Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor
      #6310657 - 01/13/14 04:50 PM

Hi Gang,

I just acquired a new Stellarvue 90mm Raptor APO and am looking for eyepiece recommendations. The scope is an f/7 with a focal length of 630mm.

My eyepiece kit currently consists of a TV 31mm Nagler, 27mm Panoptic, 25mm TV Plossl, 20mm TV Plossl, and 9mm Burgess/TMB Planetary. I also have a 2x Powermate.

The 31 Nagler is awesome in the scope and the 9mm Burgess is pretty nice too. I'd like to get an eyepiece that would top out the scope at about 180x (0.5mm exit pupil) and have been looking at the Nagler 7mm or possible the Delos 8mm.

Can anyone explain to me the differences between the N7 and the D8 other than the focal length?

Any recommendations in the mid f/l eyepiece range? I also have an 8" EdgeHD that I use frequently.

Thanks!

Patricvk

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: Patrick]
      #6310679 - 01/13/14 05:02 PM

Patrick,

I can't speak to the N7 or D8, but I will recommend the 7 XW which will provide the most comfortable view you've ever experienced. The 7 will give great views at 90x and then fit perfectly your upper end of 180x with the Powermate.

Patrick
Postmaster

Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: rockethead26]
      #6310696 - 01/13/14 05:10 PM

The XW 7 sounds like an eyepiece worthy of consideration. Thanks!

Patrick

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
      #6311020 - 01/13/14 08:07 PM

Can't go wrong with a 17T4 or 13T6 as your mid-power widefield. The 17T4 is 2" and has a much bigger eyelens than the 13T6 and better eye relief, but the 13T6 is a tack-sharp pleasure, best of class before the 100 degree Ethos came out.

I have an Ethos set and have also viewed through fellow club-members' Delos - my impression of the Delos is that optically it is extremely similar to the Ethos, except for having a 70 deg AFOV rather than 100 deg AFOV (which is the better experience is up to personal taste, but the Delos only costs apx. 60% of what the nearest comparable Ethos focal-lengths do.

SAL
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/13/03

Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: FirstSight]
      #6311031 - 01/13/14 08:13 PM

Another vote for the Nagler 13T6. Congrats on the new SV Patrick.

John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/29/05

Loc: North Alabama
      #6311099 - 01/13/14 08:51 PM

Hi Patrick,

I own the same scope and I love it. I agree 180x is probably near the upper end for planets but for double stars you can go quite a bit higher. I have split some doubles using a 2x barlow and a 5mm TMB giving 252x and the view was still clean...John

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #6311109 - 01/13/14 08:54 PM

Quote:

Hi Gang,

I just acquired a new Stellarvue 90mm Raptor APO and am looking for eyepiece recommendations. The scope is an f/7 with a focal length of 630mm.

My eyepiece kit currently consists of a TV 31mm Nagler, 27mm Panoptic, 25mm TV Plossl, 20mm TV Plossl, and 9mm Burgess/TMB Planetary. I also have a 2x Powermate.

The 31 Nagler is awesome in the scope and the 9mm Burgess is pretty nice too. I'd like to get an eyepiece that would top out the scope at about 180x (0.5mm exit pupil) and have been looking at the Nagler 7mm or possible the Delos 8mm.

Can anyone explain to me the differences between the N7 and the D8 other than the focal length?

Any recommendations in the mid f/l eyepiece range? I also have an 8" Edge HD that I use frequently.

Thanks!

Patrick

A good 13-15mm mid power eyepiece would be great.

Differences between Nagler 7mm and Delos 8mm:
82 degree field (N) versus 72 degree field (D)
12mm eye relief (N) versus 20mm eye relief (D)
Nagler is a little cheaper now.
7 elements (N) versus (probably) 8 elements (D)
Both have vanishingly low angular magnification distortion.
Both are sharp to just at the edge of the field.
227g (N) versus 454g(D)
both are 1.25"
Flip up eyecup (N) versus uniquely-adjustable design (D)

Patrick
Postmaster

#6311318 - 01/13/14 10:55 PM

Quote:

I can't speak to the N7 or D8, but I will recommend the 7 XW which will provide the most comfortable view you've ever experienced. The 7 will give great views at 90x and then fit perfectly your upper end of 180x with the Powermate.

I think I agree that I'm looking for a 7mm eyepiece. It seems like the right size for use with either the C8 or the Raptor.

Now, which one? There's a Naglar 7mm and Pentax XW 7mm. Any others to consider?

Patrick

Patrick
Postmaster

Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: John Miele]
      #6311343 - 01/13/14 11:04 PM

Quote:

I own the same scope and I love it. I agree 180x is probably near the upper end for planets

Hi John,

Are you thinking an 8mm focal length eyepiece and 157.5x high end mag would be a more useful overall magnification? I'm not a big double star observer.

Patrick

riverlaw

Reged: 06/09/10

#6311521 - 01/14/14 12:48 AM

I really enjoy the XWs line up in my 102mm refractor. Since you do not own a pentax I would recommend at least one!

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: riverlaw]
      #6311611 - 01/14/14 03:37 AM

Here's a visual comparison of the Nagler T6 and the Delos:

Nagler 5mm T6, Delos 6mm, ES-100 14mm

The most striking difference concerns relative sizes where the NT6 in its compact form trounces the big Delos and it goes with the weight as well, that makes for easier handling, storing and mounting of the Nagler T6, not to mention less awkward barlowing if that is an intended route. On optical performance, both are sharp/crisp EP's where the difference is less pronounced compared to the heft factor, and not having compared identical focal lengths, the impression is just that the Delos has a bit of a sharper & cleaner view, HD-like, but the bigger AFOV (82° Nagler vs 72° Delos) which for those who are partial to wider fields, may tilt the scale onto the Nagler end. Edge-correction is excellent in both lines, while tone is cooler on the Delos which also has a very generous eye relief of 20mm, more comfortable to use than the Nagler's 12mm ER. Eye lens on the Delos which could provide for a more immersive feel, is much bigger than Nagler's. The 5-6mm EP focal length is what I consider the sweet spot for the refractors in the stall (66mm, 80mm, 102mm & 152mm).

As for Delos vs Pentax XW, previously owned the Pentax XW 7mm, traded it for the Delos 6mm, and quite happy with the decision. Besides, the French mag had deemed that the decade-old Pentax XW was dethroned by the Delos in its lab test results pitting various top-notch EP's in the 10mm arena.

For mid-level magnification, there's nothing like the ES-100 14mm (or Ethos 13mm) with its majestic & expansive 100-degree views. Works great on the C8 scope too for dual-purpose. All just 2 cents.

Best,

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #6311637 - 01/14/14 05:01 AM

Patrick:

If you like the 9mm TMB Planetary, why not get a shorter focal length TMB? There is no doubt the Type 6 Naglers and the various other eyepieces mentioned are somewhat better but still...

With my short focal length refractors, I like to keep the Barlow out the picture for Planetary Viewing and only use the Barlow/Powermate for doubles.

Jon

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: ibase]
      #6311882 - 01/14/14 09:46 AM

Quote:

Besides, the French mag had deemed that the decade-old Pentax XW was dethroned by the Delos in its lab test results pitting various top-notch EP's in the 10mm arena.

Interesting that the user reports out there seem to converge (IMO) on that it is a wash between the two, and no dethroning at all and more of a sharing of the throne. But perhaps the XW is not the best choice for lab-observing after all

Patrick
Postmaster

Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6311909 - 01/14/14 09:58 AM

Quote:

If you like the 9mm TMB Planetary, why not get a shorter focal length TMB?

I actually have an 8mm TMB Planetary that I'm not that happy with. I think there was a design change somewhere between the production runs of those two eyepieces and the 8 lost out. Anyway, if I spend $300-400 on an eyepiece, I want to be able to use it with the C8 as well as the Raptor. That means I will need to use my Powermate with the Raptor. A 3.5mm-4.0mm eyepiece will not work in the C8.

I'm also exploring the option of getting a 2.5x Powermate and a NT6 9mm. Or just getting the 2.5x Powermate and using it with the TMB 9mm. That combination would get me to 175x.

Patrick

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: BillP]
      #6311913 - 01/14/14 09:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Besides, the French mag had deemed that the decade-old Pentax XW was dethroned by the Delos in its lab test results pitting various top-notch EP's in the 10mm arena.

Interesting that the user reports out there seem to converge (IMO) on that it is a wash between the two, and no dethroning at all and more of a sharing of the throne. But perhaps the XW is not the best choice for lab-observing after all

Lol, well, not all observers; take the case of Alvin Huey, to whom many look out for when it comes to big scopes (he uses 22" up apertures) EP comparisons. Even before the French tests, he had been saying all along that Delos was better than Pentax XW for detecting faint objects, the difference becoming more apparent as the scope aperture rises. He also said that in his "dinky" 6" APO refractor, the difference was minimal, so you're right, the average astro enthusiast will hardly be able to tell the difference, thereby sustaining the it's a wash stance. If one can't tell the difference, the scope is simply not big enough. And there can only be one winner, and generally consumers want the winner, just look at all those age-old ads proclaiming that their product is the best, the winner, however miniscule or large the difference may be from the 2nd best, and such is the nature of marketing and capturing the consumer psyche. Yes, from the looks of it and given all these (both laboratory and big scopes field tests which both concur in conclusion), would say Delos had dethroned Pentax XW, but that's just IMHO.

Best,

Patrick
Postmaster

Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: Starman1]
      #6311919 - 01/14/14 10:02 AM

Quote:

Any recommendations in the mid f/l eyepiece range? I also have an 8" Edge HD that I use frequently.

Quote:

Uh...yes, Don. But which one?!

I do appreciate your comments, btw! Thanks for the comparisons.

Patrick

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #6312108 - 01/14/14 11:29 AM

for the mid-range, that ES100* 14mm is worth every penny, best of the bunch. BUT, if 100* isn't your cup of tea (it's not for everybody)....go for the 7XW....the quality difference between the XWs and the Delos isn't worth flipping a coin over. I do prefer the XW eyecup positioning system over the Delos though. And, IMHO, the XWs and Delos play well together.

Starman1

#6312112 - 01/14/14 11:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Uh...yes, Don. But which one?!

I do appreciate your comments, btw! Thanks for the comparisons.

Patrick

Patrick,
As a vendor, I'm not supposed to pitch a particular line, but I suppose if I were ecumenical enough it might be allowed.
Here are some (only a few of many) good ones for you (I like them all):
Group A
Astro Tech AF70 13mm 70degree
Astro Tech Titan 15 70
Baader Planetarium Hyperion 13 68
Celestron Ultima LX 13 70
Celestron Luminos 15 82
Group B
Explore Scientific 82 Series 14 82
Explore Scientific 100 Series 14 100
Meade Xtreme Wide Angle 14 100
Nikon NAV-SW 14 72
Pentax SMC-XW 14 70
TeleVue Delos 14 72
TeleVue Nagler6 13 82
TeleVue Ethos 13 100
Vixen LVW Lanthanum ED Wide 13 65

Group A are the lower-priced bargains.
Group B are higher-priced and more highly reviewed.

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: SAL]
      #6312760 - 01/14/14 04:53 PM

Quote:

Another vote for the Nagler 13T6. Congrats on the new SV Patrick.

Here is another vote for the T6 Nagler series.

I have a small case filled with a 24mm Panoptic and four T6 Naglers (13, 9, 7, and 5mm) that I use with my 105mm Traveler. These are very small and light and they complement the Grab and Go nature of my scope.

All of the T6 Naglers Barlow very well (mine is the Zeiss 2x) and I have been up to 244x with my scope at times.

Congrats on the nice little SV!

Ron

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
      #6312899 - 01/14/14 06:04 PM

Quote:

Patrick,

I second the XW 7 recommendation. I use one for 71x in my 80mm f/6.25 refractor and also with the TV 2x and TV 2.5x Powermate for 143x and 179x. All 3 modes work wonderfully.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: Starman81]
      #6312912 - 01/14/14 06:11 PM

I'm suprised no one has mentioned a TV Nag 3-6 zoom. It will get you the 180x you mention and then some. When I had my 90's, it was the only eyepiece I would take out many times for doing lunar/planetary/doubles. Works at a low 105x too for many DSO's.

John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/29/05

Loc: North Alabama
      #6313187 - 01/14/14 09:00 PM

Patrick,

I also use a barlowed 8mm to get that power (157x) and Jupiter remains sharp and contrasty in good seeing. Although the image is beginning to dim a bit and floaters begin to come into play (for me). I think you could go higher in power and still get a sharp view but the dimming and floater issues will start to become more problamatic. My favorite way to view planets is with a pair of binoviewers. I hav ean old pair of Burgess BVs with 17mm wide angle EPs. I screwed the bottom part of a barlow lens to the end of the BV so I can achieve focus and the views of planets are wonderful. I think that setup is operating around 130x. But in a BV everything looks "larger" to me and there is still a lot of contrast in the view. AND no issues with floaters using two eyes. I really only use the really high powers (180x to 220x) on double stars...John

Quote:

Quote:

I own the same scope and I love it. I agree 180x is probably near the upper end for planets

Hi John,

Are you thinking an 8mm focal length eyepiece and 157.5x high end mag would be a more useful overall magnification? I'm not a big double star observer.

Patrick

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#6313699 - 01/15/14 05:20 AM

Quote:

I actually have an 8mm TMB Planetary that I'm not that happy with. I think there was a design change somewhere between the production runs of those two eyepieces and the 8 lost out. Anyway, if I spend $300-400 on an eyepiece, I want to be able to use it with the C8 as well as the Raptor. That means I will need to use my Powermate with the Raptor. A 3.5mm-4.0mm eyepiece will not work in the C8.

Patrick:

My main concern is that if you like splitting close doubles, you will not have sufficient magnification unless you have an eyepiece in the 4mm range and Barlow it.

Jon

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#6313700 - 01/15/14 05:20 AM

Quote:

Patrick:

My main concern is that if you like splitting close doubles, you will not have sufficient magnification unless you have an eyepiece in the 4mm range and Barlow it.

Jon

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: John Miele]
      #6313825 - 01/15/14 08:05 AM

Quote:

Patrick,

I also use a barlowed 8mm to get that power (157x) and Jupiter remains sharp and contrasty in good seeing. Although the image is beginning to dim a bit and floaters begin to come into play (for me). I think you could go higher in power and still get a sharp view but the dimming and floater issues will start to become more problamatic. My favorite way to view planets is with a pair of binoviewers. I hav ean old pair of Burgess BVs with 17mm wide angle EPs. I screwed the bottom part of a barlow lens to the end of the BV so I can achieve focus and the views of planets are wonderful. I think that setup is operating around 130x. But in a BV everything looks "larger" to me and there is still a lot of contrast in the view. AND no issues with floaters using two eyes. I really only use the really high powers (180x to 220x) on double stars...John

Quote:

Quote:

Hi John,

Patrick

How do you like the Burgess binoviewer? Got a chance to get one for a good price.

John Anthony
sage

Reged: 04/27/13

Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: t.r.]
      #6314023 - 01/15/14 10:02 AM

Quote:

I'm suprised no one has mentioned a TV Nag 3-6 zoom. It will get you the 180x you mention and then some. When I had my 90's, it was the only eyepiece I would take out many times for doing lunar/planetary/doubles. Works at a low 105x too for many DSO's.

I did mention the 3-6 Nag zoom but it was on the refractor forum Patrick posted on, great eyepiece, highly recommended for his scope.

Widespread
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky
Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: csrlice12]
      #6314053 - 01/15/14 10:22 AM

I mostly use 24ES68, 14ES82, 11ES82 and 8.8ES82. But I often use them with a Televue 2.5x barlow so YMMV. Because they are parfocal, once I focus up with the barlow inserted, it's easy just to swap EPs.

(With the 2.5x barlow, my 24mm becomes a 9.6mm (66x); the 14mm a 5.6mm (113x); the 11mm a 4.4mm (143x)and for very high power, the 8.8mm becomes a 3.52mm (179x). )

Best,
David

Patrick
Postmaster

Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: Widespread]
      #6318465 - 01/17/14 11:59 AM

Okay, so how does this sound...?

Budget is $1000 for three eyepieces...

I have three scopes C11 (2800mm/1764mm), C8(2000mm), and now the 90mm 'frac (630mm).

I've definitely settled on a Delos 8mm eyepiece and am leaning towards a 13mm NT6. Both of those would work nicely in all three scopes.

I also have a 31 NT5, a 27 Pan, 32, 25, and 20mm TV Plossl, and a 9mm Burgess/TMB Planetary.

If I wanted to add one more eyepiece to the set, which one would it be? I was thinking maybe the 2.5x Powermate.

Patrick

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: t.r.]
      #6318497 - 01/17/14 12:11 PM

Quote:

+1 I was about to mention the NZ 3-6 but you got there first. The NZ 3-6 is a nice way to sneak up on higher power as the seeing allows without having to overload your kit with a series of eyepieces.

Mike

ewave
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/16/09

Loc: northwest NJ
      #6318513 - 01/17/14 12:17 PM

Patrick, which is used for visual mostly, your C11 or your new C8 Edge? If C11, I would opt for a 14 or 17.3 Delos, since you have that pesty jet stream above Ohio, if C8, then I might add a 12 Delos or 14 Delos. I have the entire upper range of Deloi, and the light transmission and sharpness is bar none and fov is very comparable to the naglers. Either way, the 13 nagler and the 14 Delos have about the same field stop and will give you a nice 0.5 degrees, nicely framing the moon in your C8. I like the 2.5xPM choice as well for your 90mm or something like a nagler 3-6 zoom. Enjoy your difficult decisions, but I'm sure you will be happy with any of your choices.

Patrick
Postmaster

Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6318531 - 01/17/14 12:24 PM

Quote:

I'm suprised no one has mentioned a TV Nag 3-6 zoom.

Yes, it has been mentioned. I'm kind of shying away from eyepieces that will not work in my 8" EdgeHD as well as the 'frac.

Patrick

Patrick
Postmaster

Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: ewave]
      #6318538 - 01/17/14 12:28 PM

Quote:

Patrick, which is used for visual mostly, your C11 or your new C8 Edge?

For outreach I plan on continuing to use the C11. The 27 Pan is probably my most used eyepiece in that scope. And the Pan also works well in the C8.

For personal use, it will be a toss up between the C8 and the 'frac. I'll take a look at the 12 and 14mm Delos.

Between the 12-14 Delos and the NT6 13 it sounds like you prefer the Delos?

Patrick

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6318558 - 01/17/14 12:39 PM

I prefer the Delos over the Naglers. Better light transmission, neutral tone, maybe a touch sharper. What's not to like? If I had not opted to replace my XW's with the Leica ASPH Zoom, I might have eventually replaced the XW's with Delos. Maybe.

I have only two Naglers. One is the T6 2.5, because it has a nice 82 degree AFOV at a very short focal length. The other is the T5 31, because it is the Terminagler!

Mike

csrlice12
Postmaster

#6318586 - 01/17/14 12:52 PM

"I might have eventually replaced the XW's with Delos"

As they're not the same f/ls...don't replace....merge.....

Patrick
Postmaster

#6318625 - 01/17/14 01:12 PM

Quote:

I prefer the Delos over the Naglers. Better light transmission, neutral tone, maybe a touch sharper.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 14mm and 8mm Delos. Both would be a good fit for either the C8 or the Raptor and would give me a nice range in conjunction with my 2x Powermate.

Patrick

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6318662 - 01/17/14 01:28 PM

Quote:

Yes, you're right, that's probably what would have happened ... IF I hadn't tred the Path of the Leica.

Mike

Starman1

#6318923 - 01/17/14 03:19 PM

Quote:

Oooh.
20/17.3/14/12/10/8/7/6/5/4.5/3.5
Looks like a dream combination.
That could be the set for every scope, lacking only the large eyepieces at the low end:
41 down to 22 depending on scope and low power desired.
It's too many eyepieces, probably, but not too many for a lot of CNers who have a lot more. They'd add a 2-4mm zoom at the high end "just in case".

csrlice12
Postmaster

#6318944 - 01/17/14 03:31 PM

Don't forget the 30! Wished I'd picked up the 40 before they stopped.

Starman1

#6318950 - 01/17/14 03:36 PM

Quote:

Don't forget the 30! Wished I'd picked up the 40 before they stopped.

I omitted the 30 and 40mm XW from the list because they're only available used, now.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#6319007 - 01/17/14 04:10 PM

ewave
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/16/09

Loc: northwest NJ
      #6319239 - 01/17/14 06:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Patrick, which is used for visual mostly, your C11 or your new C8 Edge?

For outreach I plan on continuing to use the C11. The 27 Pan is probably my most used eyepiece in that scope. And the Pan also works well in the C8.

For personal use, it will be a toss up between the C8 and the 'frac. I'll take a look at the 12 and 14mm Delos.

Between the 12-14 Delos and the NT6 13 it sounds like you prefer the Delos?

Patrick

Well some other mentionables about the Delos. You can twist (and lock) the eyepiece up or down for a more comfortable position while viewing, but that may cut down on the eye relief slightly, but negates the effects of anything touching the ep glass. Also, the Delos 14 and 17 are not parfocal with the 8mm. But I would still recommend the 14D.

coutleef
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/08

Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada
Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: ewave]
      #6319256 - 01/17/14 06:54 PM

i use the 14 and 8 delos in my c8 and really like them

BillP
Postmaster

#6319331 - 01/17/14 07:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Lol, well, not all observers; take the case of Alvin Huey, to whom many look out for when it comes to big scopes (he uses 22" up apertures) EP comparisons. Even before the French tests, he had been saying all along that Delos was better than Pentax XW for detecting faint objects,...

He also said the Ethos beat the XW in threshold tests. But let's not forget that the ZAO beats them all. So no dethroning the XWs because of transmission...that crown goes to min glass eyepieces

Thrones are won (and lost) by more than single criteria anyway...so planetary performance, exit pupil behavior, on-axis field performance, a variety of off-axis field performance factors, ergonomics, dust/weather resistance, etc. etc. So not a cut and dry thing as we've seen by numerous people reporting it as a toss up, and some leaning one way or the other. Both grand EPs with their own kingdoms (and one with a Buddha don't forget ). Regardless of who has the throne, note that it is an "Eyepiece" that occupies that title and stature

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6319399 - 01/17/14 08:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Oooh.
20/17.3/14/12/10/8/7/6/5/4.5/3.5
Looks like a dream combination.
That could be the set for every scope, lacking only the large eyepieces at the low end:
41 down to 22 depending on scope and low power desired.
It's too many eyepieces, probably, but not too many for a lot of CNers who have a lot more. They'd add a 2-4mm zoom at the high end "just in case".

At one point I had three times that many eyepieces in the case I take to my dark site. So the number - or the weight - is not a problem. What can be a problem is switching among so many eyepieces while observing. For me, that became a drag on what I came to the dark site to do - observe objects, not juggle optics.

Now I make do with a Leica ASPH + Barlow, Baader Zoom, NZ 2-4, NZ 3-6, and a small entourage of single focal length eyepieces to fill in the gaps - not many - and to perform special functions. IME, the less switching eyepieces, the more seeing objects.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6319422 - 01/17/14 08:48 PM

Quote:

Regardless of who has the throne, note that it is an "Eyepiece" that occupies that title and stature

Watch out! You might have to answer to the Chief of the Optics Police!

Mike

Patrick
Postmaster

Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: coutleef]
      #6319665 - 01/17/14 11:38 PM

Quote:

Good to know since I ordered both of them today!

Patrick

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#6319732 - 01/18/14 12:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Lol, well, not all observers; take the case of Alvin Huey, to whom many look out for when it comes to big scopes (he uses 22" up apertures) EP comparisons. Even before the French tests, he had been saying all along that Delos was better than Pentax XW for detecting faint objects,...

He also said the Ethos beat the XW in threshold tests. But let's not forget that the ZAO beats them all. So no dethroning the XWs because of transmission...that crown goes to min glass eyepieces

Thrones are won (and lost) by more than single criteria anyway...so planetary performance, exit pupil behavior, on-axis field performance, a variety of off-axis field performance factors, ergonomics, dust/weather resistance, etc. etc. So not a cut and dry thing as we've seen by numerous people reporting it as a toss up, and some leaning one way or the other. Both grand EPs with their own kingdoms (and one with a Buddha don't forget ). Regardless of who has the throne, note that it is an "Eyepiece" that occupies that title and stature

You're right, the ZAO is THE top dog, there's no contesting that. But remember, the French tests were about which widefiled (70° up AFOV which the ZAO is not) reigns supreme like in the Nikon NAV SW-10, Ethos 10, Takahashi 10-UW, Pentax XW10 and Delos 10.

And just like the results in Alvin Huey's big scopes field tests for threshold objects, the ranking by the French lab tests dovetailed the same pecking order:

1. Delos (best)
2. Ethos
3. Pentax XW

Parallel conclusions on optical prowess which matter most (without prejudice to other criteria) - both laboratory & big-scope field tests concurred that Delos is the best widefield; just because one couldn't tell the difference in small scopes doesn't mean that the difference doesn't exist and thus a toss-up, it's simply that the scope being used is not big enough in this case.

Best,

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
      #6319966 - 01/18/14 07:54 AM

Quote:

And just like the results in Alvin Huey's big scopes field tests for threshold objects, the ranking by the French lab tests dovetailed the same pecking order:

1. Delos (best)
2. Ethos
3. Pentax XW

Parallel conclusions on optical prowess which matter most (without prejudice to other criteria) - both laboratory & big-scope field tests concurred that Delos is the best widefield; just because one couldn't tell the difference in small scopes doesn't mean that the difference doesn't exist and thus a toss-up, it's simply that the scope being used is not big enough in this case.

Best,

My guess is that it would take a night with excellent seeing using a top notch scope and an exceptional observer to see the transmission and contrast differences in those three eyepieces. Most of us fall short on one or two of the above requirements on any given night.

John Anthony
sage

#6320466 - 01/18/14 01:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Good to know since I ordered both of them today!

Patrick

Patrick if you haven't already had the pleasure of using the Delos eyepieces you are really going to like them with the 90mm scope. They seem to always surprise me everytime I use them with my 92mm APO, nice eye relief, wide field and wonderfully sharp for a eyepiece that has a good number of elements in it. Just a fantastic do it all eyepiece, I'm slowly getting all of them.

John Anthony
sage

#6320504 - 01/18/14 01:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

1. Delos (best)
2. Ethos
3. Pentax XW

Best,

My guess is that it would take a night with excellent seeing using a top notch scope and an exceptional observer to see the transmission and contrast differences in those three eyepieces. Most of us fall short on one or two of the above requirements on any given night.

+ 1, I can't see how you can go wrong with any of those eyepieces, the discernible differences would be hard to see and would indeed "take a night with excellent seeing using a top notch scope and an exceptional observer to see the transmission and contrast differences in those three eyepieces". Personally I say the Delos and Pentax are the way to go just because of the price compared to the Ethos, you're just not getting much more for such a step up in price with the Ethos but I can understand how some would want the larger FOV.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: John Anthony]
      #6320633 - 01/18/14 02:21 PM

I have owned and used Delos 4.5 and 6, and XW's 3.5, 5, 7, 10 and 20. To my eye, the most obvious and immediate difference between the Delos and XW was the ease of finding and maintaining the best eye position with the XW compared to the relative difficulty in doing so with the Delos.

IME, the XW's were just easier and more comfortable to use right out of the box. Not so with the Delos. IMO this is why TeleVue has made such a point to get the eyeguard right, in order to help the observer set the optimal position for viewing through the Delos. This was also a big deal with the Radians and their Instadjust design.

That said, I still own a Delos 4.5. I've sold all my XW's since acquiring a Leica ASPH and Ethos-SX 3.7. But I wanted to keep at least one of TeleVue's latest and greatest. After all, there is that point about high light transmission for the Delos.

Mike

John Anthony
sage

#6320716 - 01/18/14 03:12 PM

Quote:

I have owned and used Delos 4.5 and 6, and XW's 3.5, 5, 7, 10 and 20. To my eye, the most obvious and immediate difference between the Delos and XW was the ease of finding and maintaining the best eye position with the XW compared to the relative difficulty in doing so with the Delos.

IME, the XW's were just easier and more comfortable to use right out of the box. Not so with the Delos. IMO this is why TeleVue has made such a point to get the eyeguard right, in order to help the observer set the optimal position for viewing through the Delos. This was also a big deal with the Radians and their Instadjust design.

That said, I still own a Delos 4.5. I've sold all my XW's since acquiring a Leica ASPH and Ethos-SX 3.7. But I wanted to keep at least one of TeleVue's latest and greatest. After all, there is that point about high light transmission for the Delos.

Mike

I experienced the same with the Pentax XL's compared to the Delos, Pentax was very comfortable to use, this is not say the Delos was problematic, the difference for me was slight but noticeable. I still feel overall the Delos was slightly a better performer then the Pentax XL, the Pentax imparting a somewhat warmer tone and the Delos with better light transmission.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: John Anthony]
      #6321305 - 01/18/14 09:47 PM

I had an XL 5.2 for a short time, but soon replaced it with an XW 5. The Pentax XW's were neutral toned. My LVW 8 was a little warm by comparison. The Delos so far seem about as neutral as the XW's.

Many eyepieces seem a touch warm when compared to the Pentax XO's. When viewing Jupiter, my Leica ASPH has a slightly warm tone in comparison to the XO's. But when I compared my Leica to the XW, they both seemed neutral. IME, the XO's appear neutral-to-cool.

On the other hand, TV Plossls are just obviously warm when viewing Jupiter or the Moon. I don't need to compare them to other eyepieces to see that.

Mike

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#6321330 - 01/18/14 10:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

1. Delos (best)
2. Ethos
3. Pentax XW

Best,

Agree.

Best,

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#6321349 - 01/18/14 10:16 PM

Quote:

To my eye, the most obvious and immediate difference between the Delos and XW was the ease of finding and maintaining the best eye position with the XW compared to the relative difficulty in doing so with the Delos.

Here's the other side of the coin - just like another forum member who recently posted here, Delos was better at beaning/blacking out control than Pentax XW. That's why mentioned earlier in the thread being quite happy trading the Pentax XW previously owned to get the Delos, which to my eye is less prone to beaning or blackouts (comparison with eyecups fully retracted). With the Pentax XW, just a slight off-than-optimal eye position would trigger the bean right away, whereas with the Delos, the leeway is wider, thus resulting in a less constrained head/eye position that's more forgiving of lateral movements, and ultimately more comfortable to use.

Another factor to consider is that if one has been using the Pentax XW for some time already, then tests a new Delos, more likely than not the Pentax XW will be judged better for eye-placement; give the Delos some time maybe, for a more equal comparison.

Best,

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6321914 - 01/19/14 10:33 AM

Quote:

Here's the other side of the coin - just like another forum member who recently posted here, Delos was better at beaning/blacking out control than Pentax XW.

I know there has been some controversy about this. Some observers say the exact opposite about Delos vs XW. Some say Delos control beaning/blackout better, others say the XW do.

Well, I have a Delos 4.5 and I can tell you that it has terrible beaning/blackout control - to my eye - compared to the performance of XW's. My Delos 6 was the same way. I just now put the Delos 4.5 up to my eye and could very easily shift the exit pupil out of the sweet spot. If I move my eye just a touch up, down, left or right, I see beaning and blackouts. I had an Orion Epic ED-2 22mm - eyepieces supposedly prone to beaning/blacouts - and it did not have more beaning/blackouts than the Delos.

Quote:

That's why mentioned earlier in the thread being quite happy trading the Pentax XW previously owned to get the Delos, which to my eye is less prone to beaning or blackouts (comparison with eyecups fully retracted).

This has not been my experience at all. I certainly did not sell my XW's because of beaning/blackouts. I was very satisfied with how the XW's control those problems. I sold my XW's for two reasons: (1) redundancy with the Leica ASPH and other eyepieces; (2) dislike of switching among a series of eyepieces when viewing objects.

Quote:

With the Pentax XW, just a slight off-than-optimal eye position would trigger the bean right away, whereas with the Delos, the leeway is wider, thus resulting in a less constrained head/eye position that's more forgiving of lateral movements, and ultimately more comfortable to use.

This is the exact opposite of my experience. Switch "XW" with "Delos" and you will have my experience.

Quote:

Another factor to consider is that if one has been using the Pentax XW for some time already, then tests a new Delos, more likely than not the Pentax XW will be judged better for eye-placement; give the Delos some time maybe, for a more equal comparison.

Yes, I think much of this difference in experience might boil down to ... a difference in experience. We are discussing phenomena, not facts.

But I do recall taking each XW out of the box, putting it up to my eye - and later using it in the field - and not having any problem at all with beaning/blackouts. Maybe other eyepieces I had used previously had somehow preconditioned me to an easy transition to the XW's. On the other hand, maybe my previous experience had not prepared me for the Delos.

In any case, I cannot honestly say that - to my eye - the Delos is very forgiving of eye position. I just don't see it. I was the same way about the Radians. I think it's a TeleVue thing. I tell you that is why they have put so much effort into designing their eyeguards and pupil guides - because of problems their customers have had with eye positioning. Seems obvious to me. They need to compensate for the eye positioning problems. Though I've never had a problem with the TV Plossls. A different animal entirely.

But then again, it could be a case of what I am - or am not - accustomed to. And of course the same could be true of observers who have had the opposite experience with Delos vs XW's.

Mike

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#6321960 - 01/19/14 10:58 AM

Quote:

I know there has been some controversy about this. Some observers say the exact opposite about Delos vs XW. Some say Delos control beaning/blackout better, others say the XW do.

Exactly; at least the viewers know there are two sides of the coin on this matter, and that we agree to disagree.

Best,

Starman1

#6321989 - 01/19/14 11:16 AM

Mike,
Said issues are usually the result of:
--exit pupil. Small exit pupils on long eye relief eyepieces often combine to yield difficulties in head positioning. This was probably the issue with the Radians.
--inability to hold the head steady. This varies a lot from individual to individual. People who stand (big dob users or SCT users with tripods all the way up) often have more problems with blackouts than people who sit.
Even despite that, it also varies from person to person. I had a 22T4 Nagler, an eyepiece a lot of people had problems with, but I could use it with the eyecup all the way down and never experience blackouts. Part of that was the larger exit pupil in the scope (~4mm) and part of that was that I was a lot younger and steadier then.
--Actual eye relief with the eyecup in place. It's been my experience that the XWs eyecup, even in minimum position, is taller than the eyecup on the Delos in minimum position. Either way, though, once the eyecup is adjusted to the right height, neither the XW nor the Delos should be hard to use or suffer from blackouts. Unlike other long eye relief eyepieces where the eyecup simply can't be raised high enough, on both XWs and Delos EPs, the eyecup CAN be raised high enough for even the perople who like to nestle their eyes into the eyecups.

Other than that, neither the Delos nor the XW suffers from spherical aberration of the exit pupil, so neither should experience "kidney beaning".

It's interesting that not every observer finds long eye relief to be a wonderful thing. Over the years, I've found my optimum is about 12mm of eye relief--longer becomes hard to use and/or shield the eye from peripheral light; shorter yields too much eyelash oil on the lens and too easy fogging in colder weather.

What I'm finding recently is that different eyepieces with highly concave eye lenses reflect peripheral light right into your eye. These eyepieces have to be used with a hood or by cupping the hands around the eyepiece. Yet, strangely to me, many observers don't notice this at all.

Optical quality is there. Now let's see some improvements in ergonomics of use.

BillP
Postmaster

#6322239 - 01/19/14 01:46 PM

I would add to your list:

- physiological differences in each observers eyes may help or hinder the situation

- how close the exit pupil of the telescope-eyepiece combination is to the dilation of the observer's pupil (when both are close to same then smallest head movement causes issue).

- actual specifics of the exit pupil design of the eyepiece. e.g., the design can place the exit pupil formation at specific places within the eye - Link .

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6322344 - 01/19/14 02:34 PM

Quote:

As well as ergonomics of design.

Mike

Starman1

#6322774 - 01/19/14 06:19 PM

Quote:

I would add to your list:

- physiological differences in each observers eyes may help or hinder the situation

- how close the exit pupil of the telescope-eyepiece combination is to the dilation of the observer's pupil (when both are close to same then smallest head movement causes issue).

- actual specifics of the exit pupil design of the eyepiece. e.g., the design can place the exit pupil formation at specific places within the eye - Link .

Well, how relevant those systems are that place the exit pupil differently than a typical telescope + eyepiece is debatable.

But, the article does point out some of the points I've often made about ultrawide fields and exit pupil, i.e. if the exit pupil is large enough (large enough % of the actual eye pupil diameter), looking at the edge of the field of view without rolling the head will result in vignetting (in this case, blackouts on one side of the field,which the article points to as a source of vignetting).
The technique of rolling the head while holding the pupil of the eye coincident with the exit pupil of the eyepiece is a learned behavior.
It must be instinctive in some users, and very hard to learn in others, judging from the varying reactions to ultrawide eyepieces.

Also, I am not near-sighted and many very myopic people report different issues with using eyepieces than those with average vision. Being myopic places the exit pupil and focus at different places, and this could cause exit pupil issues as well.

Truly, there are a host of physiological factors that could easily influence a person's reaction to a given eyepiece.

Starman1

#6322799 - 01/19/14 06:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

As well as ergonomics of design.

Mike

That brings up some questions:
--is long eye relief really better if you don't need to wear glasses to view?
--how well does the design block peripheral light?
--can eye relief be too short?
--what is the optimum eye relief?
--how well does the eyepiece block light from entering that is outside the exit pupil, or does it?
--how adjustable is the eyecup?
--why do some eyepieces have shiny anodized cylindrical surfaces above the eye lens instead of a flat black knife edge?
--why do some LER eyepieces have only a short eyecup?
--why do some short eye relief eyepieces have roll-up eyecups, or even eyecups at all?
--why do tiny, lightweight, eyepieces have safety grooves cut in their barrels?
--why do some designs have concave eye lenses of just the right curvature to allow peripheral light to reflect into the eye?
--why do some eyepieces have issues with reflections from the cornea while others don't?
--why are the bottoms of most eyepieces shiny and reflective?
--how can an ultrawide field eyepiece be constructed so that users don't have issues with seeing the edge?
--could ultrawide field eyepieces be constructed with long eye reliefs?
etc., etc.

I really don't think we're at the end of design in eyepieces.
However, if light pollution is not controlled, the visual use of telescopes may precipitously decline, and this could make further development of eyepieces commercially unviable.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6323026 - 01/19/14 09:13 PM

Quote:

--how can an ultrawide field eyepiece be constructed so that users don't have issues with seeing the edge?

etc., etc.

If these design problems can be solved, I predict a tsunami wave of sales in ultrawide field eyepieces.

Quote:

However, if light pollution is not controlled, the visual use of telescopes may precipitously decline, and this could make further development of eyepieces commercially unviable.

There are always the bright planets and the Moon, and double stars to some extent. Deep sky isn't all there is.

Mike

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
      #6323150 - 01/19/14 10:26 PM

In the Delos vs XW debate, overall, I am more in Mike's (Sarkikos) camp with my experience. I had the 10 Delos previously and tested it out vs the XW 10 which was already entrenched in the lineup. Yes, the Delos was a little bit of an effort to hold the exit pupil but it was still very comfy. The XWs were the incumbents and there wasn't enough of a case to replace them with Deloi.

Most recently though, I've tried the 17.3 and 14 Deloi. They were so comfortable to use, I started thinking that I was perhaps a bit quick to dismiss the 10 Delos. Then I realized that it might be the larger exit pupils of these longer focal lengths. The 17.3 didn't fit my needs but I am thinking the 14 Delos will replace the XW 14. There is something very special about the Deloi, they seem much more immersive than the 72* AFOV would lead you to believe. Seems more like 82* with a ton of ER!

Starman1

#6323311 - 01/19/14 11:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

etc., etc.

If these design problems can be solved, I predict a tsunami wave of sales in ultrawide field eyepieces.

Quote:

There are always the bright planets and the Moon, and double stars to some extent. Deep sky isn't all there is.

Mike

Very true, but do you need ultrawides for them?

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6323368 - 01/20/14 12:36 AM

But do you need ultrawides for deep sky?

No, not always. Arguably, not most of the time. I use my ES 100 14 for large DSO and large fields of multiple DSO. I use my Ethos-SX 3.7 for close-up views of planetaries and to see structure in some bright nebulae. Otherwise, the vast majority of faint fuzzies do fine in my Leica ASPH and Baader Zoom. For the really faint fuzzies, I put in an XO or Sterling Plossl.

Now back to the original question: Do I need ultrawides for bright planets and the Moon? Well, yes, they do come in handy for viewing these objects in my nontracking Dobs. And I think many Dob users buy ultrawides for those objects. A good ultrawide field high-power eyepiece in a Paracorr is a good alternative to simple glass eyepieces or even binoviewing. A good alternative, though admittedly perhaps not the best option.

Mike

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Re: Eyepiece Recommendations for 90mm Refractor new [Re: Starman81]
      #6323697 - 01/20/14 09:18 AM

Quote:

There is something very special about the Deloi, they seem much more immersive than the 72* AFOV would lead you to believe.

Syed,

Am with you on this one. The really big eye lens of the Delos (~35mm diameter) coupled with the generous eye relief probably contributes to the more palpable immersion making the views look wider than the 72° AFOV.

Delos eye lens

Best,

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1589

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics