Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
saptharishi

Reged: 06/15/12

Loc: Bangalore, India
Are Televue EPs water proof?
      #5681336 - 02/15/13 12:24 PM

I am wondering why televue have not made their EPs water proof? Even their premium lines. Are there any practical disadvantages? Or impact on performance?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Are Televue EPs water proof? new [Re: saptharishi]
      #5681497 - 02/15/13 01:26 PM

Without the purging, they dont float, they just drop to the bottom of the bathtub till they drown...where they become eyepieces for Televue's new OceanScope.......

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/02/05

Loc: Guilford, Connecticut
      #5681686 - 02/15/13 02:39 PM

The only real advantage is to prevent internal fogging. I have seen some posts here on CN from observers in very humid areas that have had this happen. I've never had an eyepiece fog up on the inside and I've been observing for over 25 years.

Waterproofing is at the very bottom of my list of important qualities for an eyepiece. The only thing less important to me is whether an eyepiece is perceived to have a "cool" or "warm" color tone.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Are Televue EPs water proof? new [Re: Jim Romanski]
      #5681773 - 02/15/13 03:23 PM

Quote:

The only real advantage is to prevent internal fogging.

Another advantage to waterproofing is when you drop your eyepiece into water. The waterproof one will not be ruined.

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
Re: Are Televue EPs water proof? new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5681827 - 02/15/13 03:48 PM

Something that most won't have to deal with is the possibility of fungal growth (think high humidity tropical). I had a couple of TV smoothies from 2 decades back that are affected, half dozen SLR lenses (bigger issue as they as move air when focusing or zooming), polar scopes, numerous binos, and a C8. You could of course minimize the problem with dry cabinets, but a purged and sealed unit would help a long ways.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: Are Televue EPs water proof? new [Re: Jim Romanski]
      #5681840 - 02/15/13 03:54 PM

Yep, 30 years and no issues with eyepieces of any make. Including a WWII surplus eyepiece, and no telling where it had been.

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
      #5681954 - 02/15/13 04:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Another advantage to waterproofing is when you drop your eyepiece into water. The waterproof one will not be ruined.

That's happened many times to me while out observing. No, wait...

I can see it being very important for spotting scopes, I use my Leica in the rain, carry it through swamps, etc. On the astro side I observe in an area that has horrible dew problems and have never had moisture inside a non-waterproof eyepiece.

Lt 26
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/19/09

Loc: Northwest Illinois
Re: Are Televue EPs water proof? new [Re: Paul G]
      #5682123 - 02/15/13 06:35 PM

My question has always been are the others waterproof. If so for how long. I think this is more of a gimmick. Don' t want no eyepieces that have been dunked in a tank first.

Dereck

The Ardent
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/24/08

Loc: Virginia
Re: Are Televue EPs water proof? new [Re: Lt 26]
      #5682262 - 02/15/13 08:02 PM

Televue eyepieces are fine instruments valued by discriminating observers who treat their possessions with care. Who drops their Canon or SBIG camera in water?

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/17/08

Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Are Televue EPs water proof? new [Re: The Ardent]
      #5682285 - 02/15/13 08:26 PM

Reduces risk of moisture ingress when cleaning

Bit of a safety for damp consitions

Cuts out internal fogging

Refuces risk of fungal growth

When you live in the UK and its wet a lot, rain can come out of nowhere, it can be humid, damp, foggy its no bad thang go have a bit of extra help.

Pentax XWs arent waerproof but they are weatherproof as well.

I admit its not the top priority when choosing an EP but it soes seem a sensible thing.

saptharishi

Re: Are Televue EPs water proof? new [Re: astro_baby]
      #5682408 - 02/15/13 09:38 PM

Right. I too felt that there may not be any 'must have' advantages of waterproofing EPs, given that they are always used with scopes that are not. Binos... Yes, it is required.

Accidentally dropping the EP in water may not be a strong enough for waterproofing

However, it can be a 'nice to have' in at least in higher priced EPs to avoid internal fogging. Again that will increase the cost of already costly EPs.

From the replies I can understand that there no disadvantages ( like reduced performance) due to waterproofing.

Doug Culbertson
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/06/05

Re: Are Televue EPs water proof? new [Re: Lt 26]
      #5682423 - 02/15/13 09:49 PM

Quote:

My question has always been are the others waterproof. If so for how long. I think this is more of a gimmick. Don' t want no eyepieces that have been dunked in a tank first.

Dereck

Right, and if TV had introduced N2 purged eyepieces first, they would have been hailed as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
      #5682433 - 02/15/13 09:53 PM

The stewardess on the last flight I took said, as part of the preflight safety announcement: "In case of an unexpected water landing, those of you with Explore Scientific EPs in your carry-ons should use those for personal floatation devices. The rest of you will find a life vest under your seat..."

saptharishi

Re: Are Televue EPs water proof? new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5682557 - 02/15/13 11:12 PM

Ha..ha..ha.... That was a good one. I will use the life vest

meteorite

Reged: 01/28/06

Re: Are Televue EPs water proof? new [Re: Doug Culbertson]
      #5682711 - 02/16/13 01:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Dereck

Right, and if TV had introduced N2 purged eyepieces first, they would have been hailed as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Bingo!!!

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: Are Televue EPs water proof? new [Re: Doug Culbertson]
      #5682785 - 02/16/13 03:17 AM

Quote:

This. And other companies following the good example would be blamed for copying, lack of ingenuity (because they didn't do it first) and generally be laughed upon, because they didn't offer N2 purged waterproof eyepieces before TeleVue.

I surely don't see it as a sales gimmick. It's a genuinely useful feature in some situations and certain climes, for others, it's not an important thing, just as with so many other design parameters. Some are important to you, others not. Choose what you need.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Are Televue EPs water proof? new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5682823 - 02/16/13 04:49 AM

On one occasion the morning after an observing session afflicted by extremely heavy dew, I noticed that one of my Naglers I had used had fogged up internally (I think it was my 13T6). I simply unscrewed the lower barrel half from the upper black anodized aluminum half, gently dabbed with an optical cloth, and then let the respective halves finish drying a few minutes and screwed the two halves back together. You can safely use this same approach with all the T4s, T5s, and T6s, since the respective exposed lenses in each respective half are firmly held by retaining rings (and hence not at risk of coming loose or falling out), and these are the lens surfaces most likely vulnerable to internal fogging.

However, I cannot say whether this same tactic is as safely workable with either Panoptics or Ethos; I only have one Panoptics (24mm) which hasn't ever fogged up internally, and neither have any of my Ethos. What I can say is that I have an all-Televue eyepiece collection, and there have been plenty of nights when I've come home from a dew-prone session at our club's observing site with every single eyepiece I've used dripping-wet with moisture, and I've only ever had the one aforementioned instance of internal fogging. Whenever my EPs come home at all damp, I lay them out on the shelves of my study, both endcaps off, and let them (and their respective bolt cases) dry out overnight. I'll use the endcaps to prop them up so the bottom lens is open to air circulation.

I'm not here saying that ES's "nitrogen purged" internals are not a nice innovation, but rather that internal fogging from Televue's has proven (so far) to be a rather rare, and safely, easily manageable issue, and I observe in an often moist, dew-prone climate.

Kutno
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/17/09

#5683039 - 02/16/13 09:30 AM

Quote:

I too felt that there may not be any 'must have' advantages of waterproofing EPs, given that they are always used with scopes that are not.

Good point!

Kutno
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/17/09

#5683101 - 02/16/13 10:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I wonder if they make something in the two ounce range, so I can use it as a sinker, the next time I go fishing for stripers?

All the best, Johnny!

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: Are Televue EPs water proof? new [Re: Kutno]
      #5683144 - 02/16/13 10:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I too felt that there may not be any 'must have' advantages of waterproofing EPs, given that they are always used with scopes that are not.

Good point!

I don't think this is true in all circumstances. For the many birders out there, especially those that enjoy their hobby in the field in a variety of weather conditions, there are a host of spotting scopes that are waterproof that use 1.25" eyepieces. So having the eyepiece component also waterproof is desired. In addition to birding, this also goes for the many shooters who use a target spotting scope and shoot in very humid or rain/high humidity conditions. So the foresight to make your eyepiece waterproof simply opens up their potential use in other hobbies where this feature is very much desired and a real plus. True it may be rare need for astronomical use, both this is not the sole use for an eyepiece.

Edited by BillP (02/16/13 01:05 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
22 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2135

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics