Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Phillip Creed
Idiot Seeking Village

Reged: 07/25/06

Loc: Canton, OH
14mm Delos just arrived!
      #5683311 - 02/16/13 11:40 AM

As part of my desire to re-configure my line-up from ultra- and hyper-wides to superwides, I've got the one eyepiece I've been most eager to try out--the 14mm Delos.

My premier eyepeice for the longest time was a 13T6 Nagler, but my astigmatism got to the point where I couldn't use it comfortably without (or with) glasses. So I got a 13mm Ethos, which had sufficient eye relief, but I was always straining to see the field stop. A lot of times I noticed I was being distracted by the massively-wide field stop, and I noticed that whenever I used a 70-deg AFOV eyepiece like a Pentax XW, everything just seemed far more comfortable and "there". So I reconfigured the line-up.

The question was what to do with the eyepiece closest to 13mm, which hits the "sweet spot" in most f/4.5 to f/6 Dobs. I decided to go with the 14mm Delos, because (a) I wanted the eye relief. Having up to 20mm of ER never hurts, (b) the 14XW has field curvature issues, so I took a chance that Televue wouldn't have those demons in the Delos line, which I can buy because (c) the 10mm Delos is just stunningly sharp and as part of a Televue line-up that's built "from the ground up" vs. matched to a spotting scope, it's reasonable to assume the same performance criteria are valid throughout the line-up, (d) the 14mm Delos' 17.3mm field stop very closely mimics the 17.6mm of my old 13T6, and (e) the 12T4 simply doesn't work that well w/o a Paracorr. As far as I'm concerned, I can't get a T4 without spending the extra money on a Paracorr, while I've found that the T5's, T6's and the Ethoi are more than sharp enough w/o a Paracorr for my tastes at f/5.

Naturally, it's cloudy here in NE Ohio (winter sky cover here typically is 80% or more), so it'll probably be a while before I get "first light" on the 14D. I'll keep everyone posted.

Clear Skies,
Phil

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dave M
Postmaster

Reged: 08/03/04

Loc: Ohio
Re: 14mm Delos just arrived! new [Re: Phillip Creed]
      #5683451 - 02/16/13 12:46 PM

Excellent line-up Phil, Congrats!
I`m looking foreward to getting some views through the
two Delos`s.

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
Re: 14mm Delos just arrived! new [Re: Dave M]
      #5683489 - 02/16/13 01:03 PM

I too would be interested in getting further impressions!!!

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: 14mm Delos just arrived! new [Re: Aquarist]
      #5683508 - 02/16/13 01:10 PM

I'll be curious to read your report Phil. I have the 14mm Pentax XW and its curvature with my Paracorr doesn't bother me a bit. Again though, looking forward to your report as I use a 14" F4.6 scope.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: 14mm Delos just arrived! new [Re: JayinUT]
      #5683877 - 02/16/13 04:57 PM

Congrats on the new glass Phil! Pics please! Tease us all with nice pics of the EP and huge glass ! I also want a report on my desk in the morning! Would really like to know how it is compared to the 14mm XW and 14mm Denkmeier!

Cheers,

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: 14mm Delos just arrived! new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5683893 - 02/16/13 05:06 PM

Phil, I wish you had access to the XW 14 or Denk 14 or even the LVW 13 for a shootout with the Delos. Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to your findings on the 14 Delos.

russell23
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/31/09

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: 14mm Delos just arrived! new [Re: Starman81]
      #5683931 - 02/16/13 05:31 PM

Quote:

Phil, I wish you had access to the XW 14 or Denk 14 or even the LVW 13 for a shootout with the Delos. Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to your findings on the 14 Delos.

14mm Delos vs. 14mm XW vs. 14mm Denkmeier vs. 13mm LVW ... I say Ditka wins that match!

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: 14mm Delos just arrived! new [Re: russell23]
      #5684135 - 02/16/13 07:46 PM

Good post Phil. I'm in the process of doing the same exact thing you are. I won't need to use glasses at that focal length, but I'm finding I enjoy 70* eyepieces best (with long eye relief). I might end up with the Pentax, because I do use a Paracorr, but I'm interested in the Delos as well.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5684242 - 02/16/13 09:06 PM

Quote:

I decided to go with the 14mm Delos

I love mine. I also own the 10, 8 and 6.

SeattleStarGazer

Reged: 10/19/07

Re: 14mm Delos just arrived! new [Re: GeneT]
      #5684266 - 02/16/13 09:16 PM

I have been thinking about this. I have 3 Ethoi, but I have to use a Dioptrx with my astigmatism to see anywhere near the apparent FOV and so have to do a lot of switching as I change eyepieces. Plus i kinda get lost in that huge view. Although it is nice to observe without glasses it's a little bit of a hassle too. I got a Delos 17.3 and I really liked the nice framing of an object and that I was able to see it all with my glasses on. So was thinking of getting one or two more Delos before observing season really hits in a couple months.

Phillip Creed
Idiot Seeking Village

Re: 14mm Delos just arrived! new [Re: SeattleStarGazer]
      #5684501 - 02/17/13 12:36 AM

Nothing but snow and clouds here, so no first light. Weather around here is usually atrocious in the wintertime, and the next stretch of days looks like no exception.

My test chamber's going to be fairly brutal--an 8" f/4.9 w/o Paracorr. We'll see how it works when the skies clear.

Clear Skies,
Phil

Chucky
sage

Reged: 04/16/10

Loc: Dublin, Ohio
      #5684708 - 02/17/13 07:05 AM

<< so it'll probably be a while before I get "first light" on the 14D. >>

Phil, anxious to look through the thing down at Calhoun!!! Hope all is well.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: 14mm Delos just arrived! new [Re: SeattleStarGazer]
      #5685398 - 02/17/13 03:05 PM

Quote:

I have been thinking about this. I have 3 Ethoi, but I have to use a Dioptrx with my astigmatism to see anywhere near the apparent FOV and so have to do a lot of switching as I change eyepieces. Plus i kinda get lost in that huge view. Although it is nice to observe without glasses it's a little bit of a hassle too. I got a Delos 17.3 and I really liked the nice framing of an object and that I was able to see it all with my glasses on. So was thinking of getting one or two more Delos before observing season really hits in a couple months.

Several years ago, I pushed eye relief to number three in what I want in an eyepiece. I have found that with Naglers, you need at least 17mm of eye relief to view while wearing glasses. However, 19 or 20 is even better. The Delos meets that criteria. So does the 31, 22, Naglers. The 12 Nagler has 17mm of eye relief which is barely enough for use while wearing glasses.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: 14mm Delos just arrived! new [Re: GeneT]
      #5685404 - 02/17/13 03:30 PM

If you can't test it because of the weather now, how about a few teaser pics next to other eyepieces to show the scale?

Maybe a few eye lens shots for us eyepiece nuts?

Cheers,

Dave M
Postmaster

Reged: 08/03/04

Loc: Ohio
      #5685452 - 02/17/13 04:05 PM

Quote:

Nothing but snow and clouds here, so no first light. Weather around here is usually atrocious in the wintertime, and the next stretch of days looks like no exception.

My test chamber's going to be fairly brutal--an 8" f/4.9 w/o Paracorr. We'll see how it works when the skies clear.

Clear Skies,
Phil

Actually looking at Clear Sky Chart it looks like its going to be clear tonight

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: 14mm Delos just arrived! new [Re: Dave M]
      #5685468 - 02/17/13 04:16 PM

It was clear out for a bit last night, but not my idea of fun feeling like -19C !!! I *do* get out myself when it's this cold, but for no longer than 1 hour.

Cheers,

Phillip Creed
Idiot Seeking Village

Re: 14mm Delos just arrived! new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5685622 - 02/17/13 05:47 PM

Between the clouds, I just got a very, very quick peek at the moon in the fading hours of day with the 14mm Delos in the 8" f/4.9.

First impressions:

(1) Very sharp on and off-axis. It's a Televue. In other shocking news, Lake Erie is moist.

(2) I'm grateful that the Orion 8" f/4.9 is a dual photo/visual instrument. These tend to require extension tubes to get most eyepieces to focus. Most. The 14mm Delos, though, requires significantly more infocus than the 10mm Delos, so I just took off the extension tube. I don't know the exact amount, but it's not a smidge; it's a lot. Definitely more infocus than a 30ES-82.

3. Slight softness near the extreme edge of the FOV (>97% out), manifesting itself in a tiny bit less detail in shadows around the craters and along the terminator. I don't know if it's a slight field curvature, off-axis astimgatism or--what I suspect--coma from the mirror itself. I had no stars to test for any of these aberrations; maybe later on tonight if I get a viewing window I could narrow it down. Don't get the impression it's "mushy" at the edges. Anything but, and this is w/o a Paracorr. It's much sharper near the edges than a T4 Nagler w/o a Paracorr at f/4.9.

(4) I had no difficulty holding the exit pupil. The 20mm of eye relief is actually a tiny bit *too* much for my eyeglasses, but the adjustable housing makes for a quick fix. The exit pupil is a bit more difficult to hold than a Pentax XW or my 22LVW, but nowhere near as finicky as a 12T4 or 17T4.

(5) Um, in the world of hyper-wide 100- and 120-deg eyepieces, it's easy to forget that 72-deg AFOV is still a wide-angle eyepiece. It "feels" like more than 72-deg AFOV; maybe it's having plentiful eye relief that does that. I definitely felt a 17T4 had a larger AFOV than my old 13T6, even though they were both 82-deg AFOV.

Clear Skies,
Phil

coutleef
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/08

Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada
      #5685649 - 02/17/13 06:00 PM

Quote:

Between the clouds, I just got a very, very quick peek at the moon in the fading hours of day with the 14mm Delos in the 8" f/4.9.

First impressions:

(1) Very sharp on and off-axis. It's a Televue. In other shocking news, Lake Erie is moist.

(2) I'm grateful that the Orion 8" f/4.9 is a dual photo/visual instrument. These tend to require extension tubes to get most eyepieces to focus. Most. The 14mm Delos, though, requires significantly more infocus than the 10mm Delos, so I just took off the extension tube. I don't know the exact amount, but it's not a smidge; it's a lot. Definitely more infocus than a 30ES-82.

3. Slight softness near the extreme edge of the FOV (>97% out), manifesting itself in a tiny bit less detail in shadows around the craters and along the terminator. I don't know if it's a slight field curvature, off-axis astimgatism or--what I suspect--coma from the mirror itself. I had no stars to test for any of these aberrations; maybe later on tonight if I get a viewing window I could narrow it down. Don't get the impression it's "mushy" at the edges. Anything but, and this is w/o a Paracorr. It's much sharper near the edges than a T4 Nagler w/o a Paracorr at f/4.9.

(4) I had no difficulty holding the exit pupil. The 20mm of eye relief is actually a tiny bit *too* much for my eyeglasses, but the adjustable housing makes for a quick fix. The exit pupil is a bit more difficult to hold than a Pentax XW or my 22LVW, but nowhere near as finicky as a 12T4 or 17T4.

(5) Um, in the world of hyper-wide 100- and 120-deg eyepieces, it's easy to forget that 72-deg AFOV is still a wide-angle eyepiece. It "feels" like more than 72-deg AFOV; maybe it's having plentiful eye relief that does that. I definitely felt a 17T4 had a larger AFOV than my old 13T6, even though they were both 82-deg AFOV.

Clear Skies,
Phil

Sounds you will be satisfied with the Delos. Probably that what you saw is related to coma. I agree, 72 degrees is wide enough and very pleasant

Glad you found what you needed

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
Re: 14mm Delos just arrived! new [Re: coutleef]
      #5685746 - 02/17/13 06:58 PM

Great 1st light report, thanks for posting!
Glad that you like your Delos. The 6mm in the stall is definitely a keeper and it feels good owning one. It's the new kid on the block, w/shiniest new-tech coatings.

Best,

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: 14mm Delos just arrived! new [Re: ibase]
      #5685837 - 02/17/13 07:51 PM

Phil,

How long was the scope cooled for, etc? Just curious as it does have an effect on viewing, and eyepieces, etc.

Quote:

The exit pupil is a bit more difficult to hold than a Pentax XW or my 22LVW, but nowhere near as finicky as a 12T4 or 17T4.

I agree on holding the exit pupil on the Delos compared to the XW. To me the XW is a lot easier to hold and I leave the eye cups of my XW's in the full "down" position.....no problems doing that on the XW's.....I couldn't ever do that with the 6mm Delos I owned, which is now owned by Hernando.

Cheers,

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4156

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics