Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Shows & Conferences

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
rodney
Vendor - Explora Dome

Reged: 03/08/05

Loc: Asbury, NJ
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: George N]
      #5202054 - 05/02/12 02:44 PM

George,

I would not read to much into what some say. At Explora Dome we have had record sales over the past 12 months. This includes a route truck every few weeks. It was busy enough at the shop that Dan the owner stayed behind to fill orders. Yet we still had SOLD units on display again. (Sold en route to the show).

The show overall was good. Though I did not see anything new that jumped out and said buy me.

Just sayin,

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jason B
Proud father of 5!!

Reged: 06/21/04

Loc: Mid-Michigan
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: rodney]
      #5202112 - 05/02/12 03:15 PM

I had a great time as usual. Saturday was very busy and while Sunday seemed a bit slower, I had a great time as I got a chance to talk with more vendors than I have in years past. It was great seeing everyone at the Astronomics/Cloudy Night booth!

RobTeeter
Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

Reged: 09/30/04

Loc: Rockaway, NJ
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: Jason B]
      #5202333 - 05/02/12 05:22 PM

NEAF 2012 was GREAT! We had an awesome time, especially Saturday morning. We had just as much traffic and interest in our booth than any other NEAF we've been to. I tried to put on as good a showing in our booth as possible with 5 Truss-Dobs and 3 of our STS scopes, one of which was raffled off in the Kids Raffle. People love seeing the big wooden Truss-Dobs and as the only vendor that attends NEAF we try our best every year to put up a good assortment.

Keep up the good work Alan! Can't wait for NEAF 2013!

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: RobTeeter]
      #5202535 - 05/02/12 07:01 PM Attachment (45 downloads)

Rob I have to personally thank you, because now all my son keeps doing is asking," when are you going to get a telescope like that for me?" OMG!

RobTeeter
Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

Reged: 09/30/04

Loc: Rockaway, NJ
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5202554 - 05/02/12 07:09 PM

You're very welcome! Ironically kids like your son will be looking through this scope more often than the actual owner of the scope. This scope was purchased by "Pearl Observatory" for use as their primary public outreach instrument that they'll use at hundreds of elementary school, library and scout group programs every year where thousands of kids will look through it. Eyepiece height was a strong consideration when spec'ing this scope out for them.

kimsc321

Reged: 01/22/06

Loc: New Milford, NJ
      #5202683 - 05/02/12 08:22 PM

My family was Alan's "volunteer neaf-fer and neaf-ettes" and we had a blast more this year than ever. Alan, dude, u da man!!!!!

My wife and I thought the same that the economy is taking a toll on venders as well as end users- including me. There was something that I really needed but decided to hold off until my family is stable again. So, I think there are lot of us - and venders - who are going through the tough times.... Let's not get discouraged or pessimistic, keep your head up and look for the clear, beautiful day and night skies.....

I must say though, Sunday solar was THE BEST!!!!!

Steven

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: kimsc321]
      #5202943 - 05/02/12 11:37 PM

well I didnt attended, wanted too, but this thread begs an old adage....." you cant please all the people, all the time "

Hope to make it next year.

Wayne W.

Reged: 06/21/06

Loc: Woodland Park N.J.
Re: Anyone else disappointed in NEAF 2012? new [Re: Chucky]
      #5203752 - 05/03/12 01:01 PM

My biggest complant was a lack of product knowledge by some vendors. Case in point I was interested in a Baader ceramic Herschel Wedge. They make two types, visual and photographic. I asked a lady at the OPT booth if I could use the "P" version visually. She wasn't sure and asked another sales person to assist her. I was then told I could not use the "P" version visually as it comes but would need an additional filter that is not yet available . The price was good but adding another filter made it too expensive. I walked away and went to High Point Scientific. They knew the product and it does not require any additional filters. Made my purchase and was asked to call Grant and let him know how I liked it. It's been raining every day since Sunday.

SkyscraperJim
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/29/07

Loc: Providence, RI
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: droid]
      #5203769 - 05/03/12 01:10 PM

Well I was a bit surprised to see the original subject line posted here. I think the only way I could be disappointed with NEAF would be if I didn't get the chance to go. NEAF is always a good show (have been going for about 7 years) and my only wish is that I could spend more time there.

Given how small of a market amateur (and semi-professional) astronomy is, I do not think it is realistic to expect to see new and more "stuff" every year (even though I saw LOTS of new stuff this year). To me, that's not really what the show is about, as much as it is to meet and talk with the people who make and promote the stuff.

Were there empty booths or missing vendors? I didn't even notice. There were many booths that I didn't even get a chance to visit since I ran out of time, and I didn't even take in one talk this year.

It was a great show this year and I'm looking forward to next year's NEAF.

Scott in NCAdministrator
80mm Refractor Fanatic

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
Re: Anyone else disappointed in NEAF 2012? new [Re: hfjacinto]
      #5203973 - 05/03/12 02:48 PM

Quote:

I did see and say hello to a lot of people...

I'll attest to that! BTW, it was great meeting you, Helder, even though we didn't get to chat for long, since we were both trying to keep up with our families.

Scott in NCAdministrator
80mm Refractor Fanatic

#5203982 - 05/03/12 02:52 PM

Quote:

NEAF 2012 was GREAT!...Keep up the good work Alan! Can't wait for NEAF 2013!

I'll second that! This was my first time attending NEAF, and I'm already getting excited about returning (hopefully next year if circumstances allow, but if not 2013, then 2014 for sure)!

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: Scott in NC]
      #5204278 - 05/03/12 05:27 PM

My first time and I was only allowed to spend 2 1/2 hours at NEAF. I wish I could have spent more time(and had more money to spend ), thank goodness I only live 1 hour away. I'll be there next year! Read my impressions.

James

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5204538 - 05/03/12 08:21 PM

Perhaps less exciting due to the relative lack of new gear coming out. I am looking forward to watching neaf videos later. I hope their wasn't less recording due to the smaller show. I did not attend this time around.

Scott in NCAdministrator
80mm Refractor Fanatic

Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5204541 - 05/03/12 08:22 PM

Quote:

My first time and I was only allowed to spend 2 1/2 hours at NEAF.

Only 2.5 hrs? You poor guy! That's like taking a kid to a toy store and only letting him peek through the window.

Edited by ssatko (05/03/12 08:24 PM)

StephAdministrator
Texas Wildflower

Reged: 06/11/05

Loc: North Texas
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #5204592 - 05/03/12 09:09 PM

Quote:

Perhaps less exciting due to the relative lack of new gear coming out. I am looking forward to watching neaf videos later. I hope their wasn't less recording due to the smaller show. I did not attend this time around.

Several CN members have posted videos already. Unfortunately, we of the CN webcam crew were unable to do our usual walk-around (narrated by Tom Trusock) this year due to a stupid combination of technical and timing issues (including the school having problems with their internet connection pretty much all day Saturday). Nothing to do with the "smaller show" -- it wasn't a smaller show, there's an empty booth or three every year -- just other issues.

I know everyone watching live missed not having it, it's always a popular part of the live webcast, and also those who are unable to watch live like to see the archived video but alas, our 5th year of webcamming was just not an error-free year.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: Steph]
      #5204622 - 05/03/12 09:49 PM

Quote:

it wasn't a smaller show,

...and no shortage of new gear, either. I saw no fewer than 10 new computerized telescope mounts, including models from two new producers. I'm interested in mounts, so I noticed. Saw info on a couple of new CCD camera platforms not yet available. Might have been more, as there were several CCD producers there with whose product lines I'm unfamiliar. Saw several brand new optical tube designs. I don't believe I've ever seen so many products new to NEAF. I don't mean to harp on this, and I'll shut up now. I just hate to see these internet rumors get started.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5204776 - 05/03/12 11:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

it wasn't a smaller show,

...and no shortage of new gear, either. I saw no fewer than 10 new computerized telescope mounts, including models from two new producers. I'm interested in mounts, so I noticed. Saw info on a couple of new CCD camera platforms not yet available. Might have been more, as there were several CCD producers there with whose product lines I'm unfamiliar. Saw several brand new optical tube designs. I don't believe I've ever seen so many products new to NEAF. I don't mean to harp on this, and I'll shut up now. I just hate to see these internet rumors get started.

I could add that Explore Scientific had two new prototype carbon fiber APOs (with rotating focusers) and a new 14 or 15 inch lightweight Dob. The Astro Physics 175mm APO was new to me anyway…… how long have they had this in the works?

Rusty
Postmaster

Reged: 08/06/03

Loc: Brooker, FL
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: George N]
      #5204807 - 05/03/12 11:50 PM

I'm with jcrilly, especially where mounts are concerned - there were several new mounts from known manufacturers (Meade and AP, to name 2), and mounts from new manufacturers. Explore Scientific also quietly showed the prototype EQ mount from last year, which I found to be quite innovative; I had a great conversation at NEAF 2011 with its designer.

There were many new scopes in attendance, from Stellarvue, Meade (all theirs except the solar scopes were new), TEC, Explore, and others. Rob Teeter floored me with the variety of offerings this year (does he EVER sleep?)

Frankly, I wasn't a bit disappointed with NEAF 2012 (my 5th); I expect some years to dazzle with new and innovatove products and some to be less so.

bierbelly
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/04

Loc: Sterling, VA
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: Rusty]
      #5205102 - 05/04/12 08:20 AM

Quote:

I'm with jcrilly, especially where mounts are concerned - there were several new mounts from known manufacturers (Meade and AP, to name 2), and mounts from new manufacturers. Explore Scientific also quietly showed the prototype EQ mount from last year, which I found to be quite innovative; I had a great conversation at NEAF 2011 with its designer.

There were many new scopes in attendance, from Stellarvue, Meade (all theirs except the solar scopes were new), TEC, Explore, and others. Rob Teeter floored me with the variety of offerings this year (does he EVER sleep?)

Frankly, I wasn't a bit disappointed with NEAF 2012 (my 5th); I expect some years to dazzle with new and innovatove products and some to be less so.

I particularly enjoyed the party in that trailer in the parking lot of the Crowne Plaza!

jouster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/27/05

Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: bierbelly]
      #5205148 - 05/04/12 08:50 AM

This was my sixth consecutive NEAF. Add me to the happy crowd. I wish the next one was tomorrow.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10876

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics