Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Shows & Conferences

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Rusty
Postmaster

Reged: 08/06/03

Loc: Brooker, FL
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: bierbelly]
      #5206396 - 05/04/12 09:24 PM

Quote:

I particularly enjoyed the party in that trailer in the parking lot of the Crowne Plaza!

It was great having you folks aboard again!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dfernandez

Reged: 02/19/11

Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: Rusty]
      #5206843 - 05/05/12 08:04 AM

It was my first time at NEAF, and I must commend Alan for his hard work. I thought it was fabulous. Scott Roberts at Explore Scientific spent a lot of time going over his new scopes with me ( bought an AR152, and the 40mm 68 deg eyepiece). I'll be back

Boot
wildly diverse musical tastes

Reged: 06/04/07

Loc: The Outernet
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: Dfernandez]
      #5206932 - 05/05/12 09:38 AM

Dfernandez -

Thanks for your input and...

Welcome to Cloudy Nights!

Joad
Wordsmith

Reged: 03/22/05

Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: Boot]
      #5209533 - 05/06/12 10:28 PM

Whether this is a trend or not remains to be seen, but one difference (NOT declination) from last year appears to be that while last year was the Year of the Giant Dob, this year, with its new Meade lineup and many new offerings of computerized mounts, appears to be the Year of the Imager.

Whatever happened between last year and this year, Orion seems to have axed both its super giant line of Dobs, as well as its over 16 inch ultralight Dobs.

All this would make sense. With light pollution getting worse and gas prices staying high, astrophotography is an increasingly attractive option for the many who can't often get to the dark skies that the really big Dobs need.

But if one is concerned about the next generation of star gazers, the good old visual 8 inch SCT on a tracking/Goto mount may be the best bet for starters in the hobby.

tomchris
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/22/10

Loc: Connecticut, U.S.A.
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: Joad]
      #5210852 - 05/07/12 07:14 PM

I brought my wife who also liked it this year. This was our third straight year and we thoroughly enjoyed it. 'Picked up a AT72ED with a good deal from Astronomics. Thanks to all who worked on the show this year... Great job!

doctordub
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/11/06

Loc: New Rochelle, New York
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: tomchris]
      #5211860 - 05/08/12 11:34 AM

I enjoyed myself at NEAF 2012.
It was the first NEAF I have been able to attend, even though I live so close. I had a good time talking with vendors, (and spending too much money) As well as the Solar Party Saturday. I found everyone friendly, CN members and others. I could not attend Sunday but will try to make NEAF 2013.

CS
Jonathan

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: doctordub]
      #5218649 - 05/12/12 12:26 PM

In my case, the biggest problem was getting there consumed the bulk of any spending money I had. I still got a few things, but not what I would have without the large transportation expense. If there were a SouthWest Astronomy Forum, I think a large sector of the community could show, and the skies would be good enough to have a star party. Every single major prime I asked refused to consider setting a scope up outside for night due to previous experience with poor seeing. I have no idea if the vendors would support such a thing in its first year, though. I am thinking the time to have it would be September-October. There's a pretty high density of astronomers out this way.

I had imagined it would be really easy to meet a bunch of the CN people I've met, but the only ones I located were Sedat (and it was really nice to meet a non-total stranger!) and Jason B. The only other attendees I had real conversations with were people I just struck up conversations with. I may have bumped into half the CN crowd at the conference or not one. I really don't know.

I've been asking myself if I'd go back, and I keep coming back to I could have just bought the AP flattener or that complete set of Brandon eyepieces in a beautiful case if the airline, hotel, and car rental agency hadn't walked off with that cash. As it is, I don't have either, and didn't get to meet my peeps, anyway.

-Rich

StephAdministrator
Texas Wildflower

Reged: 06/11/05

Loc: North Texas
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5219303 - 05/12/12 08:40 PM

Have you seen the vendor forum lately? Mike Bieler, the owner of Astronomics, started a thread a couple-three or so weeks ago about trying to hold a forum/expo in Norman, OK - probably not until next year to have time to plan properly, probably in late Sept. or early/mid Oct. So there's hope!!

Also, even though their new building will open at the end of May, they're going to have a grand opening with some vendors there (Televue, Meade and others have been mentioned), probably middish-Sept. There's a thread about that in the vendor forum too. That might be a bit far for you, but just as an FYI...

Sorry I, and so many of the rest of us on the CN helper team working the CN and Astronomics booths, missed you at NEAF. There were, as always, quite a few of us from the moderating team helping out. If you come to NEAF again, make sure you stop at the booths (I'm sure you did) and pretty much anyone working there is from CN, or at least Astronomics. We don't bite...much....

Clay Kessler
sage

Reged: 04/16/07

Loc: Manchester MI
      #5221530 - 05/14/12 09:35 AM

Quote:

In my case, the biggest problem was getting there consumed the bulk of any spending money I had. I still got a few things, but not what I would have without the large transportation expense. If there were a SouthWest Astronomy Forum, I think a large sector of the community could show, and the skies would be good enough to have a star party. Every single major prime I asked refused to consider setting a scope up outside for night due to previous experience with poor seeing. I have no idea if the vendors would support such a thing in its first year, though. I am thinking the time to have it would be September-October. There's a pretty high density of astronomers out this way.

I had imagined it would be really easy to meet a bunch of the CN people I've met, but the only ones I located were Sedat (and it was really nice to meet a non-total stranger!) and Jason B. The only other attendees I had real conversations with were people I just struck up conversations with. I may have bumped into half the CN crowd at the conference or not one. I really don't know.

I've been asking myself if I'd go back, and I keep coming back to I could have just bought the AP flattener or that complete set of Brandon eyepieces in a beautiful case if the airline, hotel, and car rental agency hadn't walked off with that cash. As it is, I don't have either, and didn't get to meet my peeps, anyway.

-Rich

Rich,

Are you the gentlemen from Tucson that Jeff Thrush and I chatted with at the "Dunkin Donuts" on Sunday Morning? It is hard to spot the CNers - we need a special handshake or something.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: Clay Kessler]
      #5221585 - 05/14/12 10:10 AM

Strangely enough, no. Though I did think I had found people and introduced myself to just get a blank look several times.

Maybe a CN conference tag/ pin is needed.

-Rich

bierbelly
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/04

Loc: Sterling, VA
      #5221761 - 05/14/12 11:52 AM

Quote:

Strangely enough, no. Though I did think I had found people and introduced myself to just get a blank look several times.

Maybe a CN conference tag/ pin is needed.

-Rich

I think the biggest problem is all you CNers who use a screen name instead of your real name on the forum and then expect...oh wait, that's me. (As if I could remember either at this age.)

Joad
Wordsmith

Reged: 03/22/05

Anyone else disappointed in NEAF 2012? new [Re: bierbelly]
      #5221866 - 05/14/12 12:50 PM

Back to original topic. It is not against the TOS to express disappointment.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: Anyone else disappointed in NEAF 2012? new [Re: Joad]
      #5222985 - 05/15/12 01:46 AM

I think I needed to see NEAF, but unless I started earning a lot more cash, the travel cost is a big deal. Please don't think I'm crestfallen or anything- I learned a lot, and that's what I really went there for. I'd thought it would be easier to find the CN folks. I did get a field flattener to play with from Astronomics, and to meet Jason B.

I'm not sure what I'd be doing on a second outing to NEAF. The curiousity factor is largely taken care of. I'd like a real star party. That's what makes me wonder about getting one together out here in the west.

-Rich

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Anyone else disappointed in NEAF 2012? *DELETED* new [Re: ghataa]
      #5223222 - 05/15/12 09:14 AM

Post deleted by Boot

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: Anyone else disappointed in NEAF 2012? new [Re: Geo.]
      #5223311 - 05/15/12 10:34 AM

Well, I dunno- the people I saw who were out for religious observance, despite being the largest dealers of general purpose optical equipment, just brought a pile of hats in one case and a pile of catalogs in the other. So, it wasn't like they were really there, anyway. Frankly, that was disappointing.

-Rich

Jason B
Proud father of 5!!

Reged: 06/21/04

Loc: Mid-Michigan
Re: Anyone else disappointed in NEAF 2012? new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5223699 - 05/15/12 02:53 PM

It was great meeting you Rich. Hope the Field Flatteneer works for you!

Moggi1964
Vendor - Astro Laugh

Reged: 11/07/05

Loc: Madison. NJ. USA
Re: Anyone else disappointed in NEAF 2012? new [Re: Jason B]
      #5225895 - 05/16/12 09:03 PM

Well I for one was VERY disappointed!

Disappointed I could not be there as a Vendor.

Disappointed I could not be there as a member of the public.

Disappointed that I couldn't see old friends.

Disappointed that I couldn't be the one calling my mates to tell them what I got at NEAF (thanks lads, you made me more miserable ).

Alan and the team never fail to amaze and I would be surprised if this event was any different. Same goes for Bob Moore and his team at NEAIC (why did my new job have to start THAT week?).

I don't think Astrolaugh will make NEAF 2013 but I do hope its owner will

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: Anyone else disappointed in NEAF 2012? new [Re: Moggi1964]
      #5226077 - 05/16/12 11:57 PM

Jason, it was good to meet you as well.

I'll see what I can make that flattener do on the sun this weekend.

-Rich

StephAdministrator
Texas Wildflower

Reged: 06/11/05

Loc: North Texas
Re: Anyone else disappointed in NEAF 2012? new [Re: Moggi1964]
      #5226162 - 05/17/12 12:51 AM

Quote:

I don't think Astrolaugh will make NEAF 2013 but I do hope its owner will

It wasn't the same without seeing you, my friend. I hope either or both make it next year.

Gone caving
Vendor- Lunt Solar Systems, Lunt Engineering

Reged: 04/02/07

Loc: Underground... really
Re: Anyone else disappointed in NEAF 2012? new [Re: Steph]
      #5228002 - 05/18/12 09:23 AM

Yeah ME TOO!!!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10745

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics