Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
garyp1936
sage

Reged: 06/30/10

Owl TMB Planetary Eyepieces
      #5748955 - 03/22/13 01:45 AM

Does anyone have any of the Owl "high resolution planetary" eyepieces which, in the web photo, are labeled "TMB optical"??? In particular, the 3.2mm. Does anyone recommend it (or any of the rest) for use in a 10" f4.7 reflector? Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Owl TMB Planetary Eyepieces new [Re: garyp1936]
      #5749481 - 03/22/13 11:18 AM

It's just a cloned TMB, same eyepiece. Works pretty good, but a 3.2mm will see little use except on perfect seeing nights. You'll probably only use it once or twice a year. But, at the cost, it is probably a good, affordable eyepiece that, on those good nights, will give you good on-axis performance. For the cost, not a bad idea.

rathbaster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/21/08

Loc: East Bridgewater, MA
Re: Owl TMB Planetary Eyepieces new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5749591 - 03/22/13 12:30 PM

Quote:

but a 3.2mm will see little use except on perfect seeing nights

It all depends on your scope.
A 3.2mm eyepiece gives you 150x in a short, 80mm F/6 refractor. Even on poor seeing nights the Moon can take that kind of magnification.

Doug Culbertson
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/06/05

Re: Owl TMB Planetary Eyepieces new [Re: rathbaster]
      #5749601 - 03/22/13 12:36 PM

I realize that I am probably in the minority, but I have never been impressed with the TMB Planetary eyepieces, especially on planets.

IMO, you would be better served to forgo the TMB clones and spend an extra $14 on Astro-Tech Paradigm Dual EDs from Astronomics. The shortest focal length that they have is 5mm, but how often do you need anything shorter? If you need higher power, use a decent quality barlow.

Edited by Doug Culbertson (03/22/13 12:37 PM)

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Owl TMB Planetary Eyepieces new [Re: Doug Culbertson]
      #5749607 - 03/22/13 12:42 PM

Doug,

Quote:

I realize that I am probably in the minority, but I have never been impressed with the TMB Planetary eyepieces, especially on planets.

IMO, you would be better served to forgo the TMB clones and spend an extra $14 on Astro-Tech Paradigm Dual EDs from Astronomics. The shortest focal length that they have is 5mm, but how often do you need anything shorter? If you need higher power, use a decent quality barlow.

We may be in the minority, but IMO we are a well-informed, experienced minority with discriminating eyes. I had a number of the TMB Planetaries from the different generations. I was unimpressed, to put it mildly. I eventually sold them all.

Yes, the Paradigms are much better eyepieces. I have binoviewer pairs of the 8 and 12mm.

Mike

cjc
sage

Reged: 10/15/10

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Re: Owl TMB Planetary Eyepieces new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5756178 - 03/25/13 01:08 PM

These are not manufactured to the same standard as the Astronomics version. If you are interested, I have written a review here: Four 4mm Planetary Eyepieces

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Owl TMB Planetary Eyepieces new [Re: cjc]
      #5756309 - 03/25/13 02:37 PM

Exactly which eyepieces are you talking about when you say "these"? Sorry, but I dislike ambiguous referents. Also, the link in your post is broken.

Mike

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5756331 - 03/25/13 02:50 PM

"These are not manufactured to the same standard as the Astronomics version."

Says who? Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, probably rolls of the same exact Chinese assembly line as the other ducks.

- Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (03/25/13 02:53 PM)

GOLGO13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: St. Louis area
Re: Owl TMB Planetary Eyepieces new [Re: Doug Culbertson]
      #5756454 - 03/25/13 03:37 PM

Quote:

I agree to an extent. I found they gave somewhat sharp images on planets (maybe not supersharp), but I got a lot of internal reflection or ghosting issues. Something to do with the design of them and not sure if they ever fixed those. Still, they were better eyepieces than some of the cheaper plossls I have used. I sold all of mine also.

Have not tried the paradigms but have heard good things about them.

planet earth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/07/10

Loc: Ontario Canada
Re: Owl TMB Planetary Eyepieces new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5756513 - 03/25/13 04:20 PM

Quote:

"These are not manufactured to the same standard as the Astronomics version."

Says who? Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, probably rolls of the same exact Chinese assembly line as the other ducks.

- Jim

I looked at the Owl site and noticed they were 5 element not 6.
Maybe a typo?
Sam
(Quack )

cjc
sage

Re: Owl TMB Planetary Eyepieces new [Re: planet earth]
      #5756518 - 03/25/13 04:25 PM

Apologies. Corrected link

walter david

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: PA
      #6039038 - 08/21/13 07:42 PM

What great review. Thanks.

I know this is an aged post but:

I'm in search for a new planetary for my Stellarvue 70 ED I'll be flying with to AZ this October. I have a TMB 6 mm I bought from Astronomics a year ago and was disappointed to see there are no more to select from there except for the one I have. I have really enjoyed this eyepiece.

Now looking at the Stellarvue 4.9mm. I really think that the 2.9 or 3mm will be of little use with my small f6 420 scope.

Lamb0
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/25/07

Loc: South Eastern(ish) Nebraska
Re: Owl TMB Planetary Eyepieces new [Re: walter david]
      #6039090 - 08/21/13 08:22 PM

IMHO, Your smaller 70mm f/6 ED is better able to utilize focal lengths in the 2.5mm to 3.5mm range (168x to 120x) as the primary limitation "seeing" more adversely affects larger scopes. YMWV

walter david

Re: Owl TMB Planetary Eyepieces new [Re: Lamb0]
      #6039157 - 08/21/13 09:02 PM

I thought 140 times mag for a 70 mm scope is pushing it. That you would need perfect conditions to see a clear image. So I figured I'd get an eyepiece that would give me less magnification; more useful on most nights.

I understand though that the larger the scope, the more it is subject to the atmospheric disturbances. So I guess I am asking, which is the more relevant factor; Not pushing a small scope to it's limits in resolution or having a smaller scope to better deal with atmospheric disturbances?

I want to spend money on an eyepiece that will be used and useful most of the time. Considering I have a 32 mm for wide field and 6 mm for 70X moderate magnification, I really am torn between the doubling of the 6mm or going just above that mag in a 4.9mm.

Lamb0
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/25/07

Loc: South Eastern(ish) Nebraska
      #6039366 - 08/21/13 11:33 PM

Quote:

I thought 140 times mag for a 70 mm scope is pushing it. That you would need perfect conditions to see a clear image.

The magnification allowed by "seeing" is irrespective of the size of the scope; though larger scopes have more difficulty with thermal issues. A small scope (70mm ~2.75") is far less likely to be limited by "seeing" than my 8" scope. I'm disappointed if ~120x-150x isn't available, 200x is fairly common... >300x OTOH

Have you considered a 2x Barlow? The 2X Barlow for 1.25" eyepieces by Explore Scientific appears to be a high quality choice worthy of an ED.

Edited by Lamb0 (08/21/13 11:40 PM)

walter david

Re: Owl TMB Planetary Eyepieces new [Re: Lamb0]
      #6039621 - 08/22/13 06:07 AM

Thanks! I not only considered this very Barlow but called Astronomics and he said; while barlows are good and "work", they add glass in the path and therefore darken the image slightly.

The Barlow idea, (and I do like the one you suggested) does give me in effect 13x, 26x, 70x and 140.

So I am torn on getting the barlow vs getting either a 3mm or Stellarvue sells the 4.9mm giving me 85X.

I will be in AZ with hopefully good skies but once back here in light polluted PA, I will want to have good use of whatever I drop my money on.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #6039638 - 08/22/13 06:38 AM

Quote:

Thanks! I not only considered this very Barlow but called Astronomics and he said; while barlows are good and "work", they add glass in the path and therefore darken the image slightly.

The Barlow idea, (and I do like the one you suggested) does give me in effect 13x, 26x, 70x and 140.

So I am torn on getting the barlow vs getting either a 3mm or Stellarvue sells the 4.9mm giving me 85X.

I will be in AZ with hopefully good skies but once back here in light polluted PA, I will want to have good use of whatever I drop my money on.

My thinking, my experience:

It is very unlikely that you could ever see the loss of light due to transmission losses. There is no doubt that a 2x Barlow dims the image, it's the result of increasing the magnification, the same thing happens with an eyepiece that doubles the magnification, the light is spread out over 4x the area, the image is 1/4 as bright.

The magnification of a Barlow is only approximate, it depends on the separation between the Barlow and the focal plane. For a 2 element lens, 96% transmission is a reasonably number, the image would be same brightness as an increase of 2% in the magnification.. 10% is the generally accepted limit of visible loss.

As far as the quality of the TMB eyepieces.. I also claim to have discriminating eyes, there are many who do, it's something that happens after many long nights viewing the night sky. I have a set of TMB Planetary eyepieces, I have a set of TeleVue Nagler eyepieces, both sets get frequent use.

The TMB Planetary eyepieces are not T-6 Naglers but they are good, solid eyepieces, they have a reasonable amount of eye relief, they are reasonably sharp off-axis even in a faster scope and will show just about everything the telescope brings to the focal plane. And they are under $50.

Jon

walter david

Re: Owl TMB Planetary Eyepieces new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6039706 - 08/22/13 08:18 AM

Well it's good to know you like the TMB planetary eyepieces. I do not have a lot of time behind the lens like you so I did my research on other people's experience on line before I bought the TMB from Astronomics last year. I have to say I really like it! But they seem to be no more.

So my choices will be limited to the Astro tech planetary 3mm or the Explore Scientific barlow or Stellavue's 4.9 mm planetary.

I may just get the Stellavue and combine shipping since I will be upgrading my sight to their aluminum non magnifying red dot sight.

I decided on the Stellarvue 70 Ed (no longer made) a few years back as a small grab and go set up that would also be easy to take on an airliner so this is my chance to take it to darker skies! I've been slowly upgrading things like mounts, diagonal, eyepieces and tripod over the years. I have many hobbies that take my time and $ so all my upgrades take time! But after four years I feel I have the set up I intended from the start.

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
Re: Owl TMB Planetary Eyepieces new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6039719 - 08/22/13 08:33 AM

I still have my "twin grip" TMB PIIs from Astronomics, and enjoy them regularly. I did a shootout (in a fast Newt and slow achro) between my TMBs and some Radians that I had and I could not justify the extra expense of the Radians. The Radians would appeal to the "fussiest" of observers, but for those of us in the trenches who work to survive, the TMBs are excellent eyepieces.

Bottom line: I sold the Radians.

walter david

Re: Owl TMB Planetary Eyepieces new [Re: hottr6]
      #6039731 - 08/22/13 08:44 AM

I REALLY wish I could buy a TMB from Astronomics but the only one they have is the one I got!

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #6040643 - 08/22/13 06:52 PM

To the "similar" eyepieces already listed, add the Olivon HD 58 degrees, and the Barsta 58 degrees. It looks like this design is becoming more widely distributed.

cjc
sage

Re: Owl TMB Planetary Eyepieces new [Re: Starman1]
      #6041226 - 08/23/13 04:32 AM

Indeed this series of eyepieces is sold under a number of names with (in the UK) Sky-Watcher now marketing some Planetary models. However it is perhaps worth restating that the eypieces from different suppliers, although largely to the same optical design, are not functionally identical. In particular some models lack the baffling thread on the barlow assembly or the internal barrel or the threading may be bright and so ineffective. There are two different optical designs for the 9mm. I also have examples where the lens coating is not consistent across eyepieces in the same range. They are largely being built to a price rather than an optical standard, I think

The model which had fewest issues was from Astronomics, but this range is no longer available, I understand.

E_Look
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: near New York
      #6046149 - 08/25/13 10:54 PM

I wonder if the authorized TMB Planetary series will be available again!

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Re: Owl TMB Planetary Eyepieces new [Re: E_Look]
      #6046375 - 08/26/13 03:47 AM

Buy something better. They are only good for door stops.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Owl TMB Planetary Eyepieces new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #6046423 - 08/26/13 05:09 AM

Quote:

The other night I was out with my new to me, 13.1 inch F/5.5 Starsplitter enjoying the night sky. I was using my TMB Planetary's, they did a good job, nice amount of eye relief.. quite nice images of Saturn, some nice splits... some nice views of globulars and open clusters.

Jon

E_Look
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: near New York
Re: Owl TMB Planetary Eyepieces new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #6050544 - 08/28/13 11:50 AM

Actually I have the whole series, not the version II's, and I quite enjoy using them. As Jon has alluded, the image is fairly sharp across the whole field and very good on axis. I don't get any of the glare, ghosting, etc. problems I've heard about. Even the one chrome-barreled version one, the 7 mm, a Burgess-TMB, is very good. I think there is a difference between the real things and the knock-offs.

Quote:

bogg

Reged: 11/17/09

Loc: Bruce County Ontario
Re: Owl TMB Planetary Eyepieces new [Re: E_Look]
      #6051468 - 08/28/13 08:43 PM

I have the whole series as well. They have been very good. I find that they work well with the Orion 110 mm. They do show a bit of CA when used in a TV Genisis. I have a Delos which does not show this. For the price they are hard to beat.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1826

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics