Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Any DSO killer-ortho? new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #6142213 - 10/17/13 02:01 AM

You guys that don't need long eye relief eyepieces to observe are pretty lucky! Wait... No, I'm pretty lucky because more of my money stays in my wallet!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
george tatsis
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/20/08

Loc: Flushing, NY - Europe
      #6142218 - 10/17/13 02:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I've always thought that the Radians looked dim.
-Chuck

I try not to make sell decisions rapidly, especially after selling the 17T4 Nagler.

But after the first outing with Brandons, I listed my Radians on Astromart within a couple of days.

Isn't it weird how we all perceive things differently!

I did the exact opposite with my Brandons!

As far as Amalia's report goes, I get the feeling that she was using one of the first generation Radians which didn't have the transmission the latest batches of Radians had.

I'm almost certain that this is what happened because I've gone through three different Radian sets over the last 13 years and there is a noticeable difference amongst them.

For instance, I have a 4mm Radian which at 225X is as bright as a first generation Radian at 180X. That says a lot about the improvement in coatings over the last ten years.

The latest run is as bright as any premium eyepiece out there! The question is if you can find them and tell which is which

One piece of advice is valid though. The higher transmission Radians are the ones that lack the lower knurled grip on the lower part of the housing, like this one.

http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=50

This is the old one:

http://www.buytelescopes.com/televue-3mm-radian-125-eyepiece

George

Edited by george tatsis (10/17/13 11:49 AM)

Shneor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Northern California
      #6142233 - 10/17/13 02:40 AM

I use a Baader Classic Ortho when I want to tease a bit more detail out of a galaxy, especially if it's pretty faint.

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: Any DSO killer-ortho? new [Re: SteveC]
      #6142450 - 10/17/13 08:45 AM

Quote:

Wow, I owned the 8mm Radian, and was impressed with its light transmission. I can honestly say that I never witnessed such a dramatic difference as was shown in the Sombrero drawing when I compared it to other eyepieces.

When the Radians first came out, they got a lot of bad press related to dim image. Coatings were updated on them I think about 2 years after introduction, then additional times I am sure. The updated coatings did miracles for them as George points out. When buying used Radians, I always tried to determine their approximate vintage from the sellers, or when they were purchased new to try to better my odds that they were newer stock. I've purchased some used Radians where the transmission was horrible, then re-purchased used ones of same focal length where the transmission is up to par. With newer stock, I compared my 12mm Radian to my 12mm XF and felt they were neck-in-neck.

Since vnedors always update their coatings as the coating manufacturers update their process, it is always important when reading shootout reviews to take this into account. If the reviewer does not specify the approximate purchase date of the eypieces, then an old stock of one brand vs a new stock of another could show differences just because of the updated coatings. So for eyepieces that have been around for a while it is important that one is working with the newest stock possible. While I like to buy used, if the eyepiece is a critical one for my observing I tend to buy new to ensure the most updated coatings...and I usually call the vendor to ask if it is old stock or new stock on their shelves.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: Any DSO killer-ortho? new [Re: george tatsis]
      #6142634 - 10/17/13 10:34 AM

Quote:

As far as Amalia's report goes, I get the feeling that she was using one of the first generation Radians which didn't have the transmission the latest batches of Radians had.

I'm almost certain that this is what happened because I've gone through three different Radian sets over the last 13 years and there is a noticeable difference amongst them.

I don't recall the exact dates I acquired my Radians (all purchased new in focal lengths 14, 8, and 5) but it was certainly no later than 1999, and likely very shortly after their introduction. That would make them first generation I guess.

Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
      #6142772 - 10/17/13 11:50 AM

Coatings are important, so is the quality and clarity of the glass in the lenses.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Any DSO killer-ortho? new [Re: george tatsis]
      #6143094 - 10/17/13 02:35 PM

Quote:

One piece of advice is valid though. The higher transmission Radians are the ones that lack the lower knurled grip on the lower part of the housing, like this one.

http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=50

This is the old one:

http://www.buytelescopes.com/televue-3mm-radian-125-eyepiece

George

I am going to put my 18 Radian (old version) versus my XW 20 for some 'transmission' testing, to see if there is a visible difference. The focal lengths are close enough, since they are on the longer end, anyways. I think the nebulosity of M42 would be a good test and perhaps some more other nebulous objects, nebulas and otherwise.

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: Any DSO killer-ortho? new [Re: Starman81]
      #6143107 - 10/17/13 02:45 PM

Quote:

I am going to put my 18 Radian (old version) versus my XW 20 for some 'transmission' testing, to see if there is a visible difference.

The XW should easily win. The 2mm difference in focal lengths will of course produce different exit pupils. The larger exit pupil of the XW will produce a slightly lower magnification AND a 23% brighter image (assuming all else is equal). Even a 1/2mm focal length difference skews brightness and contrast results.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
26 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1039

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics