Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
desertlens
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/06/10

Loc: 36N 105W
Brandon Standouts?
      #6031045 - 08/17/13 02:04 PM

I'm generally aware of the characteristics of the Brandon design and its execution by Vernonscope but wonder if any are particularly good. I'm considering a 24mm flat top at the moment but that could change. Thanks for your input.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
urassner
sage

Reged: 07/08/12

Re: Brandon Standouts? new [Re: desertlens]
      #6031065 - 08/17/13 02:13 PM

Hi Craig, I just got my volcano top Brandons (24, 16 and 12 mm) a few days ago and have only gotten a couple nights in under less than ideal conditions. Image quality was excellent in all of them. The 24 and 16 had enough eye relief to use them with my glasses on, the 12 mm not quite.
Just posted about it here.
Ulrich

desertlens
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Brandon Standouts? new [Re: urassner]
      #6031104 - 08/17/13 02:31 PM

Thanks Ulrich. I saw your post/photos. They look beautiful... and simple. The latter is my mantra these days.

Sean Cunneen
Let Me Think

Reged: 08/01/07

Loc: Blue Island Illinois
      #6031207 - 08/17/13 03:24 PM

I think the 24 is very special. The 8 isn't so bad either...

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #6031420 - 08/17/13 05:31 PM

My vote would be for the 24. It barlows wonderfully too. A better presentation than the 10 Delos. That's saying a lot coming from a Delos fan.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
Re: Brandon Standouts? new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #6031448 - 08/17/13 05:50 PM

hmm.. Ilke the all. I have the quad turret and can only fit 4 out of 5 of the 1.5 inch ones. So I have the other probem; which am I willing to do without... often it's the 24 so I can get the 32 in for widest field. interesting, maybe I need to mix it up more.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #6031455 - 08/17/13 05:54 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

The 24mm is 53 degrees, so fairly wide for a planetary and the largest AFOV of the Brandon line. As said they barlow really well, I use mine with a 2.5X Powermate. The 24mm flattops make beautiful binoviewer pairs.

desertlens
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Brandon Standouts? new [Re: johnnyha]
      #6031554 - 08/17/13 06:53 PM

Thanks all. This is helpful input. Would the 24mm play well with a conventional Barlow (TV 2x) or would you recommend the Powermate (or 2.4x Dakin)? I'm working on building a "simple set", perhaps 2 EPs and a Barlow. My experience with longer FLs and Barlows has not been very good.

Edited by desertlens (08/18/13 02:24 AM)

Mak2007
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/24/07

#6031629 - 08/17/13 07:38 PM

Quote:

I'm generally aware of the characteristics of the Brandon design and its execution by Vernonscope but wonder if any are particularly good. I'm considering a 24mm flat top at the moment but that could change. Thanks for your input.

You need to try it. It depends on your telescope. Brandons are insuperable in long focal telescopes. I usually read and learn here, I don't like to comment. But let me tell you my own experience: I did compare in my ETX-125 (f/15) a 16mm Nagler Type 6 and a 16mm old Brandon, volcano top. The difference was huge in favor of the Brandon. The Nagler was very good with a wide field, but it has noticeable pincushion. The Brandon doesn't show pincushion, and the view was more pleasant to my eye, and with more contrast. I had no doubts: I sold the 16T6 Nagler and my 24mm Panoptic, and replaced with Brandons (16, 24 and 32).

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Re: Brandon Standouts? new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #6031871 - 08/17/13 10:25 PM

Quote:

hmm.. Ilke the all. I have the quad turret and can only fit 4 out of 5 of the 1.5 inch ones. So I have the other probem; which am I willing to do without... often it's the 24 so I can get the 32 in for widest field. interesting, maybe I need to mix it up more.

If I had to do without one ... probably the 6 for eye relief as I can barlow a longer one.

Thankfully I don't have to do without one though

Side discussion - my 16 is definitely not parfocal with the rest. Does anyone else see this?

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

#6031873 - 08/17/13 10:27 PM

Quote:

Thanks all. This is helpful input. Would the 24mm play well with a conventional Barlow (TV 2x) or would you recommend the Powermate (or 2.4x Klee)? I'm working on building a "simple set", perhaps 2 EPs and a Barlow. My experience with longer FLs and Barlows has not been very good.

If it is a quality barlow I should think so. I'm using an AP Barcon (1.7x) and a Dakin (2.4x) with excellent results.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
      #6032062 - 08/18/13 12:45 AM

I have the 6mm through 32mm Brandons. For planet viewing, I like the Brandon 6 and 8mm best monoviewed. The eye relief is not uncomfortable to me. I like pairs of the 12 and 16mm for binoviewing planets.

Mike

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Brandon Standouts? new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6032105 - 08/18/13 01:25 AM

I like them all; but if I had to pinpoint any, I'd go for the 6mm and the 48mm.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Brandon Standouts? new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #6032678 - 08/18/13 11:35 AM

I've avoided the 4mm and 48mm Brandons. The 4 is said to be a relative clunker, and the 48 has too long a focal length for any of my scopes.

Mike

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Re: Brandon Standouts? new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6033069 - 08/18/13 03:23 PM

Quote:

The eye relief is not uncomfortable to me.

It's funny how one learns to live with it given some time and effort.

Of course, I still prefer longer - but I will no longer allow a reputation for short eye relief to automatically rule out an eyepiece.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6033138 - 08/18/13 04:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The eye relief is not uncomfortable to me.

It's funny how one learns to live with it given some time and effort.

No, not at all. The eye relief on the Brandon 6 and 8 NEVER seemed uncomfortable to me. It does not matter how it seems to anyone else. This is something that each individual observer can only determine for themselves.

Quote:

Of course, I still prefer longer - but I will no longer allow a reputation for short eye relief to automatically rule out an eyepiece.

This is a good principle to live by. Sure, I had heard the horror stories about the tight eye relief of the 6 and 8. These stories made me reluctant to acquire them. By after I acquired and tried them for myself, I found that for me, they are not uncomfortable at all. Especially when fitted with shallow eye cups, I find them both pretty comfortable. I use them more often than the longer focal length Brandons. In fact, I hardly use the 24 and 32 at all.

Mike

desertlens
scholastic sledgehammer

#6033143 - 08/18/13 04:13 PM

I'm not troubled by short eye relief either but I don't need glasses to observe. I've been using a lot of Abbes lately and rarely think about it.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6033147 - 08/18/13 04:16 PM

I don't need glasses to observe through the telescope - only to read and to see the stars. But for convenience sake, I keep my glasses on as often as possible when I'm observing. Certainly for the Brandon 6 and 8 I need to take my glasses off. No big deal.

Mike

Erik Bakker
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/06

Loc: The Netherlands, Europe
      #6033226 - 08/18/13 05:07 PM

In my Questar 7, the 24 was superb. For higher mags, the 12 worked wonderfully. The 16 is perhaps a sweet spot in most scopes, depending on F.L. Never really enjoyed the 32mm, much preferred the 24 over that one. Would keep the scope slow though, f/12 or slower, but not faster than f/8.

If I could pick only 1, it would have to be the 24mm Brandon.

vahe
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/27/05

Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: Brandon Standouts? new [Re: Erik Bakker]
      #6033242 - 08/18/13 05:20 PM

In my TEC 200/20 a pair of Brandon 24s with Zeiss viewer are simply stunning on Jupiter, In this combination the views are very similar to looking through an apo.
These flat top Brandons are the closest thing to my other planetary favorite with this Mak, the 25mm ZAO-Is.

Vahe

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1559

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics