Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
Re: Brandon Standouts? new [Re: vahe]
      #6033778 - 08/18/13 11:29 PM

When I had a set of Brandons the 16 and the 24 were my favorites, I pretty much wussed out on the eye relief of the shorter ones, didn't want to deal with it, but they're just as good.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kevin Ellis

Reged: 11/26/05

Loc: Danbury Essex England
Re: Brandon Standouts? new [Re: Scott99]
      #6034837 - 08/19/13 04:00 PM

I recently acquired a full set of Brandons for my long focus refractors including the 6mm & 48mm.

Before purchasing I did read some concerns about eye relief. Some were favouring Brandons with flat tops. I dont need glasses for viewing, so I ordered all of mine with the rubber eyecups as they can be unscrewed should you have a problem with eye relief. In addition, I ordered a few extra screw on eye cups without the rubber cup. The idea being that I could replace the screw on rubber eye cups with just the metal screw on insert. This then covers the threads on the top of the eyepiece making them almost flat tops. However, I have had no problem with eye relief, so the rubber eye cups have remained.

The 6mm and 48mm dont come with eye cups.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Brandon Standouts? new [Re: desertlens]
      #6035354 - 08/19/13 08:41 PM

Several weeks ago, when Jupiter was up, I took out my newly purchased, used Brandon 8 to try with my 12.5 inch Portaball. I met up with a guy who had a 5 inch refractor (I forgot the brand) but it was one of the better ones. He was totally mesmerized by the view of Jupiter with the Brandon 8. On axis with my F5 Dob, I also appreciated the excellent views. The refractor guy kept coming back, and back, and back to get the Brandon and view.

I have only used a Brandon 8, but in my opinion, it is a mighty fine eyepiece. I am acquiring a small glass collection of a few eyepieces. However, I do prefer viewing with Delos and Ethos eyepieces in the majority of cases.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Brandon Standouts? new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6035738 - 08/20/13 01:44 AM

Quote:

I've avoided the 4mm and 48mm Brandons. The 4 is said to be a relative clunker, and the 48 has too long a focal length for any of my scopes.

Mike

The 4mm would have been a disappointment if I hadn't been forewarned. I only got one to complete the set; but it's not particularly better than my old no-name 4mm ortho. The old Chester lenses were good, but they just weren't even close to Don Yeier standards. Don only put out the 4mm's because we all hollered for them once we found out he had the lenses. He actually sort of tried to talk me out of buying one! (But I'm glad I did.)

And I hear you about the 48mm. I'd have the same problem if I didn't use a SCT. (But I do use one, and WOW!)

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Brandon Standouts? new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #6035970 - 08/20/13 08:06 AM

That was the beauty of Don...he would tell you up front if they worked or not. He warned me of the performance or lack thereof, of the new 4mm release too, so I also avoided adding them to my Anniversary collection. I already had a Pentax 40XW too so the 48 was not justified. I even tried to get Don to make a 4&48mm Anniversay expansion set with the gold annodized coating...he said the cost of the short run wouldn't justify the price/performance ratio, even if I and others will willing to pay for it!!! I hope the new owners are as forthright about their product. Something tells me, they are.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: Brandon Standouts? new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #6036252 - 08/20/13 11:05 AM

I wish we could have talked him into going forward with the 2" Brandon 36.

desertlens
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/06/10

Loc: 36N 105W
Re: Brandon Standouts? new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #6037152 - 08/20/13 07:05 PM

Thanks again to all who responded. It's clear from what I've seen here and elsewhere that it would be hard to go wrong with any of the Brandon line. I've ordered a 24mm flat top so I can see for myself.

t.r.
Post Laureate

#6037901 - 08/21/13 08:58 AM

Wise choice...let us know what you think.

Dr Morbius
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/06/07

Loc: ManorvilleNY-but not for long
Re: Brandon Standouts? new [Re: t.r.]
      #6038541 - 08/21/13 03:12 PM

{I wish we could have talked him into going forward with the 2" Brandon 36} ...............

When I last saw Don I must have spent 25 - 30 minutes just talking about producing the 2 inch Brandon 36mm. He wouldn't even take a down payment - even with my wife next to me. It basically came down to how long would he have to sell 100 pieces and not tie up his money for a long period of time.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Re: Brandon Standouts? new [Re: Dr Morbius]
      #6038630 - 08/21/13 03:56 PM

Quote:

When I last saw Don I must have spent 25 - 30 minutes just talking about producing the 2 inch Brandon 36mm. He wouldn't even take a down payment - even with my wife next to me. It basically came down to how long would he have to sell 100 pieces and not tie up his money for a long period of time.

Was she the downpayment?!?!

Dr Morbius
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/06/07

Loc: ManorvilleNY-but not for long
Re: Brandon Standouts? new [Re: t.r.]
      #6038643 - 08/21/13 04:01 PM

If you mean "was she the downpayment?" uhh, not really - I was trying to show that she was also willing (as well as I) to spend pretty big bucks for the eyepiece, not just a guy who says he wants it but when it comes time to pay up the wife says no!

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #6039422 - 08/22/13 12:43 AM

The 4mm Chester Brandon built is the only Brandon I've used that really wasn't very good. The 24mm has a wider AFOV than the rest, but suffers badly for it off axis in anything faster than ~f/8 making the extra FOV kind of an irrelevancy. My faves are the 48mm, 8mm and 16mm. But I wouldn't trade any of them, save maybe the 4mm, for any other simple eyepiece, ZAO IIs included.

Regards,

Jim

desertlens
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Brandon Standouts? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6040245 - 08/22/13 02:19 PM

Thanks Jim. I'll be working with the 24mm at 10+. I expected this of the extended AFoV. I just have a niche for this FL at the moment and wanted to step into the Brandon experience. For future reference... any comments on the 12mm?

Edit: BTW, thanks for the heads up on the $60 refractor. I have "joined the club" and am duly impressed.

Edited by desertlens (08/22/13 02:35 PM)

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #6040647 - 08/22/13 06:54 PM

Great about the 102GT!

The 12mm is fine and very typical of the other Brandons, save for the 24mm which has wider AFOV than the others. Brandons Barlow extremely well, too, and just a little bit of Barlow amplification tames off axis astigmatism in faster scopes. So if you go 24mm, you can always Barlow to get 12mm and address any astigmatism to boot.

Regards,

Jim

desertlens
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Brandon Standouts? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6040707 - 08/22/13 07:44 PM

That's good news about the Barlow. As I mentioned earlier I'm building a "simple set" that could include a Barlow. I've just had bad experiences with the exit pupil moving around with long FL EPs. I'll give it a try. I have yet to spring for a Powermate.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #6041892 - 08/23/13 01:27 PM

Quote:

That's good news about the Barlow. As I mentioned earlier I'm building a "simple set" that could include a Barlow. I've just had bad experiences with the exit pupil moving around with long FL EPs. I'll give it a try. I have yet to spring for a Powermate.

ES is now selling telecentric's at a much better price. They're getting great reviews on these forums. They call them "focal extenders" but they're the same as the Powermates.

http://www.explorescientific.com/focalextenders/

desertlens
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Brandon Standouts? new [Re: SteveG]
      #6041928 - 08/23/13 01:56 PM

Thanks Steve. I'm considering that as well. The nose seems long and I would prefer it to fit fully into a 1.25" diagonal. I'm not sure the Televue will either.

Edited by desertlens (08/23/13 02:42 PM)

ColoHank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/07

Loc: western Colorado
      #6045977 - 08/25/13 09:05 PM

Love 'em all, but the 24 is my favorite. Views through it are immersive.

desertlens
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Brandon Standouts? new [Re: ColoHank]
      #6046859 - 08/26/13 11:52 AM

...24mm flat top in hand... wonderfully simple and utilitarian... monsoon arrived simultaneously.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #6046892 - 08/26/13 12:15 PM

Quote:

...24mm flat top in hand... wonderfully simple and utilitarian... monsoon arrived simultaneously.

Three, maybe four more weeks of monsoon. Why can't it happen in December and January?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1565

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics