Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Always Dark skies of Belfair W...
Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: seryddwr]
      #3760295 - 04/21/10 11:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nealry 2 yard of cement for this pier base.

Meh, there are 4,360,000 cubic yards of cement in Hoover Dam.

Well there you go....I couldn't imagine needing that much cement......for a pier.

Rob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
      #3760296 - 04/21/10 11:51 PM

Oh for the billionth time it's concrete not cement! What do you guys have with your morning coffees....flour or cake and cookies?? Mike

seryddwr
Innocent Bystander

Reged: 02/19/10

Loc: La-la land.
Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: mikey cee]
      #3760302 - 04/21/10 11:57 PM

Quote:

Oh for the billionth time it's concrete not cement!

Yes, yes, enough already! Cement is often used as a colloquial term for concrete. Technically, if I eat a cake, I also eat flour.

Edited by seryddwr (04/21/10 11:58 PM)

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: mikey cee]
      #3760303 - 04/21/10 11:58 PM

Quote:

Oh for the billionth time it's concrete not cement! What do you guys have with your morning coffees....flour or cake and cookies?? Mike

Oh man...you mean I dug a stupid hole to China for Concrete...not cement. What am I gonna do now...

Should I fill it in and begin a new

So is 2 yards of cement the same as 2 yards of concrete?

Regardless on what I settle on to put in the hole....there is no way my new 10"f/15 is gonna move......

Rob(*I don't think that word means what you think it means*)

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3760308 - 04/22/10 12:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Oh for the billionth time it's concrete not cement!

Yes, yes, enough already! Cement is often used as a colloquial term for concrete. Technically, if I eat a cake, I also eat flour.

True oh so true...when I drink coffee, I also drink creamer.

Rob(I hope *J* bolts are the same as *anchor* bolts)...

Mel M

Reged: 05/04/08

Loc: southern Oregon
Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: rwiederrich]
      #3760438 - 04/22/10 01:30 AM

You could run some 2x4 on each side on-edge overlapping at each corner and screwed together. Extra bracing feels good, especially if you are pouring a little wet and vibrating.

Galaxyhunter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/02/06

Loc: Northern Illinois
Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: Mel M]
      #3760635 - 04/22/10 06:07 AM

Looking good there Rob.

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: Galaxyhunter]
      #3760680 - 04/22/10 07:28 AM

No my OSB floor was on the deck portion, but it was two peices with wood glue between ,paint with polyuerethane heavily on both exposed sides, the down ,and the up sides.
last summer till this spring, thats it, rotted clean out.

following your build, what was that wood type, redwood?

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: droid]
      #3761056 - 04/22/10 11:28 AM

Quote:

No my OSB floor was on the deck portion, but it was two peices with wood glue between ,paint with polyuerethane heavily on both exposed sides, the down ,and the up sides.
last summer till this spring, thats it, rotted clean out.

following your build, what was that wood type, redwood?

Andy...? that isn't part of my support structure that was anothers example.

Thanks for your fine compliments...I see what you were talking about with the floor.

I'll get the *J* bolts and rebar today and build the plywood structure that will hold the 3 pier mounting bolts in the concrete...... We pour tomorrow.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3761106 - 04/22/10 11:49 AM

It has come to the attention of some of you that it appears that I will be rolling the roof off toward the South.
....I've spent a great deal of time thinking and measuring out the roof roll off location...and yes...rolling it off to the south is like...stupid...

But..I can't roll it off to the East due to space restrictions..(My office)..the North is the same. I originally wanted to roll it off to the West..since my horizon there is 30deg....then I remembered I have lots of water and electrical lines buried there....so I didn't want to dig anywhere there(digging up water and electrical liness ain't my kind of trouble) . I had placed the concrete footers in my original location after all my deliberating(as the picture shows)figuring that was *IT*. I since then had a revelation(yeah duh). I won't dig in the suport 4x4's as previously planned...I'll use the same concrete footers as the building...in that way I don't have to dig...just level. They can sit on the ground..snugged in..partially buried.

I didn't want to move the roof Southward, but was forced by all the stipulations....NOW(after I used my brain)...I'm moving the roof to the West. I'll pick up the *J* bolts and rebar today..and make the plywood form that will hold the 3 mounting bolts for the pier. We pour tomorrow!

Thanks for your fine comments and suggestions .

Rob

HunterofPhotons
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

Loc: Rhode Island, USA
Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: Lorence]
      #3761146 - 04/22/10 12:03 PM

Quote:

Lorence wrote:
..... Your work? Looks like sawmill lumber, what species?

*** Yes, I done did the building. It was fresh-cut red oak from a local sawyer. If I remember correctly (this happens less frequently as I get older) the oak was only a couple of hundred dollars delivered. I did the whole post and beam frame with this:

Quote:

Speaking of sawmill lumber I'm building my kitchen cupboards out of Tamerack (Larch?).

http://www.mts.net/~lmlod/cupboards3.jpg

*** Excellent work on the cupboards.

Quote:

The locals use this wood it for firewood. They used to use Tamerack for building and fence posts around here a hundred years ago. A lot of it is still standing......

*** And I would have to pay a premium price for tamarack simply because it isn't local. <g>
Since shipping charges always figure in the final price for lumber, local lumber can sometimes be a bargain.

dan

Lorence
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/15/08

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: HunterofPhotons]
      #3761373 - 04/22/10 01:49 PM

Quote:

*** Yes, I done did the building. It was fresh-cut red oak from a local sawyer. If I remember correctly (this happens less frequently as I get older) the oak was only a couple of hundred dollars delivered. I did the whole post and beam frame with this:

dan

It's a shame that you had to cover the oak frame. Care to post a photo of the finished building?

Those top beams look to be ? 4x6 by ? 24 ft. That's 48 board ft. At $4.00/bf one beam would cost $192.00 plus tax and delivery. That's wishful thinking because there's a premium on wood over 1" thick.

As I recall I paid 20 or 30 cents per board ft. for tamarack 1x6 and spruce 3x8 planks at the sawmill. I bought enough to fill a double garage over 6' in height.

The only problem was I had to go out and buy a new table saw, surface planer, jointer and band saw. Can you imagine how heartbroken I was about that?

Lorence

HunterofPhotons
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

Loc: Rhode Island, USA
Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: Lorence]
      #3761966 - 04/22/10 06:01 PM

Lorence,
I don't want to hijack Rob's thread, so I started a new one to answer your questions. It's called "Pictures for Lorence".

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: HunterofPhotons]
      #3762641 - 04/22/10 11:32 PM

Today I built the plywood cap that holds the 3 *J* bolts that will secure the pier. I also drilled 2 holes on eather East/West sides and will insert *J* bolts in the sides of the pier. so when cured I will have anchor points for the 2 4X4 floor joist supports that will bolt there.

Hope full tomorrow concrete will be all done and I can remove the forms Sunday or Monday. I will leave the plywood cap on and also cover the entire thing with plastic. Allowing it to cure under humidity. No hurrying now. A 3.3 X 3.3 x 5ft cconcrete block set in sand is a tough thing to contend with..... For all you need to know types...that's nearly 4 1/2 tons of concrete.
I also added some bracing arms secured into the ground on each of the four edges. This form is tough.

Rob

RobVG
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/09/06

Loc: Seattle Washington
      #3762846 - 04/23/10 02:32 AM

Umm, Where are the pictures?

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: RobVG]
      #3763260 - 04/23/10 10:28 AM

Quote:

Umm, Where are the pictures?

I'll post lots when the concrete is delivered....

Rob(today is the day).....we pour at 1:00pm

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3764433 - 04/23/10 07:28 PM Attachment (61 downloads)

Poured the concrete today...man..4 tons of *MUD* is a lot.
The driver was very impressed with the form and more impressed that I ordered *exctly* the right amount of concrete. It came out right were I wanted it.

I placed the side bolts before we poured and away we went. I trauled it even and then wiggled the top plate that had the pier bolts bolted in it into the Mud....carefully aligned the 3 bolts to Polaris. I kept the base even with the OB walls..but the pier is not..it aims off to the right about this much.......

I am so glad that's over.....the delivery guy was explaining to me how many times he has watched forms collaps under the immence weight of the concrete. I'll remove the forms Sunday...after church I think.

Here are some pics after the pour.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3764438 - 04/23/10 07:31 PM Attachment (71 downloads)

Here's one with the top plate and mounting bolts..ready to be vibrated in place.....

Cool....

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3764448 - 04/23/10 07:36 PM Attachment (67 downloads)

Lastly the top plate layed on top of the form. This is a great way to keep your *J* bolts exactly aligned to your pier. Now it needs to go to *sleep*......shhhhhhhhh

Rumplewetpier..needs his sleep........

I'll post pics when I remove the form.

Thanks for enduring.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory [Re: rwiederrich]
      #3766170 - 04/24/10 08:55 PM

today I unbolted the top plywood cap and exposed the bolts...not bad..but I wanted to get them a bit deeper in the concrete...so I built another form on top of the new one and made it in the shape of a triangle(to follow the outline of the bolts)...It will permit me to pour 2" more inches to permit the bolts to have enouth threads to bolt the pier down without spacers. In this way the pier base will have a nifty raised portion inside the OB that mimics the pier. I simply used ready mix for this. I poured it right on top of the newly poured pier base..after wetting it very well. It's amazing how well new concrete sticks to older concrete....

I'll let this set till tomorrow..maybe till Monday before I remove all the forms.

Rob

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 39562

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics