Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
Re: Eyepiece cleaning woes new [Re: rgm40]
      #5617353 - 01/11/13 02:18 PM

I take the other approach and inspect and clean my eyepieces after each night of use. A small speck or spot that would be insignificant on the objective can affect a noticeable portion of the image if that same spot is on the eyepiece. The other reason to clean regularly is that some surface contaminants can become much more difficult to remove once they have been sitting there for a while.

As Johnny posted I would try saliva on the pad of your finger, it will clean organics off the glass that nothing else removes and the clean pad of your finger is very soft and friendly to glass. Just be sure to clean the saliva off before it dries or it will leave a difficult to remove stain.

If that doesn't work, try Kodak lens cleaning solution, Zeiss lens cleaning solution, acetone, methanol, or MEK (in that order).

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tomcody
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
      #5647720 - 01/28/13 10:01 AM

I have seen the small spots you refered to when cleaning. They have always been the result of contaminated cleaning cloths, the most recent example, ( I start cleaning by blowing off the lens with a bulb blower followed by brushing the surface with a Edmund Optics lens brush to loosen any particles along the edge of the lens, then blowing again), was caused by ( eyelash oil? ) contamination on the brush. Cleaning the brush with alcohol fixed that issue. I would be very suspicious of any lens cleaning cloths that were not new out of the package. Purosol is a very good cleaner but remember, any cleaner just suspends the oil or grease and that can find its way onto the cleaning cloths etc to be re-deposited again.
Rex

Edited by tomcody (01/28/13 10:02 AM)

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Eyepiece cleaning woes new [Re: tomcody]
      #5647785 - 01/28/13 10:48 AM

Quote:

I have seen the small spots you refered to when cleaning. They have always been the result of contaminated cleaning cloths, the most recent example, ( I start cleaning by blowing off the lens with a bulb blower followed by brushing the surface with a Edmund Optics lens brush to loosen any particles along the edge of the lens, then blowing again), was caused by ( eyelash oil? ) contamination on the brush. Cleaning the brush with alcohol fixed that issue. I would be very suspicious of any lens cleaning cloths that were not new out of the package. Purosol is a very good cleaner but remember, any cleaner just suspends the oil or grease and that can find its way onto the cleaning cloths etc to be re-deposited again.
Rex

Which is why new q-tips, disposed of after one wipe of the lens surface, remains the easiest way to clean an eyepiece lens: guaranteed clean upon application to the lens, quite absorbent, and easy to manipulate into the "corners".

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: Eyepiece cleaning woes new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5648312 - 01/28/13 02:17 PM

Quote:

6) Human spit. Ultimate remover of organic compounds from glass.

Exactly!!! Did this last evening...no solvent was getting the spots off, until I put some spit on it...then right off it came

One also has to remember when there are "spots" to be removed to be patient. Don't expect instant gratification by applying and then immediately taking off. Put a dab of the alcohol or saliva on and let it seit for 30 seconds or more, then wipe. takes some time for the chemical/enzyme reactions to occur and loosen things up.

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
Re: Eyepiece cleaning woes new [Re: BillP]
      #5649694 - 01/29/13 04:26 AM

Quite surprised to read the original post on this thread because I've been using Purosol to good results on my EP's. So I experimented and did exactly as described by the OP with my own Ultima 18mm (old classic) just like the one cited on the OP; here's the result:

Ultima 18mm newly cleaned with Purosol

There were no bright spots or anything not normal on the Ultima 18 eye lens after being cleaned with Purosol, just clean glass with its coatings perfectly intact as has always been the result when I clean my other EP's using Purosol. Really puzzled what happened to OP's Ultima 18mm/other EP's.

Best,

rgm40
sage

Reged: 04/15/08

Loc: Western Kentucky
Re: Eyepiece cleaning woes new [Re: ibase]
      #5651140 - 01/29/13 08:48 PM

I just couldn't resist using the Purasol again. Like most following this thread, I just couldn't believe the purosol would create the problem I described in the OP. First, I tried cleaning a "new" TV smoothie 17mm PL with my tried and true method of the cotton balls/distilled water/drop of Dawn. Guess what, I developed one of those spots and thought I had damaged coating. That sinking feeling set in again. I could not get it off even after two or three tries. I put it away, somewhat disgusted, and slept on it. The next night after work, I went to the store and purchased some Q-tips. Came back and tried the Purasol and Q-tip on the TV. After a couple of tries I achieved some measure of success. The really bright speck was gone. There seemed to be a very very slight degree of streaking left over which was taken care of by the cotton ball/water/dawn method. Results: like new. Whew. Decided to get the 18mm Ultima back out and give it another go with the Purasol. After about 4 or 5 tries I may have reduced the brightness of the spots just a bit, but they are still there. I am starting to think that perhaps some stubborn contaminants build up around the edge of the top lens, and get broken loose and deposited on the eyepiece when cleaning as many have said. I have changed my opinion of the Purasol and no longer believe this was the problem. My apologies to my bottle of Purasol I tried breath/fog Q-tip method and no luck. I tried the spit method and no luck. I am thinking of trying some 91 percent Alcohol next, or perhaps some ROR as Don suggests. I am really trying just to leave it alone but it is bugging me to death

Edited by rgm40 (01/29/13 09:25 PM)

Starman1

#5651149 - 01/29/13 08:53 PM

Try ROR (ror.net).
It took mascara off (an eyepiece) that alcohol wouldn't touch.

Jim Rosenstock
Postmaster

Reged: 07/14/05

Loc: MD, south of the DC Nebula
      #5651191 - 01/29/13 09:21 PM

Whatever's left of that little spot is unlikely to affect your views at all.....but I understand, it bugs you anyway!

Well, just be careful that your cleaning efforts don't cause any added damage...be cautious and don't do anything crazy!

One quick "war story"...a few years ago I bought a nicely-priced eyepiece from a guy who had cleaned it with R-O-R, a preferred formula at the time. He noted that there was a small sleek (not affecting viewing) that the R-O-R would not remove, and if it bothered me, I could return it. Well, a Q-tip dipped in 91% Isopropyl cleaned it right up, first swipe!

I rarely use anything other than 91% Isopropyl on my eyepieces. It works for me.

Jim

Starman1

Re: Eyepiece cleaning woes new [Re: Jim Rosenstock]
      #5651438 - 01/30/13 12:16 AM

What's in ROR from their MSDS sheet:
Ammonia 26° 0.775%
Sodium Chloride 0.830%
Isopropyl Alcohol 4.266%
Liquid Soap 9.011%
Distilled Water 85.118%

Obviously, it's the soap that removes the organic materials.
Change the alcohol and water contents, and it might be even better.
But I've cleaned a lot of eyepieces with 70% isopropyl, and ROR works better.
But it might be possible to improve on ROR by adding IPA to it.

Lt 26
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/19/09

Loc: Northwest Illinois
Re: Eyepiece cleaning woes new [Re: Starman1]
      #5651915 - 01/30/13 09:46 AM

Fogging as a final step always worked for me. Would not advise using ethanol made from corn in America. Very corrosive stuff when exposed to moisture. Which is why they have a hard time getting the mix over 10% and pay out the nose when they do. Not the same stuff they make in Brazil.

Dereck

dedo

Reged: 06/04/10

Loc: Italy, Rome
Re: Eyepiece cleaning woes new [Re: Lt 26]
      #5652030 - 01/30/13 10:56 AM

I too have had the bright spots problem, even on the inner lens of a brand new triplet objective...go figure! So far, what has always worked for me is a brand new lenspen. I used it to clean, very carefully, many many lens surfaces, from eyepieces to mak's meniscus to big lenses, always with great success without the smallest damage in a single pass whic, IMO, is far less dangerous than trying again and again with q-tips or whatever else.
Yes, the finger pad is absolutely safe, saliva too and is very efficient but there just are things, such are those bright specks, for what that isn't enough unless you keep pass on it, which I think is less safe than using a brand new lenspen in a single pass.
Acetone works wonders too, but it is not very safe on the edges where it can dissolve cell's paint, rubber and more taking them on the lens surface.
Just my experience.

dcoyle
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/11/05

Loc: Turbulent but dark skies, N.M.
Re: Eyepiece cleaning woes new [Re: dedo]
      #5652197 - 01/30/13 12:15 PM

I would be very leary of using one's finger pad for fear there is some grit of some sort embedded in it. IMO, same for a lens pen, the second stroke.

I use the air bulb on an EP after every session. If there is more than a tiny amount of stuff on the lens, I use a q tip, in a "roll up as you go forward" motion, with fluids. One use and throw away. The trick on using q tips is you don't want to advance the q tip so fast as to leave a trail of liquid behind. This is particularly tough in very dry climates.

I try the weaker fluid first.

I avoid IPA from the drugstore after a weird experience with using a drugstore IPA that left a film that even acetone wouldn't take off. (it did come off with lighter fluid, which I tried in desperation.)

For me, the hierachy is ROR, Purosol and acetone.

I only use q tips when the lens is too small to use toilet paper. I spray the solvent on the paper wad and then use the same roll up motion, once, and throw away.

Avoid observing under trees!

Dan

kevint1
sage

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: Michigan
Re: Eyepiece cleaning woes new [Re: dcoyle]
      #5652737 - 01/30/13 04:44 PM

I got a new pair of glasses with anit reflection coatings a few weeks ago. As usual, I received a bottle of cleaning solution and a package of micro fiber cloths with the glasses. Has anyone used this type of cleaning solution on their eyepieces? I'm not sure what's in it, but I have never had a problem with it on my eyeglasses.

Starman1

Re: Eyepiece cleaning woes new [Re: kevint1]
      #5652761 - 01/30/13 04:54 PM

Those cleaning solutions are usually mostly water with a little soap and alcohol added, and sometime a dye or scent.
They can clean eyepieces (spray a q-tip and then apply to the eyepiece, don't spray the eyepiece), and do a fairly good job of lifting eyelash oils.
However, they typically have a higher soap content than most commercial eyepiece cleaning solutions, so when they dry there can be some soap residue on the lens.
If so, a q-tip and water cleaning gets it right off.

palmer570

Reged: 09/04/12

Loc: Scranton, Pennsylvania
Re: Eyepiece cleaning woes new [Re: Starman1]
      #5664632 - 02/06/13 03:38 AM

I'm bummed a little now.

After reading Starman's post about eyepieces may need cleaning when new I checked my new ES82's.
All looked pretty good till I looked at the bottom of my
30mm. Had small smudges right in the middle and at first thought it was a finger print from manufacturing. But realized the glass is very close to the rubber cap and the cap was leaving the smudges either from me touching the cap when it was on, which I highly doubt, or from storing standing up in my eyepiece storage case.

So going to pick up some hard caps and get rid of the rubber and also store it laying down for now. Love the ES82's I have but the rubber cap seems like a oversight.

Edited by palmer570 (02/06/13 03:42 AM)

dcoyle
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/11/05

Loc: Turbulent but dark skies, N.M.
Re: Eyepiece cleaning woes new [Re: palmer570]
      #5665006 - 02/06/13 11:10 AM

I noticed the same problem on the 30/82 ES bottom cap, and replaced it with a hard TV cap.

Dan

Traveler
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/19/07

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Eyepiece cleaning woes new [Re: dcoyle]
      #5666439 - 02/07/13 03:30 AM

Am I the only one who use Optical Wonder (Baader and Astro-Physics) with great succes? Click link for more information.

spencerj
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/04

Loc: Londonderry, NH
Re: Eyepiece cleaning woes new [Re: JamesL]
      #5666690 - 02/07/13 09:24 AM

Quote:

The link said alcohol from the hardware store is ok.
Would that be "Isopropyl" or "Denatured" alcohol?
Acetone is used to strip finishes, paint, laquer etc. Too strong in my opinion.

Acetone will eat plastic and you don't want to spill any on your stained kitchen table, but it is an incredible optical cleaner.

Before I found the Televue instructions for acetone cleaning, I tried a number of cleaners and methods and was never really happy with the results. There was always a streak or residue and I felt like I had to go over the optical surface multiple times (risking damage). I have certainly scratched more than one eyepiece using a "lens pen" or "micro fiber cloth".

For the last five or six years, I have used acetone exclusively to clean optics. I use it everyday to clean my glasses--plastic lens with coatings. It only takes one pass to make them pristine with no residue left behind. I get the same results on all my optical telescope equipment (accept mirrors). Again . . . just keep it away from plastic (rubber is not an issue) and wood finishes.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Eyepiece cleaning woes new [Re: spencerj]
      #5666830 - 02/07/13 10:50 AM

I finally just purchased a bottle of Purosol and removed all doubt.....

Kent10
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/08/12

Re: Eyepiece cleaning woes new [Re: spencerj]
      #5666961 - 02/07/13 11:58 AM

Quote:

I tried a number of cleaners and methods and was never really happy with the results. There was always a streak or residue and I felt like I had to go over the optical surface multiple times (risking damage).

Hi Jason:

Which solutions did you try that you weren't happy with? Did you try the Baader Wonder Fluid. Unfortunately I don't think we can get it in the US but it is supposed to be very good. I am also wondering if you tried Eclipse which is methanol. It has gotten great reviews and I just ordered some to clean my TEC objective. I also considered the acetone after reading the Televue article but decided to try the Eclipse first. Thanks, Kent

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3386

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics