Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
GOLGO13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: St. Louis area
Re: Tele Vue is Cheap! new [Re: hfjacinto]
      #6621775 - 07/07/14 03:49 PM

I watched a "how it's made" for a camera lens. Talk about an impressive series of tasks and effort. I personally think they are worth the money after watching that.

I'm sure eyepeices would also be pretty impressive on the steps involved. But likely a lot less going on in comparison to a camera lens.

However, I agree the telescope hobby isn't really that bad cost wise (and certainly doesn't have to be). I've spent as much or more on my other hobbies (fly fishing, Motorcycling, Video games, etc).

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
Re: Tele Vue is Cheap! new [Re: GOLGO13]
      #6621837 - 07/07/14 04:29 PM

However, with regards to spending: once you are "equipped" in this hobby, you can enjoy it without having to spend more. Most of us do, but some of us simply use what we have and enjoy doing so.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Tele Vue is Cheap! new [Re: cliff mygatt]
      #6622029 - 07/07/14 06:26 PM

Quote:

"You get what you pay for" is a great saying and Televue makes a product that is excellent and they stand behind them for the life of the product. Worth every cent in my opinion!

Agree! I believe that TeleVue gives good value for the money. For people on a tight budget, Explore Scientific and other brands offer good options. I decided several years ago to move up and buy premium eyepieces. I added a few every few months. When I wanted a different eyepiece in the same focal length, I sold it, and bought a new one. We are fortunate to have so many good eyepiece choices spread across the price spectrum.

areyoukiddingme
sage

Reged: 11/18/12

Re: Tele Vue is Cheap! new [Re: GeneT]
      #6622732 - 07/08/14 03:05 AM

They sure ain't cheap, but if you think of the cost spread across the life of the object and the many, many years of use, then it seems like a fair price.

Having said that, I've not yet found the ability to pull the trigger on new TVs when the ESs are so well priced.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
Re: Tele Vue is Cheap! new [Re: JustaBoy]
      #6623048 - 07/08/14 09:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

"You get what you pay for" is a great saying ...

Ok - Now do you have any comments, Mike:-)

You really don't want me to go there ... but alright, since you insist.

"You get what you pay for" is the worst saying ever. Think about it. In one instance I ordered an item, but the company had gone bankrupt, so I never received it. Did I get what I paid for? No, I did not. You do not always get what you pay for. QED

Mike

Scott in NCAdministrator
80mm Refractor Fanatic

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
Re: Tele Vue is Cheap! new [Re: Aquarist]
      #6623053 - 07/08/14 09:48 AM

Quote:

However, with regards to spending: once you are "equipped" in this hobby, you can enjoy it without having to spend more. Most of us do, but some of us simply use what we have and enjoy doing so.

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

#6623057 - 07/08/14 09:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

"You get what you pay for" is a great saying and Televue makes a product that is excellent and they stand behind them for the life of the product. Worth every cent in my opinion!

Agree! I believe that TeleVue gives good value for the money. For people on a tight budget, Explore Scientific and other brands offer good options. I decided several years ago to move up and buy premium eyepieces. I added a few every few months. When I wanted a different eyepiece in the same focal length, I sold it, and bought a new one. We are fortunate to have so many good eyepiece choices spread across the price spectrum.

Given the rather active market for eyepieces, it is not all that difficult to sell and "buy upwards". Still, one does not have to do so.

cloud_cover
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/17/10

Loc: Restaurant at the End of the U...
      #6623222 - 07/08/14 11:15 AM

I have a slightly different view on the "cheapness" of a Televue:
When I travel with my 5" Mak (1335mm focal length), I often bring only an Ethos 13 with a GSO 2X Barlow. This gives me (approximately) 100x at 1deg TFOV, 150x at 0.75deg TFOV and 200x at 0.5deg TFOV. This to me is pretty much all I need since the scope itself has a maximum FOV of about 1deg and a 1.25" focuser (won't come to focus with a 2" diagonal) so going any wider is not useful. Now $630 is not cheap for a single EP + Barlow, by any standards, but instead of carrying a selection of lesser eyepieces, the 1 Ethos and a Barlow has fufilled my need for virtually any other eyepiece and provides a good a view as any I can expect

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
Re: Tele Vue is Cheap! new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6623292 - 07/08/14 11:50 AM

Quote:

"You get what you pay for" is the worst saying ever. Think about it. In one instance I ordered an item, but the company had gone bankrupt, so I never received it. Did I get what I paid for? No, I did not. You do not always get what you pay for. QED

Few sayings fit every instance; it may be more accurate to say you don't get what you don't pay for.

Happy Birthday, BTW.

NHRob
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/27/04

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Tele Vue is Cheap! new [Re: Paul G]
      #6623310 - 07/08/14 12:00 PM

You sometimes get what you pay for but ... you never get what you don't pay for!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Tele Vue is Cheap! new [Re: Paul G]
      #6623374 - 07/08/14 12:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Few sayings fit every instance; it may be more accurate to say you don't get what you don't pay for.

Happy Birthday, BTW.

Thanks!

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Tele Vue is Cheap! new [Re: NHRob]
      #6623381 - 07/08/14 12:46 PM

Quote:

You sometimes get what you pay for but ... you never get what you don't pay for!

Hmmm... I can think of some items that are gotten without payment: stolen goods, gifts, shipments to the wrong address, welfare, free advice.

Mike

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #6623393 - 07/08/14 12:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm... I can think of some items that are gotten without payment: stolen goods, gifts, shipments to the wrong address, welfare, free advice.

Mike

...and all of these cost somebody (or all of us) something.......

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Tele Vue is Cheap! new [Re: csrlice12]
      #6623533 - 07/08/14 02:04 PM

Yes, of course. But especially beware of that last item: free advice!

Mike

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

#6623681 - 07/08/14 03:39 PM

In the real world (not the astronomy world) I never give free advice.

gnowellsct
Postmaster

Reged: 06/24/09

#6624240 - 07/08/14 09:40 PM

I bought my FS128 for $3200 (around 2005 or 2006) and sold it for $2600 (and that was a very favorable price to a very good friend, not due to a defect of any kind). That works out to about $60 a year for one of the finest refractors out there.

The same applies to eyepieces....

Greg N

howard929

Reged: 01/02/11

Loc: Low End of High Ground
      #6624710 - 07/09/14 07:20 AM

Quote:

Agree! I believe that TeleVue gives good value for the money. For people on a tight budget, Explore Scientific and other brands offer good options.

Likely as not, but it doesn't always have to be about the money. Some people can afford whatever but just refuse to drink the Cool Aide.

alnitak22
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/12/11

Re: Tele Vue is Cheap! new [Re: howard929]
      #6624716 - 07/09/14 07:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Agree! I believe that TeleVue gives good value for the money. For people on a tight budget, Explore Scientific and other brands offer good options.

Likely as not, but it doesn't always have to be about the money. Some people can afford whatever but just refuse to drink the Cool Aide.

And some people who can afford whatever think Dewar's tastes just as good as 18 yr old Macallan. So there you go.

howard929

Reged: 01/02/11

Loc: Low End of High Ground
Re: Tele Vue is Cheap! new [Re: alnitak22]
      #6624723 - 07/09/14 07:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And some people who can afford whatever think Dewar's tastes just as good as 18 yr old Macallan. So there you go.

Alluding to people of perceived poor tastes to justify spending "whatever" is shallow.

precaud
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/05/12

Loc: north central New Mexico
Re: Tele Vue is Cheap! new [Re: howard929]
      #6624733 - 07/09/14 07:53 AM

This whole topic is shallow, if you ask me...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1683

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics