Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
payner
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/07

Loc: Bluegrass Region, Kentucky
Re: Takahashi Abbe series new [Re: edif300]
      #5979898 - 07/19/13 02:12 PM

And the build and cosmetics look like typical Takahashi quality. I've long said my set of Tak LEs are the best built eyepieces I've owned/used, and they're pretty good through the field lens. Good for them and it'll be interesting how these compare to the UO, ZAO, Baader, etc.

Best
Randy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobia, Maryland, USA
Re: Takahashi Abbe series new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #5979908 - 07/19/13 02:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

32mm Ortho? That is unusual. Not sure if I'd go for that.

You might be pleasantly surprised. I have a 32 Brandon and a 31 Nagler. At that focal length the Nagler gets about 80% of the focuser time due to field/navigation considerations. But the 32 Brandon gives me a noticeably sharper and contrasty view. Although you wouldn't think it, Milky Way fields are actually better - just quite a bit smaller.

I have a Brandon 32mm but hardly ever use it. In my 10" f/4.8 Dob, I like the view better through my ES 82 30 or Titan-II 40, especially in the Paracorr. Lately I've been taking those two to the dark site, but leaving my Brandons home. Now I use the Brandons mostly for planet/lunar or bright DSO viewing with my smaller grab-n-go scopes at home.

Mike

Simoes Pedro
sage

Reged: 02/03/09

Re: Takahashi Abbe series new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5979921 - 07/19/13 02:25 PM

Funny, no one noticed ZAO I had a 32 as well.

Sgt
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/17/05

Loc: Under the southern horn of the...
Re: Takahashi Abbe series new [Re: Simoes Pedro]
      #5979992 - 07/19/13 03:12 PM

It's a 34mm, the ZAO I.

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
      #5980018 - 07/19/13 03:28 PM

Quote:

I have a Brandon 32mm but hardly ever use it. In my 10" f/4.8 Dob

I understand this perfectly, but I think that a pair of 32mm orthos is going to be a godsend for those who binoview with long focal ratio scopes. The price certainly isn't bad and if the new 32mm Tak orthos are as good as my 25mm Zeiss'es, I need a pair for when I do solar binoviewing on the 85mm f/19 Zeiss and the seeing is a little iffy.

It's certainly awesome and interesting news. Especially in this build quality and very acceptable price point. Finally, the planetary enthusiasts and optics fanatics have something new in the ortho class to rave about again.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Takahashi Abbe series new [Re: Tamiji Homma]
      #5980158 - 07/19/13 04:50 PM

Quote:

I wonder if they are made by this company?

http://ohi-optical.co.jp/base.html

Tammy

Good catch.
Is this what became of Masuyama?

Tamiji Homma
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: California, USA
Re: Takahashi Abbe series new [Re: Starman1]
      #5980180 - 07/19/13 05:02 PM

Hi Don,

The founder and president of the company is Mr. Masuyama.

Yes, Masuyama series are from the company as far as I know...

I don't know what other brand eyepieces are from them. Takahashi LE, UW, ... maybe

Tammy

Edited by Tamiji Homma (07/20/13 12:21 PM)

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: Takahashi Abbe series new [Re: Scott99]
      #5980198 - 07/19/13 05:09 PM

Quote:

this is great news! If the quality is good, the 32mm is sure to be popular. People are paying crazy amounts for 34-35mm premium orthos and plossls to complete their ZAO sets.

If I got the correct exchange rate, it's looking like $110 per eyepiece. Hard to say if that is "reasonable" without knowing the quality level.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobia, Maryland, USA
Re: Takahashi Abbe series new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5980506 - 07/19/13 09:15 PM

Thomas,

Quote:

Quote:

I have a Brandon 32mm but hardly ever use it. In my 10" f/4.8 Dob

I understand this perfectly, but I think that a pair of 32mm orthos is going to be a godsend for those who binoview with long focal ratio scopes. The price certainly isn't bad and if the new 32mm Tak orthos are as good as my 25mm Zeiss'es, I need a pair for when I do solar binoviewing on the 85mm f/19 Zeiss and the seeing is a little iffy.

Yes, and I understand that completely. If I had an 8" or larger SCT or Mak, or at least a 3" slow refractor, I'd probably go for a pair of Tak Ortho 32's, too! This is also why I never bothered to pick up a Brandon 48. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to get a Tak 32 for my C6...

Quote:

It's certainly awesome and interesting news. Especially in this build quality and very acceptable price point. Finally, the planetary enthusiasts and optics fanatics have something new in the ortho class to rave about again.

Yessir, it looks like reports of the death of the simple glass eyepiece have been greatly exaggerated.

Mike

Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
      #5981348 - 07/20/13 12:18 PM

I think the people seeking the 34mm ZAO I (or a suitable stand-in) have big Maks or refractors and want to fine-tune their planetary magnifications.

Or for bino-viewing, a lot people like to barlow-up the magnification and use bigger eyepieces at high power. The eye relief is definitely more comfortable.

It looks like Tak thinks people will prefer the LE series at 4mm and 5mm. Did the old series go down to 4mm, or did they use the 4mm hi-ortho? I agree, they always do a good job with their eyepiece designs, good eyecups, etc. no safety groove on these either

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: Takahashi Abbe series new [Re: Scott99]
      #5981379 - 07/20/13 12:33 PM

Quote:

No safety groove on these either

Yay! I did notice this as one of the first things, but forgot to comment on it earlier.

Safety grooves are a bloody nightmare in a binoviewer, often causing the eyepieces to sit a little obliquely in the holders. Or get caught by the compression ring.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Edited by Astrojensen (07/20/13 12:34 PM)

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: Takahashi Abbe series [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5981729 - 07/20/13 05:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No safety groove on these either

Yay! I did notice this as one of the first things, but forgot to comment on it earlier.

Safety grooves are a bloody nightmare in a binoviewer, often causing the eyepieces to sit a little obliquely in the holders. Or get caught by the compression ring.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

There not very great in my focusers or star diagonals either. A solution in desperate search of a problem.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Takahashi Abbe series [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #5981800 - 07/20/13 06:25 PM

The problem with safety grooves is, they are not remotely compatible. I have many scopes, binos, accessories and many eyepieces with safety grooves and none of them are the same width or the same distance from the shoulder, it's a complete mishmash.

suburbanskies
sage

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Re: Takahashi Abbe series [Re: Tamiji Homma]
      #5994712 - 07/28/13 01:00 PM

Quote:

I wonder if they are made by this company?

http://ohi-optical.co.jp/base.html

Tammy

Could be.

Anyone try the new Fujiyama HD orthos sold by Kokusai Kohki? KK says that the maker is in the Tokyo area and the specs seem to match the Ohi Optical specs. I wonder if Takahashi is using the same optics by Ohi? The price point is the same for the Takahashi and the Kokusai Kohki eyepieces.

In any case, it is great to have these options. And NO undercut!

Mark

dscarpa
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/15/08

Loc: San Diego Ca.
Re: Takahashi Abbe series [Re: edif300]
      #5994774 - 07/28/13 01:48 PM

At those prices if the quality is up to Tak standards count me in! David

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Switzerland
Re: Takahashi Abbe series [Re: dscarpa]
      #5994798 - 07/28/13 02:05 PM

No word on ED-glass used in the new Abbe series. At the announced retail prices, I would not expect to see ZAO-II quality level, but good "standard grade" e.p.'s.

Stephan

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Takahashi Abbe series [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #6002671 - 08/02/13 07:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

this is great news! If the quality is good, the 32mm is sure to be popular. People are paying crazy amounts for 34-35mm premium orthos and plossls to complete their ZAO sets.

If I got the correct exchange rate, it's looking like $110 per eyepiece. Hard to say if that is "reasonable" without knowing the quality level.

ATWB has them listed now for $153 US. I'm hoping that Astronomics will offer these, I'd like to compare them to my Brandons.

Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
Re: Takahashi Abbe series [Re: t.r.]
      #6003236 - 08/02/13 01:50 PM

interesting, $153 and up for the longer ones, I wonder if these are minimum allowed prices or if other vendors will go lower.

I wonder how the optics will compare to something like the Pentax SMC orthos. It will definitely be nice to get these in regular 1.25 inch barrels with good eyeguards, unlike the prior Tak and Pentax .965 orthos.

The inevitable comparison will be with the new UO HD orthos. It looks like the Tak bodies will be better, will be interesting to test the optics. I'm not a big fan of paying jacked-up prices for used equipment, I think it's just great that we have two good options now, there is no reason to pay hundreds for a good ortho.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Takahashi Abbe series [Re: t.r.]
      #6003294 - 08/02/13 02:32 PM

Does Televue really need to be listening? Why would you want an Orthoscopic over one of their Plossls, really? The Plossl has a larger AFOV, is better corrected (Televue's design anyway) for fast scopes, and is competitively priced with the returned HD offering. It was Televue's Plossl, after all, that nearly relegated the commercial Orthoscopic to the dustbin of history in the first place. Recall that when Televue dropped the P-bomb, every other eyepiece seller scrambled to offer a Plossl variant (Vixen, Meade, Celestron, etc.) pretty much ending Orthoscopic offerings from those companies.

I think Orthoscopics, like many things retro, are enjoying a "faddish" renewal that will be temporary. The Introduction several years ago of the ZAO II limited run instilled in the hearts of many observers a longing to have a quality Orthoscopic at a price less than several hundreds of dollars a pop.

We're midway through that trend. The Japan Earthquake interrupted it for a period, and now it's finishing up. In ten years I predict that you'll be hard pressed to find a new Orthoscopic anywhere. It's not that they're bad eyepieces (they're not), but rather that they aren't any better than other newer available designs that cost the same and offer features Orthscopics cannot. They are a vestige of a time when 45-degrees without a total mess in the outer 20% of the FOV was novel and competitive. Now 45 degrees is puny and good off axis correction commonplace and cheap to obtain.

Regards,

Jim

Deep13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/25/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Takahashi Abbe series [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6003470 - 08/02/13 04:18 PM

Interested in the longer lengths IF they represent an improvement over TV Plossls, RKE, and 30mm old style Ultimas for planets with BV.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12394

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics