Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: Starman1]
      #5661621 - 02/04/13 12:01 PM

Thanks, but I already took care of those with after-market eyecups. The one I put on the Meade 5k SWA 24 is a nice fit, comparable to the ring I cut out from the UWA 24's shroud. For the two UWA 6.7's, I used a couple accordian-style eyecups. They'll do. I have a small bag full of those eyecups that I've collected over the years.

Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5661655 - 02/04/13 12:22 PM

What, no pics of your eyepiece cup collection????

I, at one time, had an extensive eyepiece cap collection. However, over time, I have come to the conclusion that eyepiece cups have only one purpose: To do everything they can to NOT be put on an eyepiece. They'll fall off, climb into pockets, bags, the grass, they'll even wonder off and put themselves on other's eyepieces (but only temporarily, till you want them on there). Some just run away never to be seen again....except one, it says Televue on it, and doesnt fit any of my Televue Eyepieces, and has taken up residence in my case and won't leave.

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5661676 - 02/04/13 12:31 PM

I make eyepiece shields using sheets of thin black foam rubber from a local art supply store. I wrap a length around the barrel of the eyepiece and run a bead of hot-melt glue along the seam. These are soft, easy to form into eactly the shape that you want, and are easily sdjusted to any length. They also slip down around the eyepiece for storage. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5661732 - 02/04/13 12:58 PM

Quote:

What, no pics of your eyepiece cup collection????

Maybe "collection" is the wrong word to describe it. It's more like an "accumulation."

Quote:

I, at one time, had an extensive eyepiece cap collection. However, over time, I have come to the conclusion that eyepiece cups have only one purpose: To do everything they can to NOT be put on an eyepiece.

Cups or caps? The cups have a firm grip on the eyepieces and aren't coming off unless I pull them off.

The caps are somewhat shakier. But I search for the best fit from those in my eyecap collection ... I mean, accumulation. The bright yellow ones are among the best. They are easy to see in the dark and tend to hang on.

I must have eyecaps on the eyecups. Maryland is a dewy land.

Mike

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #5661873 - 02/04/13 02:11 PM

Quote:

I must have eyecaps on the eyecups. Maryland is a dewy land.

Mike

The one exception I've found to that is in the dead of winter, with temperatures below the dew point (i.e. frost point). Having the eyecup off the eyepiece seems to keep fog from forming on the eyepiece as easily.
Perhaps my eyes are unusually moist or warm, and that is what is responsible for them fogging so easily when I have the eyecups in place.
Whatever the reason, having some circulating air between my eye and the eyepiece (i.e. eyecup removed) seems to keep them from fogging up as much.
Otherwise, in really dewy environments, I agree with Mike.

jgraham
Postmaster

#5662244 - 02/04/13 06:16 PM

I also have a big problem with my eyepieces fogging up. I use one of those cheapy personal fans with soft foam blades to blow air over my eyepiece as I observe. It is a cute little fan that I keep on a lanyard around my neck.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: jgraham]
      #5662251 - 02/04/13 06:21 PM

Quote:

I also have a big problem with my eyepieces fogging up. I use one of those cheapy personal fans with soft foam blades to blow air over my eyepiece as I observe. It is a cute little fan that I keep on a lanyard around my neck.

--------------------
-John

I never thought of that! Great idea! Thanks for the tip!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5662330 - 02/04/13 07:18 PM

I've never had much of a problem with eyepieces fogging up from my eyes or breath. But I keep the dew strap around the eyepiece and the power supply on, so there is no problem with condensation, whatever the source. That's the best and surest solution.

Mike

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: bob midiri]
      #5662673 - 02/04/13 11:01 PM

Quote:

Just came not the best packing;;

Mine arrived tonight, packed the same way. On opening, the eyepiece appears to have been wrapped in used bubble-wrap. Al least the diagonal was wrapped in what appeared to be new bubble-wrap. The 2"-to-1.25" holder was sitting loose in the box.

In my experience, the S5K Meades come in nice, fitted boxes. I presume ditto for the diagonal.

So what is the story here? Are they Meade "seconds"? Used?

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: hottr6]
      #5662970 - 02/05/13 07:09 AM

If they are used or seconds, they look in great shape. I could find no defects at all.

Mike

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: hottr6]
      #5663069 - 02/05/13 08:42 AM

Maybe they just saved costs by not putting the eyepiece/diagonal into separate pretty boxes and were able to pass those savings on this way....As long as they look new and perform, no problem.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5663084 - 02/05/13 08:53 AM

Whenever I get fancy shmancy boxes I just throw them into a big box in the attic. I keep the boxes in case I sell the item. Other than that, I have no use for them.

Mike

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5663301 - 02/05/13 10:34 AM

I've kept my boxes too, didn't know why, I just stacked them onto a bookshelf. Now I'm finding out there's a whole universe full of eyepiece box collectors out there. In fact, the only way I got my 11mmT1 Nagler Box was to buy the eyepiece with it!!

Manish
Vendor (AGENA AstroProducts)

Reged: 02/22/05

Loc: Los Angeles Area, CA
      #5663401 - 02/05/13 11:22 AM

>>Maybe they just saved costs by not putting the eyepiece/diagonal into separate pretty boxes and were able to pass those savings on this way

That's exactly what it is. From what we've been told, these are definitely not seconds/used. Meade's packaging hasn't been the prettiest in the last couple of years. We routinely get brand new items in dinged up boxes or packaged in plain corrugated cardboard boxes.

Regards,
Manish
www.AgenaAstro.com

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #5663436 - 02/05/13 11:41 AM

Quote:

Maybe they just saved costs by not putting the eyepiece/diagonal into separate pretty boxes and were able to pass those savings on this way....As long as they look new and perform, no problem.

They were obviously bought to be used on scopes that Meade didn't make.
When things are bought in OEM packaging, there are no fancy boxes and things are often quite simply packed to get the most units in the smallest cartons. That lowers the cost of freight and cost of packaging.
When OEM parts are sold to consumers, the packaging is minimal, as has been shown.
Seconds? No.
OEM? Quite likely.

jgraham
Postmaster

#5663535 - 02/05/13 12:46 PM

I've bought quite a few things through Meade's outlet store and most of it comes packed like this. Most of what I've bought has been left-overs from the end of a production run. All of it has been good stuff (and a great way to buy last year's latest and greatest and a great price). I suspect that these are part of a stock liquidation, but that is just a guess. Regardless, mine is Out For Delivery!

Duplin

Reged: 06/23/12

Loc: Eastern North Carolina
      #5663828 - 02/05/13 03:57 PM

Just received mine. Basic packaging as has been reported, but geeezzzz...what an eyepiece...and the diagonal seems high quality also. Quite happy with the price, and my sincerest apologies to residents of Eastern North Carolina for the coming overcast week that is now assured.;-)

jgraham
Postmaster

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: Duplin]
      #5664104 - 02/05/13 06:18 PM

I just opened mine. The packaging was simple, but effective. No problems there. Everything looks great! The anodized blue diagonal looks much nicer than I thought it would. The eyepiece looks great as well. I'm gonna let it warm up before I fiddle with it. Overall I'm very pleased with this set. Now all I need is some clear weather!

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
      #5664121 - 02/05/13 06:27 PM

The diagonal came in a plain big black box with cut to fit foam. It's a very nice piece with an adapter for 2" visual backs and two set screws. The paint matches the paint on my 10"ACF; the reason I bought it. Very nice! Also, got the 1.25" RGBL filter set for my Snazzy new Orion five-place filter wheel. I love a good deal :-)

asrrin29

Reged: 09/08/09

Loc: Columbia, MD, USA
Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5664187 - 02/05/13 07:11 PM

Well I guess there has to be one in every bunch. Just received mine and I'm hoping mad! It arrived today severely damaged. The eyepiece looked as if it had been dropped, as the eyepiece cap was broken, the eye cup near the break was torn, and the glass inside the eyepiece is loose. Also, there is damage on the rim of the eyepiece as well.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10128

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics