Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
vahe
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/27/05

Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: Takahashi Abbe series new [Re: Nuphy]
      #6263243 - 12/20/13 09:12 AM

Quote:

For what it's worth, I compared the 32 mm Brandon (50th anni version) and the 32 mm Tak Abbe in a Tak FS-60Q (real quick, though).
The eye placement with the Tak was very easy, while I had more difficulties with my Brandon.

Aside from eye placement, how do the 32 Brandons compare the 32 Tak Abbe in scatter department?

Vahe

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Andy Howie
sage

Reged: 09/10/05

Loc: Paisley, Scotland
Re: Takahashi Abbe series new [Re: Binomania.it]
      #6263453 - 12/20/13 10:49 AM

Quote:

Hi to all yesterday i've received all the focals (Except the 25mm). Now, in Italy is raining. I hope to test its the next week. You can see some photos, here: http://www.astrotest.it/preview-fotografica-oculari-takahashi-ortho-abbe/ with comparison of other Eyepieces. Best Regards from Italy
Piergiovanni

Oooooh !!!!!

Great pics on your website.

I wish you clear skies.

Andy.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Takahashi Abbe series new [Re: Andy Howie]
      #6263601 - 12/20/13 12:06 PM

You can also have too much eye relief....the Televue 40mm plossl is a good example. I can practially sit on the deck and drink a cup of coffee and see the view from across the yard...when you find that right "spot" though, it's a tack sharp eyepiece....

george golitzin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/24/06

#6263865 - 12/20/13 02:28 PM

I look forward to your upcoming report on these eyepieces, Piergiovanni. Thanks for the link to your site.

-george

WilRobinson
sage

Reged: 02/04/08

Loc: Near the cloud machine
Re: Takahashi Abbe series new [Re: george golitzin]
      #6272106 - 12/25/13 12:21 PM

My 6mm showed up for Christmas, My 18mm showed up a few weeks ago but I haven't used it yet, we've either been socked in with heavy clouds or its been sub zero cold. I hope to use them sometime before spring but who knows.

Binomania.it

Reged: 05/20/10

Loc: North Italy
Re: Takahashi Abbe series new [Re: WilRobinson]
      #6272210 - 12/25/13 01:21 PM

Hello everyone, unfortunately here in Italy is continuing to rain

Binomania.it

#6309536 - 01/13/14 03:54 AM

Good Morning to Everybody. I hope that you understand my poor English.:-)
Last night (finally) I had the chance to use the new Takahashi Abbe’s.
As usual, I ‘ve observed with my Takahashi FS 128 , both in direct vision and with the use of a Takahashi 31.8mm prism.
I've done several tests, comparing different focal lengths of different eyepieces: Baader Genuine Ortho , Takahashi LE , Circle-T and TMB MONOCENTRIC .
Observing the moon , honestly , thanks to the great contrast provided by our satellite, I have not noticed huge differences that I did lean towards one eyepieces over the other. To be picky rhymes Gassendi was more distinct in the TMB Super Mono even if the field of view provided was “suffocating” 
In this kind of visions I prefer a good field of view and a great comfort, for these reasons , I liked the performance of the old Tahahashi LE. Quite similar the new Takahashi Ortho and the Baader Genuine Ortho. . However, the new Abbe Japanese, in my humble opinion, seem to provide a more neutral tone and less scattered light
Very different , however , my impressions during the observation of Jupiter with various 6mm eyepieces .
The TMB monocentric it is detected, even if briefly, the best of the lot, with sharp images and very little scattered light . In second place was the new Orthoscopic Takahashi Abbe that proved slightly sharper , contrasted with less diffused light and with a more neutral tone than the Baader Genuine Ortho . I was quite impressed of the vision of GRS provided by the new Orthoscopic Takahashi . I have tried several times to change the eyepiece and refocus ,but the substance has not changed . The performances of the new Abbe Takahashi is closer to the mythical TMB monocentric that the Baader Genuine Ortho and T -CIRCLE . The old Takahashi LE, in this type of observation, did not reach the sharpness of the new ABBE .
Probably my impressions may change if you were using a telescope with obstruction. I may give another comparison with my old Mak Meade 7.
Regarding the ergonomy ,the new Taka Abbe are more similar to the mythical Takahashi LE than the classic Ortho.
The lens hood allows a great comfort and also avoids to fogging the eyepiece.
In summary .
Sharpness: I place TMB Monocentric, II place Takahashi ABBE II , III place BGO , IV place -Circle T , V place Takahashi LE
Containment of reflexes: T I Place TMB Monocentric , II place Takahashi ABBEI , III place BGO , IV place Circle T , V place Takahashi LE
[Ergonomics (construction, ease of use , resistance to fogging : I place Takahashi LE, II place Takahashi Abbe , III place T -Circle III , IV place TMB Monocentric , V place Baader Genuine Ortho.
Best Regards from Italy

fjs
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/25/13

Loc: Olympic Peninsula, USA
      #6309545 - 01/13/14 04:26 AM

Thanks for the report Piergiovanni,

I'll be getting the Tak' Ortho's for sure now.

I found it easy enough to understand.

Quote:

Containment of reflexes: T I Place TMB Monocentric , II place Takahashi ABBEI , III place BGO , IV place Circle T , V place Takahashi LE

I'm sure you meant 'Containment of reflections' here.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Takahashi Abbe series new [Re: fjs]
      #6309749 - 01/13/14 08:43 AM

I donno...I'd find it hard to not jump up and down looking thru a TMB Mono too........

Mariner@sg
sage

Reged: 06/28/12

Loc: Little Red Dot
Re: Takahashi Abbe series new [Re: fjs]
      #6309750 - 01/13/14 08:43 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the report Piergiovanni,

I'll be getting the Tak' Ortho's for sure now.

I found it easy enough to understand.

Quote:

I'm sure you meant 'Containment of reflections' here.

I'm guessing scatter?

Binomania.it

Re: Takahashi Abbe series new [Re: csrlice12]
      #6309870 - 01/13/14 09:52 AM

Yes, excuse me, you are right!

blackhaz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/20/06

Loc: Prague, Czech Republic
      #6310016 - 01/13/14 11:04 AM

Sorry if bit an off-topic but does BGO have a warm tint indeed? I am surprised the new Tak Abbe is cooler. I always thought all Baader stuff was neutral. Never looked through BGO though...

I'm thinking whether it makes sense to replace my 18mm BCO with the new Tak Abbe... I compared it briefly with 21.5mm RKE and found RKE having less scatter (compared both in Mark V), but perhaps that was due to the FL difference... Hmm...

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
      #6310077 - 01/13/14 11:33 AM

Quote:

Observing the moon ... I have not noticed huge differences .... To be picky rhymes Gassendi was more distinct in the TMB Super Mono even if the field of view provided was “suffocating”... However, the new Abbe Japanese, in my humble opinion, seem to provide a more neutral tone and less scattered light.

...during the observation of Jupiter .... The TMB monocentric ..., the best of the lot, with sharp images and very little scattered light . In second place was the new Orthoscopic Takahashi Abbe that proved slightly sharper , contrasted with less diffused light and with a more neutral tone than the Baader Genuine Ortho . I was quite impressed of the vision of GRS provided by the new Orthoscopic Takahashi ....The performances of the new Abbe Takahashi is closer to the mythical TMB monocentric that the Baader Genuine Ortho and T -CIRCLE .

Piergiovanni,

Thanks for the great report...and for choosing some of the best optics (FS128) to test them with Nice to finally have some hard details on how these various Abbes compare

Binomania.it

Re: Takahashi Abbe series new [Re: BillP]
      #6310126 - 01/13/14 11:58 AM

Hi. I use Abbe Zeiss for "neutral comparison" So the BGO are more warm respect the Abbe Zeiss but less warm respect the old circle-T. New Taka Abbe seems to me to present a slightly more neutral tint compared to BGO. Obviously using FS 128. Ie hope to give you more information during the next week..Now is snowing :-(

Binomania.it

#6310130 - 01/13/14 12:00 PM Attachment (27 downloads)

Thanks for the comments, Bill

Edited by Binomania.it (01/13/14 12:10 PM)

george golitzin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/24/06

#6310495 - 01/13/14 03:19 PM

I'd also like to thank you, Piergiovanni, for the helpful report. I look forward to trying out these eyepieces soon.

-George

blackhaz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/20/06

Loc: Prague, Czech Republic
Re: Takahashi Abbe series new [Re: george golitzin]
      #6310498 - 01/13/14 03:25 PM

Grazie mille, Piergiovanni!

oldjet

Reged: 01/29/11

#6311204 - 01/13/14 09:45 PM

Thanks for the report Piergiovanni. I've been anticipating this TAK ABBE first light since you've announced it last December.

The sparse reports available on these are encouraging. There is reasonable reason to believe that all current abbe orthos are coming out of the same Japanese factory (deduced from statements on University Optics' homepage), but I suspect that Takahashi may be discriminating theirs (from UO, Fujiyama or Hutech) by meeting higher polish or coating criteria - maybe. Or maybe I'm just deriving too many conclusions based on too few data points..

RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/02/09

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Re: Takahashi Abbe series new [Re: oldjet]
      #6311903 - 01/14/14 09:56 AM

I took my 6mm Tak Ortho out Saturday night and used it with my TSA-102 and my new Tak 1 1/4 prism diagonal and the detail on Jupiter's disk was unbelievable. It looked like a Hubble picture from a distance. I could even see Syrtis Major on Mars, even though it's still really small. Scatter around Jupiter's disk was on a par with my Pentax 5 XO.

Later I used my 9mm Tak Ortho also. Scatter in it was a little worse than a Zeiss Jena 10mm I have.

One other thing of note - with Jupiter just outside the field of both eyepieces there was a reflection off the inside of the eyepiece. I've never really checked but I think my other eyepieces do that also. The interior surfaces of the Tak orthos looks to be flat black, so I'm not sure what was causing it.

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
      #6312081 - 01/14/14 11:18 AM

Thanks for an excellent mini-review, Piergiovanni.

I was going to order a pair of 32mm's for my binoviewer right after reading your review, so I found some at Intercon Spacetek in Germany. 189 euros a pop. Ouch. I just can't afford that right now, so I'll keep using my 40mm TS Easyviews a while longer, maybe getting the 32mm Easyviews sometimes this summer.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12397

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics