Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel


Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5649885 - 01/29/13 09:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I own the 3.2mm, 4mm, 6mm, and 9mm first gen EP's.

I am very happy with the performance. I imagine the 2nd gen are even better.

Grab them while you can!




I own the 2.5mm, 3.2mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7mm and 9mm of various generations. I like them, they're not type 6 Naglers but they are definitely good eyepieces.

Jon




On your recommendation I just ordered a 5mm. My highest power now is a 9mm expanse. Can't wait for the views of the planets.

Ken


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AstroGabe
sage


Reged: 01/10/10

Loc: SE Wisconsin
Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: kenrenard]
      #5650026 - 01/29/13 10:46 AM

Mine just showed up (5, 6, 7, 9mm). They look great and will complement my widefields nicely.

Gabe


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tom TAdministrator

*****

Reged: 02/26/02

Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: AstroGabe]
      #5650419 - 01/29/13 02:09 PM

I had all of the Gen I's at one point. Excellent performance for the dollar. I'd imagine that the Gen II's are just as good or better.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RobertED
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: Tom T]
      #5652604 - 01/30/13 03:53 PM

I got my 9mm TMB today (Wed 1/30). Great service.....very well packaged! Very well protected!! Very Happy......if only the clouds would clear!!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel


Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: RobertED]
      #5658427 - 02/02/13 04:11 PM

I just got my 5mm yesterday. Jupiter looked great almost like a picture. I can't believe they are $40.00. Thanks Astronomics.


Ken


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bsim
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 01/04/08

Loc: Miskatonic
Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: saemark30]
      #5658642 - 02/02/13 06:10 PM

Quote:

Are they as good as the Televue 3-6mm zoom eyepiece mm to mm?




I currently own the TMB Planetary 6mm and sold off a TMB Planetary 5mm. When I compared them to my Nagler 3-6 Zoom, they were not as good under good seeing conditions. Where I live, seeing conditions are mediocre and on those nights the TV 3-6 Zoom and TMB Planetary EPs would be comparable.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hottr6
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: hottr6]
      #5659939 - 02/03/13 12:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Look at these 2 images (both are used on the Astronomics 9mm TMB PII page.... and similar confusion reigns on the 5, 6 and 7mm pages):

http://www.astronomics.com/images/Product/large/16543.jpg

http://www.astronomics.com/images/Product/large/16543_1_.jpg

They are not the same eyepiece! So which one are Astronomics shipping?



I called Astronomics and they confirmed that the eyepiece(s) that will be shipped is the one with the big f/l in the smooth part of the rubber-knurled grip. I.e:
http://www.astronomics.com/images/Product/large/16543.jpg



Well, my 5, 7, 9 arrived, and am I *bleep*! The information given me by Astronomics was incorrect, and they have changed the images of the eyepieces! The EPs that arrived do match the images in Astronomics web page, but I was told that I/we would be getting the other design (of which the image has been removed).

I had a 5 and 6 of 2 differing designs, and I was hoping to "complete" the collection. I was told by Astronomics that I would be shipped EPs that matched my 6mm, so I ordered the 5, 7 and 9. As it turns out, the delivered EPs match my 5mm, so now I have a pair of 5mm, and an odd-ball 6mm. *BLEEP*!


Astronomics can expect a phone call from a disappointed customer on Monday. Sure it can be fixed, but I'm going to be out a lot for shipping.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
drbyyz
sage
**

Reged: 11/04/12

Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: hottr6]
      #5660083 - 02/03/13 02:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Look at these 2 images (both are used on the Astronomics 9mm TMB PII page.... and similar confusion reigns on the 5, 6 and 7mm pages):

http://www.astronomics.com/images/Product/large/16543.jpg

http://www.astronomics.com/images/Product/large/16543_1_.jpg

They are not the same eyepiece! So which one are Astronomics shipping?



I called Astronomics and they confirmed that the eyepiece(s) that will be shipped is the one with the big f/l in the smooth part of the rubber-knurled grip. I.e:
http://www.astronomics.com/images/Product/large/16543.jpg



Well, my 5, 7, 9 arrived, and am I *bleep*! The information given me by Astronomics was incorrect, and they have changed the images of the eyepieces! The EPs that arrived do match the images in Astronomics web page, but I was told that I/we would be getting the other design (of which the image has been removed).

I had a 5 and 6 of 2 differing designs, and I was hoping to "complete" the collection. I was told by Astronomics that I would be shipped EPs that matched my 6mm, so I ordered the 5, 7 and 9. As it turns out, the delivered EPs match my 5mm, so now I have a pair of 5mm, and an odd-ball 6mm. *BLEEP*!


Astronomics can expect a phone call from a disappointed customer on Monday. Sure it can be fixed, but I'm going to be out a lot for shipping.




I'm not too happy with them at the moment either also related to a purchase of a TMB. I ordered one LAST Friday morning before they even opened. On Monday afternoon I still had not received a shipping notice so I contacted them just to double check. They said my card had been declined and planned to contact me(not sure why they didn't on Friday or Saturday or most of the day Monday). Anyway, got the card situation resolved(I was using a Visa gift card and apparently I needed to attach my zip code to it in order to use it for online shopping). They told me they would ship it that day(Monday), I got a shipping notice on Wednesday saying it had shipped on Tuesday and still have not received the item(OK to SC). On the same note, I ordered an eyepiece from AgenaAstro on Wednesday and received it yesterday with FREE shipping(paid $8.95 to Astronomics). Not a happy customer at this point even though I've had great experiences with them in the past. Minus this purchase and one before where I didn't receive my CN discount, and when I asked about it I was told that they "put it in." But I never saw it.

Anyway, I'm ranting. Hope they fix the issue, sucks that they told you they were shipping one and you got the other. They should definitely do something to rectify that situation.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jim Rosenstock
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 07/14/05

Loc: MD, south of the DC Nebula
Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: drbyyz]
      #5660111 - 02/03/13 02:36 PM

Quote:

Astronomics can expect a phone call from a disappointed customer on Monday. Sure it can be fixed, but I'm going to be out a lot for shipping.




Actually, it sounds like an easy fix to me. Send back the duplicate 5mm in trade for the matching 6mm you need. And, I bet if you don't use too many "BLEEPS" in your phone converstaion with them, they'll help you out on the shipping, too.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jim Rosenstock
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 07/14/05

Loc: MD, south of the DC Nebula
Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: Jim Rosenstock]
      #5660153 - 02/03/13 02:58 PM

Vagrant thought....do you use your eyepieces to look at the stars, or do you use the stars to look at your eyepieces??

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hottr6
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: Jim Rosenstock]
      #5661746 - 02/04/13 01:09 PM

Just phoned Astronomics. They issued me with an RMB to return the duplicate eyepiece, and will ship me the one that I want. Good service.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AstronomicsAdministrator
Vendor if you must, AKA The Mighty Kong.
*****

Reged: 06/07/04

Loc: Right Here
Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: hottr6]
      #5662167 - 02/04/13 05:27 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

Before you get potentially the wrong eyepiece, attached is the current model TMB that we have had for the past two years. The old solid rubber body pictures showed up after the new site went live in September. We have not had those for over two years. If that is the style you want, then that is not the one you will get. The split ring is the current model and the picture was one I just pulled from stock a minute ago.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AstronomicsAdministrator
Vendor if you must, AKA The Mighty Kong.
*****

Reged: 06/07/04

Loc: Right Here
Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: Astronomics]
      #5662173 - 02/04/13 05:30 PM

Also sorry for any confusion, but there is not a CN discount on the item as it is $20 off. This is just so much room one can discount an item. I guess I need to draw more attention to it in the e-mail. We had stated any and all discounts apply and no rain checks. Again, sorry for the confusion.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
newtoskies
Pooh-Bah


Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: Astronomics]
      #5664860 - 02/06/13 09:28 AM

I was very tempted to get maybe the 7mm. I figure if I 2xbarlow the 9mm I have that should be good enough for me for a while.
A bit confused why you all need each one, all 4 ? Is there that much difference between the 7 and the 9mm ? or the 5 and 6, or 7mm ??
Just curious as I think one or two TMB's is good enough.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
REC
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5664922 - 02/06/13 10:19 AM

I would say there is on the 5 to 7mm for highest power on good seeing nights. For me with my 80mm it is a 30x difference from 90 to 120x and helps on say Jupiter right now.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
planet earth
Carpal Tunnel
****

Reged: 09/07/10

Loc: Ontario Canada
Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5665034 - 02/06/13 11:28 AM

Quote:

I was very tempted to get maybe the 7mm. I figure if I 2xbarlow the 9mm I have that should be good enough for me for a while.
A bit confused why you all need each one, all 4 ? Is there that much difference between the 7 and the 9mm ? or the 5 and 6, or 7mm ??
Just curious as I think one or two TMB's is good enough.




I use the 6,7,8,9mm TMB's with a Orion shorty 2x barlow or 1.5X if you unscrew the the lens off the barlow and screw it on to the eyepiece. (learned this on CN)
Gives you plenty of differant fl's and since the seeing is usually variable sometimes as little as 25X less or more power can make a differance as REC mentioned.
Sam


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rflinn68
Carpal Tunnel


Reged: 03/09/12

Loc: Arkansas
Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: Jim Rosenstock]
      #5665076 - 02/06/13 11:52 AM

Quote:

Vagrant thought....do you use your eyepieces to look at the stars, or do you use the stars to look at your eyepieces??






Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csrlice12
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: rflinn68]
      #5665177 - 02/06/13 12:43 PM

I use my eyes to look at both......

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hottr6
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: Astronomics]
      #5665363 - 02/06/13 02:13 PM

Quote:

Before you get potentially the wrong eyepiece, attached is the current model TMB that we have had for the past two years. The old solid rubber body pictures showed up after the new site went live in September. We have not had those for over two years. If that is the style you want, then that is not the one you will get. The split ring is the current model and the picture was one I just pulled from stock a minute ago.



Michael,

I am glad that you have adequately described the two models as "solid rubber body" and "split ring". When I placed my order, I thought I was getting "solid rubber body", and as you have correctly stated, I received "split ring". My existing 6mm is a "solid rubber body" and existing 5mm a "split ring", so when your shipment arrived, I had 2x5mm "split ring".

I believe the issue is now closed, as your company has simply said you will replace the 5mm "split ring" with a 6mm "split ring".

Anyone need a 6mm "solid rubber body"?


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rgm40
sage
*****

Reged: 04/15/08

Loc: Western Kentucky
Re: TMB Planetary II's for $40!! new [Re: hottr6]
      #5671644 - 02/10/13 12:09 AM

Anyone tried out their new TMB PIIs yet? I picked up one of the 6mm but endless supply of clouds has kept me from trying it out. Never looked thru one before, but this is the first EP I have purchased that has the end of the barrel blackened. I like that. I wish all EPs were like that.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)


Extra information
20 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 4323

Jump to

CN Forums Home


Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics