Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Solar System Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
MvZ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/03/07

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: Andy Taylor]
      #5534083 - 11/22/12 03:16 PM

> Also, when shooting drop your gamma to minimum.
If by minimum you mean neutral, then yes, but many camera's can go in either direction of the neutral setting.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Andy Taylor
Twisted, but in a Good Way

Reged: 09/24/08

Loc: Epsom - UK
Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: MvZ]
      #5534144 - 11/22/12 04:09 PM

Quote:

> Also, when shooting drop your gamma to minimum.
If by minimum you mean neutral, then yes, but many camera's can go in either direction of the neutral setting.

That's what I mean - depends on camera/driver though.

The "onion ring" effect is caused at time of capture - nothing to do with ASII.

Great software by the way.

Any chance of putting it all on one panel? There seems to be a lot of "white space" on the settings window. This could be compacted to give a full window for us with lesser screens.

I keep having to move/re-size the AP window...

MvZ
Carpal Tunnel

Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: Andy Taylor]
      #5534177 - 11/22/12 04:23 PM

Come up with a good layout (paint/photoshop using screenshots of the current layout), and I'll think about it

MvZ
Carpal Tunnel

#5539921 - 11/26/12 08:17 AM

Hello all. I just opened up a Yahoo discussion group for AutoStakkert!2

So if you have interesting new ideas that might be worthwhile to implement, or if you run into problems, have no idea which alignment point size to use or the quality settings, what the effect of drizzling is, or any other setting you donít know how to optimally use, you can post your questions in this yahoo group as well.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/autostakkert/

By the way, this does not mean I will ignore emails I receive any more than I already do, and I will also keep checking out this forum for questions, but I hope this new yahoo group turns out to be another valuable way of providing support to you.

Baron
sage

Reged: 11/23/12

Loc: Rome, Italy
      #5539937 - 11/26/12 08:41 AM

Quote:

New september release (planned for september 22)

news for this version?

dobsoscope
sage

Reged: 05/24/06

Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: Baron]
      #5539972 - 11/26/12 09:17 AM

well done Emil.!

I do not have a planetary cam yet, but would it be possible for anyone to send me RGB videos for me to try out please using this program?

thank you

Sunspot
Postmaster

Reged: 03/15/05

Loc: Surprise, AZ
      #5540006 - 11/26/12 09:54 AM

Excellent! I just joined.

Paul

Mert
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/31/05

Loc: Spain, Pamplona
Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: Sunspot]
      #5540762 - 11/26/12 06:20 PM

I'm with you Paul, also joined the group!

runrob

Reged: 04/02/10

#5552719 - 12/03/12 08:03 PM Attachment (41 downloads)

Hello Emil: A great program but all of a sudden I have had a glitch develop and have attached an imaging attempt of Jupiter. The program was running fine using WinXP on my laptop and then all of a sudden this problem developed in my results. Is this an operator error or something that has happend with the AutoStakkert 2 program? Bob R.

MvZ
Carpal Tunnel

Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: runrob]
      #5553384 - 12/04/12 06:13 AM

I'm hoping it is an operator error. I answered in the yahoo-group. For those interested I copied my answer here, feel free to add comments.

--------

As far as I know, the program does not simply become corrupt, so it must either be an operator error, an error in the avi recording, and/or a bug in the program that didn't show itself because the conditions weren't right for it.

My best guess would be to run AS!2 again on the Jupiter recording, but pay very close attention to the settings you used.

It is not often that seams like this occur, usually it comes down to just a couple of settings that influence the alignment of the different points. If AS!2 for whatever reason looses track of an AP, these things can happen. Another reason is, and this to me appears to be the most likely cause here, is that Jupiter ran off the screen and wasn't fully visible?

First, visually inspect the result of the image stabilization function. After selecting planet-mode for Jupiter, go to the frame view window and drag the slider at the top of the screen from left to right to see if the alignment is good.

Then crop the width and height down significantly to speed up the processing. Jupiter is relatively small compared to all the black space around it, there does not seem to be a reason to keep all this black space here. It might also help to reduce artifacts.

Set the quality estimator to 4, and do the same visual inspection after pressing the analyze button. Is there perhaps a deformed frame in front of the bunch?

If everything was fine up to now, start with placing just one relatively large AP (still in MAP mode) and see what the stacked result looks like. Any better? Try placing more APs (manually), for now just use an AP size at least half the size of Jupiter (width and height). You can use the left mouse button to place an AP, and the right to remove one. Using the mouse wheel will change the size of an AP that is going to be placed next.

If you followed these steps carefully, and it still doesn't look good, you should try and fine a way to upload the recording so we can have a look.

tonyb
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/27/05

Loc: WA, USA
Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: Sunspot]
      #5625877 - 01/16/13 09:44 AM

Are there any guidelines for how many # of frames to select or the % for stacking? I'm currently selecting # of frames above 50% in the quality estimator graph. Thx!

MvZ
Carpal Tunnel

Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: tonyb]
      #5625929 - 01/16/13 10:22 AM

The best guideline for now is to not follow any strict guidelines, but try things out. AS!2 is fast, so you can make use of that by playing around with different stack-sizes and processing methods. Use what works for your images, under those specific conditions with that particular image scale and camera settings.

There are a couple of other things to keep in mind:
- Stacking 50% vs 60% of the frames does not make a lot of difference. Doubling the amount of frames that you stack does however, and that is when you see big differences in the resulting stack. So 5% versus 10% is a huge difference. You'll probably not even notice 25% vs 30%.
- You can't really mess up an image if you include a couple of less sharp frames. 5% of blurry frames versus 95% sharp frames will still give you a 95% sharp result.
- Processing needs to be changed depending on the amount of frames you stack (or better: on what each particular stack can handle)
- Bright and high contrast recordings (often lunar and sun recordings) usually require less frames to stack. Jupiter is full of details, but the details have pretty low contrast, and are thus easily lost in noise. So for Jupiter you normally need a lot of frames, unless you have loads of signal to work with.

The green quality graph MIGHT help a little bit, unless there is one really good or really poor frame which will bias the graph (so then the 50% line is not really useful). The grey quality line is probably a bit more indicative: if it is pretty much constant throughout the recording, never really going up or down for longer amounts of time and without a rising or slowing trend: you can probably stack a lot of frames.

But the most important thing is to try things out a lot, look at the frames, and carefully process and compare results. Play around with it. You'll probably come to some kind of agreement for each target you image. I pretty much always stack 60% of my Jupiter frames taken with the 10" telescope. With the 16" I also played around with less frames, like 30-40%. For solar recordings I only stack 150 frames (because I always worked with really low noise recordings and I know that this is about the lowest amount of frames I can stack when no matter what processing I throw at them, I get clean results).

Guidelines usually lead to sub-optimal results, especially when things change (different camera, different settings, transparency, etc etc...)

Edited by MvZ (01/16/13 10:27 AM)

tonyb
professor emeritus

#5626032 - 01/16/13 11:21 AM

Many thanks - great information.
Another question is alignment point selection - if I understand the tutorial on the AutoStakkert site, it is best to select alignment points away from Jupiter's edge. the screenshot in the tutorial shows automatic aligment points with several points right on Jupiter's edge however.

MvZ
Carpal Tunnel

#5626049 - 01/16/13 11:44 AM

That is correct. I think the image is a bit misleading. It's not like it will go wrong if you place them like that, but the chance that it goes wrong is much higher than if you manually place the APs away from the edges.

I should probably replace the image.

tonyb
professor emeritus

#5626064 - 01/16/13 11:56 AM

Many thanks and yes it might make sense to replace the image and show manually placed APs in that Jupiter example. Thanks again.

tonyb
professor emeritus

#5626187 - 01/16/13 01:20 PM

One trick I did to remove all the edge APs is to raise the Min Bright. Thx.

MvZ
Carpal Tunnel

#5641408 - 01/24/13 08:23 PM

So, now we might be getting somewhere. For all of you wanting to test out an alpha version(!) of AutoStakkert!2 which has some cool new features, keep reading.

I performed a little trick in AutoStakkert!2 by adding support for FFmpeg, which in turn can read pretty much any video file you throw at it. It is a trick, because it converts these files to something AutoStakkert!2 can read.

It does this completely automatically, so there is no user interaction required.

After running (and closing) AutoStakkert!2 once, in the INI file you will find the following line somewhere under [input]:
FFmpegFiles=mov mpg mpeg mkv mp4 wmv avi

This means it will automatically convert mov, mpg, mpeg, mkv, mp4 and wmv files to a readable AVI. If you open an AVI file that it can't read on its own, AS!2 will automatically convert it (it quietely tries to read it before doing any conversion). Again, no interaction is needed. If you don't want AS!2 to convert any of these files (e.g. compressed avis), simply remove the extension from the FFmpegFiles line.

!This is no excuse to start using compressed video for your recordings. Lossy compression is bad! If you have the option to record uncompressed video (or perhaps lossless compressed video, if you really want to), then you should keep doing that, as that will give you better results!

When compressing:
- It will keep both the original file AND add an extra file with the added extension '.avi'. So if the original file was named 'Jupiter.mov' the new file will be named 'Jupiter.mov.avi'.
- The '.avi' file is probably huge. You can throw it away manually if you want to (after it is not open in AS!2 anymore), and only keep the original for storage purposes. However, that means that the next time AS!2 opens the unreadable file it has to convert it again (which takes some time).
- The file is huge for a reason: it is uncompressed. You DO NOT want to perform lossy compression on a file that was already compressed before. Sometimes software will first transform a .mov into a compressed .avi, and then you need virtual dub to transform it into an uncompressed avi for AS!2 to be able to read it. That first step of performing lossy compression on an already compressed file means that the quality will be (much) lower than the .mov file directly transformed to an uncompressed .avi file.
- Whenever you tell AutoStakkert!2 to either open the original 'Jupiter.mov' when there already is a 'Jupiter.mov.avi' it will not convert the file again, but simply open the '.avi'
- If you try to open both files, it will be smart and just open the '.avi'
- If you convert an unreadable .avi because it was compressed using a codec AS!2 didn't know about, it will create an '.avi.avi' file. Say you try to open Jupiter.avi which was encoded with the xvid codec, then it will create the file Jupiter.avi.avi which is uncompressed and can be read by AS!2.
- and you guessed it: if you open both the Jupiter.avi.avi and Jupiter.avi file, it will be smart and only open Jupiter.avi.avi.
- Conversion is done BEFORE batch processing in AS!2. So if you open 10 files it will convert them all!
- Having avi in the FFmpegFiles list means it will check each and every AVI file you throw at it. This might a) make things rather slow and b) if there are invalid files it will try to convert them no matter how 'bad' they are. This might not be what you want, so remove 'avi' from FFmpegFiles if you want to keep things the way they were.

Conversion is done using the command line tool of FFmpeg. You will see a window pop up when it is working on converting the file. FFmpeg supports LOADS of file formats, more than I added in the FFmpegFiles list. If you need more files, just add the extension to the list. ffmpeg.exe is rather big (because it is a standalone tool that supports MANY codecs), so if you are not interested in any of what I just wrote, please just download the smaller zip file. You could also download a separate windows .exe version of FFmpeg if you want, it should probably work just fine. The version of FFmpeg I included is from January 2013.

Whenever I said 'will' anywhere above I really do mean 'should'. The software is ALPHA, which means it is not stable, hardly tested and I mess with features a lot. If you are not interested in any of the (many) features implemented so far, please do stay away from the alpha/beta software. If however you are interested and want to give it a go, I ask you that you report back on any problems you might encounter. That way I can try and fix things (and again, this is alpha, try to be patient).

And finally the download link:
http://www.astrokraai.nl/software/latest.html
(browse trough the list of changes to get an idea of what I changed since 2.1.0.5, the latest official stable release).

Good night,

Freddy WILLEMS
Postmaster

Reged: 11/13/05

Loc: Hawaii, Honolulu
      #5641418 - 01/24/13 08:34 PM

Link does not seem to work for me Emil.

MvZ
Carpal Tunnel

Re: AutoStakkert! 2 new [Re: Freddy WILLEMS]
      #5641438 - 01/24/13 08:43 PM

Congratulations Freddy, you just found the first bug. The link to the download page contained a typo

Edited by MvZ (01/24/13 08:44 PM)

Freddy WILLEMS
Postmaster

Reged: 11/13/05

Loc: Hawaii, Honolulu
      #5641452 - 01/24/13 08:48 PM

Will try it Emil, and a big thanks for putting this all together again for us demanding imagers..

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20053

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics