Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: Starman81]
      #6312912 - 01/14/14 06:11 PM

I'm suprised no one has mentioned a TV Nag 3-6 zoom. It will get you the 180x you mention and then some. When I had my 90's, it was the only eyepiece I would take out many times for doing lunar/planetary/doubles. Works at a low 105x too for many DSO's.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/29/05

Loc: North Alabama
Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: Patrick]
      #6313187 - 01/14/14 09:00 PM

Patrick,

I also use a barlowed 8mm to get that power (157x) and Jupiter remains sharp and contrasty in good seeing. Although the image is beginning to dim a bit and floaters begin to come into play (for me). I think you could go higher in power and still get a sharp view but the dimming and floater issues will start to become more problamatic. My favorite way to view planets is with a pair of binoviewers. I hav ean old pair of Burgess BVs with 17mm wide angle EPs. I screwed the bottom part of a barlow lens to the end of the BV so I can achieve focus and the views of planets are wonderful. I think that setup is operating around 130x. But in a BV everything looks "larger" to me and there is still a lot of contrast in the view. AND no issues with floaters using two eyes. I really only use the really high powers (180x to 220x) on double stars...John

Quote:

Quote:

I own the same scope and I love it. I agree 180x is probably near the upper end for planets

Hi John,

Are you thinking an 8mm focal length eyepiece and 157.5x high end mag would be a more useful overall magnification? I'm not a big double star observer.

Patrick

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #6313699 - 01/15/14 05:20 AM

Quote:

I actually have an 8mm TMB Planetary that I'm not that happy with. I think there was a design change somewhere between the production runs of those two eyepieces and the 8 lost out. Anyway, if I spend $300-400 on an eyepiece, I want to be able to use it with the C8 as well as the Raptor. That means I will need to use my Powermate with the Raptor. A 3.5mm-4.0mm eyepiece will not work in the C8.

Patrick:

My main concern is that if you like splitting close doubles, you will not have sufficient magnification unless you have an eyepiece in the 4mm range and Barlow it.

Jon

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #6313700 - 01/15/14 05:20 AM

Quote:

I actually have an 8mm TMB Planetary that I'm not that happy with. I think there was a design change somewhere between the production runs of those two eyepieces and the 8 lost out. Anyway, if I spend $300-400 on an eyepiece, I want to be able to use it with the C8 as well as the Raptor. That means I will need to use my Powermate with the Raptor. A 3.5mm-4.0mm eyepiece will not work in the C8.

Patrick:

My main concern is that if you like splitting close doubles, you will not have sufficient magnification unless you have an eyepiece in the 4mm range and Barlow it.

Jon

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: John Miele]
      #6313825 - 01/15/14 08:05 AM

Quote:

Patrick,

I also use a barlowed 8mm to get that power (157x) and Jupiter remains sharp and contrasty in good seeing. Although the image is beginning to dim a bit and floaters begin to come into play (for me). I think you could go higher in power and still get a sharp view but the dimming and floater issues will start to become more problamatic. My favorite way to view planets is with a pair of binoviewers. I hav ean old pair of Burgess BVs with 17mm wide angle EPs. I screwed the bottom part of a barlow lens to the end of the BV so I can achieve focus and the views of planets are wonderful. I think that setup is operating around 130x. But in a BV everything looks "larger" to me and there is still a lot of contrast in the view. AND no issues with floaters using two eyes. I really only use the really high powers (180x to 220x) on double stars...John

Quote:

Quote:

I own the same scope and I love it. I agree 180x is probably near the upper end for planets

Hi John,

Are you thinking an 8mm focal length eyepiece and 157.5x high end mag would be a more useful overall magnification? I'm not a big double star observer.

Patrick

How do you like the Burgess binoviewer? Got a chance to get one for a good price.

John Anthony
sage

Reged: 04/27/13

Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: t.r.]
      #6314023 - 01/15/14 10:02 AM

Quote:

I'm suprised no one has mentioned a TV Nag 3-6 zoom. It will get you the 180x you mention and then some. When I had my 90's, it was the only eyepiece I would take out many times for doing lunar/planetary/doubles. Works at a low 105x too for many DSO's.

I did mention the 3-6 Nag zoom but it was on the refractor forum Patrick posted on, great eyepiece, highly recommended for his scope.

Widespread
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky
Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: csrlice12]
      #6314053 - 01/15/14 10:22 AM

I mostly use 24ES68, 14ES82, 11ES82 and 8.8ES82. But I often use them with a Televue 2.5x barlow so YMMV. Because they are parfocal, once I focus up with the barlow inserted, it's easy just to swap EPs.

(With the 2.5x barlow, my 24mm becomes a 9.6mm (66x); the 14mm a 5.6mm (113x); the 11mm a 4.4mm (143x)and for very high power, the 8.8mm becomes a 3.52mm (179x). )

Best,
David

Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: Widespread]
      #6318465 - 01/17/14 11:59 AM

Okay, so how does this sound...?

Budget is $1000 for three eyepieces...

I have three scopes C11 (2800mm/1764mm), C8(2000mm), and now the 90mm 'frac (630mm).

I've definitely settled on a Delos 8mm eyepiece and am leaning towards a 13mm NT6. Both of those would work nicely in all three scopes.

I also have a 31 NT5, a 27 Pan, 32, 25, and 20mm TV Plossl, and a 9mm Burgess/TMB Planetary.

If I wanted to add one more eyepiece to the set, which one would it be? I was thinking maybe the 2.5x Powermate.

Patrick

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: t.r.]
      #6318497 - 01/17/14 12:11 PM

Quote:

+1 I was about to mention the NZ 3-6 but you got there first. The NZ 3-6 is a nice way to sneak up on higher power as the seeing allows without having to overload your kit with a series of eyepieces.

Mike

ewave
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/16/09

Loc: northwest NJ
      #6318513 - 01/17/14 12:17 PM

Patrick, which is used for visual mostly, your C11 or your new C8 Edge? If C11, I would opt for a 14 or 17.3 Delos, since you have that pesty jet stream above Ohio, if C8, then I might add a 12 Delos or 14 Delos. I have the entire upper range of Deloi, and the light transmission and sharpness is bar none and fov is very comparable to the naglers. Either way, the 13 nagler and the 14 Delos have about the same field stop and will give you a nice 0.5 degrees, nicely framing the moon in your C8. I like the 2.5xPM choice as well for your 90mm or something like a nagler 3-6 zoom. Enjoy your difficult decisions, but I'm sure you will be happy with any of your choices.

Patrick
Postmaster

Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6318531 - 01/17/14 12:24 PM

Quote:

I'm suprised no one has mentioned a TV Nag 3-6 zoom.

Yes, it has been mentioned. I'm kind of shying away from eyepieces that will not work in my 8" EdgeHD as well as the 'frac.

Patrick

Patrick
Postmaster

Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: ewave]
      #6318538 - 01/17/14 12:28 PM

Quote:

Patrick, which is used for visual mostly, your C11 or your new C8 Edge?

For outreach I plan on continuing to use the C11. The 27 Pan is probably my most used eyepiece in that scope. And the Pan also works well in the C8.

For personal use, it will be a toss up between the C8 and the 'frac. I'll take a look at the 12 and 14mm Delos.

Between the 12-14 Delos and the NT6 13 it sounds like you prefer the Delos?

Patrick

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6318558 - 01/17/14 12:39 PM

I prefer the Delos over the Naglers. Better light transmission, neutral tone, maybe a touch sharper. What's not to like? If I had not opted to replace my XW's with the Leica ASPH Zoom, I might have eventually replaced the XW's with Delos. Maybe.

I have only two Naglers. One is the T6 2.5, because it has a nice 82 degree AFOV at a very short focal length. The other is the T5 31, because it is the Terminagler!

Mike

csrlice12
Postmaster

#6318586 - 01/17/14 12:52 PM

"I might have eventually replaced the XW's with Delos"

As they're not the same f/ls...don't replace....merge.....

Patrick
Postmaster

#6318625 - 01/17/14 01:12 PM

Quote:

I prefer the Delos over the Naglers. Better light transmission, neutral tone, maybe a touch sharper.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 14mm and 8mm Delos. Both would be a good fit for either the C8 or the Raptor and would give me a nice range in conjunction with my 2x Powermate.

Patrick

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6318662 - 01/17/14 01:28 PM

Quote:

Yes, you're right, that's probably what would have happened ... IF I hadn't tred the Path of the Leica.

Mike

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #6318923 - 01/17/14 03:19 PM

Quote:

Oooh.
20/17.3/14/12/10/8/7/6/5/4.5/3.5
Looks like a dream combination.
That could be the set for every scope, lacking only the large eyepieces at the low end:
41 down to 22 depending on scope and low power desired.
It's too many eyepieces, probably, but not too many for a lot of CNers who have a lot more. They'd add a 2-4mm zoom at the high end "just in case".

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: Starman1]
      #6318944 - 01/17/14 03:31 PM

Don't forget the 30! Wished I'd picked up the 40 before they stopped.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #6318950 - 01/17/14 03:36 PM

Quote:

Don't forget the 30! Wished I'd picked up the 40 before they stopped.

I omitted the 30 and 40mm XW from the list because they're only available used, now.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor [Re: Starman1]
      #6319007 - 01/17/14 04:10 PM

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1485

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics