Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
DIY Eye piece cases
      #5615093 - 01/10/13 09:12 AM

Im looking for ideas on how to make an eye piece case from readily, and cheaply, available boxes ,etc.
Tool boxes, tackle boxes what ever ,everything is fair game.

Ideas?????? photos, descriptions needed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Escher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/30/07

Loc: Fenton, MI
Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: droid]
      #5615109 - 01/10/13 09:26 AM

Harbor Freight - aluminum tool case with pick-pluck foam..

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-x-12-34-x-6-aluminum-case-69318.html

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: Escher]
      #5615130 - 01/10/13 09:44 AM

I just broke down and bought bolt cases for everything. Keep it all in a cloth "tackle box". Took out all the plastic boxes inside the bag. Works great as the bag also has pouches on the sides, back and front, as well as a pouch under the lid big enough for instruction books, etc.... The reason I went to bolt cases was to keep the dirt out. Bolt cases also help prevent dewing (not that dew is any big problem here), and I mark them so I know what each contains. My next "project" is to get some "glow in the dark" stickers (big circles) to help with identification in the dark.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
      #5615182 - 01/10/13 10:20 AM

The three most popular are:
Harbor freight as mentioned above
Pelican cases
Vanguard cases

Many threads on this subject, with lots of pics, already.

Edited by MRNUTTY (01/10/13 02:18 PM)

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5615251 - 01/10/13 11:01 AM

I agree that the best low-budget choice for an EP case is the "Harbor Freight" aluminum case (also sometimes called the "Lowe's case" in honor of a similar product Lowe's used to sell with foam bed included). Some have also reported that inexpensive aluminum gun cases are available at e.g. Wal-Mart that can be easily converted to an EP case.

THE PROBLEM with using a tackle or toolbox for an eyepiece case is that it lacks one of the essential qualities of a suitable eyepiece case: an impact-resistant means to internally hold eyepieces securely in place. You *could* custom-cut a foambed to fit a typical tool or tackle box, but you'd typically have to waste much of the depth of the space to accomplish that. As to the grid of trays (sometimes with lids) that are often built into tool or fishing tackle boxes, there are seveal problems: a) the size will often be a poor match to eyepiece size; too big and the EP can rattle and roll around, too small and the EP won't fit in the space; and if the box gets turned on side or over, the EPs can spill internally. NOT good. SOMEONE will doubtlessly report having (to them) satisfactorily used a tackle or tool box as an EP case, but WHY use one of those when for the same or single-digits $$ more you can have a MUCH sounder, far better-suited alternative, the Harbor Freight aka Lowe's case?

The Achilles' Heel of the Harbor Freight/Lowe's cases is the aluminum hinges and latches: a fall from waist-high (e.g. off a table) onto a concrete or wooden floor can be enough to warp the hinges or latches if the case lands on-edge, meaning that the case will never securely close again. But if you're looking for as good and suitable an alternative for a bargain price, you can't beat it without jumping up to the $100 class of truly secure, impact-proof e.g. Pelican or Storm cases.

uniondrone
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/05/09

Loc: Streetlight Archipelago
Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: Escher]
      #5615373 - 01/10/13 11:58 AM

Quote:

Harbor Freight - aluminum tool case with pick-pluck foam..

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-x-12-34-x-6-aluminum-case-69318.html

I use the harbor freight case for my accessories. It works quite well. I use this case from Cabela's for my eyepieces. It works pretty well, especially for the price. The pluck foam is now starting to wear out a bit after a few years of use, but that might have more to do with heavy 2" eyepieces than anything. Still it's a good & cheap option.

Pat at home
sage

Reged: 03/16/07

Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick, Ca...
Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: uniondrone]
      #5615415 - 01/10/13 12:18 PM Attachment (60 downloads)

A bit of wood and a few hand tools:

Dave Ittner
sage

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: uniondrone]
      #5615420 - 01/10/13 12:21 PM

There are two things to be aware of regarding the Harbor Freight cases

1) The upper lid has two metal tabs that stick out that are used to help hold the tool pouch in place. IMHO the pouch and the tabs should be removed. Removing the tabs requires sanding down the rivot and then replacing it as one is also being used to hold the hinge in place.

2) there is only one sheet of pluck foam supplied. removing some foam to make room for an eyepiece provides protection from each side but not the bottom. (the top lid has a sheet of egg carton foam). IMHO it is wise to put a layer of foam on the bottom as well.

I have made about 30 or so cases for friends with these modifications and they are quite happy.

droid
rocketman

Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: Dave Ittner]
      #5615469 - 01/10/13 12:52 PM Attachment (52 downloads)

Ive more or less overgrown? the regular tool box types, lol.

6 2 inch eps, with the hopes of another soon, 7 1.25 inch eps, 2 diagonals, both 1.25 and 2 inch, 2 barlows both 1.25 and 2 inch, several filters, lazer collimator and red beam flash light. It all will not fit in one box, and Im wanting to find a way to have only one box to pack, not three, lol.

Edited by droid (01/10/13 12:56 PM)

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5615525 - 01/10/13 01:20 PM

Chris,

Quote:

The Achilles' Heel of the Harbor Freight/Lowe's cases is the aluminum hinges and latches: a fall from waist-high (e.g. off a table) onto a concrete or wooden floor can be enough to warp the hinges or latches if the case lands on-edge, meaning that the case will never securely close again. But if you're looking for as good and suitable an alternative for a bargain price, you can't beat it without jumping up to the $100 class of truly secure, impact-proof e.g. Pelican or Storm cases.

I've bought at least eight Harbor Freight cases over the years. I think they cost about $19 each after 20% off coupons. Sometimes I've picked up a case just for the pluck foam inside. Then I give the case itself to the Good Will!

I keep separate cases for deep sky, finders and collimation tools, binoviewer and bino pairs, 25x100 binoculars, ST80, and for eyepieces I plan on selling.

The oldest of these cases is about six years old. I've never had any problem with the hinges or latches. The important thing is to never drop equipment! Never done it. Hope never to to do it. Awareness of one's body and surroundings is the key. If the observer is so tired that they start to get clumsy, it's time to go take a nap!

Also, I never set a case full of equipment on a table. My eyepiece case and equipment bag always go on a small carpet on the ground directly beside the table, and covered by a towel to protect from dew.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: Dave Ittner]
      #5615550 - 01/10/13 01:34 PM

David,

Quote:

The upper lid has two metal tabs that stick out that are used to help hold the tool pouch in place. IMHO the pouch and the tabs should be removed. Removing the tabs requires sanding down the rivot and then replacing it as one is also being used to hold the hinge in place.

All the HF cases I've owned have two hard plastic tabs at the lower edge of the upper lid. I just saw these off even with the edge of the lid. Removing the tabs allows more room for tall eyepieces. I didn't have to replace any rivots or anything else. Maybe the cases sold in your local HF stores are a little different from mine?

Quote:

there is only one sheet of pluck foam supplied. removing some foam to make room for an eyepiece provides protection from each side but not the bottom. (the top lid has a sheet of egg carton foam). IMHO it is wise to put a layer of foam on the bottom as well.

I also take out the tool pouch and leave the "egg carton" foam in the upper lid. Works great.

I don't bother putting another layer of foam underneath the pluck-foam. The inner bottom of the case is not really very hard, but is somewhat cushioning in itself. Sometimes I'll take a cube or so of pluck foam and stick it down in one of the eyepiece cut-outs to give support to a shorter eyepiece. Otherwise it seems fine to me.

Mike

GpB311
sage

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5615558 - 01/10/13 01:38 PM

I just used a small x-acto blade to trim the pluck foam down for the eyepieces without removing it entirely except in a couple spots where thats what I wanted. I cut two layers of cardboard fit to the shape of the inside of the case and put it under the foam so that it was a tighter fit on the EPs when closed.
That top layer of foam is loose, but the cardboard helps hold that in place too.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: GpB311]
      #5615570 - 01/10/13 01:42 PM

IME, a good tool to loosen up and extract the pluck foam is an ordinary table knife used to spread butter on bread. Get the kind that has a slightly serrated edge. Even better is a little novelty knife that I have to carve out pumpkins for Halloween.

But fingers will do in a jiffy!

Mike

Jaimo!
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/11/07

Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North
      #5615596 - 01/10/13 01:58 PM

I've been building a few recently, small little Grab-N-Go Boxes for going out in the backyard...

The Pleiades - Maple on Bubinga:

Inside:

Orion - Maple, Honduran Mahogany, Zebrawood & Holly on Walnut

Enjoy,
Jaimo!

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5615664 - 01/10/13 02:43 PM Attachment (50 downloads)

I made a wooden insert for my eyepiece case that gave me more room. I attached a metal strip on the front of the case, & inserted magnets in the bottom of my filter cases to take up less room. Works well for me.

DonsDob

Reged: 05/21/12

Loc: CT
Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5615828 - 01/10/13 04:22 PM

Scroll thru or do a search on the Equipment forum - especially the "non-astronomy" entry near the top - very useful info there. I use a HF case to hold the finder, telrad, intelliscope COL, some tools and various bits and pieces. Also a small aluminum case from a poker set for eyepieces.

Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: DonsDob]
      #5615889 - 01/10/13 04:58 PM

I made mine out of these cases and because I did not like their foam I bought this foam and cut it to fit. These cases are sold at many sporting goods stores and are often available on sale. I paid only $7 for some of mine.

Here is another shot to show that the bottom contains more than 1 pieces of foam, actually 3 pieces. I replace two of them with one piece of that foam I ordered. Kept the top foam and of course the unused bottom piece is identical to the top piece just in case you need to replace the top foam due to damage.

Lane
Post Laureate

Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: Lane]
      #5615893 - 01/10/13 05:00 PM Attachment (63 downloads)

Here are some pics

Lane
Post Laureate

#5615895 - 01/10/13 05:01 PM Attachment (42 downloads)

And

Luigi
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/07

Loc: MA
      #5615909 - 01/10/13 05:15 PM Attachment (59 downloads)

Here's a pic of mine from a while back...

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: Luigi]
      #5615944 - 01/10/13 05:45 PM

I am always cautious with my eyepieces, there is a lot of money invested and I have had inexpensive cases come unlatched and spill eyepiece onto concrete. The sound is not good, the results are disheartening. I have inspected the Harbor Freight cases and decided they are just no robust enough to risk my good eyepieces to...

What I use for my good eyepieces are two professional quality aluminum clad equipment cases, they are solid and designed for people who travel with fancy electronics and tools...

Of course it does help if you can find them at garage sales for $5...

Jon

izar187
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/02/06

Loc: 43N
Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5616713 - 01/11/13 05:42 AM

Another vote for bolt cases/bottles for ep's. Then just nest them in the carrier of choice. Like ones from second hand stores and yard sales. It is then pretty painless to upgrade if more room is needed. Top loading brief case types are my preference. When observing I carry the 3 or 4 ep's I'll be using on my person. The case is nearby if I just gotta, but mostly I just skip the eyepiece futzing these days and happily observe with as few as possible.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: izar187]
      #5616729 - 01/11/13 06:34 AM Attachment (56 downloads)

I've been using this case in the pic for almost 2 years without it opening and spilling the contents anywhere. Cost me just over $20.00, But the home made ones here are very nice!

Jaimo, How long did it take to make yours? and what kind of wood did you use? Your cases look really nice! I liked how you joined the corners by taking off those 2 layers, which appear to be some kind of plywood.

By the looks of things here, it appears that standing the eyepieces up is the best way to go as it saves a lot of space! Jaimo, do you sell those cases? Maybe I could get you to make me one!

StarStuff1
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/07

Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line
Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5616891 - 01/11/13 09:14 AM Attachment (36 downloads)

I have had good luck for the last 12+ years with my Craftsman tool box ep case. When I drilled the holes in the walnut shelf for 1 1/4-in eps I accidently used a 1 3/8-in forster bit! The eps rattled like crazy. A few days later I was at the hardware store and saw a bin of nylon friction washers that go into all those plumbers pipe focusers. Glued those in with some silicone and now the eps slide in and out with a little "swish". Also, the little shoulder on the top gives a little cushioning.

StarStuff1
Post Laureate

Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: StarStuff1]
      #5616906 - 01/11/13 09:26 AM Attachment (36 downloads)

For several years I have often observed right outside the basement door. Since I only use the toolbox case when traveling I would just sit needed eps on a nearby counter top. The more eps I acquired the more confusing it would be to find a particular one.

Late last year I decided to do something about it. This simply a wood box with a piece of heavy denim to fold over the top to keep just out. I like using PVC end caps for ep caps. Not real tight fitting so moisture can escape and easy to mark the focal length fo ID.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5616938 - 01/11/13 09:54 AM

My solution to the problem of "which eyepiece is which" in the dark is to arrange the eyepieces as much as possible in a logical progression from shortest to longest focal length. It also helps to always put the same eyepiece back in the same slot in the eyepiece case.

Since I bring about 28 eyepieces in my case to the dark site, I've set up a diagram of the layout and slipped it into a clear cover sheet just in case I forget the location of an eyepiece. But I seldom refer to it.

I know some folks put a label on the eyecaps, but what if you have more than one eyepiece out? It's possible you could mix up the eyecaps. Not a very good solution. Also, in my very dewy location, those labels might slip off and end up on a lens. Not too good.

Mike

Jaimo!
Pooh-Bah

#5616990 - 01/11/13 10:34 AM

Markus...

Sent you a PM.

Jaimo!

Steve Daniel

Reged: 06/03/12

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: Jaimo!]
      #5617140 - 01/11/13 11:56 AM

Another approach: check craigslist/ebay for camera, video, tool, pelican, etc cases. I've gotten several good soft-sided, hard plastic, and hard metal cases off my local craigslist... purchasing pick-n-pluck from foambymail.com completes it.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: Steve Daniel]
      #5617172 - 01/11/13 12:21 PM

Steve,

Thanks for that link. I've put foambymail.com into my Favorites.

Mike

StarStuff1
Post Laureate

#5617285 - 01/11/13 01:26 PM

Quote:

I know some folks put a label on the eyecaps, but what if you have more than one eyepiece out? It's possible you could mix up the eyecaps. Not a very good solution. Also, in my very dewy location, those labels might slip off and end up on a lens. Not too good.

Mike

The cheshire and auticollimator have labels and when those tools are used the PVC caps have to be removed. The only ep with a label is the 9.5. It was glued on 12 yrs ago. For the rest I used a Sharpie. Makes it easy to see which ep to grab. The eps are arranged in ascending order from right to left. Nearly all the PVC caps were custom "tuned" on a small lathe. Only once or twice I have put the wrong cap on an ep but this can happen with rubber caps, too. This is a system probably not for everyone but it has worked well for me.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5617320 - 01/11/13 01:53 PM

I have to confess that I've put labels directly on a few eyepieces, but they are the exceptions. I did this for some Faworski Orthos that do not have any indication of the focal length, and for the only eyepiece I ever made, a 5.8mm Ball Eyepiece. Of course, the dew here has started to lift up the edges of the labels, and every so often I have to glue them back down.

Mike

droid
rocketman

#5618011 - 01/11/13 09:01 PM

I had all the Faworski orthos , in the .965 size, best dern money Id ever spent on .965 eps, then I decided to donate them to a christmas donation project I was working on, it felt right at the time, but I kick my self occasionally.

rlmxracer
sage

Reged: 11/09/11

Loc: Motocross Mecca , CA
      #5618068 - 01/11/13 09:43 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

I got a double pistol case at Big 5 on sale for $20. The gigantic plastic case holds my Rigel Quick finder.

Edited by rlmxracer (01/11/13 09:46 PM)

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: rlmxracer]
      #5618114 - 01/11/13 10:16 PM

For my portable Grab-Go EP Case I have a Vanguard case with Bolt Cases for the big stuff; Pentax XW's. The Brandon's and the Collins I3 go in one of the top wings, the Siebert's are in one of the base cubicles. Plenty of extra room for filters, focal reducers, extension tubes, tools, diagonals.

Besides the better build of these cases, I like combination of deep base compartment and shallower wing compartments for carrying components of a wide range of sizes, as well as vertical positioning of eye pieces for more compact storage. I haven't been pleased with the rather soft foam that accompanies the less expensive cases; resulting in less restrained stowage. For my next trick I'm thinking of either solid dividers with soft foam cushions, or the less flexible extruded polyethylene for a more rigid restraint.

The Vanguard cases have better clasps and hinge improvements than the Harbor Freight cases; of which I have four, as well as an Orion hard case. The Vanguards also a wide range of sizes: 34! I'll be refitting the latter cases for use in my Observatory where conditions are safer for drop-accidents.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5618238 - 01/11/13 11:48 PM

I don't know about these clumsy observers with fumbly fingers. Drop accidents? I've been an amateur astronomer since the early '70's and have never dropped anything of consequence. A plastic eye cap or two, yes. But an entire case of eyepieces, or even one eyepiece? Never!

Mike

Mr Magoo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: Franklin, Indiana
      #5618333 - 01/12/13 12:53 AM

One thing I use instead of bolt cases are prescription medicine bottles. They come in lots of sizes and with a little foam inside hold the ep's nice and secure. The biggest ones I have came from my vets office.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: Mr Magoo]
      #5618358 - 01/12/13 01:13 AM

My daughter has only gerbils as pets. Not many bottles from the vets for them. And not very big bottles.

Mike

eastwd

Reged: 08/21/11

Loc: Nashville
      #5618378 - 01/12/13 01:51 AM

Quote:

I've been building a few recently, small little Grab-N-Go Boxes for going out in the backyard...

Those are absolutely gorgeous eyepiece boxes you've made. Amazing detail on the lids. Wish I could make (or even buy) something like that. Thanks for posting those pics.

izar187
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/02/06

Loc: 43N
      #5618445 - 01/12/13 04:21 AM

Many non-bulbous body 1.25" ep's and barlows will fit in straight cylindrical prescription bottles. I have found them to be free for the asking at local Walgreen's for example, on a one every once in a while basis. The folks at the prescription counter have been curious and helpful when I've infrequently brought in an eyepiece and asked to try a likely sized bottle. I've found other flavor straight prescription bottles to work from others in my family. I choose caps that thread on only.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: izar187]
      #5618579 - 01/12/13 08:17 AM

Quote:

I don't know about these clumsy observers with fumbly fingers. Drop accidents? I've been an amateur astronomer since the early '70's and have never dropped anything of consequence. A plastic eye cap or two, yes. But an entire case of eyepieces, or even one eyepiece? Never!

Mike

Mike,

It can happen to the best of 'em. Nobody is perfect and accidents do happen. Personally myself, I have been very lucky and have never dropped an eyepiece, but I did grab a case once that had two pairs of binoculars in them and I did not realize the clips were not closed on the case.....long story short, both pairs of binoculars kind of landed on a piece of soft padding I had on the back of the case, so I was lucky they landed that way.

It was really dark in my back room as I had just come in from observing and I and forgot about the clips not being closed on the case. I was very fortunate because there was ZERO damage or misalignment to both binoculars. LOL.

Cheers,

northernontario
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/01/09

Loc: Porcupine, Ontario Canada
      #5618617 - 01/12/13 08:50 AM

I have an old hollowed out Allen Bradley aluminum case that once housed a vintage programming terminal.

Foam and sponge were bought at wally world.

To cut the foam and sponge, I used a hack saw blade. Works very well, better than a knife or scissors and you can control the cut much better.

jake

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: northernontario]
      #5618644 - 01/12/13 09:17 AM

I've heard it helps to freeze the foam first before you cut/saw it. Never tried it myself, though.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5618646 - 01/12/13 09:18 AM

Fumble fingers!

Mike

wky46
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/12/05

Loc: west Ky.
      #5618725 - 01/12/13 10:09 AM

Quote:

Mike

Don't jinx your good luck!.... jeeez

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: wky46]
      #5618776 - 01/12/13 10:43 AM

Jaimo!
Pooh-Bah

Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: eastwd]
      #5618808 - 01/12/13 10:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Those are absolutely gorgeous eyepiece boxes you've made. Amazing detail on the lids. Wish I could make (or even buy) something like that. Thanks for posting those pics.

Thanks I appreciate your compliments, and welcome to CloudyNights!

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

#5618893 - 01/12/13 11:40 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I'm with you Mike. However, in the past many people have been very vocal on the subject of Pelican cases as cheap insurance against undetected faults in case mechanics leading to catastrophic losses. In the realm of possibilities, one can't say it won't happen, however improbable, and for those cases that contain very expensive or irreplaceable EP's, the added cost is as negligible as the peace of mind is considerable.

Having recently materially increased my holdings of TV optics, I'm finding myself inexplicably drawn to their reasoning :-)

derangedhermit
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/07/09

Loc: USA
      #5620025 - 01/12/13 11:39 PM

i've bookmarked this cnforum thread for custom case and foam: Thread on My Case Builder
I also am thinking about installing Antares 2" to 1.25" Twist-Lock adapters in a case for my 1.25" eyepieces. Positive locking, more secure and cleaner than foam. The general idea is that you secure the naked eyepiece mechanically in the case; there may be better (or cheaper) means of doing that - like a simple ring with a lock setscrew, like on the focuser itself.

I think what i would like best is something like a belt that had a secure fast-clamp system for eyepices, so I could have 6 or 8 and maybe a couple filters available on my person at all times while observing, without going to and from the eyepiece case or having to fumble around in pockets. Something like those metal or polymer shotgun shell "sidesaddles", except for eyepieces.

Lane
Post Laureate

Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: derangedhermit]
      #5620092 - 01/13/13 01:16 AM

Quote:

i've bookmarked this cnforum thread for custom case and foam: Thread on My Case Builder

The only problem here is that no one is ever satisfied with their eyepiece collection, it is always changing or growing.
That custom cut foam does look beautiful though.

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: Luigi]
      #5620353 - 01/13/13 09:32 AM Attachment (35 downloads)

I observe on an attached deck so my stuff doesn't need to travel.

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: mich_al]
      #5620363 - 01/13/13 09:36 AM Attachment (37 downloads)

JimK
Skygazer

Reged: 09/18/05

Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA
      #5646555 - 01/27/13 05:58 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

Quote:

Im looking for ideas on how to make an eye piece case from readily, and cheaply, available boxes ,etc.
Tool boxes, tackle boxes what ever ,everything is fair game.

Ideas?????? photos, descriptions needed

Here's a simple idea for an eyepiece box that I made.

JimK
Skygazer

Reged: 09/18/05

Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA
Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: JimK]
      #5646559 - 01/27/13 05:59 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

I started with a 1.6-liter plastic "Really Useful Box," a scrap of 18mm birch plywood, and some 1-inch felt circles. I cut some 1.25-inch holes in the wood for eyepieces, added a couple of coats of satin lacquer from another project, and put several 1/4 circle felt spacers in each corner of the box. Adding some string for a carry handle finished this simple dew/dust resistant case.

Jaimo!
Pooh-Bah

Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: JimK]
      #5646669 - 01/27/13 06:44 PM

Nice job, Jim!

Jaimo!

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/17/08

Loc: United Kingdom
      #5649654 - 01/29/13 02:39 AM

I did a longish thread ages ago, cant find it right now but heres the article on my site which is cut down a bit from the thread.

http://www.astro-baby.com/articles/Eyepiece%20Case/Eyepiece%20Case%20Project.htm

dcoyle
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/11/05

Loc: Turbulent but dark skies, N.M.
Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: astro_baby]
      #5650093 - 01/29/13 11:27 AM

Very nice job fabricating that case, astro baby.

Thanks for posting.

Dan

droid
rocketman

Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: dcoyle]
      #5650236 - 01/29/13 12:44 PM

I remember that thread, purple velvet is unforgettable, lol.
It did give me some ideas though, Ive got a suit case style tool box from a yard sale, emptied it this morning.
Gonna use wood, and stain it though.

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

#5650347 - 01/29/13 01:42 PM

I think if K were doing the priject again I might be incllined to skip the velvet and jus have rubber bumpers. The velevet made construction a lot harder and slower. I would also skip the LEDs as they are of little use.

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

#5650654 - 01/29/13 04:10 PM

Quote:

I think if K were doing the priject again I might be incllined to skip the velvet and jus have rubber bumpers. The velevet made construction a lot harder and slower. I would also skip the LEDs as they are of little use.

Still looks pretty awesome though. Great job!

Husbyggarn

Reged: 12/12/08

Loc: Sweden
Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: turtle86]
      #5653521 - 01/31/13 01:52 AM Attachment (10 downloads)

What about having the LED's in the lid instead? the LED's would be pointing down from the top of the lid.
I've been thinking about doing it this way.

cpr1
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/12

Loc: Louisiana
Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: Husbyggarn]
      #5653752 - 01/31/13 07:43 AM

Here's mine I finished recently. I used scrap pine and birch I had from other projects.

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

#5654348 - 01/31/13 01:38 PM

I dont know - depends on the brighness of the LED I guess. One of my early plans was to have a small gooseneck fitting that folded down into the base of the case but would be pulled out to illuminate by facing down onec the case was opened. I abandoned it because the fitting was so big it was wasting space and it also mean the case couldnt be closed quickly - I just saw it as a headache really.

I think on balance I wouldnt bother. 9 times out of 10 I enjd up having to use a torch anyway if I really need a look at stuff. Mostly I dont bother. Having spent so long bulding the case I just know where stuff is without needing a light

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

#5654350 - 01/31/13 01:39 PM

CPR thats really beautiful. Loving the joinery on that. Wish I had the skill for that kind of build.

Husbyggarn

Reged: 12/12/08

Loc: Sweden
      #5654475 - 01/31/13 02:59 PM

Quote:

I dont know - depends on the brighness of the LED I guess. One of my early plans was to have a small gooseneck fitting that folded down into the base of the case but would be pulled out to illuminate by facing down onec the case was opened. I abandoned it because the fitting was so big it was wasting space and it also mean the case couldnt be closed quickly - I just saw it as a headache really.

I think on balance I wouldnt bother. 9 times out of 10 I enjd up having to use a torch anyway if I really need a look at stuff. Mostly I dont bother. Having spent so long bulding the case I just know where stuff is without needing a light

Yeah, i guess you're right. I will think about it some more...
Oh by the way, beautiful builds everyone! i got some great ideas

mdalton

Reged: 10/05/12

Loc: Farmington, Mo
      #5654884 - 01/31/13 06:50 PM

Awesome job, cpr1. Love the dovetail joinery.

cpr1
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/12

Loc: Louisiana
Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: mdalton]
      #5656968 - 02/01/13 07:00 PM

Thanks Melaine and Mark. The Porter Cable jig has to get a lot of credit for the joints. You do have to have square stock to start with and setup the jig properly. I just tested on some test pieces until I had it right then used the final wood.

As I said before in another thread the construction did not take nearly as long as finishing the case. Dry times on multiple coats of stain and poly. And I am not retired so it kind of drags out. But the end result was absolutely worth it. Thx.

B. Hebert

Reged: 09/04/06

Loc: Southern California
      #5657583 - 02/02/13 04:47 AM

Is there a thread, link or file of images of home built or DIY cases, particularly wood ones?

B. Hebert

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: DIY Eye piece cases new [Re: B. Hebert]
      #5657630 - 02/02/13 06:45 AM

I hear you Chris on the dry times. I vbuilt a Catsperch chair a few months ago and the dry times on the varnish were were geological....i started to wonder at times if it would ever dry.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5657963 - 02/02/13 11:31 AM

I find with most varnishes, no matter what the label says, let it cure overnight.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4256

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics