Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Shows & Conferences

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Fun at NEAIC and NEAF new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5191385 - 04/26/12 10:17 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies on food. I have a better idea of what to expect. Any idea if they would let you bring a rolling backpack in? I'm actually hoping to do some shopping.

-Rich

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rusty
Postmaster

Reged: 08/06/03

Loc: Brooker, FL
Re: Fun at NEAIC and NEAF new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5191431 - 04/26/12 10:49 AM

There's PLENTY of parking in the west lot (turn right at the stop sign after entering RCC main entrance, then follow the road around to the back).

JSnuff1
sage

Reged: 12/29/04

Loc: NY
Re: Fun at NEAIC and NEAF new [Re: Rusty]
      #5192147 - 04/26/12 05:50 PM

Do vendors have any stock to sell any of their stuff at this show, or is it strictly just displays ?

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Fun at NEAIC and NEAF new [Re: JSnuff1]
      #5192190 - 04/26/12 06:03 PM

Quote:

Do vendors have any stock to sell any of their stuff at this show, or is it strictly just displays ?

It began as a trade show but there has been a steadily increasing number of vendors offering goods for sale on the show floor as an addition to the manufacturer displays. Some bargains will be available - and some great views of new or upcoming gear not being offered for sale at that location.

StephAdministrator
Texas Wildflower

Reged: 06/11/05

Loc: North Texas
      #5192283 - 04/26/12 07:06 PM

Quote:

Thanks everyone for the replies on food. I have a better idea of what to expect. Any idea if they would let you bring a rolling backpack in? I'm actually hoping to do some shopping.

-Rich

I'm almost positive I've seen backpacks (maybe not rolling ones, but I don't know that would make much difference). That's besides the ones the vendor-y folks bring in each morning, that is. Worst they can do is tell you no and you make random trips back to your vehicle to drop off purchases and come back in to shop more. I don't know what the exact procedure is -- stamping your hand, I think -- but there's some kind of in/out privileges & process 'cause I see them checking hands when folks go to & from the exhibit hall to the speakers' auditorium or the solar show or the cafeteria.

Can ya tell I don't really pay that much attention outside of running the web cam?

Larry F
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/24/04

Loc: Westchester, NY
      #5192939 - 04/27/12 06:49 AM

Quote:

What's the food situation at NEAF? Can you get lunch? What do they have? Should I figure out how to brownbag it?

There's also a cafeteria right across from the lecture hall where the major talks are given. It's not gourmet, but it won't kill you.

andrew0414

Reged: 02/11/12

Re: Fun at NEAIC and NEAF new [Re: Larry F]
      #5192969 - 04/27/12 07:18 AM

Is this near really a huge thing??

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Fun at NEAIC and NEAF new [Re: JSnuff1]
      #5193079 - 04/27/12 09:39 AM

Quote:

The "stores" like OPT, Hands on Optics, High Point Scientific, etc, will have tons of stuff to sell. Makers like Meade, Celestron, the CCD camera folks, Astro-Physics, are mostly just "display".

Food: Is really a personal thing. I've always thought of it as poor and over priced, at least the stuff on the floor (student caf is like any other college), so I've always brought my own lunch to eat outside.

They stamp your hand and you can go in/out as many times as you want. There are even nice doors off the floor leading directly out to the parking lot that are nice to take large items out.

However, I suggest bringing a small carry bag for all of the free-bee handouts, etc.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: Fun at NEAIC and NEAF new [Re: George N]
      #5193235 - 04/27/12 11:34 AM

I asked AP about selling stuff, and they said they'd need a New York vendor license to have a store there.

But you know, if Roland really wanted to go out with a bang, he'd secretly make a run of a new prescription somewhere between the Stowaway and the Traveler and appear at NEAF and sell them.

Just saying...

-Rich

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#5193332 - 04/27/12 12:36 PM

Ups- time to board the jet! See you there!

-Rich

kreegan99

Reged: 05/20/09

Loc: Endwell, NY
      #5193566 - 04/27/12 02:57 PM

So George, are you planning on using the doors right off the main floor this year?

If you get online, post some pictures of the setup going on there!

hfjacinto
I think he's got it!

Reged: 01/12/09

Loc: Land of clouds and LP
Re: Fun at NEAIC and NEAF new [Re: kreegan99]
      #5195615 - 04/28/12 09:56 PM

Sedat had a rolling bag, it looked full also

There are many restaurants nearby, I actually ordered an Italian Sub at NEAF and it was really good, much better than the warm food. 20 minutes away is Defiant Brewery, picked up 2 - 2.5 Liter bottles of beer and opened one with dinner. Overall NEAF is great, the kids are always busy (mine never want to leave) and the prices are good. Its great to see the people and the vendors/manufactors.

jouster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/27/05

Re: Fun at NEAIC and NEAF new [Re: hfjacinto]
      #5196464 - 04/29/12 12:12 PM

I put some pics here.... http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5196178/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

Sorry - didn't notice this thread!

saberonyx

Reged: 02/02/12

Loc: levittown, new york
Re: Fun at NEAIC and NEAF new [Re: jouster]
      #5196532 - 04/29/12 12:59 PM Attachment (52 downloads)

Well ,i will put in my 2 cents. I'm the little guy here who made it up to "the show" yesterday. After joining the forum a few short months ago,all I heard about was NEAF,NEAF this and NEAF that!...Well, the timing was right so I took advantage and got my butt up there since i'ts so close to my home (about 60 miles)..I was very,very impressed, no not just by the products offered but by the people.You guys and girls are all top notch when it comes to helping a newbie like me. Everyone I met took the time to talk to me and answer any questions I had. People around me would chime in on the conversation to help out.Maybe all of you aren't aware of how nice you are,so I just had to say it. Thanks......... I will be purchasing my telescope soon and a lot of important questions were answered,and all the product catalogs that were available are helpfull too!!! P.S. solar party was great too!!

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmari...
      #5197217 - 04/29/12 08:23 PM

Quote:

Hussshhhhhh!!!!!

Helder, what are you doing my friend ? If the CFO reads your message I'm done !

Did I tell anybody anything about your new LX800 ? I guess we understand each other, don't we?

Rusty
Postmaster

Reged: 08/06/03

Loc: Brooker, FL
Re: Fun at NEAIC and NEAF new [Re: bilgebay]
      #5197440 - 04/29/12 11:10 PM

Sedat showed me his bag - he had a $15 eyepiece surrounded by a LOT of bubble wrap...

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Fun at NEAIC and NEAF new [Re: kreegan99]
      #5198231 - 04/30/12 12:52 PM

Quote:

So George, are you planning on using the doors right off the main floor this year?

If you get online, post some pictures of the setup going on there!

....still recovering from a long weekend and drive..... pictures of the Kopernik Obs booth to follow....

Illinois
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/18/06

Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA
      #5198493 - 04/30/12 03:42 PM Attachment (41 downloads)

My daughter, sister and I have lot of fun at NEAF last Saturday. Lot of telescopes, eyepieces and many books is more than I expected. Wow! Only one thing is that We got lost when we are in Suffern. My GPS did right but I dont know theres few small and sharp turns streets that We passed and we drove back to get right way to NEAF! Here's photo of my sister and myself and 24" Scope!

hfjacinto
I think he's got it!

Reged: 01/12/09

Loc: Land of clouds and LP
Re: Fun at NEAIC and NEAF new [Re: bilgebay]
      #5198521 - 04/30/12 03:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hussshhhhhh!!!!!

Helder, what are you doing my friend ? If the CFO reads your message I'm done !

Did I tell anybody anything about your new LX800 ? I guess we understand each other, don't we?

Sedat,

Wasn't your rolling bag full of free magazines ?

I only got a couple of planetary filters and an inexpensive webcam The LX800 was shipped;)

greeps

Reged: 02/04/06

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
      #5199655 - 05/01/12 08:27 AM Attachment (37 downloads)

Back home finally...
Hotel
Facilities were excellent for the imaging conference.
Lunches were provided. The food was good and it was hot. They did an impressive job.
The hotel lobby bar... Dean got two white Russians from the hotel bar. He got $60 change from his $100 bill. Yup, those two drinks cost $40.
Mounts... AP had their new 1600 mount, I understand they're discontinuing their 1200. The cost of the 1600 is said to be $10k. They'll have a high resolution encoder option which is thought to add about $3k.
TEC had an f/1.44 telescope. It is a totally new design and this was the prototype finished last week. It's a 300mm aperture with a focal length of 425mm and a flat field. I'll try to attach a picture. The larger diameter part is a huge dew shield.
Glass... The larger diameter refractors, 200mm etc., are a problem now because glass isn't available. Domestic glass supplies are pretty much gone and foreign supplies are troubled with bubbles and inclusions.
Fire... A pop-up camper burned in the parking lot. The cause was a propane refrigerator. No one was hurt although the owner was inside. It went quickly, by the time he got the fire extinguisher from the front, the fire was beyond control.
Solar... There were quite a few solar telescopes there. My favorite was the double stacked Lunt 100, it was awesome. Saturday was a little too cloudy but Sunday was excellent.
Best astroimaging tip... Tony Hallas demonstrated that it is possible to open a .TIFF file as a camera raw file. There are tools in camera raw that are superior to those in the regular part of Photoshop. I'm a fan of Tony's DVDs so will point you there for more. I think it is his #5 that explores the the camera raw methods, it's $30.
For those who read my previous post about the hotel and the parking lot, I didn't attempt to stay in the parking lot there again but there were several people who were allowed to overnight there for several nights.
All the best,
David

Edited by greeps (05/01/12 09:31 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 27683

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics