Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Brandon News new [Re: russell23]
      #5788597 - 04/09/13 04:13 PM

Russell, I always wondered where you are in "upstate ny" as I used to live south of Rochester and traveled for business in that area. That's how I met Don.

Bob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Brandon News new [Re: t.r.]
      #5788942 - 04/09/13 07:04 PM

Corning-OCA Applied Optics.

Ooops, was that microphone on?

Regards,

Jim

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Brandon News new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5789036 - 04/09/13 08:08 PM

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Brandon News new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5789052 - 04/09/13 08:15 PM

Nyet! But I'll give an A- for effort!

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5789270 - 04/09/13 10:35 PM

Whew! I'm glad. That's the outfit that used to be Perkin Elmer's applied optics group. You know, the ones who delivered a big mirror with a major TDE for a $1.5 billion space telescope?

Regards,

Jim

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #5789615 - 04/10/13 05:12 AM

Don told me last year that he was going to have to raise his prices because, and I quote, "Schott has almost doubled their price on glass". FWIW.

PS - I don't think this conflicts with anything anyone else has said.

scopeboy42
sage

Reged: 03/06/06

Loc: Garner, NC USA
Re: Brandon News new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5789927 - 04/10/13 10:19 AM

The updated Vernonscope website shows they are located in the same building as Southeastern Camera in Raleigh, NC.

It is about 3 miles from my office.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Re: Brandon News new [Re: scopeboy42]
      #5789953 - 04/10/13 10:37 AM

It is well known that an element of Schott is used in the lens stack. Don had no problem divulging that this glass type was used and discussed it with his customers when they inquired. Who actually made the lenses, was another story.

RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/02/09

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
      #5789971 - 04/10/13 10:42 AM

I am just SO thankful that I got a 50th anniversary set of black Brandons with the 6mm last year.

You can have them when you pry them from my cold, dead hands.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Brandon News new [Re: RodgerHouTex]
      #5790001 - 04/10/13 10:52 AM

I have the Brandons from 6mm to 32mm. I have two each of the 12mm and 16mm for binoviewer pairs. I've shied away from the 4mm and 48mm. Field reports of the 4mm are not so good, and the 48mm is just too long a focal length for my scopes.

I'd like to see the new owners produce a good Brandon 4mm!

Mike

RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/02/09

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
      #5790630 - 04/10/13 04:10 PM

Oh I forgot, I did spring for the 48mm and the Dakin barlow also.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Brandon News new [Re: RodgerHouTex]
      #5806675 - 04/18/13 01:12 PM

The eyepieces need US made parts because most of them are sold to the military. A few years ago Don told me that the only part he could not find in the USA was the rubber eye cup.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Brandon News new [Re: George N]
      #5806700 - 04/18/13 01:18 PM

Others may remember this better than I, but for many years Don would go to Stellafane (which does not allow commercial vendors) just to sit around at Hartness House ( web page ) with a display of for sale eyepieces, etc.

t.r.
Post Laureate

#5806709 - 04/18/13 01:20 PM

A modern 4mm would be a nice addition, although I don't want for anything now. The 6-32mm set with a Dakin pretty much covers all the bases.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5806905 - 04/18/13 03:20 PM

4mm to 48mm with a Dakin here. I'd love to have a modern 4mm. Mine is a Chester-built lens group in a Vernonscope housing. It's nice for the sake of "completeness" from a collector standpoint, but it ain't up to snuff optically compared to the Vernonscope glassed units.

As for having to manufacture in the USA because government agencies are buying, that kind of went out the window in the late 90s, early 2000s. It was causing agencies to overpay for basic goods (because they couldn't buy a better priced foreign-made alternative), and as budgets got crunched the Buy American Act weakened. NASA doesn't use Questars anymore, for example. They used Chinese made Celestron spotters like the C5 on shuttle missions instead. Also to earn the designation "Made in the USA" every component (and not even all major, important components) need to be made here. Televue refractors, for example, feature a "proudly made in the USA" sticker, but the optics, arguably the most important component, are manufactured by a company called Lenspro in Japan. I doubt that whoever is making Brandons is obligated to source every part from within the US in order to retain government business.

Regards,

Jim

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Brandon News new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5809712 - 04/19/13 10:08 PM

Quote:

4mm to 48mm with a Dakin here. I'd love to have a modern 4mm. Mine is a Chester-built lens group in a Vernonscope housing. It's nice for the sake of "completeness" from a collector standpoint, but it ain't up to snuff optically compared to the Vernonscope glassed units.

Ditto here. I've always wished Don had put out his own 4mm; but he said it was too hard to assemble the darned things, and the spacers were hard to get made correctly. My 4mm doesn't see much action anyway.

Quote:

As for having to manufacture in the USA because government agencies are buying, that kind of went out the window in the late 90s, early 2000s. It was causing agencies to overpay for basic goods (because they couldn't buy a better priced foreign-made alternative), and as budgets got crunched the Buy American Act weakened. NASA doesn't use Questars anymore, for example. They used Chinese made Celestron spotters like the C5 on shuttle missions instead. Also to earn the designation "Made in the USA" every component (and not even all major, important components) need to be made here. Televue refractors, for example, feature a "proudly made in the USA" sticker, but the optics, arguably the most important component, are manufactured by a company called Lenspro in Japan. I doubt that whoever is making Brandons is obligated to source every part from within the US in order to retain government business.

But Don has always made it a principle that the Brandons be entirely a product of the USA. I don't know about the rubber eye cups; but a lot of folks like the cupless models anyway.

And, again, I don't think Don is closing shop; just selling the Brandon part. I wonder if the new owners will continue putting out those superb diagonals and binoviewers?

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Brandon News new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5830878 - 04/29/13 06:32 PM

Quote:

And, again, I don't think Don is closing shop; just selling the Brandon part. I wonder if the new owners will continue putting out those superb diagonals and binoviewers?

The former VERNONscope ‘yellow building’ in Candor NY is emptied out, with signs removed. At NEAF Don was at the ‘Yeier Optics’ booth selling antique stuff, while the new owners were in the ‘VERNONscope’ booth, with *all* current VERNONscope products on display. Don recently (last week or so) told a mutual friend that he was interested in buying/selling used VERNONscope products, including Brandon eyepieces. Other than that, it seems to me that very soon Yeier will have severed all connection with VERNONscope and its products.

Ed Kessler
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/17/06

Loc: Millersburg, PA
      #5831016 - 04/29/13 08:13 PM

I picked up two complete sets, a 6mm and a binoviewer this winter.

Smart me!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3462

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics