Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Solar System Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
Space Cowboy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/30/10

Loc: Cheshire, UK
Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: MvZ]
      #5136604 - 03/23/12 02:38 AM

Cheers Emil! I must be going blind, did not see that option.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
claytonbigwood
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Adelaide, South Australia
Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: Space Cowboy]
      #5136656 - 03/23/12 06:01 AM

Quote:

I'm using castrator version 0.0.1.9. Castrator frees up so much space on my hard drive don't want to lose that option.

I'm guessing that you delete your originals after you "Castrate" them??
I find that compressing the files (ZIP or like) saves me extra space as well, typically 40% on a Castrated file.
I archive all my data this way now

Space Cowboy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/30/10

Loc: Cheshire, UK
Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: claytonbigwood]
      #5136751 - 03/23/12 08:02 AM

Thanks Rob I do need to get on top of things.I tend to delete the poor stuff but zipping the good data would help for sure. Guess I've been too lazy to do that.

JoeR
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Columbus, OH
Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: Space Cowboy]
      #5140612 - 03/25/12 02:11 PM

AutoStakkert does not work for me. I open the AVI and Analyze. Then every time I hit 3) Stack nothing happens. It keeps trying to bring up the image window or whatever it is called. It would help if there was a tutorial on how to use this.

MvZ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/03/07

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: JoeR]
      #5141014 - 03/25/12 06:42 PM

Version 2.1.0.5 is now online ( www.autostakkert.com )

- Fixed when switching to Single AP mode, AS!2 would not stack automatically (you had to manually place an AP first).
- Maximum size of the frame is set to 3000×2000, internal frame size limitations have been removed. Use the INI-file to further increase the maximum image size (the INI-file contains a maxWidth and maxHeight value).
- Made edge quality estimator more robust still. It will now still provide a meaningful quality estimator whenever it encounters missing information.
- Fixed bug in detecting horizontal and vertical artefacts, causing random lockups after analysing.
- Fixed regression bug: failed to open any image files (fit, bmp, tif, jpg, etc.. it would all show there were no frames available).
- Fixed some typos.
- Fixed repeating “No buffering override” message… for real this time…

JoeR, I still haven't gotten around to writing a manual. I'll have more time later this week, perhaps in the meantime someone else can help you out? Have you looked at the first post in this thread? It should provide enough pointers to get you started. What kind of recordings are you trying to process (what is the target, how did you make the recordings)?

Edited by MvZ (03/25/12 06:44 PM)

Sunspot
Postmaster

Reged: 03/15/05

Loc: Surprise, AZ
      #5141084 - 03/25/12 07:40 PM

Emil,

Got it. Are we still in beta with this release?

Paul

MvZ
Carpal Tunnel

Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: Sunspot]
      #5141723 - 03/26/12 08:07 AM

I think the software will forever be in beta . I tend to break things whenever I make changes to it, so it probably isn't a good idea to call it stable.

But I do think the current version (2.1.0.5) is definately an improvement over the last one (2.1.0.0), so I suggest to update. Nothing has changed in aligning/stacking routines though, if I make such change that can really improve the image quality expect me to make a big deal out of it. Now I mainly fixed some issues with jpg/bmp/tifs/etc image files, and fixed the edge quality estimator.

Edited by MvZ (03/26/12 08:09 AM)

JoeR
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Columbus, OH
      #5141798 - 03/26/12 09:16 AM

Quote:

JoeR, I still haven't gotten around to writing a manual. I'll have more time later this week, perhaps in the meantime someone else can help you out? Have you looked at the first post in this thread? It should provide enough pointers to get you started. What kind of recordings are you trying to process (what is the target, how did you make the recordings)?

I've been using the solar guide on your site for help. I was able to process a Saturn AVI but my Venus AVI is stuck. It is about 3GB in size. To use AS!2 I have to convert the video twice. First converted to make it the correct 640x480, for some reason when it is recorded with IC Capture the AVI picture is stretched. Then it needs converted with Virtual Dub to be readable. Lots of codec error messages before I did this. I've tried Single and Multi point on Venus and still won't work.

Another issue is I'm using a Mac with Boot Camp so I am always having to reboot between Mac OS X and Win 7 to make a SS image and process it in PS5. Also I have very limited drive space on the Windows partition. The Mac volumes are read only when botted in Win 7 so I can't write AVIs to them.

MvZ
Carpal Tunnel

Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: JoeR]
      #5141941 - 03/26/12 10:40 AM

What kind of codec do you use for recording? Could you post a screenshot of AS!2 when it's stuck and fails to load an avi you made?

Perhaps you could send me the smallest possible avi of Venus that consistently fails to process in AS!2?

LiamMcD

Reged: 04/27/10

Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa
      #5150140 - 03/31/12 12:49 PM

Hi Emil

Just a note to say Thank You! Darryl put me onto AS!2 and I'm a convert

Clear skies
Liam

AFAdrenaline
sage

Reged: 12/08/10

Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: LiamMcD]
      #5160425 - 04/07/12 09:49 AM

Hey Emil,

I have to say I love AS2!! Hands down my favorite stacking program for Planetary AP!

Just one little bit of feedback/wishlist... I was batch processing 100 stacks of Jupiter w/ Io and Europa for an animation I was working on. How feasible would it be to have a function where it would apply "Auto AP" for each clip when batch processing? (Like something as simple as a little check box).

The next morning when I checked the data, I noticed that about halfway through, Io went from a nice tight circle to a fuzzy looking blob... It occurred to me after the fact that it must have drifted out the AP box that was selected in the first sequence. It wasn't a huge deal, as I just went back and put some extra APs along its expected path and reprocessed the bunch.

Anyways, again, thank you for such a wonderful product. I thought the first version was great and v2 is even better!

woodworkt
sage

Reged: 06/07/06

Loc: Northern Virginia
Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: AFAdrenaline]
      #5161924 - 04/08/12 10:15 AM

Quick question on Autostakkert... how do you open a sequence of TIFF file frames to work on them? The web page suggests that version 2 will take TIFF sequences, but the dialog box to open things doesn't show any of them, and only lists .AVI and .SER options as supported. Is there a trick I'm missing, or am I wrong about what it supports?

Really hope I can get it to do this; extracting frames to TIFFs seems more reliable in the Mac/IIDC to PC/stacking software conversion than most of the Quicktime MOV to AVI options.

Thanks,
--Ken T.

MvZ
Carpal Tunnel

Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: woodworkt]
      #5161990 - 04/08/12 11:12 AM

Thanks Liam, and Nick!

Nick, I'll think about that. I use the solution you came up with (placing the APs at the expected locations of the moon).

Ken, try dragging and dropping either a couple of TIF files, or an entire folder of TIFFs onto the main form of AS!2. If it doesn't work, send me some of the files by email, and I'll see what I can do.

Sunspot
Postmaster

Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: woodworkt]
      #5162058 - 04/08/12 12:00 PM

Ken,

I drag and drop tif (and bmp) files onto AS!2 all the time. You can drag and drop the folder, or do a mass select of the number of files you want and drop them on AS!2. Make sure you open the program first...

Paul

Sunspot
Postmaster

#5162062 - 04/08/12 12:04 PM

Emil,

Another thought I had. A lot of times I'm multitasking when running AS!2 and it's running behind other screens. Would it be too hard to have the icon on the toolbar blink when AS!2 is finished with a task? No big deal if not, but I thought I'd ask. I love that Registax does that.

Thanks!!
Paul

moxican
sage

Reged: 11/13/11

Loc: Toronto, ON
      #5172239 - 04/14/12 03:38 PM

I've read all over here several times that AS2 is updated to except BMP/TIF .... image files. However I am unable to open anything else with it but AVIs. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I tried drag and drop, open, nothing works.
Besides this it is a great program in some ways I found it to be better then R6.

Sunspot
Postmaster

Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: moxican]
      #5172248 - 04/14/12 03:45 PM

I use bmp files almost exclusively with no problems. To make sure we are doing the same thing, I open AS!2 first, then select the bmp files I want and drag them onto the AS!2 open screen. You can also drag the folder onto the open program as well if you want to process all the bmp files in the folder.

HTH.
Paul

moxican
sage

Reged: 11/13/11

Loc: Toronto, ON
      #5172270 - 04/14/12 04:00 PM

Ohh ok now I got it. Here is what I was mising. To drag and drop you need to open my computer (or any file explorer) highlight there and drag and drop to AS2 from THERE. I tried to drag and drop from AS2 OPEN menu.
Thanks guys

MvZ
Carpal Tunnel

Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: moxican]
      #5174189 - 04/15/12 06:44 PM

Just a quick note for all those out their stacking RGB frames and wondering why the stacking stage takes a lot longer then the aligning stage when using multiple alignments: this is the result of some extremely inefficient programming (let's just call it a bug ).

Expect a fix at the end of the week which will greatly increase the stacking speed of all RGB images (avis/bmps/jpgs/etc).

Paul, I'll look into that. If it's something that is easy to implement, I might include it in the next update.

Edited by MvZ (04/15/12 06:45 PM)

Kokatha man
Postmaster

Reged: 09/13/09

Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...
      #5174365 - 04/15/12 08:49 PM

It wasn't that hard to live with Emil, but I did notice that stacking took quite a while when using AS!2 on the old duo-core home pc!

I look forward to the next update of your great program!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18606

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics