Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Shows & Conferences

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
turk123
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/10

Loc: N.E. Ohio
Re: NEAF anyone new [Re: galaxyman]
      #5137222 - 03/23/12 01:57 PM

This will be my second neaf. This year I am taking advantage of the imaging conference and will be at the Crown plaza for four days. Should be fun!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mrturtle
sage

Reged: 08/06/10

Re: NEAF anyone new [Re: turk123]
      #5141227 - 03/25/12 09:15 PM

This year will only be my second.

Napersky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/10

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: NEAF anyone new [Re: mrturtle]
      #5153523 - 04/02/12 04:33 PM

Great!

Looking forward to meeting so many folks.
Hey Peter I hope you booked the Crown Plaza!

Illinois
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/18/06

Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA
Re: NEAF anyone new [Re: Napersky]
      #5154366 - 04/03/12 09:26 AM

This will be my first time and will stay at my sister in New Jersey and drive 1 and half hour to NEAF! Cant wait to go there!

hfjacinto
I think he's got it!

Reged: 01/12/09

Loc: Land of clouds and LP
Re: NEAF anyone new [Re: galaxyman]
      #5154844 - 04/03/12 02:52 PM

I will be up, this will be my 4th trip up. Kids are coming along again. Since I live in NJ, its only a 45 minute drive for me.

bierbelly
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/04

Loc: Sterling, VA
Re: NEAF anyone new [Re: hfjacinto]
      #5166831 - 04/11/12 12:34 PM

I have taken the leap and will be attending my first NEAF, staying at the Crowne Plaza.

gillmj24
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/06/05

Loc: PA
Re: NEAF anyone new [Re: Rusty]
      #5167565 - 04/11/12 08:48 PM

Quote:

BTW, if your GPS routes you onto Spook Rock Road, decline the invitation. Get off the NYTW (I-87) at exit 148. Stay in the center lane (the right disappears just north of the interchange). Airmont Road becomes Highview after the curve. Stay on it to the traffic light at College Road.

I also recommend picking up I-80 to I-287, avoiding NYTW tolls if you were to come in from the north. Exit 148 (Airmont Rd) is the 1st exit after the merge with I-87.

You meant 14 B as in boy. Not 148 the exits don't go that high. There is a 14A and a 14 B exit. NY hasn't gone to mile-based exit numbers since highways in the NYC area have an exit:mile ratio >1

I80 is west to east so I think you meant coming from the west not from the north? Other than those two errors you gave good directions/tips

Rusty
Postmaster

Reged: 08/06/03

Loc: Brooker, FL
Re: NEAF anyone new [Re: bierbelly]
      #5167850 - 04/12/12 12:48 AM

Quote:

I have taken the leap and will be attending my first NEAF, staying at the Crowne Plaza.

Been a long time! You'll see my Barth motorhome in the parking lot.

bierbelly
Postmaster

#5168017 - 04/12/12 07:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Been a long time! You'll see my Barth motorhome in the parking lot.

Indeed it has. I presume you'll have the dogs along?

StephAdministrator
Texas Wildflower

Reged: 06/11/05

Loc: North Texas
      #5168747 - 04/12/12 03:09 PM

Rusty *always* has the dogs along....who do you think does the driving??

Rusty
Postmaster

Re: NEAF anyone new [Re: Steph]
      #5169566 - 04/13/12 12:55 AM

I'll have two dogs; Casey will be there, but Maggie died in '10, and Nelson has come aboard.

Gardner
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/19/04

Loc: New Hampshire
      #5185551 - 04/22/12 10:49 PM

5th or 6th time going. Last year I stayed at the Crowne Plaza with a friend but we're doing the day trip thing this year again. I think about 12-15 folks from our club are going.

Jeff55
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/14/05

Loc: Boston MA
Re: NEAF anyone new [Re: Gardner]
      #5191331 - 04/26/12 09:45 AM

As we all know...Boston MA is the center of the known universe (followed by Silicon Valley...although I'm told the country is slightly tilted so all the lose screws roll west)...so...I was wondering how many Bostonians make the trek to Suffern, NY...I think we're a fairly large group so wondered if others from our proud state could check in so I can get an idea how large we truly are...BTW this mis my 4th NEAF and get so excited I get that kid in the candy store feeling...there are NO telescope stores in Massachusetts (at least that I'm aware).

bierbelly
Postmaster

Re: NEAF anyone new [Re: Jeff55]
      #5191428 - 04/26/12 10:46 AM

Quote:

As we all know...Boston MA is the center of the known universe (followed by Silicon Valley...although I'm told the country is slightly tilted so all the lose screws roll west)...so...I was wondering how many Bostonians make the trek to Suffern, NY...I think we're a fairly large group so wondered if others from our proud state could check in so I can get an idea how large we truly are...BTW this mis my 4th NEAF and get so excited I get that kid in the candy store feeling...there are NO telescope stores in Massachusetts (at least that I'm aware).

Not for hockey, eh? LETS GO CAPS!!!

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
      #5191493 - 04/26/12 11:24 AM

I’m going – I think I’ve missed NEAF about 3 times since it started.

This year I’m going on Friday to help set up the Kopernik Observatory booth and will be staying the whole weekend. However, I’m just “widow shopping” this year, since I’ve declared 2012 as “a no new astro-gear year”….. other than some stuff they don’t sell at NEAF, like a tripod ladder with double steps for my 20-inch Dob.

kreegan99

Reged: 05/20/09

Loc: Endwell, NY
Re: NEAF anyone new [Re: George N]
      #5193617 - 04/27/12 03:36 PM

I'll be there too George, and I will let you help me buy some stuff. Good luck with the setup today, and can't wait to get down there myself! Of course I'll be looking at big binos this year, along with a mount for them. Not sure how big yet. Hopefully I won't need a ladder to use them

stmifx

Reged: 04/08/11

Re: NEAF anyone new [Re: kreegan99]
      #5195200 - 04/28/12 03:47 PM

I am here as well. Almost ordered a TSA 102S but held myself back as I have my eye on a used one. I will probably buy a Vixen Polarie.

Awesomelenny
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/02/04

Loc: Long: 81.42 W Lat: 41.21 N
Re: NEAF anyone new [Re: stmifx]
      #5195284 - 04/28/12 04:55 PM

Can we chat somehow while you're on cam? Also is there going to b a walk thru???

Dob FrogAdministrator
Ninjamphibian

Reged: 01/27/06

Loc: Ohio
Re: NEAF anyone new [Re: Awesomelenny]
      #5195408 - 04/28/12 06:52 PM

Lenny, The chat is available, but I don't believe they are going to be able to do any walk throughs because of some internet (I believe) issues.

Rusty
Postmaster

Re: NEAF anyone new [Re: Dob Frog]
      #5195461 - 04/28/12 07:37 PM

Someone came through with a mobile hotspot, so the webcast could go on. The walkabout problem is that Mike Loffland's laptop is not charging his battery, and none of ours has an IEEE 1394 input, necessary for the videocam.

The chat is somewhat abbreviated, as only one laptop is connected; usually we have 2 or 3, so it's a conspiracy, er, "collaboration".

Normally, we get questions that send me walking the floor to answer; today, none.

Anyway, some of the New Product highlights are:

Televue's autofocuser

Stellarvue's 50mm doublet APO. I think Vic did this on a dare, but this little guy ISN'T a joke - one doesn't make a helical-cut R&P focuser to make mirth. It's a miniature, crafted with the same skill and passion that Vic is known for.

Celestron's 10+mp OSC Nightscape CCD camera* and the miniature standalone autoguider. Noteworthy (IMHO) at Celestron is that Dan Mounsey ("Doctor D" of Woodland Hills fame), whose opinions and advice I truly respect, has joined the company.

Meade: Every item Meade brought is brand new (with the exception of the solar scopes). The LX80* is a "tower" mount, superficially resembling iOptron's, but packing in many more (and surprising!) features (Can your alt-az mount also do EQ?) The LX600 fork mount is available in several sizes.

(Here the author succumbs to visitors at STARV II, and will continue later...)

Later (1:25AM 4/29) the thread picks up...The Meade LX800 EQ mount. Both the LX600 and LX800 feature the StarLock (tm) equipment. This includes both a wide-angle (for alignment) and narrow-angle (for autoguiding) chip with appropriate optics. The pair promises a new dimension in alignment and imaging. The LX800 has a couple of features I like; The Starlock and the correction of a quibble many of us ave with the tripod. The LX800 has 2 leg lock screws on each leg. Further, its claim of 1 arcsec tracking accuracy is attention-getting.

The Meade optics, I was told, were also new, but distracted by the new mount features, I didn't get into that.

iOptron had its existing mounts, but what coaught my eye (yanked in its direction by the legendary imager Tony Hallas) was the new i30 EQ mount*. This unassuming 20-25 lb capacity mount has incorporated, I'm told, the lessons learned from comments rendered by users of its prior mounts. It's fully autoguider-capable at the mount-level (not through the hand controller), and seems to be an imaging-capable mount of extraordinarily compact size.

* These three items are initial contestants for my modest selections for Best of NEAF 2012. But as Scarlett said, "Tomorrow's another day," and I have more patrolling to do...Korean mounts and OTAs, anyone?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4545

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics