Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
Traveler
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/19/07

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5625569 - 01/16/13 02:02 AM

If the BCO ep series are at least on pair with my BGO 7mm, then i would like to buy some of them. I use the 7 a lot on planets.
After using it last saterday on Jupiter, i concluded (again)that the BGO 7mm is a marvelous ep. These are exciting times. I wonder how good the BCO barlow will be as well.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression new [Re: ibase]
      #5625748 - 01/16/13 08:17 AM

Hernando,

Ideally, I wanted two of the BCO 10mm for binoviewing. I already have a BGO 6mm and a bino pair of BGO 18mm, so I didn't feel a need for the BCO 6 or 18.

But now I'm in pursuit of a second BCO 10 for the binoviewer. So far I've ordered from two different companies (HPS and Adorama). Both showed status as in stock, ready to ship, ships in three days or some such on their websites. And both sent me emails the very next day saying the BCO 10 is not actually in stock and they are not sure when the eyepiece would be available.

The game is afoot!

Mike

Peter Natscher
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/28/06

Loc: Central Coast California
Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5625908 - 01/16/13 10:10 AM

I'm going ahead and ordering two each of the 6mm, 10mm, and 18mm BCOs for binoviewing.

Quote:

Hernando,

Ideally, I wanted two of the BCO 10mm for binoviewing. I already have a BGO 6mm and a bino pair of BGO 18mm, so I didn't feel a need for the BCO 6 or 18.

But now I'm in pursuit of a second BCO 10 for the binoviewer. So far I've ordered from two different companies (HPS and Adorama). Both showed status as in stock, ready to ship, ships in three days or some such on their websites. And both sent me emails the very next day saying the BCO 10 is not actually in stock and they are not sure when the eyepiece would be available.

The game is afoot!

Mike

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
      #5626053 - 01/16/13 11:49 AM

Quote:

Hernando,

The game is afoot!

Oh yes it is Mike! Knew it, such a patient astronomer who's bagged hundreds of faint DSO's really wouldn't mind the wait, congrats again and do let us know how you like the BCO10, you shoot from the hip and say it as it is, like that!

Best,

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/11/11

Loc: West Tennessee
      #5626144 - 01/16/13 12:52 PM

I would be interested to hear from any new BCO owners who also own Brandon EP's regarding the difference in backfocus between the two lines.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5627124 - 01/16/13 10:11 PM

Hernando,

This morning I put in an order at Agena Astro for a BCO 10mm. I've already received an email saying that it has shipped. Good job! Soon I can binoview with a pair of BCO 10's!

Mike

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
      #5627190 - 01/16/13 10:46 PM

Wow, that was fast, kudos to Agena! The nearest pair I have to 10mm are 12.5mm UO volcano tops; looking forward to your report on how the BCO 10mm pair fares on your binoviewer.

Best,

nightfisher

Reged: 11/06/11

Loc: Huddersfield UK
      #5628285 - 01/17/13 03:17 PM

I have just ordered the BCO x2.25 barlow, if its good then i will sell my TAL x2 barlow

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression new [Re: nightfisher]
      #5628407 - 01/17/13 04:21 PM

I have the Baader Q-Turret on the way with an expected delivery of tomorrow.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression new [Re: Ain Soph Aur]
      #5628442 - 01/17/13 04:40 PM

I also ordered the Q-Turret from Agena. ETA is the day after tomorrow.

Mike

stevetaylor199
sage

Reged: 09/21/11

Loc: SE Wisconsin
      #5628695 - 01/17/13 07:17 PM

I'm really curious about the Q-turret. For the price it seems pretty interesting -- a nice little gadget to compare eyepieces (or even filters, if you have more than one of each eyepiece), and, as the sales photos suggest, centering targets for a CCD or perhaps a powermate+camera.

But what totally turns me off to it is that it uses a single setscrew in each barrel, with no compression band! That seems especially ironic given that I do not see a setscrew recess in these new eyepieces. (And that's a good thing.)

Anyway, I'm getting a 6mm and 10mm from Agena tomorrow myself, and I'll get to see what the deal is with setscrew recesses.

XwarpfactorX

Reged: 11/29/12

Loc: California
Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression new [Re: stevetaylor199]
      #5629029 - 01/17/13 10:37 PM

I'm very interested in that Q-turret set, seems like a smart set-up if it works as advertised. I'm looking forward to reading some reviews of it.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5629081 - 01/17/13 11:04 PM

stevetaylor199,

Quote:

But what totally turns me off to it is that it uses a single setscrew in each barrel, with no compression band! That seems especially ironic given that I do not see a setscrew recess in these new eyepieces. (And that's a good thing.)

Yes, compression bands are better. But you'd probably be putting relatively small, light weight eyepieces in the turret. No need for more than one setscrew. In fact, more than one setscrew would probably just get in the way and overly complicate things. Eight setscrews in total? I don't think so. Ideally, the turret would use four twist-locks, but the price would probably increase substantially. It'd be worth it, though.

I don't like setscrew recesses in eyepieces. They get the eyepieces hung up. Yes, it's a good thing that the BCO's don't have them.

Mike

stevetaylor199
sage

Reged: 09/21/11

Loc: SE Wisconsin
      #5629199 - 01/18/13 12:29 AM

Good points Mike. If the turret is up to the task, I'll probably get one... and I would just replace the screws with non-marring nylon screws.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5629405 - 01/18/13 06:48 AM

Yep, I've meant to replace all my focuser and diagonal setscrews with nylon ones. One of these days.

Mike

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
      #5629567 - 01/18/13 09:46 AM

Quote:

Yep, I've meant replace all my focuser and diagonal setscrews with nylon ones. One of these days.

Mike

I think that is a good idea! Save the eyepieces from set screw dimples.

Anyway, I just got my set yesterday Really cool packaging...and not one box but two!! The whole setup is nicely arranged in a tin box, and the tin box comes in a paper box with all sorts of pics and instructions and stuff written on it. 30 years from now I can see the used market ads now as to the "rare" set that comes with both boxes

I had not seen the Q-Turret before in the flesh. The tubes that hold the eyepieces and the tube that inserts in the focuser are metal [Correction - the eyepiece tubes are not metal], the rest of the unit is some sort of polymer. I appears sturdy and the position lock mechanisms seem robust enough to handle frequent use. I was happy to see this as was unsure how robust the unit would be. I knew it was not all metal construction...how could it be at such a low price for a complete system with eyepieces! Anyway, should be clear tonight so am looking forward to giving it a spin (pardon the pun) tonight and to see how these 4 eyepieces and Barlow perform as a complete 1.25" solution.

Edited by BillP (01/20/13 10:30 AM)

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression new [Re: BillP]
      #5629582 - 01/18/13 09:58 AM

I understand the BCO are all parfocal? That would make sense for the Q-turret. I probably will use the turret with a mix of diverse eyepieces - that's how I roll. It might be worthwhile to rig up parfocalizing rings and such to make a mixed-set parfocal.

Then there is the question of which eyepieces will actually come to focus in the turret when used without a Barlow or OCA in any of my Dobs. But I suppose a set of four longer focal-length simple-glass eyepieces in the turret with a Barlow or OCA would not be a bad thing.

Mike

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5629677 - 01/18/13 10:53 AM

My Baader Q-Turret is out for delivery so I should be able to try it out tonight. Replacing the set screws with nylon screws sounds like an excellent plan. Does anyone know what size the screws are?

Manish
Vendor (AGENA AstroProducts)

Reged: 02/22/05

Loc: Los Angeles Area, CA
Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression [Re: Ain Soph Aur]
      #5630030 - 01/18/13 02:31 PM

>>Does anyone know what size the screws are?

M4-0.7 x 10mm thread length

Regards,
Manish
www.AgenaAstro.com

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression [Re: BillP]
      #5630042 - 01/18/13 02:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yep, I've meant replace all my focuser and diagonal setscrews with nylon ones. One of these days.

Mike

I think that is a good idea! Save the eyepieces from set screw dimples.

Anyway, I just got my set yesterday Really cool packaging...and not one box but two!! The whole setup is nicely arranged in a tin box, and the tin box comes in a paper box with all sorts of pics and instructions and stuff written on it. 30 years from now I can see the used market ads now as to the "rare" set that comes with both boxes

I had not seen the Q-Turret before in the flesh. The tubes that hold the eyepieces and the tube that inserts in the focuser are metal, the rest of the unit is some sort of polymer. I appears sturdy and the position lock mechanisms seem robust enough to handle frequent use. I was happy to see this as was unsure how robust the unit would be. I knew it was not all metal construction...how could it be at such a low price for a complete system with eyepieces! Anyway, should be clear tonight so am looking forward to giving it a spin (pardon the pun) tonight and to see how these 4 eyepieces and Barlow perform as a complete 1.25" solution.

Looking forward to your impressions of this production set.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14365

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics