Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: First real test of my ES 82 eyepieces new [Re: Stargaz18]
      #5664767 - 02/06/13 08:05 AM

"The only nit I had was a faint greenish tint that showed in the 82's when during daylight when my eye was close to the blackout position."

Didn't your mama tell you you'll go blind doing that?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
Re: First real test of my ES 82 eyepieces new [Re: sslcm56]
      #5664829 - 02/06/13 09:05 AM

You'll be very happy with these eyepieces, but if you don't have a coma corrector, I suggest considering getting one. Chances are there's a local astronomy club near you who has members that have one you can try out in person. Yes, they can be expensive but I picked up a Paracorr for $150.00 used in good shape. Coma is quite noticeable at F/5 and below, and the huge apparent field of view will mean stars will be tiny comets across much of the field. I use Paracorrs in my 10 and 15-inch Dobs, and with the ES 82 degree eyepieces I get pinpoint stars right across the field. That results in fantastic views of objects such as the Pleiades and Double Cluster.

Taras

russell23
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/31/09

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5665197 - 02/06/13 12:52 PM

Quote:

I am so glad that I found this little thread! I am going to order the ES 30 the 14 and the 4.7 tomorrow or the next day. I have been so NERVOUS about dropping so much money on anything that I don't know that much about. I'm glad that all here seem to like theirs so much. Does anyone have the ES barlow? I might as well get one of those also if it's worth it.

I have a 1.25" 2x ES barlow that I purchased in January. I've only had 2 chances to use it - a night with really lousy seeing conditions and a 2nd night that was pretty good seeing conditions.

Based upon the limited opportunity on that second night I think the ES 2x barlow is probably excellent. However, if the hourly forecast holds up I will have some clear skies this evening and will get back to you with specifics.

Dave

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: First real test of my ES 82 eyepieces new [Re: russell23]
      #5665235 - 02/06/13 01:13 PM

I truthfully don't use my barlows anymore, preferring fixed f/l eyepieces. Not that I won't ever use it, but just don't anymore (maybe on that one night in a lifetime where you see the stacked barlow pics). That being said, everyone should have a 2X barlow in their kit. Truth be told, barlows are pretty basic optical technology, and the GSO barlow will perform as well as any and also allows you to take off the bottom of the barlow and put in on your eyepiece and it acts like a 1.5X barlow...down the road though, as you collect more eyepieces (and who doesn't along the way), you'll probably find you use it less and less. I'd probalbly save a few $$ and go with the GSO barlow.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Re: First real test of my ES 82 eyepieces new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5665490 - 02/06/13 03:19 PM

Quote:

I truthfully don't use my barlows anymore, preferring fixed f/l eyepieces. Not that I won't ever use it, but just don't anymore (maybe on that one night in a lifetime where you see the stacked barlow pics). That being said, everyone should have a 2X barlow in their kit. Truth be told, barlows are pretty basic optical technology, and the GSO barlow will perform as well as any and also allows you to take off the bottom of the barlow and put in on your eyepiece and it acts like a 1.5X barlow...down the road though, as you collect more eyepieces (and who doesn't along the way), you'll probably find you use it less and less. I'd probalbly save a few $$ and go with the GSO barlow.

Very valid points made here! I have been exactly the same in this regard to barlows. I've used them, got rid of them, (even more than my eyepieces believe it or not, lol), and I find that fixed FL eyepieces really do a lot better, especially when deep sky observing and needing more power because you only have so much time before the dim object in your sights drifts away from the field if you use a non-driven mount.

When it comes to planets, I will use a barlow any time because the object is bright and you can always find it again if it drifts from the view.

I've owned both the 2" GSO and 2" Antares barlows and can't see any difference in views from each. Just last night I saw a new barlow made by Antares: it has a 2" Twist Lock built right on it and is threaded for 2" filters!

Antares 2" 1.6x Barlow Lens with Twist Lock

Cheers,

Edited by Scanning4Comets (02/06/13 03:23 PM)

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: First real test of my ES 82 eyepieces new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5665586 - 02/06/13 04:14 PM

I'm using barlows more than ever before. Mostly because I use a binoviewer a lot. Some eyepieces just barlow a heck of a lot better than others. Some plössls, more than other eyepieces I've tried, are awful in a barlow, for some strange reason. My 25mm Zeiss microscope eyepieces barlow extremely well and will take a ridiculously huge amount of barlowing without ill effects. My ES 82 eyepieces also barlow extremely well.

I find that today I strongly prefer an eyepiece with long focal length and generous eye relief over an eyepiece with short native focal length. Remember, the ES 82 eyepieces all have a built-in barlow element (often referred to as a Smyth lens). I count that as using a barlow. My 8.8mm ES 82 has roughly the same eye relief and comfort of my barlowed 17mm plössl (but a much larger field, of course).

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
      #5665741 - 02/06/13 05:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Very valid points made here! I have been exactly the same in this regard to barlows. I've used them, got rid of them, (even more than my eyepieces believe it or not, lol), and I find that fixed FL eyepieces really do a lot better, especially when deep sky observing and needing more power because you only have so much time before the dim object in your sights drifts away from the field if you use a non-driven mount.

When it comes to planets, I will use a barlow any time because the object is bright and you can always find it again if it drifts from the view.

I've owned both the 2" GSO and 2" Antares barlows and can't see any difference in views from each. Just last night I saw a new barlow made by Antares: it has a 2" Twist Lock built right on it and is threaded for 2" filters!

Antares 2" 1.6x Barlow Lens with Twist Lock

Cheers,

Nice find--the new and improved Antares 1.6x 2" barlow looks great! They skipped the compression ring and opted for the twist-lock mechanism, interesting. And finally now with the 2" filter threads and the price is very reasonable. I think I just sold myself on one.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: First real test of my ES 82 eyepieces new [Re: Starman81]
      #5665953 - 02/06/13 08:15 PM

Uh, guys, did you read the last line of that ad:

"Please note: A couple of tiny dust particles between lens elements, uneven lens edge blackening, very minor coating blemishes, or even a very small fine lens scratch or two are very common in this Antares product and must be accepted as normal. However, these will not impact optical performance."

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

#5666088 - 02/06/13 09:50 PM

Quote:

Uh, guys, did you read the last line of that ad:

"Please note: A couple of tiny dust particles between lens elements, uneven lens edge blackening, very minor coating blemishes, or even a very small fine lens scratch or two are very common in this Antares product and must be accepted as normal. However, these will not impact optical performance."

Yea, I saw that. Not a huge deal really since it is only $95.00. If I ever get another one, this will the one for me too!

Cheers,

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5666629 - 02/07/13 08:30 AM

Nah, I'll spend $50 for a barlow with good optics instead.....

russell23
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/31/09

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5666798 - 02/07/13 10:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I am so glad that I found this little thread! I am going to order the ES 30 the 14 and the 4.7 tomorrow or the next day. I have been so NERVOUS about dropping so much money on anything that I don't know that much about. I'm glad that all here seem to like theirs so much. Does anyone have the ES barlow? I might as well get one of those also if it's worth it.

I have a 1.25" 2x ES barlow that I purchased in January. I've only had 2 chances to use it - a night with really lousy seeing conditions and a 2nd night that was pretty good seeing conditions.

Based upon the limited opportunity on that second night I think the ES 2x barlow is probably excellent. However, if the hourly forecast holds up I will have some clear skies this evening and will get back to you with specifics.

Dave

Well I did get a chance to use the 2x ES barlow last night - and the sky conditions were the best I've seen in several months. The ES barlow really does a nice job. It works like a TV Powermate. I used it with my 30mm and 17mm silvertops, 15mm Paradigm, 12.8mm Zeiss, 20mm XW, and 16mm Flat field eyepiece.

What I can tell you is that with all of those eyepieces it performed extremely well. It maintained the exit pupl characteristics of the eyepiece while sharpening the edge performance. It did not introduce any annoying light effects at the edge of the field (brightening, distortion, scatter) as some cheap barlows will do.

I could not find any fault with the ES 2x barlow and I love the construction. The locking screw is nice and large and east to tighten/loosen with gloves on.

I actually found that the ES 2x barlow performed better than a 2.5x Powermate with some eyepieces - the 20mm XW in particular.

Dave

sslcm56

Reged: 07/20/12

Loc: Montgomery, Al.
      #5667932 - 02/07/13 09:57 PM

Thanks Dave....I ordered the 30mm the 6.7mm and the 2" 2X barlow with 1.25 adapter. Now it's just a waiting game till Astronomics gets them in. Of course the clouds will part and the sky will be crystal clear until the day I get them!

PolarBearCO

Reged: 01/25/13

#5672481 - 02/10/13 02:37 PM

Quote:

I am so glad that I found this little thread! I am going to order the ES 30 the 14 and the 4.7 tomorrow or the next day.

Where did you order from? I can't find anyone that has them in stock. Well, I haven't looked at Adorama or Hayneedle because their prices don't reflect the currect sale prices.

I have the ES 82 11 and 18 and want to grab the 6.7 but can't find it in stock. Most places don't seem to allow backorders. I can order it from ES directly, but their site doesn't say whether it's in stock or just an order.

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Re: First real test of my ES 82 eyepieces new [Re: PolarBearCO]
      #5672508 - 02/10/13 02:47 PM

The ES 6.7 seems to be sold out friggin' everywhere! Also in Europe.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: First real test of my ES 82 eyepieces new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5672520 - 02/10/13 02:56 PM

a fresh batch of new eyepiece material is being whipped up in the middle of a star going nova anytime now..........

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

#5672554 - 02/10/13 03:18 PM

According to the homepage, where I get my ES eyepieces, the star is about to go boom sometime around mid-march, showering us with 6.7mm's.

And a supernova is going off in early may, it seems, for that is the scheduled day of arrival for the ES100 5.5mm!

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

rgm40
sage

Reged: 04/15/08

Loc: Western Kentucky
Re: First real test of my ES 82 eyepieces new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5672651 - 02/10/13 04:33 PM

Has anyone else experienced what appears like vignetting around the FOV of your ES82s? I am not an expert on why vignetting occurs although I am fully aware that secondary mirror sizing comes to play. I have noticed this with my ES 82s whereas I do not notice this with 68 degree fields or with 2" eyepieces; at least, not to a significantly noticeable degree.

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Re: First real test of my ES 82 eyepieces new [Re: rgm40]
      #5672693 - 02/10/13 04:56 PM

I haven't noticed any such thing. Could you elaborate on how it looks and what scope you have?

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
Re: First real test of my ES 82 eyepieces new [Re: rgm40]
      #5672700 - 02/10/13 05:03 PM

I haven't noticed any vignetting with mine, in any of my three telescopes.

Taras

rgm40
sage

Reged: 04/15/08

Loc: Western Kentucky
Re: First real test of my ES 82 eyepieces new [Re: Achernar]
      #5672724 - 02/10/13 05:26 PM

10 inch f/7.55 with 1.58 secondary mirror. Views are excellent. I just notice a fall-off in brightness around the outer third when using the 82 degree ES eyepieces. I do not have any other 82 degree eyepieces to compare. With my setup, the 1.58 secondary is on the upper end of the sizing spectrum according to NEWT but is supposed to be in the error free zone.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2476

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics