Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Hermie
sage

Reged: 04/20/05

Loc: Cloudy HKG
Re: 22mm Vixen LVW new [Re: Mike B]
      #5556634 - 12/05/12 11:02 PM

I have two LVW 22s that I BV with - one is the Orion brand and the other is the "new" style. Optically, they are identical and they BV without any problems.

I like them a lot.

Hermie

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
chboss
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/08

Loc: Zurich Switzerland
      #5556664 - 12/05/12 11:29 PM

Nice infos and images guys.... keep them coming!

Markus looking forward to your observation report.

best regards
Chris

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #5556779 - 12/06/12 01:32 AM

Quote:

Looking forward to reading your impressions of the EP - I got mine yesterday, although I have a feeling I'll be waiting awhile to test it out, considering the miserable weather we've been having.

Here's mine along with the mismatched set of LVWs I've collected (a couple of Orion branded ones in the mix - beggars can't be choosers!)

Terence,

Those all look really nice!

Quote:

As a point of interest, not only were the Vixen LVWs released under the "Orion" label, there were at least *two* design releases as "Vixen", and they were slightly different in build... enough so that bino-pairs wouldn't be a very good match! I learned this the hard way... bought *three* EPs used to get TWO that matched.

FYI

Those are also really nice too Mike!

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: 22mm Vixen LVW new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5556787 - 12/06/12 01:49 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

Quote:

Nice infos and images guys.... keep them coming!

Markus looking forward to your observation report.

best regards
Chris

Well, you asked for it, so here is my first impression!

I went out to a dark site the I frequent and met three friends there, (Tony, Steve and Brett). I set up my 10" scope, turned the fan on the back on full and waited. I had a few peeks into the 22mm LVW before the scope had cooled down because I was antsy and couldn't wait!....About an hour had passed, maybe almost 2 hours, so I really dug into the 22mm Vixen LVW and aimed it almost right overhead at THE DOUBLE CLUSTER.

To me, the DOUBLE CLUSTER is the ultimate test for edge sharpness because so many stars are in the field of view.

I COULDN'T BELIEVE WHAT I WAS SEEING. I looked away and yelled out aloud: "OH MY GOD" I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS !!!

The entire field of view was sharp, flat, crisp and it was like diamonds on velvet. NO PARACORR. The last view I had this sharp was when looking through a 20mm Nagler Type 2 with NO PARACORR. Why didn't I find this eyepiece a long time ago?????

Needless to say, the 22mm Vixen LVW is the BEST eyepiece I have ever used in this focal length HANDS DOWN !!!

I then swung over to M-42 in Orion, unscrewed the barlow element on my new GSO 2" ED barlow and added my orion Ultrablock and the view knocked my socks off !!! Out came the 22mm LVW + barlow element and I tried the 13mm Vixen LVW on M-42 with Orion Ultrablock and the view was great with this combination as well. I did prefer the 22mm LVW with barlow element which gave me 75x and a field of 55', which was perfect!

I also tried a few other targets with the 22mm Vixen LVW: M-37, M-35, and a few more goodies. I then looked at The Crab Nebula with the 13mm Vixen LVW at 90x and the view and scale was just right!

I GOTTA SAY ~ THESE EYEPIECES ROCK Now I have 4 eyepieces that show me a nice flat field, (22mm LVW, 13mm LVW, 10mm Pentax XW, 7mm Pentax XW). My 5th eyepiece is the Orion 38mm Q70 with seagulls and all, but very easy to look through and serves as my "finder" eyepiece.

Cheers,

tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/14/09

Loc: Missisauga, Canada
      #5557055 - 12/06/12 08:35 AM

Wonderful report, Markus. The skies cleared enough last night for me to do some very casual impromptu observing from my patio. I only used my refractor, as I didn't have the patience to setup my dob and wait for it to cool down, so it wasn't a 'true' test as I saw it (as my dob is quite a bit faster at F4.7).

In any case, I was very pleased with the views it provided; stars were pretty much pinpoints right up to the field stop, maybe they got a tiny bit softer towards the very edge, but not by much.

I scanned through the Pleiades, Hyades, the clusters in Auriga, Orion Nebula (of course) - all very nice views despite the light pollution and local street lights I have to live with.

I also followed part of Ganymede's transit across Jupiter with my 5mm LVW - very nice, sharp views of the cloud bands, and the shadow of the moon moving across its surface. Although I did notice some lateral colour with Jupiter towards the edges.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
      #5557113 - 12/06/12 09:11 AM

Mark,

Great report. I've heard that these LVW 22mm are very nice eyepieces with sharp, flat fields. The only problem I've read about them is some lateral color. But unless you're observing the Moon, who cares? Personally, I don't expect any eyepiece to be excellent at everything.

The only LVW I have is an 8mm, which I like for deep sky mostly, but also for planets once in a while. The LVW 8 and 22 are supposed to be the best of that line. I've used the 8mm for viewing the Moon a couple times, but didn't notice any inordinate amount of lateral color, if any at all. But then, I don't really go looking for it. Field curvature is my pet peeve, not so much lateral color.

I have the opportunity to pick up a used XW 20mm at a great price. The lateral color is said to be better controlled in the XW's, but the reports are that FC is pretty bad in the 20mm. It should be horrible to my eyes. On the other hand, my Paracorr will probably flatten it out fairly well. I'll probably buy the XW 20, as it's an offer I can't refuse. I'll just have to use it always with the Paracorr.

Mike

Damo636
sage

Reged: 08/16/11

Loc: Co Fermanagh, Northern Ireland
Re: 22mm Vixen LVW new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5557123 - 12/06/12 09:23 AM

Nice report Mark, the 22 sounds like a real winner!

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: 22mm Vixen LVW new [Re: Damo636]
      #5557627 - 12/06/12 02:14 PM

Thanks you guys!!!!

Quote:

I also followed part of Ganymede's transit across Jupiter with my 5mm LVW - very nice, sharp views of the cloud bands, and the shadow of the moon moving across its surface. Although I did notice some lateral colour with Jupiter towards the edges.

--------------------
Terence

Nice report from you as well Terence! All four of us went back and forth between all 4 scopes that were there and we also viewed the transit as well! It was awesome !!! At close to 11:30 PM EST, we were all just kinda standing around chit chatting when I decided to have a peek in a friend's 5" F/9 refractor which was tracking Jupiter and The moon was grazing the side of Jupiter itself and also casting a shadow !!! This was my first time ever seeing this and I forgot to mention it, as it was a huge added BONUS besides the testing of eyepieces I was doing !!!!

Cheers,

chboss
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/08

Loc: Zurich Switzerland
      #5558226 - 12/06/12 08:36 PM

Great reports, the LVW's seem to work well for all of you.
Waiting for some time under stars myself but will not happen in the coming two weeks I fear.

best regards
Chris

Scott in NCAdministrator
80mm Refractor Fanatic

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
      #5558290 - 12/06/12 09:10 PM

Quote:

Needless to say, the 22mm Vixen LVW is the BEST eyepiece I have ever used in this focal length HANDS DOWN !!!

Glad to hear you like your new EP so much, Mark! I consider mine a keeper as well.

paul hart
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Long Island, New York
Re: 22mm Vixen LVW new [Re: JBOU]
      #5559388 - 12/07/12 02:15 PM

I loved the LVW eyepiece then sold it. I missed it so much that I bought another one which I will keep forever. Primarily I use it with my Stellarvue F80. I also have a 24 Panoptic, which is another great eyepiece.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5559539 - 12/07/12 04:09 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

Terence! These look so nice I wanted to re-post them I hope you don't mind! Saves me from going back a full page to drool over them, I really like mine a lot! These are excellent for fast scopes hands down!

I have the 10mm and 7mm XW's, so I am covered in those focal lengths. I'd really like to pick up a 5mm and 3.5mm LVW though!, then I could scrap my barlow again!

Yours would net me:

55x / 75'
90x / 46'
150x / 28'
240x / 17'
343x / 12'

All I would need is the 5mm and 3.5mm LVW's! Then just maybe a 31mm Nagler or 30mm ES 82 to replace my 38mm Orion Q70 for better edge correction!

Deep13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/25/05

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5559589 - 12/07/12 04:40 PM

How much does the 22mm weigh?

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: 22mm Vixen LVW new [Re: Deep13]
      #5559610 - 12/07/12 05:02 PM

This site lists it as 15.2 oz... a skosh lighter than the shorter FLs.

They're also available here... but this version of the EP appears to be a "choking hazard", so might be somewhat smaller & lighter?

Deep13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/25/05

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5559619 - 12/07/12 05:10 PM

Yeah, I saw that. I was hoping that was the shipping weight and an overestimate. Almost a full pound. Pretty heavy.

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
      #5559769 - 12/07/12 06:31 PM

Ayup... they ain't Plossls by any stretch.

That's both good & bad.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
      #5559812 - 12/07/12 06:53 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I saw that. I was hoping that was the shipping weight and an overestimate. Almost a full pound. Pretty heavy.

15.2 oz? No way! I can't believe that. The first thing I thought when I picked it up was 'man, this is pretty light!'. If I had a scale, I would weight it but I don't.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: 22mm Vixen LVW new [Re: Starman81]
      #5559896 - 12/07/12 08:06 PM

I took liberty to getting both the 22mm and 13mm LVW's on a scale I have. I triple-checked the scale to make sure the marker was right on zero before I put them on the scale.

The 22mm LVW is exactly 14 Oz, while the 13mm LVW is just shy of 16 Oz.

22mm Vixen LVW on scale

13mm Vixen LVW on scale

Cheers,

tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: 22mm Vixen LVW [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5559945 - 12/07/12 08:45 PM

Quote:

Terence! These look so nice I wanted to re-post them I hope you don't mind!

No worries at all - repost away! In a perfect world, I would have a matched Vixen set, but from a functional standpoint, it doesn't make a difference, of course. Just for the sake of completion, I may even get the 17mm at some point, but I'm not in any hurry.

Quote:

Yours would net me:
55x / 75'
90x / 46'
150x / 28'
240x / 17'
343x / 12'

All I would need is the 5mm and 3.5mm LVW's! Then just maybe a 31mm Nagler or 30mm ES 82 to replace my 38mm Orion Q70 for better edge correction!

We must've been twins separated at birth! I will also be replacing my 38mm (and 26mm) Agena SWA, but my replacement choice will most likely be the 68° 34mm ES for the increased eye relief (and lighter weight). I just need to give my wallet some time to recover. And of course, my 10" dob has the same FL as your scope, so the magnifications I have on it are identical.

tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: 22mm Vixen LVW [Re: Deep13]
      #5559954 - 12/07/12 08:52 PM

Quote:

It's interesting how the introduction of widefield premium eyepieces has changed the perception of what's considered 'big' or 'heavy' for an eyepiece. Anything that's around 1 lb/450g is to me quite reasonable.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4919
Calendar Event: 12/01/12

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC