Lovely images Steve!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sfugardi
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/30/06

Loc: CT
Re: Jupiter f25 RGB 1/8/13 >> 12min total Re-do new [Re: BKBrown]
      #5617303 - 01/11/13 01:38 PM

Frank, Kevin, Brian, Stuart, Thanks! I have found that one of the keys is getting WinJupos avi times accurate. So I now start with an excel spreadsheet on the starting avi times of each color and run and add in 1/2 the capture time converting to UT and tenths as the reference. The other thing is to select alignment points on features only and not near the globe edges in AS2!, 80sec avi (2px smear) times are not too long which goes against the normal convention.

Regards,
Steve

Edited by sfugardi (01/11/13 01:40 PM)

Mike Phillips
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/06

Loc: Swift Creek, NC - 35.682 N, 78...
Re: Jupiter f25 RGB 1/8/13 >> 12min total Re-do new [Re: sfugardi]
      #5617436 - 01/11/13 03:09 PM

Hey Steve those photos are very well done. Nicely balanced in sharpness, brightness, color and contrast! TWO BIG THUMBS UP!!!

Mike

astrovienna
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/04/06

Loc: The NoVa White Zone
      #5617689 - 01/11/13 06:05 PM

Steve, how many align points are you using in AS2? I use 65 pixel boxes, which with a Jupiter ~400 pixels across gives around 80 APs. I haven't experimented much to see if other combinations work better.

Kevin

sfugardi
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/30/06

Loc: CT
Re: Jupiter f25 RGB 1/8/13 >> 12min total Re-do new [Re: astrovienna]
      #5618578 - 01/12/13 08:17 AM

Mike, thanks for the compliments! A few things I have learned last time out worth noting, to maximize the Flea frame rate:

1) Turn on FlyCap2 first and toggle the modes until the fps =120, then turn auto off, hit apply and recheck.
2) Open FC, toggle between 8bit and 16bit, back to 8bit to avoid potential diagonal lines.
3) Turn on Epherms to determine the desired image size, but turn OFF before capturing since this seems to affect the max fps for some reason.

Kevin, I used 20 120px alignment points picked automatically, then edge points unclicked, and the remaining manually selected avoiding edges and spreading evenly across the globe. This was recommended by Glenn and gives a nice overlap. I am not sure 20 is the ideal number but again it was Glenn's quantity. In theory, you should be able to pick the very top & bottom of the globe but I did not. If the AP size gets too smmall, I've noticed strange artifacts.

Regards,
Steve

DesertRat
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/18/06

Loc: Valley of the Sun
      #5619621 - 01/12/13 06:39 PM

Larger align boxes were recommended by Emil.

For my Jupiter images with a largish globe anywhere from 320-400 pixels across, I have used 20-48 align boxes.

In perfect seeing (!) it really does'nt matter, but who has that? As seeing gets a little dodgy, larger align boxes do work better. I've carefully compared magnified images created with both smaller and larger boxes and in no case did smaller provide a better result.

Everyone's data is different so experimentation is key. Its good AS!2 is so fast, it helps this experimentation greatly.

I've also had data sets that provided better results with fewer than 25% of the frames, and other data sets where better results were gained by 50% and more of the frames. There's no substuitute for trying all your options when you are going for every bit you can.

Glenn

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1599

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics