Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
mv1612

Reged: 08/11/09

Re: Matching eyepieces with barlow new [Re: CosmoSat]
      #5543743 - 11/28/12 12:14 PM

Quote:

Clear Skies!

Yeah sure... in Montreal...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WAVT
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Re: Matching eyepieces with barlow new [Re: mv1612]
      #5544612 - 11/28/12 09:43 PM

The 6mm & 9mm Agena SWA are good eyepieces, as is the GSO 2x barlow. The GSO 32mm Plossl Link is pretty decent, and with the barlow you have 16mm and 21mm covered. Agena is a good vendor.

mv1612

Re: Matching eyepieces with barlow new [Re: WAVT]
      #5545144 - 11/29/12 09:14 AM

OK. I ordered the 6, 9 mm Agena EWA, 17mm Agena WA, 32mm GSO Plossl and 2x GSO Barlow. I pay $12 for shipping everything, which is pretty amazing considering what other vendors are charging for shipping to Canada.

Thanks for your help,
Virgil.

CosmoSat
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/24/09

Loc: India
      #5558392 - 12/06/12 10:26 PM

Would like to know how u find the 17mm wa performance.

Clear Skies!

mv1612

Re: Matching eyepieces with barlow new [Re: CosmoSat]
      #5560022 - 12/07/12 09:51 PM

Strangely, I haven't received them yet. When I click on the tracking number, I get some information until the 1st of December, than nothing. I'm not sure what to do...

Ha Ha
journeyman

Reged: 09/05/12

#5560470 - 12/08/12 07:31 AM

Agena 1.25" Enhanced Wide Angle Eyepiece - 9mm + Orion 2x shorty (taiwan-not china version) is a good combo, i tested them, they gave me a fantastic result, u won't regret if buying them
P/S: u need to do some trick to clean agena 9mm to get better view affter a using period times (dissemble it and use clean coton swipe it gently, at last let's use sheep'leather to clean optics again). The quality of image will be much better.

Edited by Ha Ha (12/08/12 07:33 AM)

Grava T
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Quebec, Canada
      #5560488 - 12/08/12 07:50 AM

Quote:

Strangely, I haven't received them yet. When I click on the tracking number, I get some information until the 1st of December, than nothing. I'm not sure what to do...

I wouldn't worry too much just yet. I'm in the Eastern Townships and I've ordered tons of stuff from the states and once it reaches customs there's not much updating of the tracking info until it gets out of customs. That's if USPS is handling it. If it is a USPS tracking number then you can also enter the number on Canada Post's website for tracking info as well. The Christmas postal rush might also be slowing things down a bit.

mv1612

Re: Matching eyepieces with barlow new [Re: Grava T]
      #5565482 - 12/11/12 07:42 AM

I also talked to Sarah from Agena, she told me we shouldn't worry before 3 weeks from shipping... Whew! At least 3 weeks from US to Canada! So I'll just have to wait a little bit longer...

mv1612

#5573909 - 12/16/12 10:40 AM

I got the eyepieces two days ago, I'm happy, they look good. But the prognosis here in Montreal is really bad, cloudy and snow, lots of snow. I will post again when I can try them. Virgil.

mv1612

#5601011 - 01/02/13 10:52 AM

Hello,

I had a few clear nights so I tried them and they are OK. However, I will not be able to give a detailed, critical report because of the difficulties I had during observing, as I will explain below.

I had really few clear nights so not much time to test them. Even during clear nights, the sky was never really clear, it was always kind of veiled, I always observed through thin clouds or whatever it was. And the transparency was always bad, with lots of humidity.

And of course I have light pollution which becomes even worse when you consider the glow of the snow that covers the ground... it kind of doubles the light pollution, and the contrast suffers greatly.

Then it was cold, so I never could observe comfortably. And with the cold and humidity, there was always frost. The telescope itself was OK, but frost quickly formed on the eyepieces. It was really bad. I need to learn how to fight frost. I suppose I will use a box that I will heat somehow, and I will change the eyepieces frequently.

Then I had some problems with the eyepieces. In the first night I thought blackout and kidney beaning was really bad, and I was really discouraged. But after a while, in subsequent nights, I learned that sitting greatly reduces the problem, to the point that lately it didn't really bother me.

As far as I could see the eyepieces are OK but as you can understand I can't give you any details on their performance. Also, regarding beaning, I know that it's a general problem, which is really complicated because it seems to be related to the relative values of the exit pupil (which also depends on the telescope) and the observer's pupil. And as I never used other eyepieces (except the kit eyepieces that I originally got) it's difficult for me to assess how bad my problem was, taking also into account that later I learned how to deal with it so it became less bothersome.

I'm sorry I cannot be more specific...

Virgil.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1895

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics