Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
rflinn68
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/09/12

Loc: Arkansas
Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: drbyyz]
      #5642761 - 01/25/13 03:03 PM

3 people so far have said "ordered all 4"...They list 5 of them on their website. 5mm through 9mm So did you order 4 of them or all 5 of them?

EDIT: I see what people have done. Instead of saying "sold out" on the 8mm they just dropped it altogether. Are they discontinuing these eyepieces?

Edited by rflinn68 (01/25/13 03:12 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
drbyyz
sage

Reged: 11/04/12

Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: rflinn68]
      #5642782 - 01/25/13 03:18 PM

Quote:

3 people so far have said "ordered all 4"...They list 5 of them on their website. 5mm through 9mm So did you order 4 of them or all 5 of them?

EDIT: I see what people have done. Instead of saying "sold out" on the 8mm they just dropped it altogether. Are they discontinuing these eyepieces?

Looks like Astronomics at least plans on not carrying them any longer. The email they sent out in regards to this sale did say "while supplies last." Glad I placed my order for the 8mm early!!

rflinn68
Carpal Tunnel

#5642785 - 01/25/13 03:19 PM

Ok, I got it cleared up. Mike says they are just pulling them from the site as they sell out because there is no rain check at that price.

drbyyz
sage

Reged: 11/04/12

#5642803 - 01/25/13 03:28 PM

Cool, awesome sale, I'd been looking at grabbing one of these for awhile. Didn't intend on it being my next purchase, but I got that email and had a $50 Visa gift card burning a hole in my pocket so I figured why not.

rflinn68
Carpal Tunnel

#5642813 - 01/25/13 03:32 PM

Quote:

Cool, awesome sale, I'd been looking at grabbing one of these for awhile. Didn't intend on it being my next purchase, but I got that email and had a $50 Visa gift card burning a hole in my pocket so I figured why not.

Cant think of a better way to spend it! They are really good for the intended use of planets and the brighter double stars.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5642846 - 01/25/13 03:48 PM

Maybe one of the versions of the TMB planetaries is going belly up...there are two versions being manufactured I believe....

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
      #5642918 - 01/25/13 04:26 PM

So when I look at the eyepiece pages at Astronomics, I see a couple of photos of the eyepieces, and they are different versions of the TMB PII. E.g.,
http://www.astronomics.com/tmb-7mm-long-eye-relief-1-25-inch-planetary-ii-eye...
Click on the small icons to see images of 2 different eyepieces (there are a lot of clones of TMBs out there).

So which version/clone is Astronomics selling?

If some of you are trying to complete your TMB PII collection, your new eyepieces may not match.

rflinn68
Carpal Tunnel

Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: hottr6]
      #5642929 - 01/25/13 04:29 PM

Quote:

So when I look at the eyepiece pages at Astronomics, I see a couple of photos of the eyepieces, and they are different versions of the TMB PII. E.g.,
http://www.astronomics.com/tmb-7mm-long-eye-relief-1-25-inch-planetary-ii-eye...
Click on the small icons to see images of 2 different eyepieces (there are a lot of clones of TMBs out there).

So which version/clone is Astronomics selling?

If some of you are trying to complete your TMB PII collection, your new eyepieces may not match.

Thats a 9mm and, most likely, a 7mm eyepiece that are side by side. Is this what you are talking about? I'm sure nobody would get a clone ordering from Astronomics. This sort of thing usually happens on eBay.

Edited by rflinn68 (01/25/13 04:30 PM)

enklined

Reged: 01/27/12

Loc: Sacramento, Ca
      #5642940 - 01/25/13 04:35 PM

Hm...so I can get 2 shipped for $89, or add a 3rd for essentially $30 more (and get free shipping).

Meh, gonna stick with 2 I guess! :P

Edit: On second thought...why not just get the 9mm, since I can barlow it to 4.5? The 5mm barlowed would probably not offer me anything, with my scope and in my light polluted environment. Am I correct on this?

Editx2: Screw it, got both 5mm and 9mm; can always sell the 5 if it doesn't work out.

Edited by enklined (01/25/13 05:02 PM)

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: enklined]
      #5642954 - 01/25/13 04:42 PM

I'm not good at this, but somewheres I read that the guy who originally designed the TMB Planetary (Mr. Beck??), licensed out his design to a certain mfg. Apparently, there was another individual (Mr. Burgess??) involved who worked/partnered with Mr. Beck. After Mr. Beck's death, Mr. Burgess started producing the eyepieces too. Mr. Becks original version (I believe) had the TMB Planetary size numbers inside a big diamond shape, Mr. Burgess's version only had the number with no diamond. Both versions apparently work well, with the Beck versions being a bit better (due to coatings??). Not certain about the names, and exact relationship between the two, but they did work on the eyepiece together originally.

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

#5642977 - 01/25/13 05:01 PM

Look at these 2 images (both are used on the Astronomics 9mm TMB PII page.... and similar confusion reigns on the 5, 6 and 7mm pages):

http://www.astronomics.com/images/Product/large/16543.jpg

http://www.astronomics.com/images/Product/large/16543_1_.jpg

They are not the same eyepiece! So which one are Astronomics shipping?

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5642984 - 01/25/13 05:04 PM

Quote:

Mr. Becks original version (I believe) had the TMB Planetary size numbers inside a big diamond shape, Mr. Burgess's version only had the number with no diamond.

I don't recall a "diamond shape". Got any (links to) photos?

rflinn68
Carpal Tunnel

#5643034 - 01/25/13 05:38 PM

Quote:

Look at these 2 images (both are used on the Astronomics 9mm TMB PII page.... and similar confusion reigns on the 5, 6 and 7mm pages):

You correct, they are not the same eyepiece. One is a 9mm and, just guessing, the other is a 7mm. Those are not both 9mm eyepieces.

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: belgrade]
      #5643270 - 01/25/13 08:04 PM

Quote:

Free shipping? I have ordered this morning an advertised TMB 5mm EP for $40 and the charge for shipping was $8.95.

Yeah, my shipping was the same!!! Not sure what was meant by the "Free Shipping!!!!"......

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
      #5643298 - 01/25/13 08:25 PM

Quote:

On the second image, one shows the eyecup up and one shows the eyecup down.....same eyepiece. The entire body of the eyepiece moves up and down away from the eye lens to provide different eye placements.

From the product description: "Each has a flexible rubber fold-down eyeguard on top of a twist-up eyecup that can be raised or lowered to match precisely the eye relief you find most comfortable"

Ultron

Reged: 08/11/12

Loc: New Jersey
      #5643699 - 01/26/13 01:40 AM

Quote:

The second photo is a TMB Planetary II. My 6mm has its labels the same way. The eyecup twists upward to adjust eye position. The photo with the big 9 might be the old TMB Planetary series? Not sure what the differences are.

rflinn68
Carpal Tunnel

Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: mgwhittle]
      #5644037 - 01/26/13 09:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

On the second image, one shows the eyecup up and one shows the eyecup down.....same eyepiece. The entire body of the eyepiece moves up and down away from the eye lens to provide different eye placements.

From the product description: "Each has a flexible rubber fold-down eyeguard on top of a twist-up eyecup that can be raised or lowered to match precisely the eye relief you find most comfortable"

I've had my 6 and 9mm for a couple months and didnt know the entire eyecup twisted up until now
I understand that the TMB Planetary eyepiece is easy to counterfeit and has been done so several times. However, if you buy your TMB eyepiece from a reputable dealer, such as Astronomics, you will not get a fake. These are found mostly on eBay and from dishonest individuals that troll the internet. My 6mm and 9mm look exactly the same (other than the 9 on one and the 6 on the other ) and I'm sure the 5mm will look the same when it arrives. I'm not at all worried about it looking different and my set not matching. Too many conspiracy theorist in this country nowadays

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5644059 - 01/26/13 09:56 AM

Quote:

I'm not good at this, but somewheres I read that the guy who originally designed the TMB Planetary (Mr. Beck??), licensed out his design to a certain mfg. Apparently, there was another individual (Mr. Burgess??) involved who worked/partnered with Mr. Beck. After Mr. Beck's death, Mr. Burgess started producing the eyepieces too. Mr. Becks original version (I believe) had the TMB Planetary size numbers inside a big diamond shape, Mr. Burgess's version only had the number with no diamond. Both versions apparently work well, with the Beck versions being a bit better (due to coatings??). Not certain about the names, and exact relationship between the two, but they did work on the eyepiece together originally.

From Astronomics website:

Quote:

These TMB Optical® Planetary II eyepieces are the only eyepieces authorized by the estate of the late Thomas M. Back.

MawkHawk
sage

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
      #5644112 - 01/26/13 10:27 AM

WTH? I just got them like 2 weeks ago. Would have been nice to have been told that a 1/3 off sale was about to start...

rflinn68
Carpal Tunnel

Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: MawkHawk]
      #5644130 - 01/26/13 10:36 AM

Quote:

WTH? I just got them like 2 weeks ago. Would have been nice to have been told that a 1/3 off sale was about to start...

Thats usually how my luck goes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4326

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics