Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Solar System Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
rumples riot
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/01/04

Loc: South Australia
Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: Kokatha man]
      #5069465 - 02/12/12 07:26 PM Attachment (117 downloads)

Just tried this and this is my assessment. Fast processing, sharper detail and better contrast just with basic setting. I will present with two images one with Registax5 and one with AS. If this is anything to go by I will be using AS in the future.

It gets my thumbs up.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rumples riot
Carpal Tunnel

Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: rumples riot]
      #5069467 - 02/12/12 07:27 PM Attachment (93 downloads)

now the one with Reg5

Freddy WILLEMS
Postmaster

Reged: 11/13/05

Loc: Hawaii, Honolulu
      #5069531 - 02/12/12 08:15 PM

Hi Paul what size of alignment box did you use ?
Did you use drizzle ??

rumples riot
Carpal Tunnel

Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: Freddy WILLEMS]
      #5069534 - 02/12/12 08:16 PM

Did not use drizzle and the alignment box was 150.

Sunspot
Postmaster

Reged: 03/15/05

Loc: Surprise, AZ
      #5069564 - 02/12/12 08:36 PM

Paul,

Just wait until you try it on Mars. I find the improvement better than when I use it on Jupiter. Of course I was using smaller AP's...might have to experiment with the larger ones. One thing I definitely see is the the images are less grainy than with Reg.

Paul

rumples riot
Carpal Tunnel

Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: Sunspot]
      #5069604 - 02/12/12 09:03 PM

Hi Paul,

yes hoping to get some data on Mars this week, gully winds have been killing any chance of seeing though.

GreatGigInTheSky
sage

Reged: 02/06/11

Loc: Santa Clara, California
      #5069861 - 02/13/12 01:15 AM

I just want to report that AS2 works flawlessly under Wine in Linux, and to say thanks, Emil. This is great stuff.

Freddy WILLEMS
Postmaster

Reged: 11/13/05

Loc: Hawaii, Honolulu
Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: Mert]
      #5071309 - 02/13/12 10:26 PM

Hi Emil
It seems that it works great now.
Used the 150 alignment boxes (what you and Paul suggested) and no problem even drizzle with those 150 size boxes came out well !!

MvZ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/03/07

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: Freddy WILLEMS]
      #5071649 - 02/14/12 07:37 AM

Awesome

Kokatha man
Postmaster

Reged: 09/13/09

Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...
Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: MvZ]
      #5072733 - 02/14/12 08:28 PM Attachment (65 downloads)

.....now that you've drawn my attention more fully to the frames/scrollbar etc in your response to my current thread Emil, I've become a little confused by what I'm seeing/interpreting there - here's a screenshot where I selected 1200 frames from one of the poorer avi's (it was late in the night amd showed a different face to Mars)

As I read it from both the position of the scrollbar slider and the info in the planet image window, as well as the graph in the other (left hand) window, I'm only looking at a stack of 739 ot 9012 instead of the 1200 I wanted/thought I was specifying....?

What's happening here.....maybe I was blissfully ignorant in all the other processes but wasn't actually getting what I thought re frame stack numbers....?

Sunspot
Postmaster

#5072752 - 02/14/12 08:41 PM

I was interpreting the "Output Images" setting checked to indicate that 1200 frames are being stacked. At least I was hoping that, so I'm interested in the answer as well.

Paul

Kokatha man
Postmaster

#5072755 - 02/14/12 08:42 PM Attachment (55 downloads)

ps: my gut reaction is that I'm not interpreting the graph & figures correctly (something to do with where it's selecting all the optimum frames in the whole list..? ) because here's the R6 wavelets application window, and with my standard values I apply here this amount of denoise in slider #1 would not be enough for only 700-odd frames stacked.....

Kokatha man
Postmaster

#5072770 - 02/14/12 08:53 PM Attachment (51 downloads)

.....and for completeness re this question, here's the other display in AS!2 by clicking to display the other graph view display.....

MvZ
Carpal Tunnel

#5072813 - 02/14/12 09:19 PM

The slider and selected frame have absolute no influence on the amount of frames stacked or anything else for that matter (e.g. you cannot select a reference frame manually as you can in Registax 6, as AS!2 makes its own reference frame). It is only to preview the frames. The actual amount of frames that will be stacked, is the number you entered in the box (or the percentage you entered in the box below that).

Try placing the APs more towards the center of Mars, and also add an additional AP or two right around the center of Mars (there is plenty of detail there to track on, so placing some additional APs near edges/corners of contrast areas makes sense). Also the extra APs around the poles seems a bit too small to add anything, so I would make those a bit bigger.

One more tip: crop the planet a bit more, it should make processing a bit faster (and it makes sure the program doesn't use that much RAM memory)

And another one for free: try using the edge quality estimator and compare the resulting stack to the gradient quality estimator stack. It often works nicely on Mars, and you might get a bit more sharpness.
Now I'm off to bed....

Edited by MvZ (02/14/12 09:22 PM)

Kokatha man
Postmaster

#5072838 - 02/14/12 09:36 PM

.....thanks for takng this time Emil - and I appreciate we're on different sides of the planet re sleep etc..!

I was tending towards the response you gave, and yes, I thought about placing a couple in the middle and also increasing the size around the NPC and Hellas basin areas.....and another "yes" for edge quality estimation processing.....when I put the thread together for these 3 quite good nights of imaging I'll bundle the lot into this....!

Thanks once again for this software and your assistance - greatly apreciated....!

Kokatha man
Postmaster

#5072897 - 02/14/12 10:11 PM Attachment (64 downloads)

.....just for others following this particular aspect, here's one of the above R6 Mars wavelets (same values) using larger AP's centred more within the panet's disk and using slightly larger ones at the poles.....as Emil suggested, but now 1500 frames.

I'll work back through and (eventually!) post these nights' images of Mars and Saturn with both MAP's setups and results as well as "Edge" qualitor estimator.....I didn't bother about reducing the size of the whole box as my 8-thread machine makes mincemeat of the processing speeds anyway....!

GreatGigInTheSky
sage

Reged: 02/06/11

Loc: Santa Clara, California
      #5077335 - 02/17/12 04:19 PM

One (small) frustration I'm having with the program: I'm finding it impossible to select certain image sizes with the width/height sliders. It would be great if there were text boxes where the numbers could be entered as well as the sliders...

Sunspot
Postmaster

Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: GreatGigInTheSky]
      #5077544 - 02/17/12 07:00 PM

I'd second that suggestion.

Paul

Quote:

One (small) frustration I'm having with the program: I'm finding it impossible to select certain image sizes with the width/height sliders. It would be great if there were text boxes where the numbers could be entered as well as the sliders...

MvZ
Carpal Tunnel

Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: Sunspot]
      #5077610 - 02/17/12 07:55 PM

I'll look into that. In the meantime - and perhaps it's already good enough - if you click on the sliders, you can then use the left and right arrow keys to move the slider. It will be much more accurate then.

Once I found a particular image size that I'm going to use more often, I simply click the 'remember' checkbox, and each following set of images will be cropped to the remembered dimensions.

Sunspot
Postmaster

#5077695 - 02/17/12 09:07 PM

That certainly makes it much easier to set an image size. Thanks for the tip.

Paul

Quote:

I'll look into that. In the meantime - and perhaps it's already good enough - if you click on the sliders, you can then use the left and right arrow keys to move the slider. It will be much more accurate then.

Once I found a particular image size that I'm going to use more often, I simply click the 'remember' checkbox, and each following set of images will be cropped to the remembered dimensions.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19962

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics