Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
22mm Vixen LVW
      #5548634 - 12/01/12 11:42 AM Attachment (103 downloads)

Well, I finally did it! I was contemplating between a 20mm Pentax XW, 21mm Pentax XL, or back to a 20mm Nagler T2 even though the weight of this beast was a problem before!

I got up yesterday and got an email from Starman81, (Thanks Syed !), in which he informed me that a 22mm Vixen LVW was up on Astromart! it sure was, and it was a good friend of mine who put the ad up! (JunoMike).

Well, Mike was kind enough to offer me to try out the 20mm Nag T2, 20mm XW, and 22mm Vixen LVW, so I WAS going to wait to do the shootout.....until I kept seeing the 22mm Vixen LVW,(he had 2 for sale), so I had heard that this EP was good at handling steep light cones of short FL telescopes.

I thought about it for a bit and bit the bullet! I also wanted something NEW to try.

So, I will be putting this EP through its paces when clear skies arrive! Let the games begin!

Edited by Scanning4Comets (12/01/12 11:43 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dscarpa
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/15/08

Loc: San Diego Ca.
Re: 22mm Vixen LVW new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5548732 - 12/01/12 12:41 PM

I got a 8 LVW a few months ago and it's become one of my favorites. Image quality wise it's up there with my Ethos, XWs, Delos and WO UWAN. David

and75

Reged: 08/31/10

Loc: Hungary
      #5548754 - 12/01/12 12:54 PM

Congrats, you have a wonderful eyepiece! It's my favorite in my collection. When I bought it (used from a friend of mine) I had the opportunity to buy the 8mmLVW, but I missed it.
It gives me 29x magnification, a great low mag. widefield EP. I use it more frequently than the 35pan, because the astigmatism in my eye is very disturbing when looking into the panoptic.

Edited by and75 (12/01/12 03:23 PM)

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
      #5548814 - 12/01/12 01:36 PM

Excellent eyepiece. I used to own the whole set except the 42mm and just reacquired a 22mm for outreach events as it's also one of the easy eyepieces to use with lots of eye relief. As far as using it with a fast dob I have always use a paracorr, but a friend of mine used the whole line of eyepieces for years in his 18" f4.5 dob and he never used a paracorr with them.

Cheers,

Scott in NCAdministrator
80mm Refractor Fanatic

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
Re: 22mm Vixen LVW new [Re: JimMo]
      #5548846 - 12/01/12 01:58 PM

Mark, the Vixen LVW 22mm is my favorite low-power 1.25" EP. I don't plan to ever sell mine--it's that good!

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: 22mm Vixen LVW new [Re: Scott in NC]
      #5548881 - 12/01/12 02:18 PM

Quote:

...until I kept seeing the 22mm Vixen LVW,(he had 2 for sale)...

Sounds like a BVer pair... breaking up the band, eh?

I also have such a pair- actually, both 22mm & 17mm LVW pairs. Honestly, the chances of mine showing up for sale are slim-to-none! I really adore these EPs... such nice views, sharp to the edges (Denk+Dob).

Not much doubt in my mind- you will really enjoy that 22.
Congrats!
mike b

tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/14/09

Loc: Missisauga, Canada
      #5548890 - 12/01/12 02:24 PM

Congrats, Markus - guess who got the other one? This was the last LVW I was looking for to complete my collection (I don't have the 17mm, but don't feel free the need for it). I'm quite happy with the edge performance and flat field they provide on both my scopes, so I'm expecting the same thing from the 22mm.

I'm glad he had two, as the 22mm seems to be the hardest to come by on the used market.

David E
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/25/06

Loc: North Carolina
Re: 22mm Vixen LVW new [Re: tezster]
      #5548953 - 12/01/12 03:16 PM

I'm another happy user of the 22mm LVW. It's the "starter" eyepiece in my deep space bag.

junomike
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/07/09

Loc: Ontario
      #5548954 - 12/01/12 03:16 PM

Mark and Terence! Enjoy! I really do think the 22mm (and 8mm) are the stars in the set and I contemplated selling them.

But I have waaaayyyy to much gear with doubles and triple of certain focal lengths and something had to go.
Because I mainly use my 11" SCT were the dreaded FC isn't a real Issue, I opted to keep the XW's.

As for the Binoviewer, I was really excited about getting the second 22mm LVW into my TV Bino, only to find out that I strongly preferred the 24mm Pans for eye placement.
I borrowed a second 20mm XW to try as well, but couldn't merge them

Mike

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: 22mm Vixen LVW new [Re: junomike]
      #5549010 - 12/01/12 03:54 PM

Sure Mark, I'm glad you got it! I too have one, actually a pair, that I am testing out in the binoviewer. I need the clouds to roll out to do some real observing with it though.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: 22mm Vixen LVW new [Re: Starman81]
      #5549788 - 12/02/12 04:06 AM

Damo636
sage

Reged: 08/16/11

Loc: Co Fermanagh, Northern Ireland
      #5550147 - 12/02/12 11:11 AM

Nice one Mark, congrats on a fine addition to the stall! One question...
Can the LVW be used in 2" mode like the Hyperion?

tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: 22mm Vixen LVW new [Re: Damo636]
      #5550290 - 12/02/12 12:45 PM

Yup, the LVW's have a 2" 'collar' that fits 2" focusers

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5550322 - 12/02/12 01:11 PM

Quote:

I got a 8 LVW a few months ago and it's become one of my favorites. Image quality wise it's up there with my Ethos, XWs, Delos and WO UWAN. David

David, yes the 8 is indeed a nice EP as well which I used for planets and deep sky!

Quote:

Congrats, you have a wonderful eyepiece! It's my favorite in my collection. When I bought it (used from a friend of mine) I had the opportunity to buy the 8mmLVW, but I missed it.
It gives me 29x magnification, a great low mag. widefield EP. I use it more frequently than the 35pan, because the astigmatism in my eye is very disturbing when looking into the panoptic.

Thanks! I'm more than looking forward to trying it out tonight!

Quote:

Excellent eyepiece. I used to own the whole set except the 42mm and just reacquired a 22mm for outreach events as it's also one of the easy eyepieces to use with lots of eye relief. As far as using it with a fast dob I have always use a paracorr, but a friend of mine used the whole line of eyepieces for years in his 18" f4.5 dob and he never used a paracorr with them.

Should be nice in my 10" !!!

Quote:

Mark, the Vixen LVW 22mm is my favorite low-power 1.25" EP. I don't plan to ever sell mine--it's that good!

--------------------
Clear skies,
Scott

Quote:

Sounds like a BVer pair... breaking up the band, eh?

I also have such a pair- actually, both 22mm & 17mm LVW pairs. Honestly, the chances of mine showing up for sale are slim-to-none! I really adore these EPs... such nice views, sharp to the edges (Denk+Dob).

Not much doubt in my mind- you will really enjoy that 22.
Congrats!
mike b

I hope it works out !!!

Quote:

Congrats, Markus - guess who got the other one? This was the last LVW I was looking for to complete my collection (I don't have the 17mm, but don't feel free the need for it). I'm quite happy with the edge performance and flat field they provide on both my scopes, so I'm expecting the same thing from the 22mm.

I'm glad he had two, as the 22mm seems to be the hardest to come by on the used market.

The 22mm LVW does seem to be the hardest to find Terence !!! CONGRATS!!!

Quote:

I'm another happy user of the 22mm LVW. It's the "starter" eyepiece in my deep space bag.

Nice!

Quote:

Mark and Terence! Enjoy! I really do think the 22mm (and 8mm) are the stars in the set and I contemplated selling them.

But I have waaaayyyy to much gear with doubles and triple of certain focal lengths and something had to go.
Because I mainly use my 11" SCT were the dreaded FC isn't a real Issue, I opted to keep the XW's.

As for the Binoviewer, I was really excited about getting the second 22mm LVW into my TV Bino, only to find out that I strongly preferred the 24mm Pans for eye placement.
I borrowed a second 20mm XW to try as well, but couldn't merge them

Mike

Thanks again Mike !!! From every review I have read, this one seems to handle steep light cones the best, except the 20mm Nagler T2! That was on my list as well!

Quote:

Sure Mark, I'm glad you got it! I too have one, actually a pair, that I am testing out in the binoviewer. I need the clouds to roll out to do some real observing with it though.

Me too, thanks to you!

Quote:

Nice one Mark, congrats on a fine addition to the stall! One question...
Can the LVW be used in 2" mode like the Hyperion?

Yep !!! Also, see the 2" adapter in my pic! I have it on there because I tested a 17mm LVW and it also needed the adpater so it will be parfocal with my Pentax XW's and my 38mm Orion Q70!

Cheers,

kkokkolisModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/23/09

Loc: Piraeus, Greece
      #5550419 - 12/02/12 02:12 PM

I used it once with my 12" f/4.9 and then the f/4 Stellarvue finder. It is a great eyepiece. A pitty they didn't stretch it to 24mm 68 for maximum TFOV.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Re: 22mm Vixen LVW new [Re: kkokkolis]
      #5550518 - 12/02/12 03:16 PM

Quote:

I used it once with my 12" f/4.9 and then the f/4 Stellarvue finder. It is a great eyepiece. A pitty they didn't stretch it to 24mm 68 for maximum TFOV.

I'm guessing there is a design constraint for 68* degree eyepieces of 24mm focal length that they cannot achieve 20mm eye relief, or else it would have been accomplished long ago. The Pan 24 and Orion Stratus 24mm have 15mm ER, Baader Hyperion 24 has 17mm ER and the ES68 24mm has 18mm (not all usable though).

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5550612 - 12/02/12 04:04 PM

Quote:

I'm guessing there is a design constraint for 68* degree eyepieces of 24mm focal length that they cannot achieve 20mm eye relief, or else it would have been accomplished long ago. The Pan 24 and Orion Stratus 24mm have 15mm ER, Baader Hyperion 24 has 17mm ER and the ES68 24mm has 18mm (not all usable though).

And the 24mm Panoptic, (to me), is the BEST of the bunch. The edge correction alone gives that EP big pointers!

Cheers,

Mike B
Starstruck

#5550725 - 12/02/12 05:32 PM

Quote:

And the 24mm Panoptic, (to me), is the BEST of the bunch.

I can see where one would say this. However, for those of us with eyeglasses for astigmatism, the 24-Pan is not so hot... its ER notably lacking, that its marvelous 68* field is reduced to an effective ~50*; may as well use a Plossl.

Additionally, for Denk BVers, and units with similar prism sizes, the 24-Pan will likely vignette some. As i've stated many times- there is a reason that Denk markets a 21mm 65* EP! It better suits this type of BVer... something the 22-LVW also does exceedingly well!

eklf
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/12/07

Loc: Carrboro, NC
Re: 22mm Vixen LVW new [Re: Mike B]
      #5551071 - 12/02/12 09:14 PM

Quote:

....that its marvelous 68* field is reduced ...

There was some discussion years ago here, the gist of which is that the 24 pan is not a full 68* but more like 64*

JBOU

Reged: 01/11/11

Loc: Canada
      #5551113 - 12/02/12 09:36 PM

I've got one one the way for Christmas. After reading all the above posts, it's getting very hard to wait. Mine's coming from Japan with a friend who's visiting for Christmas. I lucked out - my friend's visit coincided with a sale in Japan that I learnt about in another thread.

Jim

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: 22mm Vixen LVW new [Re: JBOU]
      #5551135 - 12/02/12 09:51 PM

Quote:

There was some discussion years ago here, the gist of which is that the 24 pan is not a full 68* but more like 64*

Well, according to David Knisely, the 24mm Pan was bench tested and measured @ 69.7° apparent FOV!

http://www.cloudynights.com/documents/24panoptic.pdf

Mike B
Starstruck

#5551281 - 12/02/12 11:32 PM

In any event, it did me little good in my BVers... if i viewed comfortably, my eyeglasses limited me to maybe ~low-60's for field, and if i pushed-in to where i could see the whole show, my glasses were pressed uncomfortably against my nose/face, and i was treated to notable edge-darkening from bino-vignetting. Finally got fed up, moved to an older pair of Meade 24.5mm SWA's which were much better in EVERY regard- except edge correction. Those were probably 62-64* AFoV designs.

Finally, pulled the trigger on the 22mm LVW's, already having a pair of 17's that i adored! They both measure out to ~63* AFoV, but it's a gorgeously sharp and accessible field, easy on us eyeglass users, and pretty much killer on EVERYthing they look at- deepsky, planets, lunar! Neutral of tone i'd say, unlike the Pans which were the TeleVue-standard... slightly warm.

Honestly, if i were a bare-eyed mono-view observer, i would've simply stuck with the 24-Pans, and been happy as a clam. I'm certainly into the chowder now... just took a longer & circuitous route to get there.
LVWs rock!

chboss
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/08

Loc: Zurich Switzerland
      #5551491 - 12/03/12 03:59 AM

Hi Jim

The eyepieces are still on sale here in Japan... after getting the 8mm and 22mm I am wondering if the 5mm would be any good?

best regards
Chris

fuzzystuff4ever

Reged: 11/26/12

Loc: Micco, FL
Re: 22mm Vixen LVW new [Re: chboss]
      #5551634 - 12/03/12 08:20 AM

I have the 17mm and it's my absolute favorite eyepiece. Hope to get the whole set someday.

Brian

Damo636
sage

Re: 22mm Vixen LVW new [Re: fuzzystuff4ever]
      #5551786 - 12/03/12 10:32 AM

I've been holding out for a used 5mm XW to rear its head but this thread has now got me thinking the LVW 5 could be good alternative?

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

#5551949 - 12/03/12 12:30 PM

Quote:

I've been holding out for a used 5mm XW to rear its head but this thread has now got me thinking the LVW 5 could be good alternative?

But you would then upset the perfect symmetry you could have if you get the XW 5 of 3 TeleVue and 3 Pentax in your lineup!!

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5551954 - 12/03/12 12:33 PM

I was holding out for a 20mm Pentax XW, but money wise, the 22mm Vixen LVW was a no brainer. I also wanted the 20mm XW because it would match my 10mm & 7mm XW's, but over time and a dozen reviews, the 22mm LVW came up with better reviews than the 20mm XW field curvature wise. So I figured, what the heck, who really cares about "matching eyepieces." I think the 5mm LVW would be just fine, unless you're worried about lateral color.

I think the LVW's show more lateral color than the XW's if I am not mistaken? Maybe you could try before you buy?

http://www.spanglefish.com/cromartyvortex/index.asp?pageid=72855#Vixen_LVW

Cheers,

JBOU

#5552473 - 12/03/12 05:34 PM

Chris,

Don't do this to me! With the shop's awesome $8 overnight shipping, I still have time to get another focal length in my friend's hands. It's just that I already have 17mm and 13mm covered acceptably. The 22 will be replacing my 24 hyperion, which didn't quite do it for me both eye relief wise and view.

But then again, I've never been too happy with the view the 13mm hyperion gave me either...

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

#5552543 - 12/03/12 06:24 PM

Quote:

Chris,

Don't do this to me! With the shop's awesome $8 overnight shipping, I still have time to get another focal length in my friend's hands. It's just that I already have 17mm and 13mm covered acceptably. The 22 will be replacing my 24 hyperion, which didn't quite do it for me both eye relief wise and view.

But then again, I've never been too happy with the view the 13mm hyperion gave me either...

Ditch the 17mm and get the 22mm... That will give you a better spacing of powers, 68x and 115x instead of 68x and 88x and then you can dispense of the 24mm Hyperion as well.

tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

#5552552 - 12/03/12 06:29 PM

Incidentally, I'm getting the LVWs as a replacement for my (mostly) Orion Stratus EP set I was previously using (and still do on some occasions), which are functionally similar to the Hyperions. While they're pretty decent EPs for their price, I wasn't entirely happy with their off-axis performance (on my 10" dob).

chboss
professor emeritus

#5553161 - 12/04/12 12:14 AM

I hear you....
The 22mm will also replace a 24mm Hyperion in my case.
8mm will go against a Nagler Type1 9mm, we will see how that goes.

The 5mm would be an alternative to some tight Ortho, with much more comfortable eye relief.... did not make up my mind yet.

best regards
Chris

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5553182 - 12/04/12 12:26 AM

Looks like I will be picking up another FL from The Vixen LVW line as well now !!!

chboss
professor emeritus

#5554806 - 12/04/12 10:56 PM

Markus... keeping Santa busy?

best regards
Chris

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5554940 - 12/05/12 12:51 AM

Yes Chris! I picked the eyepiece up a few hours ago! I will have some clear skies tomorrow night to test the 22mm LVW, 13mm LVW and new GSO ED barlow!

This will be fun! It's supposed to go down to -8 degrees C too !!!! (For my fellow Americans, this will be 27 degrees F, and feeling like 18) !!!

Cheers,

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5555674 - 12/05/12 01:21 PM Attachment (40 downloads)

Here they are together !!! The two VIXEN LVW Bros !!!!

Heading out tonight to test these puppies out !!! Thanks again Mike, (JunoMike). !!!!

dscarpa
Post Laureate

#5555906 - 12/05/12 04:03 PM

Nice! I used to have 8, 17 and 24 regular Hyperions and my 8 LVW is much better image quality wise. My Hyperion Zoon and 31 Aspheric are a lot better than the regular Hyperions but not at the LVW's level. David

Edited by dscarpa (12/05/12 04:04 PM)

tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

#5556210 - 12/05/12 07:02 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

Looking forward to reading your impressions of the EP - I got mine yesterday, although I have a feeling I'll be waiting awhile to test it out, considering the miserable weather we've been having.

Here's mine along with the mismatched set of LVWs I've collected (a couple of Orion branded ones in the mix - beggars can't be choosers!)

Edited by tezster (12/05/12 07:03 PM)

Mike B
Starstruck

#5556244 - 12/05/12 07:21 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

As a point of interest, not only were the Vixen LVWs released under the "Orion" label, there were at least *two* design releases as "Vixen", and they were slightly different in build... enough so that bino-pairs wouldn't be a very good match! I learned this the hard way... bought *three* EPs used to get TWO that matched.

FYI

tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

#5556292 - 12/05/12 07:49 PM

I was wondering about that! I thought it was a little odd why my 8mm didn't have the "LVW" printed on the side. I found both varieties when checking images on Google, so I assumed they simply changed the printing at some point.

Edited by tezster (12/05/12 07:50 PM)

Mike B
Starstruck

#5556423 - 12/05/12 09:06 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

Here's another shot, more in profile. While in my possession, i attempted BVing with them; for *both* to reach focus, one had to be pulled out of the BVer's collets quite a bit... it stayed in okay, and i could view that way- but the very real concern of that EP slipping out & heading south made me wait 'til i had a truly matching set.

The one's withOUT the 'LVW' in bold caps are the *older* of the two versions. I ended up with *newer* pairs of the 17's, then later the 22's also. These two sets represent probably 90% of my BVer use.

At least for the 22's i KNEW what to look for, so that time it only took TWO trys to get a match!

Hermie
sage

Reged: 04/20/05

Loc: Cloudy HKG
      #5556634 - 12/05/12 11:02 PM

I have two LVW 22s that I BV with - one is the Orion brand and the other is the "new" style. Optically, they are identical and they BV without any problems.

I like them a lot.

Hermie

chboss
professor emeritus

#5556664 - 12/05/12 11:29 PM

Nice infos and images guys.... keep them coming!

Markus looking forward to your observation report.

best regards
Chris

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5556779 - 12/06/12 01:32 AM

Quote:

Looking forward to reading your impressions of the EP - I got mine yesterday, although I have a feeling I'll be waiting awhile to test it out, considering the miserable weather we've been having.

Here's mine along with the mismatched set of LVWs I've collected (a couple of Orion branded ones in the mix - beggars can't be choosers!)

Terence,

Those all look really nice!

Quote:

As a point of interest, not only were the Vixen LVWs released under the "Orion" label, there were at least *two* design releases as "Vixen", and they were slightly different in build... enough so that bino-pairs wouldn't be a very good match! I learned this the hard way... bought *three* EPs used to get TWO that matched.

FYI

Those are also really nice too Mike!

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5556787 - 12/06/12 01:49 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

Quote:

Nice infos and images guys.... keep them coming!

Markus looking forward to your observation report.

best regards
Chris

Well, you asked for it, so here is my first impression!

I went out to a dark site the I frequent and met three friends there, (Tony, Steve and Brett). I set up my 10" scope, turned the fan on the back on full and waited. I had a few peeks into the 22mm LVW before the scope had cooled down because I was antsy and couldn't wait!....About an hour had passed, maybe almost 2 hours, so I really dug into the 22mm Vixen LVW and aimed it almost right overhead at THE DOUBLE CLUSTER.

To me, the DOUBLE CLUSTER is the ultimate test for edge sharpness because so many stars are in the field of view.

I COULDN'T BELIEVE WHAT I WAS SEEING. I looked away and yelled out aloud: "OH MY GOD" I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS !!!

The entire field of view was sharp, flat, crisp and it was like diamonds on velvet. NO PARACORR. The last view I had this sharp was when looking through a 20mm Nagler Type 2 with NO PARACORR. Why didn't I find this eyepiece a long time ago?????

Needless to say, the 22mm Vixen LVW is the BEST eyepiece I have ever used in this focal length HANDS DOWN !!!

I then swung over to M-42 in Orion, unscrewed the barlow element on my new GSO 2" ED barlow and added my orion Ultrablock and the view knocked my socks off !!! Out came the 22mm LVW + barlow element and I tried the 13mm Vixen LVW on M-42 with Orion Ultrablock and the view was great with this combination as well. I did prefer the 22mm LVW with barlow element which gave me 75x and a field of 55', which was perfect!

I also tried a few other targets with the 22mm Vixen LVW: M-37, M-35, and a few more goodies. I then looked at The Crab Nebula with the 13mm Vixen LVW at 90x and the view and scale was just right!

I GOTTA SAY ~ THESE EYEPIECES ROCK Now I have 4 eyepieces that show me a nice flat field, (22mm LVW, 13mm LVW, 10mm Pentax XW, 7mm Pentax XW). My 5th eyepiece is the Orion 38mm Q70 with seagulls and all, but very easy to look through and serves as my "finder" eyepiece.

Cheers,

tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

#5557055 - 12/06/12 08:35 AM

Wonderful report, Markus. The skies cleared enough last night for me to do some very casual impromptu observing from my patio. I only used my refractor, as I didn't have the patience to setup my dob and wait for it to cool down, so it wasn't a 'true' test as I saw it (as my dob is quite a bit faster at F4.7).

In any case, I was very pleased with the views it provided; stars were pretty much pinpoints right up to the field stop, maybe they got a tiny bit softer towards the very edge, but not by much.

I scanned through the Pleiades, Hyades, the clusters in Auriga, Orion Nebula (of course) - all very nice views despite the light pollution and local street lights I have to live with.

I also followed part of Ganymede's transit across Jupiter with my 5mm LVW - very nice, sharp views of the cloud bands, and the shadow of the moon moving across its surface. Although I did notice some lateral colour with Jupiter towards the edges.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
      #5557113 - 12/06/12 09:11 AM

Mark,

Great report. I've heard that these LVW 22mm are very nice eyepieces with sharp, flat fields. The only problem I've read about them is some lateral color. But unless you're observing the Moon, who cares? Personally, I don't expect any eyepiece to be excellent at everything.

The only LVW I have is an 8mm, which I like for deep sky mostly, but also for planets once in a while. The LVW 8 and 22 are supposed to be the best of that line. I've used the 8mm for viewing the Moon a couple times, but didn't notice any inordinate amount of lateral color, if any at all. But then, I don't really go looking for it. Field curvature is my pet peeve, not so much lateral color.

I have the opportunity to pick up a used XW 20mm at a great price. The lateral color is said to be better controlled in the XW's, but the reports are that FC is pretty bad in the 20mm. It should be horrible to my eyes. On the other hand, my Paracorr will probably flatten it out fairly well. I'll probably buy the XW 20, as it's an offer I can't refuse. I'll just have to use it always with the Paracorr.

Mike

Damo636
sage

Re: 22mm Vixen LVW new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5557123 - 12/06/12 09:23 AM

Nice report Mark, the 22 sounds like a real winner!

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5557627 - 12/06/12 02:14 PM

Thanks you guys!!!!

Quote:

I also followed part of Ganymede's transit across Jupiter with my 5mm LVW - very nice, sharp views of the cloud bands, and the shadow of the moon moving across its surface. Although I did notice some lateral colour with Jupiter towards the edges.

--------------------
Terence

Nice report from you as well Terence! All four of us went back and forth between all 4 scopes that were there and we also viewed the transit as well! It was awesome !!! At close to 11:30 PM EST, we were all just kinda standing around chit chatting when I decided to have a peek in a friend's 5" F/9 refractor which was tracking Jupiter and The moon was grazing the side of Jupiter itself and also casting a shadow !!! This was my first time ever seeing this and I forgot to mention it, as it was a huge added BONUS besides the testing of eyepieces I was doing !!!!

Cheers,

chboss
professor emeritus

#5558226 - 12/06/12 08:36 PM

Great reports, the LVW's seem to work well for all of you.
Waiting for some time under stars myself but will not happen in the coming two weeks I fear.

best regards
Chris

Scott in NCAdministrator
80mm Refractor Fanatic

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
      #5558290 - 12/06/12 09:10 PM

Quote:

Needless to say, the 22mm Vixen LVW is the BEST eyepiece I have ever used in this focal length HANDS DOWN !!!

Glad to hear you like your new EP so much, Mark! I consider mine a keeper as well.

paul hart
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Long Island, New York
      #5559388 - 12/07/12 02:15 PM

I loved the LVW eyepiece then sold it. I missed it so much that I bought another one which I will keep forever. Primarily I use it with my Stellarvue F80. I also have a 24 Panoptic, which is another great eyepiece.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5559539 - 12/07/12 04:09 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

Terence! These look so nice I wanted to re-post them I hope you don't mind! Saves me from going back a full page to drool over them, I really like mine a lot! These are excellent for fast scopes hands down!

I have the 10mm and 7mm XW's, so I am covered in those focal lengths. I'd really like to pick up a 5mm and 3.5mm LVW though!, then I could scrap my barlow again!

Yours would net me:

55x / 75'
90x / 46'
150x / 28'
240x / 17'
343x / 12'

All I would need is the 5mm and 3.5mm LVW's! Then just maybe a 31mm Nagler or 30mm ES 82 to replace my 38mm Orion Q70 for better edge correction!

Deep13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/25/05

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5559589 - 12/07/12 04:40 PM

How much does the 22mm weigh?

Mike B
Starstruck

Re: 22mm Vixen LVW new [Re: Deep13]
      #5559610 - 12/07/12 05:02 PM

This site lists it as 15.2 oz... a skosh lighter than the shorter FLs.

They're also available here... but this version of the EP appears to be a "choking hazard", so might be somewhat smaller & lighter?

Deep13
Carpal Tunnel

#5559619 - 12/07/12 05:10 PM

Yeah, I saw that. I was hoping that was the shipping weight and an overestimate. Almost a full pound. Pretty heavy.

Mike B
Starstruck

#5559769 - 12/07/12 06:31 PM

Ayup... they ain't Plossls by any stretch.

That's both good & bad.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

#5559812 - 12/07/12 06:53 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I saw that. I was hoping that was the shipping weight and an overestimate. Almost a full pound. Pretty heavy.

15.2 oz? No way! I can't believe that. The first thing I thought when I picked it up was 'man, this is pretty light!'. If I had a scale, I would weight it but I don't.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5559896 - 12/07/12 08:06 PM

I took liberty to getting both the 22mm and 13mm LVW's on a scale I have. I triple-checked the scale to make sure the marker was right on zero before I put them on the scale.

The 22mm LVW is exactly 14 Oz, while the 13mm LVW is just shy of 16 Oz.

22mm Vixen LVW on scale

13mm Vixen LVW on scale

Cheers,

tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

#5559945 - 12/07/12 08:45 PM

Quote:

Terence! These look so nice I wanted to re-post them I hope you don't mind!

No worries at all - repost away! In a perfect world, I would have a matched Vixen set, but from a functional standpoint, it doesn't make a difference, of course. Just for the sake of completion, I may even get the 17mm at some point, but I'm not in any hurry.

Quote:

Yours would net me:
55x / 75'
90x / 46'
150x / 28'
240x / 17'
343x / 12'

All I would need is the 5mm and 3.5mm LVW's! Then just maybe a 31mm Nagler or 30mm ES 82 to replace my 38mm Orion Q70 for better edge correction!

We must've been twins separated at birth! I will also be replacing my 38mm (and 26mm) Agena SWA, but my replacement choice will most likely be the 68° 34mm ES for the increased eye relief (and lighter weight). I just need to give my wallet some time to recover. And of course, my 10" dob has the same FL as your scope, so the magnifications I have on it are identical.

tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

#5559954 - 12/07/12 08:52 PM

Quote:

It's interesting how the introduction of widefield premium eyepieces has changed the perception of what's considered 'big' or 'heavy' for an eyepiece. Anything that's around 1 lb/450g is to me quite reasonable.

dscarpa
Post Laureate

#5560018 - 12/07/12 09:48 PM

As with image quality my 8 LVW's weight fits in nicely with my XWs, Delos and Ethos. David

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

#5560110 - 12/07/12 10:51 PM

Quote:

I took liberty to getting both the 22mm and 13mm LVW's on a scale I have. I triple-checked the scale to make sure the marker was right on zero before I put them on the scale.

The 22mm LVW is exactly 14 Oz, while the 13mm LVW is just shy of 16 Oz.

22mm Vixen LVW on scale

13mm Vixen LVW on scale

Cheers,

'Ask and you shall receive' is definitely true on CN--thanks Mark. Still, heavier than I thought. No problem for me, I like heavy EPs!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
      #5560588 - 12/08/12 09:49 AM

All of these LVW are featherweights compared to the Ethos, ES 100 degree and ES 82 30mm eyepieces.

Mike

Deep13
Carpal Tunnel

#5561349 - 12/08/12 07:03 PM

Thanks for the weight figures, Scanning4Comets.

JBOU

#5574296 - 12/16/12 03:00 PM

Yeah, looks like that's what I'll be doing. The 22mm LVW has been purchased to replace the 24mm hyperion, and yesterday I put the order through for the 13mm LVW to replace the 13mm hyperion. Even though the 17mm hyperion really works well for me, I don't need to use it all that often. So all three of the hyperions will probably put up for sale once I receive the LVWs.

JBOU

#5574338 - 12/16/12 03:22 PM

Chris,

I just got back from a business/company Christmas trip out west last Wednesday, and I was still being nagged by this. Luckily my Christmas bonus was better than expected so I put an order in for the 13mm yesterday! Otherwise I would have had to pass up. Alot of unexpected expenses this month: the trip, a furnace that must be replaced within the next couple of weeks and to cap it all off, my father in-law broke my garage door while we were away.

Thanks again for posting that sale!

Jim

DRodrigues

Reged: 08/08/11

#5721135 - 03/08/13 08:28 PM

Has this model lens in the 1.25" barrel (as the lower focal lengths) or it doesn't, as the Pano 24 and the Hyperion 24?
"...
measure out to ~63* AFoV ..." Can someone else confirm this AFOV value. My idea is to use them in my BV replacing the Meade 26/60, but read somewhere that these model has a bit >60º AFOV, so the gain in AFOV wouldn't be significant...
The Pano 24 aren't for me - I use eye-glasses, this ep doesn't have good ER and definitely have also less than the 68º, as Tammy estimated - I didn't estimated it but the TFOV is smaller than the one of Meade or the Hyperion 24. The Hyperion also isn't for me since in my daylight combo don't show flat field and the ER still isn't good enough...

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: 22mm Vixen LVW new [Re: DRodrigues]
      #5721333 - 03/08/13 10:32 PM

I was out with my scope again tonight at the dark spot I frequent. I had another gander and The Double Cluster in Perseus with the 22mm LVW ~ Super sharp right to the extreme edges !!!!

SkyRanger

Reged: 10/21/10

Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ
      #5721754 - 03/09/13 08:17 AM

My 8" dob has limited infocus, but works perfectly with TV plossls and Radians. Does anyone have any idea how much infocus the 22 LVW needs in comparison to the TVs?

Thanks,
Gordon

Edited by SkyRanger (03/09/13 08:18 AM)

DRodrigues

Reged: 08/08/11

#5722902 - 03/09/13 07:55 PM

Quote:

Has this model lens in the 1.25" barrel (as the lower focal lengths) or it doesn't, as the Pano 24 and the Hyperion 24?

The reason of this question is because I already saw many photos of the eye lens but none from the 1.25" inside barrel...

vinnie
Minister of Misinformation . . . Oh Yes

Reged: 01/05/08

Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #5722933 - 03/09/13 08:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The reason of this question is because I already saw many photos of the eye lens but none from the 1.25" inside barrel...

Yes the 22mm has the tele negative group in a 1.25" barrel, the same as all those of shorter lengths. The only LVWs that are dedicated 2" are the NLVW 30, LVW 42 and NLVW 50

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4922
Calendar Event: 12/01/12

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC