Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Solar System Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
shawnhar
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Re: I observed an explosion on Jupiter this morning! new [Re: Sunspot]
      #5418986 - 09/13/12 11:25 AM

Beyond the fact that people know the fella that made the video, there is only like an hour between the time the post was made here about the observation and the time the video was posted on Flikr.... It is unreasonable to think it could have been faked that fast.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
siriusc
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/03/07

Loc: Racine, WI
Re: I observed an explosion on Jupiter this morning! new [Re: shawnhar]
      #5419051 - 09/13/12 12:09 PM

Hi George:

George Hall and I have been emailing each other since the day this event took place.

I take my hat off to you George. Without your love of the night sky and planetary imaging skills this Jovian explosion that I observed would never have made it past my eyes. Thanks to you, now the entire world has been able to witness and enjoy viewing it. I'm sure your video has helped inspire people both young and old to take an interest in astronomy and to look up at our magnificent night sky.

Enjoy the ride George, you definitely deserve it!!!

Best Regards and Clear Skies, Dan Petersen

Edited by siriusc (09/13/12 12:14 PM)

lcd1080
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/03/10

Loc: Maryland, USA
Re: I observed an explosion on Jupiter this morning! new [Re: siriusc]
      #5419230 - 09/13/12 01:38 PM

I believe that any difference between Dan's memory of the fireball location and George's actual image of that location can be reconciled through an appreciation of how quickly the fireball appeared and then disappeared in the Flickr video. If this event had lasted for 5 seconds and one were anticipating its occurrence it would be easier to form a memory and then write a note indicating the exact latitude and longitude of the impact area but the flash lasted for only a second and a half and was a totally unexpected event. Under those conditions a small variance in one's memory of the lat/long from from what is shown in an actual image is completely understandable, at least in my view. Recognition of an unexpected event takes a significant fraction of a second if not longer; during that time the mind is occupied with identification of what is happening more so than in forming a precise memory of where it's happening. That precise assessment of relative location occurs in the seconds following one's initial recognition.

Pete

ZielkeNightsky
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/01/06

Loc: Denmark
      #5419234 - 09/13/12 01:39 PM

Congrats on the observation Dan. It must be amazing to witness such an event at the EP.

Edited by ZielkeNightsky (09/13/12 03:50 PM)

siriusc
professor emeritus

Re: I observed an explosion on Jupiter this morning! new [Re: ZielkeNightsky]
      #5419444 - 09/13/12 03:45 PM

Hi Lars,

Yes, it was amazing! I can close my eyes right now and still see that tiny spot flaring up over Jupiter's morning limb, and the best part about it all is the video that keeps playing in my mind is in full color.

How is the weather in Denmark, nothing but severe clear I hope. You should have good views of Jupiter from there. Good luck imaging it this time around!

Best regards, Dan Petersen

Edited by siriusc (09/13/12 04:28 PM)

Bird
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/07/03

Loc: Murrumbateman, Australia
      #5419771 - 09/13/12 07:07 PM

Congrats again to both Dan and George, it's a memory that will stay with you forever.

I'm curious about how much coverage you each have of Jupiter, before and after the event that you each witnessed. George - can you tell us how much video coverage you have (say 5 mins before and after?), and have you scanned through all that footage looking for extra flashes? I'm sure you have, but if not - would be a very good idea.

Dan, same question to you - how much observation time did you have , say 5 mins before and after your observed flash?

It is extremely unlikely that there were two separate flashes, but we should look at the combined coverage to see if there was a window of opportunity.

cheers, Bird

Freddy WILLEMS
Postmaster

Reged: 11/13/05

Loc: Hawaii, Honolulu
Re: I observed an explosion on Jupiter this morning! new [Re: Bird]
      #5420485 - 09/14/12 06:51 AM

Congrats Dan, it looks like the Media wants your story !

ZielkeNightsky
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/01/06

Loc: Denmark
Re: I observed an explosion on Jupiter this morning! new [Re: Freddy WILLEMS]
      #5420557 - 09/14/12 08:39 AM

Dan, the weather here is really bad. I can't remember a year when it's been so cloudy and wet.

So that's why I'm at the moment is doing all my planetary work observing CN

siriusc
professor emeritus

Re: I observed an explosion on Jupiter this morning! new [Re: Freddy WILLEMS]
      #5421256 - 09/14/12 04:46 PM

Thanks Anthony and Freddy for your congratulations.

Yes Freddy, it has been interesting! A couple of minutes ago I just turned down another interview, this one was a TV reporter from KSTP in St. Paul, Minnesota. The chief editor of Sky & Telescope wanted an interview too, I just referred her to this forum post for information about my Jupiter impact observation. I didn't do anything to deserve to be put on TV or in a magazine. What does it say in the bible, The heavens declare the glory of God. He deserves the credit for everything that is up there. Each clear night I look up and enjoy the grandest show of all!

Best Regards, Dan Petersen

Edited by siriusc (09/15/12 01:19 PM)

Ziggy943
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/11/06

Loc: Utah
      #5422200 - 09/15/12 11:22 AM

My congrats also to both Dan and George. Next time please let it have an impact scar we can all enjoy.

IVM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/07/08

Loc: Western New York
      #5422654 - 09/15/12 05:16 PM Attachment (74 downloads)

Dan, what an exciting observation. Congratulations. Also, an excellent scope. I have one like that too. When you made your observation, did you also see the white spot in NEB with which the mark you placed on the image in your last post is partially overlapping? I am taking the liberty of indicating this spot with an arrow on an enlarged portion of your image here. (In the image the spot looks gray but in a large aperture in good seeing - such as in my 16 this Tuesday morning - it is bright white just like the smaller one to its upper right in the NEB.)

Bird
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/07/03

Loc: Murrumbateman, Australia
Re: I observed an explosion on Jupiter this morning! new [Re: IVM]
      #5422774 - 09/15/12 07:02 PM

IVM, the image that Dan has used here is a simulation from WinJupos, apart from the GRS I would not expect any of the features shown in this image to correspond to how Jupiter actually appears at the moment. Jupiter changes in major ways every few months.

I'm sure he used this image only to show the approximate (relative) location of the event that he witnessed, we can't take this image too literally.

Compare this image to the many other images being posted of Jupiter and you'll see this for yourself.

cheers, Bird

IVM
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: I observed an explosion on Jupiter this morning! new [Re: Bird]
      #5422815 - 09/15/12 07:29 PM

Bird, the position and size of the spot (some may prefer the more technical term "nodule") relative to GRS are where they are now - as I saw them visually just this week, on Tuesday morning and on Thursday morning. Otherwise I wouldn't be re-using this image to ask my question. As I said the large one is now visually white and not gray as in this image, but I can't tell if this is due to any real change since the image was taken or to the image processing and different spectral sensitivity of the camera relative to my eye. It is important to my question though that the large spot is (currently) visually bright white in a large telescope.

EDIT: I have looked at the current (this week's) images as you suggested. Those I saw did not represent the visual appearance of the two nodules very well - the size of the large one or even the fact that there are two close together. The image Dan used is in comparison correct apart from the insufficient brightness of the larger nodule.

WayneJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/20/09

Loc: West Chester, PA
      #5422914 - 09/15/12 08:39 PM

Quote:

EDIT: I have looked at the current (this week's) images as you suggested. Those I saw did not represent the visual appearance of the two nodules very well - the size of the large one or even the fact that there are two close together. The image Dan used is in comparison correct apart from the insufficient brightness of the larger nodule.

The image you're using as a "reference" is many years old (about 11 actually, as it is a texture created from a mosaic of Cassini images taken during its fly-by) and completely unrepresentative of Jupiter's present appearance. The spots in that image disappeared many years ago and new nodules have reformed, become streaks, and dissipated many times since then.

Here's an image showing a number of views of the region where the fireball was sighted (so they would include the region with the bright spots.)

and a link to the full-sized image

http://spaceweather.com/images2012/12sep12/nodebris.jpg

Finally, here is an excerpt from an email exchange I had with John Rogers, Jupiter Section Chair for the British Astronomical Association, this week on the subject of the bright spots in the NEB:

Quote:

(Regarding the bright spots) There were none until late August, then three were prominent in hi-res images on Aug.29, expanding into cute little rifts by Sep.1, but I haven't been following them since. Your message suggests that they are coming and going rather rapidly and perhaps proliferating. I think they represent the return of normal activity in the NEB as it settles down after the Revival, but only further obs'ns will tell, as Jupiter has not been in this situation for nearly a hundred years!

In other words, John's impression is that the white spots are the return to the normal activity in the NEB.

Regards,

Wayne

IVM
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: I observed an explosion on Jupiter this morning! new [Re: WayneJ]
      #5422954 - 09/15/12 09:05 PM

Thanks, Wayne. Indeed I see the difference now with the WinJupos image in the position and order of the spots, and these are excellent images that show the spots in question very well. The large spot I meant is visible in all your images and is on the meridian in the middle image, near the S edge of NEB. It it distinctly off-round, just like I saw it this week with my 16". The shape is important, cf. the fireball description.

So the question I had to Dan stands, with this better illustration. Was the large white spot in NEB within a few arcsec from the location of the flash (probably overlapping with it) seen during the observing session?

siriusc
professor emeritus

Re: I observed an explosion on Jupiter this morning! new [Re: Ziggy943]
      #5425543 - 09/17/12 02:20 PM

Hi Ziggy:

Thanks for the congratulations.

I see you own an Alvan Clark 9" refractor, awesome! We're driving over to Yerkes Observatory in a few days to view his (115 year old) 40 inch masterpiece!

Clear Skies, Dan

Edited by siriusc (09/17/12 03:27 PM)

siriusc
professor emeritus

#5425640 - 09/17/12 03:12 PM Attachment (78 downloads)

Thanks, IVM.

In answer to your question: There were "no" white spots observed in the southern regions of the NEB at the time of impact. The huge bright white spiral outbreak currently visible in this region was still lost inside Jupiter's dark morning haze. I captured this image saturday September 15th, at 11:22 UT, it shows the NEB spiral near Jupiter's CM and close to where the explosion occurred monday morning.

Cheers, Dan

P.S. I see it's snowing CO2 on Mars, how cool is that!

Edited by siriusc (09/20/12 11:42 AM)

IVM
scholastic sledgehammer

#5426188 - 09/17/12 08:38 PM

Dan, thank you for the detailed response. Since the position of the large white spiral ("nodule") is close to the flash you saw, and since the spiral as such was not visible at the time of the observation, do you consider it possible that a transient appearance of this spiral/nodule through the seeing was the flash you saw?

I heard there was some unfriendliness on the internet about your observation... That is a shame, and let me assure you I am not one of those people, whoever they might be. I am a visual observer greatly intrigued by what you saw and wanting more details about the observation. And that naturally includes how the other potentially relevant surface features looked, and what the seeing was like exactly, in terms of the steadiness of these relevant features. Hence the question; no other motive. Visually details usually appear abruptly with a momentary change in seeing, and depending on the exact seeing conditions and the length of the observation certain planet surface features may appear only once during the observing session. Hence the question I am asking above. I admire the precision with which you were able to pinpoint the location of the flash, by the way!

siriusc
professor emeritus

#5427351 - 09/18/12 12:58 PM

Hi IVM:

My local seeing on the morning of September 10th, was fluctuating between 7/10 and 9/10. When the explosion happened conditions were excellent, I was very fortunate and had a crystal clear view of this massive explosion. I used my binocular viewer working at a power of 400X, I could have doubled it to 800X. This setup along with an adjustable observing chair allows me to study a planet for up to three hours at a time. I've been observing the planet Jupiter for 38 years now and never viewed anything like this before, it left me speechless!

Cheers, Dan

IVM
scholastic sledgehammer

#5427835 - 09/18/12 05:05 PM

Thank you for this additional info, Dan. Keep watching that amazing planet!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 25057

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics