Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Solar System Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
pippo

Reged: 01/12/13

Loc: Paris (FR), Pantelleria (IT)
ASI 120MM versus QHY5L-II
      #5640200 - 01/24/13 08:50 AM

Did anyone compare the two cameras: ASI 120MM and QHY5L-II ?

http://www.zwoptical.com/eng/Cameras/ASI120/index.asp
http://qhyccd.com/en/left/page3/qhy5-ii-series/

They both use the same sensor MT9M034.

Beside presence of the ST4 port in the QHY5L-II and the different ergonomics, shall we expect the same performances for planetary imaging?

Edited by pippo (01/24/13 10:17 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PiotrM
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: Poland
Re: ASI 120MM versus QHY5L-II new [Re: pippo]
      #5640608 - 01/24/13 12:48 PM

ASI has better software support (is supported by FireCapture, while QHY5 not / not yet).

Artyom
journeyman

Reged: 01/25/13

Loc: Novokuznetsk, Russia
Re: ASI 120MM versus QHY5L-II new [Re: PiotrM]
      #5645914 - 01/27/13 11:53 AM

QHY5L-II will get a native WDM-driver to use with FireCapture or SharpCap soon (QHY5-II already have it). And as far as I know a bit later the camera will get a direct support in FireCapture.

pippo

Reged: 01/12/13

Loc: Paris (FR), Pantelleria (IT)
Re: ASI 120MM versus QHY5L-II new [Re: Artyom]
      #5651555 - 01/30/13 02:51 AM

no other opinion?

Is the the software the only difference?

Greg K.Administrator

Reged: 12/11/03

Loc: Clifton Park, NY
Re: ASI 120MM versus QHY5L-II new [Re: pippo]
      #5663710 - 02/05/13 02:49 PM

Good question - I'm considering getting one of these cameras but if I do I'll probably sell my Lodestar and use this as a guider instead. So the dilemma becomes better software vs. integrated ST4 port. I'd have to get a GPUSB to use with the ASI120MM.

Gary BEAL
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/10/03

Loc: New Zealand
Re: ASI 120MM versus QHY5L-II new [Re: Greg K.]
      #5664507 - 02/05/13 11:52 PM

Could you use Pulse Guiding to guide with? Reason I ask is that I did just that with my NEQ6/Lodestar as I felt the silly ST4 connection in the Lodestar was destined to give grief. Worked a treat, and no need for the GPUSB (which I have though).
Gary

CanaryMax

Reged: 07/11/08

Loc: Gran Canaria, Spain
Re: ASI 120MM versus QHY5L-II new [Re: Gary BEAL]
      #5664820 - 02/06/13 08:54 AM

The differences are minimal:

The QHY5LII as 1 1/4", can enter and change in the barlow maximum magnification. My powermate 5x with QHY5LII becomes a 4.3x to 5x.
Working at 320x240 QHY5LII has higher fps 200 vs 130. 320x240 in planetary rarely used, but for close binary stars is great to have more fps.
Autoguider port in QHY5LII.

The ZWO has more surface area and dissipates heat better.
The current advantage is undoubtedly ZWO able to use the firecapture.
The ZWO has more image formats to choose from.

I cant think of more differences, except these, price and accessories

Kim Miau
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/17/06

Loc: Malaysia
Re: ASI 120MM versus QHY5L-II new [Re: CanaryMax]
      #5665154 - 02/06/13 12:32 PM Attachment (190 downloads)

Quote:

The QHY5LII as 1 1/4", can enter and change in the barlow maximum magnification. My powermate 5x with QHY5LII becomes a 4.3x to 5x.
Working at 320x240 QHY5LII has higher fps 200 vs 130. 320x240 in planetary rarely used, but for close binary stars is great to have more fps.

I've just tested QHY5L-II in FireCapture v2.1 testing edition obtained from QHYCCD forum. Please see the screenshot. So far the basic features are running smoothly and the ROI (fixed presets in EzPlanetary) can be customized freely in FireCapture. I heard they will include advanced features such as white balance adjustment and USB bandwidth control in FireCapture v2.2.

As far as I know, QHY5L-II supports 12-bit recording in EzPlanetary which is saved as 16-bit SER file. It's quite likely that 12-bit recording will also be supported in FireCapture v2.2.

Greg K.Administrator

Re: ASI 120MM versus QHY5L-II new [Re: Gary BEAL]
      #5665251 - 02/06/13 01:19 PM

Quote:

Could you use Pulse Guiding to guide with? Reason I ask is that I did just that with my NEQ6/Lodestar as I felt the silly ST4 connection in the Lodestar was destined to give grief. Worked a treat, and no need for the GPUSB (which I have though).
Gary

That would probably work, I do have a serial cable/usb adapter. I should give it a try.

Other than the fiddly cable connector (just TRY reconnecting that thing in the dark!) I do like guiding with the Lodestar, it works and it's simple, no other cables or adapters or ASCOM drivers to worry about. Don't even have to tell PHD to connect to the scope. If only the Lodestar was a better planet cam!

The QHY5L-II at least looks to have a proper RJ jack on it for the guider cable so that headache would be eliminated.

Greg K.Administrator

Re: ASI 120MM versus QHY5L-II new [Re: Kim Miau]
      #5665260 - 02/06/13 01:25 PM

Quote:

I've just tested QHY5L-II in FireCapture v2.1 testing edition obtained from QHYCCD forum. Please see the screenshot. So far the basic features are running smoothly and the ROI (fixed presets in EzPlanetary) can be customized freely in FireCapture. I heard they will include advanced features such as white balance adjustment and USB bandwidth control in FireCapture v2.2.

As far as I know, QHY5L-II supports 12-bit recording in EzPlanetary which is saved as 16-bit SER file. It's quite likely that 12-bit recording will also be supported in FireCapture v2.2.

Good info!

CanaryMax

Reged: 07/11/08

Loc: Gran Canaria, Spain
      #5665275 - 02/06/13 01:32 PM

Great news for QHY5LII, which has finally Firecapture support this camera, it seems they were waiting to put my answer...

Kim Miau
Pooh-Bah

#5666500 - 02/07/13 06:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Good info!

FYI, QHY just releases more information about using QHY5L-II and QHY5-II with FireCapture at their forum.

Something interesting is cooking up and we may see a working prototype during NEAF2013. Check out QHY "InterGuider".

Edited by Kim Miau (02/07/13 06:18 AM)

Greg K.Administrator

Re: ASI 120MM versus QHY5L-II new [Re: Kim Miau]
      #5679264 - 02/14/13 11:39 AM

Well I ordered a QHY5L-II mono. Since so many here are using the ASI, I had to be different. In fact I don't think I've seen any USA QHY5L-II users post yet.

Guess I'll be looking for deals on filter wheels/LRGB filters.

LauraMS

Reged: 03/29/11

Loc: Germany
      #5679898 - 02/14/13 05:07 PM

Same here :-) And a chance to play around with high fps values and bit depth in solar imaging...

Kokatha man
Postmaster

Reged: 09/13/09

Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...
Re: ASI 120MM versus QHY5L-II new [Re: CanaryMax]
      #5680073 - 02/14/13 07:16 PM

Quote:

I received a new driver just over a day ago which boosts the ZW Optical's ASI120MM framerate above these figures with very significant fps increases in nearly all of the many other resolutions selectable.....I am about to run tests for Sam but I am sure you will hear more from Sam (or me, or others) in the very near future!

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Reged: 01/22/08

Loc: Under the clouds!
Re: ASI 120MM versus QHY5L-II new [Re: Kokatha man]
      #5720328 - 03/08/13 11:31 AM

I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm looking at both these cameras (mono) for mainly guiding. I may use it for planetary but I already have a dedicated mono PG Blackfly for planetary.

The QHY5L-II seems more appropriate because of it has a built-in guide port.

In terms of sensitivity, has anyone did a side-by-side comparison?

I already have a Lodestar and for the most part it's great but that puppy has too much noise for my liking. The new guide cam is for a second (grab and go) setup.

I'm also considering the ST-i but if I can get the ASI120MM or QHY5L-II for half the price of the ST-i then the choice is obvious... but which one... ASI120MM or QHY5L-II?

Thanks

Guylain

jonbosley
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/19/05

Loc: Texas
Re: ASI 120MM versus QHY5L-II [Re: guyroch]
      #5720422 - 03/08/13 12:21 PM

I just went through the same process, I decided on the QHY5L-II which, now gives me the option of selling my Lodestar. The QHYL-II can now capture in 14bit, the ASI is stuck on 8bit only. Plus the Firecapture argument is over as both cameras can use it. Each new version of QHY's EZPlanetary software makes improvements, the latest now has SER unlimited capture, histogram, focus support with more improvements on the way-its better software then the Imaging Source IC Capture. It took 2 days from placing the order to getting the camera from Astrofactors.
When you think about it its a no brainer.

Jon

Kim Miau
Pooh-Bah

Re: ASI 120MM versus QHY5L-II [Re: jonbosley]
      #5720467 - 03/08/13 12:48 PM

Quote:

I just went through the same process, I decided on the QHY5L-II which, now gives me the option of selling my Lodestar. The QHYL-II can now capture in 14bit, the ASI is stuck on 8bit only. Plus the Firecapture argument is over as both cameras can use it. Each new version of QHY's EZPlanetary software makes improvements, the latest now has SER unlimited capture, histogram, focus support with more improvements on the way-its better software then the Imaging Source IC Capture. It took 2 days from placing the order to getting the camera from Astrofactors.

Jon

QHY5L-2 supports 12bit only.

It also supports HDR imaging which captures a 20-bit equivalent data stored in 12-bit format.

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Reged: 01/22/08

Loc: Under the clouds!
Re: ASI 120MM versus QHY5L-II [Re: jonbosley]
      #5720476 - 03/08/13 12:51 PM

Quote:

Jon

Thanks Jon... that pretty much made my day.

Did you tried it yet? Compared to the Lodestar how does it perform?

Guylain

jonbosley
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/19/05

Loc: Texas
Re: ASI 120MM versus QHY5L-II [Re: guyroch]
      #5720704 - 03/08/13 02:59 PM

Guylain,

It arrived this week and surprise, surprise its raining. I just did some indoor testing to make sure I could reach the max fps in each resolution on my laptop and that PHD can read it, which it can. I was planing on doing some guiding with it this weekend but that's not going to happen, amazingly its smaller & lighter then the lodestar.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9139

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics