Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Solar System Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
Tharsis

Reged: 10/04/11

Loc: Almería, Spain.
Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: Kokatha man]
      #5193572 - 04/27/12 03:00 PM

I made a little tutorial for spanish community(with your permission):

http://www.astronomo.org/foro/index.php?topic=8335.0

http://www.espacioprofundo.com.ar/foros/about20779.html

http://www.latinquasar.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=61&topic=10167.msg100345#msg100345

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MvZ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/03/07

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: Tharsis]
      #5396154 - 08/31/12 06:49 AM

New september release (planned for september 22)

List of changes:

Performance
- Both creating a reference frame and aligning the images will be about twice as fast as in 2.1.0.5.
- Stacking phase of monochrome images with no drizzling is more than 2 times faster. The stacking times of monochrome drizzling are not affected (more difficult to optimize that code, but I'll be working on it).
- RGB color file stacking received a performance boost (have not measured it)
- Several other smaller performance increases.

Fixes:
- Flat field images now working correctly
- Increased FIT support
- Increased SER support (both little and big endian formats are now correctly read)
- Drag & drop of all folders of valid images files now works correctly
- Support some deformed avis from WinJupos (problem of AS!2, not WinJupos)
- Increased AVI file support (some Y800 and RGB avi files failed to open because the indexing of the frames was relative instead of absolute)
- FITs will be read from bottom right to top left. This should be the default order for the data in these images. If you find your fit images are now displayed upside down, contact the author of the capturing software (and let me know as well )
- Fixed image offset not being applied for color recordings
- Several smaller bugfixes

New features
- Copy bitmap version of current frame to clipboard using Ctrl + C (Ctrl + shift + C will include reference rectangles). The frame will be centered according to currently selected image stabiliser.
- More frames can be used for the reference frame.
- Automatically send stacks to Registax or Photoshop after stacking (really neat, it allows you to preview the stack or start processing right away).
- Native support for MJPEG files (and very fast). I still don't like lossy codecs, but if you already have the files and want to process them directly in AS!2, you can do so now.
- Multiple stacks in MAP mode now supported (you can again create up to 8 different stacksizes in just one single run)

More to come (manually disabling frames, custom filenaming, etc)

Edited by MvZ (08/31/12 07:26 AM)

Kokatha man
Postmaster

Reged: 09/13/09

Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...
Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: MvZ]
      #5396177 - 08/31/12 07:12 AM

Hmmm - sounds like AS! will go like an absolute rocket in the new version, not that the i7 isn't uber-fast with AS!2 already!

As for disabling frames I guess that's good but as I've said in a couple of my threads I'm finding AS!2 doesn't seem to worry about images bouncing in and out of the sensor boundaries one iota.....last week the winds were incredible and Mars shot around like a pinball, occassionally disappearing offscreen - but it didn't seem to faze AutoStakkert, something I'd noticed in earlier situations also..!

Space Cowboy
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/30/10

Loc: Cheshire, UK
Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: Kokatha man]
      #5396180 - 08/31/12 07:16 AM

Sounds incredible! Twice as fast......WOW! Its already twice as fast as anything else at this rate we will be processing the images in between capturing the avis!

SteveRosenow
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/10/12

Loc: Shelton, Washington
Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: Space Cowboy]
      #5396183 - 08/31/12 07:20 AM

Any chance there'll be support for all AVI codecs? I cannot get any of my AVIs to load at all (MOVs converted to AVI's using conversion software)

I have the same problem with other stacking programs... Have had it since I upgraded processing equipment.

MvZ
Carpal Tunnel

Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: SteveRosenow]
      #5396190 - 08/31/12 07:34 AM

Hi Steve, I find it really difficult to add directshow support in my project. At the moment the handling of video files is all written by hand, which is pretty fast and works just the way I like it, but it does not support a lot of different formats.

What kind of conversion software are you using, and which AVI codec have you selected?

ZielkeNightsky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/06

Loc: Denmark
      #5396262 - 08/31/12 08:58 AM

Great news Emil

Sunspot
Postmaster

Reged: 03/15/05

Loc: Surprise, AZ
      #5396425 - 08/31/12 10:48 AM

Emil,

Looking forward to working with it. The part about sending stacks to Registax/Photoshop sounds exciting. Talk about a time saver.

Paul

SteveRosenow
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/10/12

Loc: Shelton, Washington
      #5396690 - 08/31/12 12:58 PM

Quote:

Hi Steve, I find it really difficult to add directshow support in my project. At the moment the handling of video files is all written by hand, which is pretty fast and works just the way I like it, but it does not support a lot of different formats.

What kind of conversion software are you using, and which AVI codec have you selected?

The conversion software I use is Pazera Free MOV-to-AVI converter. The codecs I normally select are Motion JPEG, H264-MPEG4, Divx3 Low Motion and HuffYUV lossless.

I have several Jupiter vids I'd like to convert and stack, but no program supports those codecs nor the ability to stack directly from MOV format.

zAmbonii
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/19/08

Loc: Ypsilanti, MI
Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: SteveRosenow]
      #5396781 - 08/31/12 01:50 PM

If anything I would just *LOVE* for HuffYUV support.

When I capture around 3500 frames 640x480 using HuffYUV compression with K3CCDTools the file weighs in at about 465MB. Capturing the same amount of frames uncompressed is a whopping 2.04GB.

I literally heard my hard drive screaming for help when I had to re-encode the videos uncompressed just to use AS2!

MvZ
Carpal Tunnel

Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: zAmbonii]
      #5396957 - 08/31/12 04:02 PM

Could you send me a huffyuv sample?

Steve, could you send me an mjpeg sample video?

AS!2 will work with uncompressed videos, so if you can select that during converting it should work fine (if you are going to use another lossy codec to convert your MOV, then you will lose details again, so that is not recommended). The other option would be to let virtualdub recode one of the other formats (again using uncompressed formats. Make sure to select either rgb24 for color recordings, or y8 for grayscale recording).

AS!2 will only work with uncompressed formats (and the exception to this rule in the new version will be MJPEG. If huffyuv turns out to be easy to implement, I will also do that, but to be honest I think it will turn out to be too time consuming)

Edited by MvZ (08/31/12 04:25 PM)

zAmbonii
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/19/08

Loc: Ypsilanti, MI
      #5397328 - 08/31/12 09:05 PM

How long of a clip would you want? I'm out of town at the moment so it may be a couple of days.

One of the reasons why I have hesitated switching to using AS was the lack of HuffYUV support. R6 handles the files well, but it has gotten to the point where I was getting tired of seams in my R6 images. Really was a cr*pshoot in getting decent images. I honestly have had no problems at all with AS with MAP alignment.

Almost forgot, I could use the Lagarith codec. not sure if it would be easier to get to work. I just have been using HuffYUV because I had never heard of Lagarith loseless codec until recently.

Edited by zAmbonii (08/31/12 09:08 PM)

MvZ
Carpal Tunnel

Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: zAmbonii]
      #5400690 - 09/03/12 08:04 AM

Sorry for the delay.

The clip does not have to be long at all, 10 frames would be enough (the contents doesn't matter)

lcd1080
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/03/10

Loc: Maryland, USA
      #5400831 - 09/03/12 10:28 AM

Emil would it be possible to add a feature that permits viewing of .SER files as a full motion video? I know that one can move the slider in Registax and manually view the individual frames of the .SER file in motion but one can't review the video at a constant number of frames per second (at least I've never seen that feature). I'd like to do that because one could get a better idea of how good of a capture the .SER file is before deciding whether to process it in AS!2.

Thanks,
Pete

shawnhar
Postmaster

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
      #5413412 - 09/10/12 01:59 PM

Quote:

The other option would be to let virtualdub recode one of the other formats (again using uncompressed formats. Make sure to select either rgb24 for color recordings, or y8 for grayscale recording).

Can someone please help me figure out what I am doing wrong? I am trying to convert a vid made with EOS Mov Rec to an uncompressed avi using Virtualdub64 so I can try AutoStakkert but all I get are horrible onion rings when I apply wavelets, the video does this in AS2 and Registax.
I have set the default color depth to RGB 24 in both the decompression and output, tried auto detect, that didn't work either. Compression set to Uncompressed.
I can stack the original avi in Registax and it has no onion rings, just seams, that's why I wanted to try this program.
Am I missing something? Just "Save as AVI" right?

MvZ
Carpal Tunnel

Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: shawnhar]
      #5414666 - 09/11/12 06:55 AM

First of all, I often have trouble with VirtualDub64, so I just stick with the 32-bit version (1.9.11).

- open the video
- under video select full processing mode
- under video select compression, and then select (Uncompressed RGB/YCbCr)
- under video select video color depth. Set the decompression format to Autoselect, and set the output format to either Luminance only Y8 for black and white camera's, or 24 bit RGB (888) for color recordings.
- under file select save as avi, and give it an appropriate name (add Y8 or RGB to the filename for example).

You should be able to open these files in AutoStakkert!2, regardless of any codecs you have installed on your system.

Please let me know how this goes. If it doesn't work, send me a sample that fails to open (you can actually select and cut out a range of frames using virtualdub using the slider and the dark half-arrow icons at the bottom of the screen. Set a start and end point, and the selection turns blue. If you now save to avi, only the selection is saved. If this file doesn't work in AS!2, you can send it to me, as it will be much smaller than the full file).

shawnhar
Postmaster

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
      #5414853 - 09/11/12 09:55 AM Attachment (33 downloads)

Thank Emil!
I followed your instructions exactly and had the same result. The new avi's from Vdub will open, but s soon as the wavelets are applied ringing appears, as if the file is 8 bit color.
I deleted the 64 bit Vdub version and downloaded the 32bit, the result is MUCH better, but there are still onion layers after stacking and applying wavelets.
I am sure it is a problem with my data or Vdub, and not AS!2.
I just cannot seem to git rid of the rings, is there another program I could try to convert to uncompressed avi?

Edited by shawnhar (09/11/12 10:26 AM)

MvZ
Carpal Tunnel

#5414928 - 09/11/12 10:47 AM

Could you perhaps send me the original avi file so I can have a look?

Pete, couldn't you just use the analyze function first and quickly browse through the quality sorted frames using the frame slider afterwards ? It doesn't take too long to do the frame analysis right?

I could also add some kind of play button next to the frame slider, wouldn't be too difficult.

MvZ
Carpal Tunnel

#5533702 - 11/22/12 10:36 AM

question from Tapio
Quote:

Emil,
[...]would like to know what method is used if you select the "sharpened stack option" ?
Wavelets ?

Nope, just some custom unsharp masking (and mixing in of the original stack).

Andy Taylor
Twisted, but in a Good Way

Reged: 09/24/08

Loc: Epsom - UK
      #5534004 - 11/22/12 02:00 PM

The "onion ring" artifacts are usually caused by underexposure.

When imaging Jupiter there is a brightness gradient at the limb. This causes wavelets to produce the onion rings.

Try bracketing with different gain levels. Back off the gain slightly when you just see the brightest areas loose detail.

Also, when shooting drop your gamma to minimum.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19824

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics