Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

Re: 1'st look Leica 17.8-8.9mm ASPH Zoom new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5791399 - 04/10/13 10:04 PM

Quote:

Comparing the Leica vs the Brandon 8, 12 and 16mm proved to be no comparison. Sunspot group 1711 and 1718 were unbelievable, detail and contrast amazing. At 8.9 mm the Leica image was bright, contrasty with easy eye relief, while the 8mm Brandon was less so on all counts.

Quote:

The Leica vs Brandon 8/12/16 mm comparsion, the Leica presented an estimated 20% more nebulosity.

Wow! Thats a lot more nebulosity. I know there are a lot of Brandon lovers out there... can anyone confirm these comparisons? Not that I dont believe them, I totally do, but I wonder if anyone has had a different perception while comparing? Because 20% is really a lot, and brighter, and more contrasty... one cannot help but get extremely interested when reading a review like that! Especially as the Brandons really have such a great rep. Head to head the Leicas are that much better?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: 1'st look Leica 17.8-8.9mm ASPH Zoom new [Re: mark8888]
      #5791905 - 04/11/13 08:34 AM

I believe the best way to describe it is that simply, the Leica has better transmission. How that translates to various objects, depends on the object being viewed. Personally, I wouldn't go as high as a 20% difference, but it is detectable and thus a difference. There is two things that the Brandon does differently however that I view as merits worth keeping them. The sky background is darker (for whatever reason, and it is debated to death here, but it works to add contrast) and the colors or stars, planets and moon seem better to my eye. The Leica view is "cooler" in comparison. For me, they compliment each other and both will remain in my arsenal for life! I couldnot give up one for the other.

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Re: 1'st look Leica 17.8-8.9mm ASPH Zoom new [Re: t.r.]
      #5791971 - 04/11/13 09:19 AM

Quote:

I believe the best way to describe it is that simply, the Leica has better transmission. How that translates to various objects, depends on the object being viewed. Personally, I wouldn't go as high as a 20% difference, but it is detectable and thus a difference. There is two things that the Brandon does differently however that I view as merits worth keeping them. The sky background is darker (for whatever reason, and it is debated to death here, but it works to add contrast) and the colors or stars, planets and moon seem better to my eye. The Leica view is "cooler" in comparison. For me, they compliment each other and both will remain in my arsenal for life! I couldnot give up one for the other.

Thanks, thats a great answer. It really explains why one would want to have and keep both eyepieces. As it happens, I picked up a pair of 16mm Brandon flat tops a couple of months ago (good timing perhaps?), but wont be able to try them out for another few weeks. So I'm glad to hear that theyre still very much worth having, even in comparison to such great eyepieces!

As for the Leicas, FWIW, they sound very tempting. It seems that virtually everyone who uses them really loves them. That reminds me of another "exotic" eyepiece I've read a thread or two about... I wonder if anyone reading this has used both the Leica ASPH Zooms and the 12.5 Docter UWAs and could kind of compare them? Theyre also large, obviously have great optics, and get completely over the top fantastic write ups. Actually I think they are also offered by APM? So that would be another similarity. I know its a little bit apples and oranges, but as far as clarity, transmission, contrast go, when the Leica is used at a similar focal length as the 12.5 UWA, I'm curious. Of course, unfortunately none of these eyepieces are cheap. But at least fun to consider.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5791984 - 04/11/13 09:25 AM

Yep, a CN'er named Tamiji Homma has done that comparison. PM him...

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Re: 1'st look Leica 17.8-8.9mm ASPH Zoom new [Re: t.r.]
      #5792013 - 04/11/13 09:49 AM

OO I havent seen that, thanks I will.

Tamiji Homma
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: California, USA
      #5792206 - 04/11/13 11:57 AM

Hi Michael,

For binoviewer use, I like Docter UWA 12.5 better than Leica ASPH Zoom.

For cyclops mode, you find very little difference beyond AFOV at 12.5mm for night sky. I think Docter has a little better edge performance than Leica.

I notice Docter has yellow-ish tint during daytime use but nothing major. Leica has more pleasant color rendering in general for daytime use.

What Docter excels is to give you more immersive feel in binoviewer. So far, nothing beats Docter in the category among eyepieces that I've tried.

Tammy

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Re: 1'st look Leica 17.8-8.9mm ASPH Zoom new [Re: Tamiji Homma]
      #5792222 - 04/11/13 12:05 PM

Thanks so much Tammy for your amazing advice, as always. I'd be using them exclusively for binoviewer use, so it's good to hear this. The Docter dream remains alive and well, then.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
26 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1183

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics