Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: Pentax XW versus Delos, an informal comparison new [Re: coutleef]
      #6034975 - 08/19/13 05:15 PM

Quote:

thanks for the kind words. i view with glasses on so they all have the mechanical eyegard down. i think i would find both systems pleasant to work with. at first i did not understand how the delos worked but understood it after a couple of minutes ( i am not the engineer-type) while the pentax system was easy immediately. frankly i think the delos system is cleaver.

The Delos eye guard is certainly a vast improvement over Instajudst.

However, I wish the folks at TeleVue would have just eaten a slice of humble pie and copied the Pentax system.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: Pentax XW versus Delos, an informal comparison new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #6035055 - 08/19/13 05:58 PM

Quote:

However, I wish the folks at TeleVue would have just eaten a slice of humble pie and copied the Pentax system.

I agree with that statement.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
      #6035083 - 08/19/13 06:07 PM

Quote:

BIG +1 here!

Francois, nice write-up, thanks!

coutleef
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/08

Loc: Saint-Donat, Québec, Canada
Re: Pentax XW versus Delos, an informal comparison new [Re: Phillip Creed]
      #6035175 - 08/19/13 06:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I am not an eyepiece expert as Bill Paolini or Philip Creed, so this thread is more of what i saw and my personnal impression.

Now i am done buying EPs. I thought i was done after purchasing the Pentax, but the Delos are just as good and offered more possibility in terms of FL, so i combined both lines of EPs in my EP case, and they live very well together.

Francois,

"Eyepiece Expert"?! Moi? Bill Paolini could write a book on eyepieces. Heck, Bill Paolini HAS written a book on eyepieces for that matter. I've looked through my share of eyepieces, and I know a good one when I see one, but I'm not quite expert level.

Clear Skies,
Phil

Well, you are not far from one after reading your posts. I enjoy reading Bill reviews and posts but i realize that many of the small differences he sees are outside of my abilities.

In a way, the evaluation of someone who understands well aberrations and uses scopes similar to mine is very important, and is a good guide for my choice.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #6035285 - 08/19/13 08:02 PM

Nice report! I also own both Delos and Pentax XWs, and have found them to be equal--equally excellent eyepieces. If I were trying to choose, I would be guided by the differences in focal lengths. They both have a 10, then the XW moves to a 7 and 5 while the Delos goes from an 8 to a 6. They do overlap in some focal lengths.

HaleBopper
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/14/08

Loc: Land of Ice and Snow
Re: Pentax XW versus Delos, an informal comparison new [Re: GeneT]
      #6035381 - 08/19/13 09:02 PM

A very good read! I was thinking of a 12 mm Delos the other day, and now you got be back on it.

I don't get a chance to do visual that much anymore, but I was wanting to get an eyepiece in the 12 mm range for planet viewing through my C11 Edge. I already have 10 mm Pentax XW and was considering either a 12 mm TV Plossl or a 12 mm Delos.

From the Delos users here, how well does the Delos perform on planets? You can tell from my signature I have a few eyepieces, but was wanting to upgrade a little.

Thanks.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: Pentax XW versus Delos, an informal comparison new [Re: HaleBopper]
      #6035391 - 08/19/13 09:08 PM

Quote:

From the Delos users here, how well does the Delos perform on planets?

It would not be my Top Choice, but it would be my Top Wide Field Choice. It's quite nice really.

This fall we'll see how well my new Pentax XW stacks up.

eklf
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/12/07

Loc: Carrboro, NC
      #6035421 - 08/19/13 09:37 PM

In light of Televue's perfectly-deserved stellar reputation for continously pushing the envelop on eyepiece designs,I am somewhat surprised (and a tad disappointed) that the Delos series simply equaled what Pentax achieved over a decade ago. This is quite a feat on the part of Pentax.

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
      #6035440 - 08/19/13 09:49 PM

As much as I love the Delos, the Nagler T6 will never leave the stall - the wider field of view of 82-deg. just trounces the Delos/Pentax in this regard where the latter cannot approximate the "space-walk" feel and sensation when one is using the Nagler T6, and its optical prowess is nothing to sneeze at too, not to mention tack sharp stars across the entire field. Add to that the small, light and streamlined format (compared to the Delos/Pentax) then everything falls into place and seals the deal. I understand that the shorter eye relief of the NT6 does not make it ideal for eye-glass wearing observers (like the OP) where the entire space-walk field may not be visible or fully appreciated, but otherwise, it's a great EP to have in the stall - it can peacefully co-exist with the Delos, the NT6 is a fine instrument to engage in when one wants that falling-into-the-eyepiece sensation. Just 2 cents.

L-R: Nagler 5mm T6, Delos 6mm, ES-100 14mm

Best,

Phillip Creed
Idiot Seeking Village

Reged: 07/25/06

Loc: Canton, OH
      #6035443 - 08/19/13 09:51 PM

Quote:

From the Delos users here, how well does the Delos perform on planets?

They're really, REALLY good on planets. I've looked at Jupiter in many instruments at 200X (close to the typical seeing limits here in NE Ohio), but I have never, EVER seen it sharper than with a 10mm Delos + 2X GSO barlow combo in my 8" f/4.9 reflector. Yes, even with a barlow, it was incredibly crisp. And I've owned (and barlowed) T6 Naglers, Ethoses and ES-100's in the past; the Delos beat 'em all.

My 14mm Delos was enough to easily see the Cassini Division at the ansae of Saturn's rings in my 8" f/4.9. That's only 71X.

Clear Skies,
Phil

tonyt
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/02/09

Loc: Australia
Re: Pentax XW versus Delos, an informal comparison new [Re: Phillip Creed]
      #6035488 - 08/19/13 10:19 PM

Just an FYI, the 17.3 Delos seated fully into the Astrosystems Ultra Low eyepiece adapter is close to parfocal with a 13mm Ethos. (ethos in 2" mode). Apart from dealing with limited focuser travel having parfocal eyepieces is handy for setting the Paracorr.

Edited by tonyt (08/19/13 10:22 PM)

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
Re: Pentax XW versus Delos, an informal comparison new [Re: tonyt]
      #6035765 - 08/20/13 02:19 AM

The Delos eyecup is better, it takes less time & effort to make it fully extended compared to the Pentax XW, it has markers too that serve as a setting guide and it's uniquely innovative.

Best,

coutleef
Post Laureate

Re: Pentax XW versus Delos, an informal comparison new [Re: ibase]
      #6035939 - 08/20/13 07:37 AM

Quote:

The Delos eyecup is better, it takes less time & effort to make it fully extended compared to the Pentax XW, it has markers too that serve as a setting guide and it's uniquely innovative.

Best,

I agree i find the delos system quite cleaver and easy to use.

As for planets, i saw no difference between details provided by a brandon unbarlowed and the 12 delos or the 6 when using a barlow with the brandon. The view through the brandon was special without giving more details. I found bands on saturn were better seen with the delos than a equivalent BGO ortho.

As for the t6 nagler, i never had the spacewalk feeling with those and they fogged easily in winter, and using them with glasses turned them into plossls. They are sharp and wide field plus are not heavy, but they are far from perfect. The delos are near perfection

HaleBopper
scholastic sledgehammer

#6035953 - 08/20/13 07:53 AM

Thanks everyone for the planet performance input. For less cost I think I'll pick up a few TV Plossls for the planets, but will plan on gradually adding a few Delos to replace my current Stratus eyepieces.

Thanks again for the input.

coutleef
Post Laureate

#6035992 - 08/20/13 08:30 AM

Quote:

Thanks everyone for the planet performance input. For less cost I think I'll pick up a few TV Plossls for the planets, but will plan on gradually adding a few Delos to replace my current Stratus eyepieces.

Thanks again for the input.

the 15 plossl would be great in your C11. TV plossls give great views of jupiter and saturn. the coffe tone pf these EPs is an advantage for viewing jupiter in my experience

HaleBopper
scholastic sledgehammer

#6036022 - 08/20/13 08:58 AM

Yes thanks. I had my eye on the 15 but will probably get the 11 as well. Still on the fence on whether or not to get the 8. Usually more magnification than I can handle with my average skies.

Will definitely be looking to pick up a Delos or two in the future.

kkokkolis
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/23/09

Loc: Piraeus, Greece
Re: Pentax XW versus Delos, an informal comparison new [Re: mgwhittle]
      #6036212 - 08/20/13 10:43 AM

Quote:

This was also a shock to me when I started using my Delos. If you think the colors aren't visible in the T6, try the Explore Scientific eyepieces. They are absolutely monotone compared to the Delos.

To what line are you referring to? I don't see much difference between ES100 9 and Delos 10, but I haven't compared ES82 6.7 and Delos 6. I'll remember to check next time. And the only ES68 I have (24) is good, just short of the Hyperion Aspheric 31. I'll check again, on Albireo first and then some fainter stars.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #6036231 - 08/20/13 10:51 AM

Those who, like me, crave actual lab tests on eyepieces might be interested to read this report (use Google Translate unless you read in French):
http://www.cieletespace.fr/files/InstrumentTest/201306__6_oculaires_10mm.pdf
which tests several 10mm widefield eyepieces, including a Delos and an XW.
Spoiler alert: 10mm Delos rated #1.

I wish we could get tests like this from US magazines. Sigh.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Pentax XW versus Delos, an informal comparison new [Re: Starman1]
      #6036300 - 08/20/13 11:38 AM

If I'm reading the results of the French report correctly, the Delos 10 and Pentax 10 both received scores of 6/6 for light transmission. For deep sky - for me at least - light transmission has high priority. These results contradict Alvin Huey's field reports, which indicate the Delos have better light transmission than the XW's. (Two caveats are that the differences would not be as obvious for smaller instruments or for the longer focal length eyepieces used at lower magnifications.)

When I use eyepieces for planet/lunar, I'm not concerned so much about light transmission. But for deep sky, I'm often looking for DSO that I've never seen before, so they tend to be toward the LM of my 10" Dob. In that case, I'd consider Alvin's results.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Pentax XW versus Delos, an informal comparison [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6036310 - 08/20/13 11:46 AM

This is the Babylon 10 translation of the French report's test for light transmission:

Quote:

TRANSMISSION OF LIGHT by projecting the image of an artificial star on the cell with a photometer, we have been able to measure the variations of transmission between the different eyepieces. The results obtained are rather good, with very low differences found, at most 0.08 magnitude

Babylon 10 French to English

So should we accept that the Delos 10 and XW 10 have essentially equal light transmission, since they both received a 6/6 on the French report? How does this square with field reports which indicate the Delos have greater light transmission? Personally, I tend to put more weight on field reports from experienced observers rather than lab tests. For instance, would the photometer be sensitive to the same range and peaks of light frequencies that a dark-adapted eye would have in actual field conditions?

Mike

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4943

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics