Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Best planetary EPs being made today... new [Re: t.r.]
      #5945396 - 06/28/13 07:06 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know what TMB Supermonocentrics are available from Markus currently? I saw an ad a few days ago announcing a new run of focal lengths but it is gone now. I'm thinking I should pick up one pair of these for the binoviewer.

A few months ago, he opened up the line, took orders, and then closed out the batch. He hopes to be shipping in July. I don't believe any can be ordered at this time.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: Best planetary EPs being made today... new [Re: jpcannavo]
      #5945408 - 06/28/13 07:14 PM

Quote:

John
I have heard this about the XWs over and over again. I since wondered how the TV Delos stack up against them.
Joe

It's essentially a toss up. I own one Pentax XW and now three Delos eyepieces and like them equally.

Dave Mitsky

leonard
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/19/07

Loc: West Virginia
Re: Best planetary EPs being made today... new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5945670 - 06/28/13 09:51 PM

Hello ,

Thank You Thomas , I think I remember you posting this information but I forgot about it .

Leonard

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
Re: Best planetary EPs being made today... new [Re: leonard]
      #5945719 - 06/28/13 10:20 PM

Forgot about Meade RGO's the 10.5 and 7 are superb. the 10.5 is my sharpest EP in that range. Don't have a 7mm at the moment. it was a great planetary EP way back when.

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
Re: Best planetary EPs being made today... new [Re: jpcannavo]
      #5945737 - 06/28/13 10:34 PM

Quote:

John
I have heard this about the XWs over and over again. I since wondered how the TV Delos stack up against them.
Joe

Many reports have it that it's a wash between the Pentax XW and Delos. I've traded my XW-7mm for a Delos 6mm and couldn't be any happier with the Delos. From my recollection of the XW's performance, both EP's were equally excellent but to my eyes the Delos was less prone to beaning with eyecups fully retracted. There is probably more leeway for head room movements in the Delos before triggering the bean as compared to the XW, but that's just my opinion.

If one owns a Pentax, keep it. But how about those who are deciding between the Pentax & Delos? My take is go for the Delos, the state-of-the-art in EP design and implementation to date with the most modern coatings from one of the best EP co. around (TeleVue).

On a side-note, one deep sky observer who is well-regarded in the forum has the Delos besting the Pentax in detecting faint objects on the big scopes, click here and here (w/graph) to view forum posts.

With regards to the best planetary EPs and still made today, here's my list (and the one's I currently own):

- Baader Classic Orthos (BCO)
- Delos
- TV plossls
- Nagler T6
- Brandon
- University Optics HD (very recently re-introduced)

Best,

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Best planetary EPs being made today... new [Re: tomharri]
      #5945777 - 06/28/13 11:02 PM

I've heard fantastic things about Siebert consistently . I want to get the ball lenses. In fact aside from your remark Ive never heard of a bad Siebert.

Pete

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: Best planetary EPs being made today... new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5945813 - 06/28/13 11:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Inevitably, some respected observers, will comment that all modern eyepieces are equal in on-axis performance.

That is absolutely not true, in my experience.

I wish that were true. We all have different eyes, so that probably the issue why some can and can't see any differences. FWIW the acuity of my eyes was 20/10 for most of my life, now down to 20/15. I keep waiting for my eyes to no longer see a difference between my ZAO/XO and Heavy Glass EPs on-axis so I can sell all those specialized planetaries and buy a new telescope!!

george tatsis
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/20/08

Loc: Long Island, NY - Europe
Re: Best planetary EPs being made today... new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5945815 - 06/28/13 11:25 PM

Quote:

Now you'll have me looking for a used NLV 4mm!

Mike

Hi Mike,

It all started a few months ago when out of curiosity ( I'm the dead cat by the way) bought a used NLV to verify the findings of this thread :

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/177718-eyepiece-review-televue-radian-v-vix...

Since then I have bought both the 6mm and the 5mm NLVs as well.Lateral color is more evident in the NLVs than it is in the Radians during daytime observing. At night, for some reason, it is hardly visible in my 10" reflector.

The NLVs are as sharp as most high quality planetary eyepieces out there , save your XO 5mm though!

George

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
Re: Best planetary EPs being made today... new [Re: george tatsis]
      #5945890 - 06/29/13 01:34 AM

Quote:

The NLVs are as sharp as most high quality planetary eyepieces out there

All I can say is that the 4mm NLV that I got used a few weeks ago is great max mag eyepiece for my 80ED. Have yet to try it in my 10"

Eric

jpcannavo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/21/05

Loc: Ex NYCer, Now in Denver CO!
Re: Best planetary EPs being made today... new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5945984 - 06/29/13 04:13 AM

Quote:

I've heard fantastic things about Siebert consistently . I want to get the ball lenses. In fact aside from your remark Ive never heard of a bad Siebert.

Pete

Would still love to understand this...

Richard Low
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/27/05

Re: Best planetary EPs being made today... new [Re: BillP]
      #5946487 - 06/29/13 12:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Inevitably, some respected observers, will comment that all modern eyepieces are equal in on-axis performance.

That is absolutely not true, in my experience.

I wish that were true. We all have different eyes, so that probably the issue why some can and can't see any differences. FWIW the acuity of my eyes was 20/10 for most of my life, now down to 20/15. I keep waiting for my eyes to no longer see a difference between my ZAO/XO and Heavy Glass EPs on-axis so I can sell all those specialized planetaries and buy a new telescope!!

My eyes are not so good, though I'm still able to discern difference in performance between ZAO-IIs and Supermonos. How I wish too that I cant tell the difference...

Put aside the orthos and plossls, XWs and Brandons, one of the best planetary eyepiece still in production is the amazing Leica ASPH zoom....

SkyRanger

Reged: 10/21/10

Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ
Re: Best planetary EPs being made today... new [Re: Richard Low]
      #5946625 - 06/29/13 01:47 PM

While I have not tried most of the minimilist EPs mentioned here, I have had some of my best planetary views through my old "smoothie" TV Plossls with a 2.5X Powermate. The 17 smoothie is one of my favorites.

Gordon

cw00

Reged: 08/16/11

Loc: La Mesa, CA
Re: Best planetary EPs being made today... new [Re: SkyRanger]
      #5946706 - 06/29/13 02:49 PM

Second that, Richard.
I think the Leica zoom is as sharp as Pentax XO, XW, and Delos.
So when I travel, 31 Nagler, Leica Zoom, Baader VIP barlow will cover everything I need regardless of the target.

RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/02/09

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Re: Best planetary EPs being made today... new [Re: tomharri]
      #5947064 - 06/29/13 07:17 PM

Clearly the Zeiss Ortho IIs aren't that special. Every time someone has a favorite eyepiece it's as good as the ZAO IIs.

nevy
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/07/12

Loc: UK
Re: Best planetary EPs being made today... new [Re: RodgerHouTex]
      #5947167 - 06/29/13 08:48 PM

Yeh bin em.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
      #5947182 - 06/29/13 09:00 PM

Quote:

Clearly the Zeiss Ortho IIs aren't that special. Every time someone has a favorite eyepiece it's as good as the ZAO IIs.

Hmmm... I think you've got a point there.

Mike

Ebbisham

Reged: 10/02/10

Loc: Surrey, Uk
Re: Best planetary EPs being made today... new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5947522 - 06/30/13 03:51 AM

Just to ad another option here, to my eyes, my Baader Maxbright bino with a pair of Tv plossl gives me significant better views than my Leica ASPH 17.8-8.9 zoom (which got good reviews here), so it is my choice for planetary views. My eyes seems to be that bad that i struggled to see the Casini division clearly last month in mono view at 100x. With the bino is was there nice and clear.

Edited by Ebbisham (06/30/13 03:52 AM)

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
      #5947525 - 06/30/13 03:53 AM

Quote:

Good point. This could possibly say a lot about either:

a) the observer's eyesight

b) his telescope

c) his eyepiece

d) his seeing conditions

e) all four

f) none of the above, but something I've not thought of

Take your pick. Sometimes, it's just too hard to sort all the variables out and you just have to go with your gut feeling.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
      #5947650 - 06/30/13 08:12 AM

Quote:

I think it's easy enough to find the opposite as well. So you will find many who think otherwise. Regardless, whatever works best, or as good, for each individuals eyes and scope is what is best. For me though, ZAO does best on axis.

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
Re: Best planetary EPs being made today... new [Re: BillP]
      #5947660 - 06/30/13 08:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I think it's easy enough to find the opposite as well. So you will find many who think otherwise. Regardless, whatever works best, or as good, for each individuals eyes and scope is what is best. For me though, ZAO does best on axis.

Agreed -- and I think Rodger's post was somewhat 'tongue-in-cheek', too.

I'm sorry to say that nothing made today is better than my ZAO-II, CZJ, or A-P SPL collections. The BGO were very nice, but are no longer produced, either. The Pentax XW series and Leica ASPH zoom also come close. The biggest advantage I saw with the Leica was its ability to "fill in the gap" of magnifications.

YMMV,

Ron

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4623

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics