Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Always Dark skies of Belfair W...
Gold Mtn Observatory
      #3748941 - 04/16/10 03:13 PM Attachment (405 downloads)

I'm just setting the ground work for my new thread on the build of my new OB for my new 10"f/15 refractor.

It will be an 18X18 roll off roof design..with tin roof.

Wood floor..8ft walls and most likely a 10/12 roof to accomodate my scope and pier adequately.

I'll be employing the services of my daughters boyfriend who just happens to be a framing contractor.....I'm happy.

I will be using rigid casters on an alternating system that will allow every other caster to ride on the opposite side of a wall cap wood rail. This way I can safe money and still provide a safe and secure rolling system.

One last note: if you need framing help(Locally) Tim is available..he's awesome and very skilled.

Here is a drawing of the alternating caster.

Rob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: rwiederrich]
      #3749087 - 04/16/10 04:41 PM

Rob; we'll be looking forward to following the build of your new observatory, thru many photos; we hope!

Congratulations!

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: csa/montana]
      #3749199 - 04/16/10 05:43 PM

Quote:

Rob; we'll be looking forward to following the build of your new observatory, thru many photos; we hope!

Congratulations!

Carol.....I'm the photo king. Just as I have flooded the band waves with images of me 10"f/15 build(Over 1 1/2 years) and its subsequent *first light*..I will fill this forum with ample amounts of visual overload.

My plans are in place...just waiting for the funds to appear. Hired my help. I have to begin digging the 4X5'hole into which the large cement footer will be poured.

3 1/2" lag bolts will secure my 8ft steel pier and optical wares. I will then build the block supported wood floor...walls then tin roof. When I begin building the structure..I hope to be finished in a weekend.

Rob(I'm a picture guru)

quantumac
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/17/07

#3749245 - 04/16/10 06:12 PM

It took me and my step-dad about four months to build a 10' x 12' ROR observatory, working on the weekends. He was an architect and I had a dream. He knew what he as doing. He taught me some stuff about building a structure which would last. Fifteen years later, he's gone, but the observatory itself is still standing and still quite functional. It's been through high winds and all kinds of weather.

I'm not saying you couldn't put yours together in a single weekend. I'm sure people have. I know it was a lot of work to do right. Simply put, your mileage may vary.

Avi
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/19/09

Loc: San Tan Valley, Arizona
Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: quantumac]
      #3749257 - 04/16/10 06:19 PM

Agreed. My 10x20 is going on 4 months, and probably won't be done until early June.

Of course I'm the only one doing work on it, so there's that to factor in.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: quantumac]
      #3749269 - 04/16/10 06:25 PM

Quote:

It took me and my step-dad about four months to build a 10' x 12' ROR observatory, working on the weekends. He was an architect and I had a dream. He knew what he as doing. He taught me some stuff about building a structure which would last. Fifteen years later, he's gone, but the observatory itself is still standing and still quite functional. It's been through high winds and all kinds of weather.

I'm not saying you couldn't put yours together in a single weekend. I'm sure people have. I know it was a lot of work to do right. Simply put, your mileage may vary.

Thanks..so much for your advice and encouragement.

I will have all the cement work done before we begin the floor and walls. Cuts and waste will be to a minimum..since the walls are 8ft and it is 18ft square.

I talked to my contractor even today and he said we should have it water tight by the end of the second day.

I know Scott Horstman has built OB's in a weekend. I hope to have pleanty of hands on site to help as well.

Setting the window and door...will come later...so will the electrical..and paint.

I'm looking to have it weather tight by weekends end.

Rob (we'll see if my eyes are bigger then my stomoch)

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

Reged: 12/11/04

Loc: N.E. WI Sky Glow
      #3750370 - 04/17/10 11:10 AM

I hope everthing goes as planned Rob, please take and post plenty of photos

skybsd
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/01/08

#3750595 - 04/17/10 02:23 PM

Congrats on the new build!

Please post photos as and when you can.

Regards,

skybsd

RobVG
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/09/06

Loc: Seattle Washington
      #3752767 - 04/18/10 06:07 PM

Hi Rob

I'm really looking forward to your build. May it go smoothly.

Rob

Mel M

Reged: 05/04/08

Loc: southern Oregon
      #3752811 - 04/18/10 06:36 PM

4' x 5' hole? Consider using longer bolts with a 90 bend at the end. Your stuff is big.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: Mel M]
      #3753371 - 04/18/10 11:27 PM

Quote:

4' x 5' hole? Consider using longer bolts with a 90 bend at the end. Your stuff is big.

Thanks to everyone and their fine comments and encouragemnts.

I will use lots of rebar and I will be using ft long *J* bolts for anchors. I want those bolts deep. Funny thing thought...the scopes been out in the drive for over 2 weeks now and NO PROBLEMS. Keeping it tucked under the scope shop roof eve helps protect it against wind and stuff like that. It is very stable on its pier...but bolted down will mean rock solid........

Rob

Scott Horstman
Vendor - Backyard Observatories

Reged: 03/11/04

Loc: Here, There and Everywhere
      #3753530 - 04/19/10 01:57 AM

Shoot me a PM if I can be of any help Rob. Looking forward to seeing that scope in a nice home!

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: Scott Horstman]
      #3754421 - 04/19/10 01:49 PM

Quote:

Shoot me a PM if I can be of any help Rob. Looking forward to seeing that scope in a nice home!

Thanks Scott..I was going to ask if I could bounce ideas off you and seek your advice.

Secondly..I think I've finally decided on steel wheel fixed caster. They are still $10 a pop..but alternating them over a fixed central rail will still be economical but will not bind like compressing rubber wheels. Even though I'm convinced 13 per side would transfer the weight and allow them to roll with ease. A motorized roof doesn't care.....so I'm not quite sure of all the *hoopla* over making the roll off with *L* iron and expensive *v* casters.

I have no criticism for anyone who uses this method...it is very stable and prefered......

But.....

I'm looking to save any were I can. PLus I know several OB owners who use the method I want to use and they have had great success for over 10 years..with no adverse problems.

Clearing the site and digging a *BIG* hole is my first step.

Just had to finish up some alterations to the mount and drive on the scope...so next light will be better.

Thanks so very much Scott.

Rob(starting soon) got to have a good plan first.

wormstar
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/09

Loc: Central Ct
      #3754609 - 04/19/10 03:26 PM

Not sure what "hoopla" you refer too , but my v-wheels were only 20$ each and i only needed 6(only 10x10), They have a high load rating and I can't imagine you would need more than 8 unless you under-design the support structure.
http://www.laornamental.com/Store/Gate-Accessories.html

Lorence
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/15/08

#3754645 - 04/19/10 03:38 PM

I put my rail on the inside of the observatory walls. The rolling system is like that on a roller coaster. Most of the casters are on top of the track supporting the roof. There are also casters pushing against the side of the walls. This keeps the roof straight as these casters stop the roof from turning and binding against the walls. There are also three casters on either side facing upward, riding on the bottom of the track to prevent the roof from lifting.

This method will allow me to make a very effective weather strip between the roof and walls as there is less than an inch of space between the two. The building will be like a walk in freezer. It will be insulated and sealed as well as I can possibly do so, but that's another subject.

This might give you an idea of what I'm doing. About twelve messages down the thread is a link to a photo of the roof under construction.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3474112/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

I considered many methods for rolling the roof off the building. This was the method I was most comfortable with. I'm confident that the building will withstand just about anything short of a tornado.

Lorence

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: wormstar]
      #3754851 - 04/19/10 04:43 PM

Quote:

Not sure what "hoopla" you refer too , but my v-wheels were only 20$ each and i only needed 6(only 10x10), They have a high load rating and I can't imagine you would need more than 8 unless you under-design the support structure.
http://www.laornamental.com/Store/Gate-Accessories.html

I apologize...The *hoopla* I was refering to was..that nearly everyone who commented to my design....suggested your design instead..because of certain benefits percieved by the owner of your design(*V* grooved casters on inverted angle iron). PLease believe me...that design is an exceptional design...IF snow is one of your problems...and IF you are hand opening...and ...IF the cost difference between your design(for my application) $350+ verses less then $75~$150 is not an issue. Plus I prefer a closer tolerance then the 5"~6" required with these casters.

The steel angle iron is screwed to treated lumber..there for it is weather resistant. My system places a treated rail onto the same treated lumber....therefor STILL weather resistant. It really is a matter of preferences not functionality.

That's just me...I mean no disrespect.

I build scopes using cooking pots remember.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: Lorence]
      #3754859 - 04/19/10 04:47 PM

Quote:

I put my rail on the inside of the observatory walls. The rolling system is like that on a roller coaster. Most of the casters are on top of the track supporting the roof. There are also casters pushing against the side of the walls. This keeps the roof straight as these casters stop the roof from turning and binding against the walls. There are also three casters on either side facing upward, riding on the bottom of the track to prevent the roof from lifting.

This method will allow me to make a very effective weather strip between the roof and walls as there is less than an inch of space between the two. The building will be like a walk in freezer. It will be insulated and sealed as well as I can possibly do so, but that's another subject.

This might give you an idea of what I'm doing. About twelve messages down the thread is a link to a photo of the roof under construction.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3474112/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

I considered many methods for rolling the roof off the building. This was the method I was most comfortable with. I'm confident that the building will withstand just about anything short of a tornado.

Lorence

Very impressive roll off roof design Lorence.

What kind of rail system are you using...steel wheels or some kind of rubber wheeled caster. You sure have pleanty of them......

Rob

Buhlig
sage

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: Derby, KS
      #3756728 - 04/20/10 01:28 PM

FWIW, I tried to roll rubber casters on wood for a 12x16 and it was too hard. Also the wood dents in very easy and kept getting hung up. If you place a steel plate for the rollers, it helps...I opted for a similar implementation with a aluminum c-channel with rubber casters...I'm going to v-groove and steel this summer. It works, but it still pretty hard to move (500lbs winch). I also have a steel roof.

Sean

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: Buhlig]
      #3756889 - 04/20/10 02:34 PM

Quote:

FWIW, I tried to roll rubber casters on wood for a 12x16 and it was too hard. Also the wood dents in very easy and kept getting hung up. If you place a steel plate for the rollers, it helps...I opted for a similar implementation with a aluminum c-channel with rubber casters...I'm going to v-groove and steel this summer. It works, but it still pretty hard to move (500lbs winch). I also have a steel roof.

Sean

Sean..You said you have a steel roof. Is that over OSB?

I figure 20 2x6's weighs about 400lb and the metal roof..about 100lb....total 500lb distributed over 14 rollers.
Each will carry 35lb.

Even if I use steel wheel rollers it will still cost less then *V* grooved rollers and angle iron.

Rob

Lorence
scholastic sledgehammer

#3756908 - 04/20/10 02:39 PM

Quote:

What kind of rail system are you using...steel wheels or some kind of rubber wheeled caster. You sure have plenty of them.

Rob

The rails are 3 inch C channel steel mounted vertically. The hard rubber casters ride on the narrow side of the channel.

The roof must weigh 5 to 6 hundred lbs. I can push it with one hand. I'm only guessing but I'd say it takes about a 40-50 lb. push to move the roof.

I did use a lot of casters. Temps. here drop below -40 deg. in winter. There is nothing harder on any sort of machinery than extreme cold. That and the possibility of a extra ton of snow on the roof were my reasons for spreading the load out over a lot of casters. The additional cost was negligible and well worth the peace of mind knowing that even under the most extreme conditions the load on each caster is well within it's design capabilities.

Buy the way these casters are very quiet, not that it's important where I am, but where neighbors are close it may be an important consideration.

As for my reasons for doing what I did, I'm on my own out here. I only know of one other amateur astronomer within a hundred miles. The only things around here resembling an observatory would be referred to a chicken coop or granary. Every decision was based on better to be safe than sorry. There is just too much time and material involved to cheap out and have to deal with problems down the line.

Good luck with your project.

Lorence

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3757095 - 04/20/10 03:58 PM Attachment (73 downloads)

Quote:

Quote:

What kind of rail system are you using...steel wheels or some kind of rubber wheeled caster. You sure have plenty of them.

Rob

The rails are 3 inch C channel steel mounted vertically. The hard rubber casters ride on the narrow side of the channel.

The roof must weigh 5 to 6 hundred lbs. I can push it with one hand. I'm only guessing but I'd say it takes about a 40-50 lb. push to move the roof.

I did use a lot of casters. Temps. here drop below -40 deg. in winter. There is nothing harder on any sort of machinery than extreme cold. That and the possibility of a extra ton of snow on the roof were my reasons for spreading the load out over a lot of casters. The additional cost was negligible and well worth the peace of mind knowing that even under the most extreme conditions the load on each caster is well within it's design capabilities.

Buy the way these casters are very quiet, not that it's important where I am, but where neighbors are close it may be an important consideration.

As for my reasons for doing what I did, I'm on my own out here. I only know of one other amateur astronomer within a hundred miles. The only things around here resembling an observatory would be referred to a chicken coop or granary. Every decision was based on better to be safe than sorry. There is just too much time and material involved to cheap out and have to deal with problems down the line.

Good luck with your project.

Lorence

I'm impressed with your appraoch. My designs study shows that compression is minimal and even less when using pressure treated lumber.

I'm planning on using pressure treated top plates....so they will transition well into the pressure treeted 4X6's that the roof will rest on when open.

The casters I got permit pleanty of room for them to be off set every other one. I've amended my design to include an additional caster per side..making it 7 per side. I'm also going with the steel wheel design. It is much more hardy.

I ordered the casters today and the total was $42.

They are rated at 150lb each...that gives me loads of room. Since each caster will be loaded with 35lbs....this reduces compression each will impress on the cap plate.

It also leaves 1.75" for the center guide. More wheels less friction. Solid wheels...less friction.

The center guide will be treated lumber stripped and when fixed..be retreated.

It's all sound and will save me bundles of time and money.

PLus the profile is so short...it provides great security.

Here's a pic of one.

Rob

Lorence
scholastic sledgehammer

#3757404 - 04/20/10 06:17 PM

Quote:

I'm impressed with your approach. My designs study shows that compression is minimal and even less when using pressure treated lumber.

I'm planning on using pressure treated top plates....so they will transition well into the pressure treated 4X6's that the roof will rest on when open.

The casters I got permit pleanty of room for them to be off set every other one. I've amended my design to include an additional caster per side..making it 7 per side. I'm also going with the steel wheel design. It is much more hardy.

They are rated at 150lb each...that gives me loads of room. Since each caster will be loaded with 35lbs....this reduces compression each will impress on the cap plate.

It also leaves 1.75" for the center guide. More wheels less friction. Solid wheels...less friction.

Here's a pic of one.

Rob

Pressure treated is the only way to go for lumber that is or may be exposed to the elements. I understand that the bugs don't like it very much either.

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it you will be rolling steel wheels on a wooden track. Personally I'd have the wheels rolling on steel, for minimum resistance. Not that I think there's anything wrong with your choice. If there ever was a problem it wouldn't be difficult to correct. Urethane will harden up a wood surface considerably. Wouldn't hurt to give the track a few coats for good measure.

Lorence

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3757478 - 04/20/10 06:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm impressed with your approach. My designs study shows that compression is minimal and even less when using pressure treated lumber.

I'm planning on using pressure treated top plates....so they will transition well into the pressure treated 4X6's that the roof will rest on when open.

Here's a pic of one.

Rob

Pressure treated is the only way to go for lumber that is or may be exposed to the elements. I understand that the bugs don't like it very much either.

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it you will be rolling steel wheels on a wooden track. Personally I'd have the wheels rolling on steel, for minimum resistance. Not that I think there's anything wrong with your choice. If there ever was a problem it wouldn't be difficult to correct. Urethane will harden up a wood surface considerably. Wouldn't hurt to give the track a few coats for good measure.

Lorence

The casters will be spending a majority of their life in the closed position...... the 15~30 nights a year it will be open isn't going to create a problem..I'm sure..and yes the exposed wood track will be heavely treated. It won't be any different then the wood beleath a steel angle iron rail. I think it will be OK...the build will tell if I need to reinforce the wood with a metal plate.

I bet it will be fine...no violations are being commited.

Rob

Buhlig
sage

#3757678 - 04/20/10 09:03 PM

Quote:

No OSB, purlins. Trust me, I was just like you, I didn't believe in the v-groove and channel..and cost was a big deal for me too. But, my 12x16 was just too heavy to be manageable on a wood base.

Quote:

I figure 20 2x6's weighs about 400lb and the metal roof..about 100lb....total 500lb distributed over 14 rollers.
Each will carry 35lb.

My steel roofing was 3x what you have estimated...my son and I coudn't lift 8 sheets...I suspect you have 10 or 12 sheets? I would think steel rollers will dig in even more, esp treated lumber. My treated lumber here is very wet and super soft until it sits out for like a year. You might think about binding too. A center guide rail with rollers on both sides is just asking for binding. Not trying to be a naysayer, just trying to save you the pain of a stuck roof as the rain rolls in. Having said all that, I wouldn't have listened to advice in my build...I would have had to prove it to myself. Best of luck.

Sean

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3757767 - 04/20/10 09:55 PM Attachment (62 downloads)

Quote:

Quote:

No OSB, purlins. Trust me, I was just like you, I didn't believe in the v-groove and channel..and cost was a big deal for me too. But, my 12x16 was just too heavy to be manageable on a wood base.

Quote:

Each will carry 35lb.

My steel roofing was 3x what you have estimated...my son and I coudn't lift 8 sheets...I suspect you have 10 or 12 sheets? I would think steel rollers will dig in even more, esp treated lumber. My treated lumber here is very wet and super soft until it sits out for like a year. You might think about binding too. A center guide rail with rollers on both sides is just asking for binding. Not trying to be a naysayer, just trying to save you the pain of a stuck roof as the rain rolls in. Having said all that, I wouldn't have listened to advice in my build...I would have had to prove it to myself. Best of luck.

Sean

I'm glad you're telling me this Sean..because It makes me rethink. I have spring steel I can add as caster bases on the wood. But that is some time down the road.

These rollers are 7/8" wide and acceptable.

Well...everyone has to have a beginning...and this is mine.

Here is a site picture. I just roughly set the corner cement piers.

I'll place a 4x4 in them and them nail on the outer 2x10 and level them. The deck structure will be 2x10, with OSB flooring. I'll have one door and a small 2x3 window facing the house so I can see why wife yelling for me.....

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3757774 - 04/20/10 10:02 PM Attachment (66 downloads)

And here is a bit further down were the 4x6 roof suports will be located..via the 4x4's. This is the best place for the OB since I have a pretty good Eastern view and Southern...but only have a 30deg Western and about the same Northern. Polaris is easily seen...so I'm good.

Raining today..so we quite early...but as soon as it stops raining like a mad dog...we'll set the corners and begin the Deck......Yippy!

Rob

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
      #3758179 - 04/21/10 06:05 AM

Rob; hey just a thought, you might want to use exterior grade plywood instead of OSB, I just did tear of of my OSB floor after only 1 year , due to standing water from the spring melt and rain,stuff just wicked into the wood, I would have never thought it, but it happened.
I replaced it with three quarter inch exterior grade plywood.
Should last a lot longer.
just my 2 cents.

I look forward to seeing photos of your build, I love the refractor.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: droid]
      #3758669 - 04/21/10 12:04 PM

Quote:

Rob; hey just a thought, you might want to use exterior grade plywood instead of OSB, I just did tear of of my OSB floor after only 1 year , due to standing water from the spring melt and rain,stuff just wicked into the wood, I would have never thought it, but it happened.
I replaced it with three quarter inch exterior grade plywood.
Should last a lot longer.
just my 2 cents.

I look forward to seeing photos of your build, I love the refractor.

My little contracting buddy is coming over at noon to begin digging the 40" X 40" X 60" hole the cement footer will be poured into....... 1.75 yards of cement will be poured by weeks end.

There is a brand of OSB that is superior to plywood..from what I'm told..it doesn't buckle or seporate. but still..if your OSB floor is INSIDE your OB why did it rot and need replacing?

Rob

HunterofPhotons
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

Loc: Rhode Island, USA
      #3758840 - 04/21/10 01:01 PM

Quote:

.....Pressure treated is the only way to go for lumber that is or may be exposed to the elements.......
Lorence

Not really. This is a common misconception. Pressure treated (PT)lumber is usually made from Southern Yellow Pine. This is a fast growth tree and it is famous for splitting and twisting as it dries. PT lumber is fine for lumber that needs to be in contact with the ground, but there are many better woods to choose from when you need an outdoor wood that won't warp.
Here's one way to go:

Notice the chamfer on the edge of the beams that sheds water.
The finishing touch (not visible in this image) was a metal cap on the beam top so that there's never standing water on the wood.
Not only is it nontoxic, unlike PT, it was cheaper, and, to my eyes, prettier. <g>

dan

Avi
professor emeritus

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: HunterofPhotons]
      #3758939 - 04/21/10 01:43 PM

I have noticed a not-insignificant amount of cracks and warps in the PT lumber I've purchased for my observatory.

Was considering moving to a rot-resistant wood instead, but I'm too far along to change now.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3759002 - 04/21/10 02:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

.....Pressure treated is the only way to go for lumber that is or may be exposed to the elements.......
Lorence

Not really. This is a common misconception. Pressure treated (PT)lumber is usually made from Southern Yellow Pine. This is a fast growth tree and it is famous for splitting and twisting as it dries. PT lumber is fine for lumber that needs to be in contact with the ground, but there are many better woods to choose from when you need an outdoor wood that won't warp.
Here's one way to go:

The finishing touch (not visible in this image) was a metal cap on the beam top so that there's never standing water on the wood.
Not only is it nontoxic, unlike PT, it was cheaper, and, to my eyes, prettier. <g>

dan

Hunterof-the-photons... You make a wonderful point..and your example is more furniture then basic construction.....

Agreed..if you keep the standing water off the wood...it will last much longer.

Beautiful.

Rob

Lorence
scholastic sledgehammer

#3759080 - 04/21/10 02:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Lorence

Here's one way to go:

dan

Very nice Dan. Excellent joinery. Your work? Looks like sawmill lumber, what species?

You didn't use box store lumber, which is what most do and what I'm basing my advice on. SPF, around here is 99.9% spruce, and is what most use for construction. Outside in the elements it may last five years. Locally fir and ceder are way too expensive for the average budget. For the average handyman around here PT is the material of choice for outside work. When finished properly it doesn't look too bad. There are two grades of PT available. One for situations where the wood is in contact with the ground and another less treated version for above ground use.

Here' a photo of the front of my house, both decks are PT. At the time of the photo they only had the first coat of finish on them. By the way, I built the house and decks.

http://www.mts.net/~lmlod/cabinfront7.jpg

Speaking of sawmill lumber I'm building my kitchen cupboards out of Tamerack (Larch?).

http://www.mts.net/~lmlod/cupboards3.jpg

The locals use this wood it for firewood. They used to use Tamerack for building and fence posts around here a hundred years ago. A lot of it is still standing.

There's no argument about better woods available for outside construction. Unfortunately the average person heads for the cheapest wood available. Especially after they have seen the prices. My neighbor did some timber framing around the front of his house and deck about five years ago. Sawmill spruce. Some of it needs replacing already.

Lorence

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: Avi]
      #3759082 - 04/21/10 02:50 PM Attachment (66 downloads)

Quote:

I have noticed a not-insignificant amount of cracks and warps in the PT lumber I've purchased for my observatory.

Was considering moving to a rot-resistant wood instead, but I'm too far along to change now.

I'v amended my roller design simply by adding spring steel plate for the steel wheels of the casters to roll on. the center wood guide will remain..but it will be metal on metal.

I just so happen to have a roll of spring steel and I can easily roll out the amount needed for each side and the screw it down on each end. The weight of the rollers on it will keep it nicely placed. I will probably screw in some screws along its edge to help.

Here is a drawing of the modification.

I'm also having 1.75 yards of cement poured by weeks end to finish off the pier base.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3760212 - 04/21/10 11:12 PM Attachment (57 downloads)

Well..I had a good afternoon of working. My helper dug the massive 40"x40"x60" hole for the pier base. Here are some images of the progress..

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3760220 - 04/21/10 11:14 PM Attachment (56 downloads)

Tim(helper) doing some measuring of the hole.
A lot of dirt has to come out of that hole.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3760235 - 04/21/10 11:22 PM Attachment (76 downloads)

After the hole was dug and champfered at the bottom..I built the form for the above ground portion.

The pier top is going to be at the same level as the floor...so the form has to be as tall as the 2X10's top.

I will be drilling holes in two sided(oposite) and bolting in 2 *J* bolts...so when the cement is cured I can then bolt 4x4 sub floor suports that will suport the floor joists at the pier. You'll see this later.

Tim is setting it and adjusting its level..before we back fill it. The wood flanges on the bottom will be covered by dirt to aid in securing it agains the weight of the cement.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3760243 - 04/21/10 11:24 PM Attachment (68 downloads)

Tim leveling the form. He's standing oan the bottom...

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3760252 - 04/21/10 11:29 PM Attachment (50 downloads)

Now a bit of backfill. I'll set rebar next and then make the templet that will hold the 3 anchor *J* bolts for the pier. That simply sets on top after the cement has found level on the top of the form. I'll simply hold the top templet over the area the bolts are supose to be...then slowly vibrate the whole thing till it sits level on the top of the form.......then let it set. Nealry 2 yard of cement for this pier base.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3760277 - 04/21/10 11:40 PM Attachment (56 downloads)

One as it was getting dark. It is extremely rigid and will be great. I designed to have 2 *J* bolts anchored into the sides fo two sides of the pier base. This way I can bolt 2 4x4's to both sides and use these as sub joist to suport the 2x10's at and around the pier. Briliant on my part.

Anchor bolts in the base can be bolted to for great substructure suport.

I'll order the cement Friday morning and it will be deliverd by noon.

Lumber might be delivered next week.

Rob(Here we go)

seryddwr
Innocent Bystander

Reged: 02/19/10

Loc: La-la land.
      #3760284 - 04/21/10 11:42 PM

Quote:

Nealry 2 yard of cement for this pier base.

Meh, there are 4,360,000 cubic yards of cement in Hoover Dam.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: seryddwr]
      #3760295 - 04/21/10 11:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nealry 2 yard of cement for this pier base.

Meh, there are 4,360,000 cubic yards of cement in Hoover Dam.

Well there you go....I couldn't imagine needing that much cement......for a pier.

Rob

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
      #3760296 - 04/21/10 11:51 PM

Oh for the billionth time it's concrete not cement! What do you guys have with your morning coffees....flour or cake and cookies?? Mike

seryddwr
Innocent Bystander

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: mikey cee]
      #3760302 - 04/21/10 11:57 PM

Quote:

Oh for the billionth time it's concrete not cement!

Yes, yes, enough already! Cement is often used as a colloquial term for concrete. Technically, if I eat a cake, I also eat flour.

Edited by seryddwr (04/21/10 11:58 PM)

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3760303 - 04/21/10 11:58 PM

Quote:

Oh for the billionth time it's concrete not cement! What do you guys have with your morning coffees....flour or cake and cookies?? Mike

Oh man...you mean I dug a stupid hole to China for Concrete...not cement. What am I gonna do now...

Should I fill it in and begin a new

So is 2 yards of cement the same as 2 yards of concrete?

Regardless on what I settle on to put in the hole....there is no way my new 10"f/15 is gonna move......

Rob(*I don't think that word means what you think it means*)

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3760308 - 04/22/10 12:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Oh for the billionth time it's concrete not cement!

Yes, yes, enough already! Cement is often used as a colloquial term for concrete. Technically, if I eat a cake, I also eat flour.

True oh so true...when I drink coffee, I also drink creamer.

Rob(I hope *J* bolts are the same as *anchor* bolts)...

Mel M

Reged: 05/04/08

Loc: southern Oregon
      #3760438 - 04/22/10 01:30 AM

You could run some 2x4 on each side on-edge overlapping at each corner and screwed together. Extra bracing feels good, especially if you are pouring a little wet and vibrating.

Galaxyhunter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/02/06

Loc: Northern Illinois
Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: Mel M]
      #3760635 - 04/22/10 06:07 AM

Looking good there Rob.

droid
rocketman

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: Galaxyhunter]
      #3760680 - 04/22/10 07:28 AM

No my OSB floor was on the deck portion, but it was two peices with wood glue between ,paint with polyuerethane heavily on both exposed sides, the down ,and the up sides.
last summer till this spring, thats it, rotted clean out.

following your build, what was that wood type, redwood?

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3761056 - 04/22/10 11:28 AM

Quote:

No my OSB floor was on the deck portion, but it was two peices with wood glue between ,paint with polyuerethane heavily on both exposed sides, the down ,and the up sides.
last summer till this spring, thats it, rotted clean out.

following your build, what was that wood type, redwood?

Andy...? that isn't part of my support structure that was anothers example.

Thanks for your fine compliments...I see what you were talking about with the floor.

I'll get the *J* bolts and rebar today and build the plywood structure that will hold the 3 pier mounting bolts in the concrete...... We pour tomorrow.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3761106 - 04/22/10 11:49 AM

It has come to the attention of some of you that it appears that I will be rolling the roof off toward the South.
....I've spent a great deal of time thinking and measuring out the roof roll off location...and yes...rolling it off to the south is like...stupid...

But..I can't roll it off to the East due to space restrictions..(My office)..the North is the same. I originally wanted to roll it off to the West..since my horizon there is 30deg....then I remembered I have lots of water and electrical lines buried there....so I didn't want to dig anywhere there(digging up water and electrical liness ain't my kind of trouble) . I had placed the concrete footers in my original location after all my deliberating(as the picture shows)figuring that was *IT*. I since then had a revelation(yeah duh). I won't dig in the suport 4x4's as previously planned...I'll use the same concrete footers as the building...in that way I don't have to dig...just level. They can sit on the ground..snugged in..partially buried.

I didn't want to move the roof Southward, but was forced by all the stipulations....NOW(after I used my brain)...I'm moving the roof to the West. I'll pick up the *J* bolts and rebar today..and make the plywood form that will hold the 3 mounting bolts for the pier. We pour tomorrow!

Thanks for your fine comments and suggestions .

Rob

HunterofPhotons
Pooh-Bah

#3761146 - 04/22/10 12:03 PM

Quote:

Lorence wrote:
..... Your work? Looks like sawmill lumber, what species?

*** Yes, I done did the building. It was fresh-cut red oak from a local sawyer. If I remember correctly (this happens less frequently as I get older) the oak was only a couple of hundred dollars delivered. I did the whole post and beam frame with this:

Quote:

Speaking of sawmill lumber I'm building my kitchen cupboards out of Tamerack (Larch?).

http://www.mts.net/~lmlod/cupboards3.jpg

*** Excellent work on the cupboards.

Quote:

The locals use this wood it for firewood. They used to use Tamerack for building and fence posts around here a hundred years ago. A lot of it is still standing......

*** And I would have to pay a premium price for tamarack simply because it isn't local. <g>
Since shipping charges always figure in the final price for lumber, local lumber can sometimes be a bargain.

dan

Lorence
scholastic sledgehammer

#3761373 - 04/22/10 01:49 PM

Quote:

*** Yes, I done did the building. It was fresh-cut red oak from a local sawyer. If I remember correctly (this happens less frequently as I get older) the oak was only a couple of hundred dollars delivered. I did the whole post and beam frame with this:

dan

It's a shame that you had to cover the oak frame. Care to post a photo of the finished building?

Those top beams look to be ? 4x6 by ? 24 ft. That's 48 board ft. At $4.00/bf one beam would cost $192.00 plus tax and delivery. That's wishful thinking because there's a premium on wood over 1" thick.

As I recall I paid 20 or 30 cents per board ft. for tamarack 1x6 and spruce 3x8 planks at the sawmill. I bought enough to fill a double garage over 6' in height.

The only problem was I had to go out and buy a new table saw, surface planer, jointer and band saw. Can you imagine how heartbroken I was about that?

Lorence

HunterofPhotons
Pooh-Bah

#3761966 - 04/22/10 06:01 PM

Lorence,
I don't want to hijack Rob's thread, so I started a new one to answer your questions. It's called "Pictures for Lorence".

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3762641 - 04/22/10 11:32 PM

Today I built the plywood cap that holds the 3 *J* bolts that will secure the pier. I also drilled 2 holes on eather East/West sides and will insert *J* bolts in the sides of the pier. so when cured I will have anchor points for the 2 4X4 floor joist supports that will bolt there.

Hope full tomorrow concrete will be all done and I can remove the forms Sunday or Monday. I will leave the plywood cap on and also cover the entire thing with plastic. Allowing it to cure under humidity. No hurrying now. A 3.3 X 3.3 x 5ft cconcrete block set in sand is a tough thing to contend with..... For all you need to know types...that's nearly 4 1/2 tons of concrete.
I also added some bracing arms secured into the ground on each of the four edges. This form is tough.

Rob

RobVG
scholastic sledgehammer

#3762846 - 04/23/10 02:32 AM

Umm, Where are the pictures?

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: RobVG]
      #3763260 - 04/23/10 10:28 AM

Quote:

Umm, Where are the pictures?

I'll post lots when the concrete is delivered....

Rob(today is the day).....we pour at 1:00pm

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3764433 - 04/23/10 07:28 PM Attachment (61 downloads)

Poured the concrete today...man..4 tons of *MUD* is a lot.
The driver was very impressed with the form and more impressed that I ordered *exctly* the right amount of concrete. It came out right were I wanted it.

I placed the side bolts before we poured and away we went. I trauled it even and then wiggled the top plate that had the pier bolts bolted in it into the Mud....carefully aligned the 3 bolts to Polaris. I kept the base even with the OB walls..but the pier is not..it aims off to the right about this much.......

I am so glad that's over.....the delivery guy was explaining to me how many times he has watched forms collaps under the immence weight of the concrete. I'll remove the forms Sunday...after church I think.

Here are some pics after the pour.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3764438 - 04/23/10 07:31 PM Attachment (71 downloads)

Here's one with the top plate and mounting bolts..ready to be vibrated in place.....

Cool....

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3764448 - 04/23/10 07:36 PM Attachment (67 downloads)

Lastly the top plate layed on top of the form. This is a great way to keep your *J* bolts exactly aligned to your pier. Now it needs to go to *sleep*......shhhhhhhhh

Rumplewetpier..needs his sleep........

I'll post pics when I remove the form.

Thanks for enduring.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3766170 - 04/24/10 08:55 PM

today I unbolted the top plywood cap and exposed the bolts...not bad..but I wanted to get them a bit deeper in the concrete...so I built another form on top of the new one and made it in the shape of a triangle(to follow the outline of the bolts)...It will permit me to pour 2" more inches to permit the bolts to have enouth threads to bolt the pier down without spacers. In this way the pier base will have a nifty raised portion inside the OB that mimics the pier. I simply used ready mix for this. I poured it right on top of the newly poured pier base..after wetting it very well. It's amazing how well new concrete sticks to older concrete....

I'll let this set till tomorrow..maybe till Monday before I remove all the forms.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3778918 - 04/30/10 11:17 PM Attachment (68 downloads)

The floor lumber arrived today so after work I got to work building the floor. I squared it up and then set the corners and started laying the 2x10 joists.

Here is my begining. I'm doing this by myself..cuz my help got another job....

N0 problem...I know my way around construction.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3778922 - 04/30/10 11:20 PM Attachment (52 downloads)

Another from the North side. I'm just getting the central joist hung. I bolted 2 4x4 to the concrete pier so I could suport the center of the floor.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3778932 - 04/30/10 11:24 PM Attachment (55 downloads)

A bit more done. I'm moving pretty good...even huffing those 18ft 2x10 by myself......

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3778943 - 04/30/10 11:29 PM Attachment (49 downloads)

Getting dark...so I'm quiting for the night. I put in about 3 hours...and tomorrow my sweetheart will help me set another subfloor 4x4 on the south side. We decided to add an 18x18 deck off the South side so she can have a nice place to entertain as well.

More pics tomorrow. I plan on finishing up by laying all the joist hangers...set all the inner bracing and lay the 3/4" floor I'll order the wall lumber next so it will arrive on Monday/Tuesday. I can't have a huge pile of lumber laying around my office...so one stage at a time.

Rob

RobVG
scholastic sledgehammer

#3778946 - 04/30/10 11:31 PM

Looking good
Hope this weather clears up for ya.

David Johns
sage

Reged: 03/26/07

Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #3778953 - 04/30/10 11:33 PM

Looking good, Rob... and great habitat for an observatory.

One question... are you using only 4 concrete supports? If so, and I may have this wrong, will the floor be a bit bouncy?

Cheers
David

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3778958 - 04/30/10 11:42 PM

Quote:

Looking good
Hope this weather clears up for ya.

Yeah..I can work in drizzle....Not much more to go on the joists. I think I have 2..maybe 3 left to hang...then placing all the joist hangers. I have my air gun to nail down the floor. It should be exactly the hight of the concrete footer when done. I don't want there to be a concrete pier in the OB..just the steel black pier. Everything will be at floor level. I happen to have a used door from my office and a used window from my house...so I don;t have to buy these items. Just the 2x4's and T-111 siding. I also have the headers for both on hand as well.

I'm hardly believing that I'm gonna have a large 18x18 ROR OB...

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: David Johns]
      #3778978 - 05/01/10 12:00 AM Attachment (61 downloads)

Quote:

Looking good, Rob... and great habitat for an observatory.

One question... are you using only 4 concrete supports? If so, and I may have this wrong, will the floor be a bit bouncy?

Cheers
David

Oh..your're only seeing the four corner piers..there are many and the center is suported by 4x4's bolted to the central concrete pier. Here is a drawing of the subfloor framing design Dark brown is treated wood.. light represent the 2x10's (Not all are present)...just some to show the design.

Rob

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

#3779350 - 05/01/10 09:38 AM

Looking good so far Rob, please keep the photos coming.

Buhlig
sage

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: Chris Schroeder]
      #3779510 - 05/01/10 11:25 AM

Worries about hardmounting the floor joists to the telescope peir? Vibrations? In my case, even my carpet touching the pier mounting bolts is enought to cause noticeable vibe at high mags (planetary mostly) when I walk around in the obs..then again, my peir is nowhere near the size of the one you have. What I've read is you don't want anything touching you t-scope peir..period.

Sean

RobVG
scholastic sledgehammer

#3779610 - 05/01/10 12:34 PM

Quote:

In my case, even my carpet touching the pier mounting bolts is enought to cause noticeable vibe at high mags...
Sean

I'm glad you posted that Sean. I used spray foam between my concrete pier and the framing to keep critters out. I get vibs too just from walking but a few people said they used the stuff with no problems. Maybe pier size does has something to do with it.

Cheers,
Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3779714 - 05/01/10 01:29 PM

Well I did think of all that but since the pier base is sunk into the ground 5ft and that it is also nearly 4ft wide/long it is an immense amount of concrete over 4 tons worth...I'm taking the gamble.

I'll finish up the floor today.....

Rob

astrotrf
Not at all Mundane

Reged: 09/30/07

Loc: Rodeo, NM
      #3779761 - 05/01/10 02:00 PM

Quote:

Well I did think of all that but since the pier base is sunk into the ground 5ft and that it is also nearly 4ft wide/long it is an immense amount of concrete over 4 tons worth...I'm taking the gamble.

Good luck with that, Rob -- but I gotta say I wouldn't take your side in the office pool. The total mass of the concrete isn't really the controlling factor here; it's transmission of vibration. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

GShaffer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/28/09

Loc: Bogart, Ga USA
Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: astrotrf]
      #3779970 - 05/01/10 04:27 PM

Have to side with Terry myself Rob..... The shear mass is not going to matter that much when it comes to transmitting vibrations.

I am so sure of that I would say its not too late at this point to rethink that design and modify it.....I am just sayin

mikey cee
Postmaster

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: GShaffer]
      #3779990 - 05/01/10 04:39 PM

Rob....I think you have too much weight riding on those four pier blocks. Around here I'd have me frost line footings with severasl courses of rebar in them. Harder than heck to get to them later on. Mike

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3780523 - 05/01/10 11:31 PM Attachment (54 downloads)

I'v considered what everyone has said and I know afixing the floor to the pier is not a smart idea if vibration is your enemy.......so I redesigned my sub floor beams and put them all on blocks....I am also going to add support on all of the walls in mid span with blocks and 4x4's. We don't have a frost line here..we have a rain line. It way get down past 32deg 4 days out of the year. Vibration isn't a real issue for me anyway...I generally view alone and am not worried. I am more concerned with the structure suport then anything else.

Tomorrow..I will finish adding the joist blocking and the lag bolts for all the corners and support 4x4's...then I will lay the 3/4" floor.

Here are some pics of todays work.

Looking out one of my office second floor windows.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3780532 - 05/01/10 11:36 PM Attachment (61 downloads)

My beautiful wife standing by for reference. This is before the added 4 block and 4x4 suports for each side were in place.

andyschlei
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/05/06

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
      #3780651 - 05/02/10 02:07 AM

Great progress!

astrotrf
Not at all Mundane

#3781423 - 05/02/10 01:21 PM

Quote:

Vibration isn't a real issue for me anyway...I generally view alone and am not worried.

The other vibration consideration is that wind will vibrate the building, which will get transferred through your floor supports and thus into the pier. It doesn't sound like much, but at high magnification ... well, I just don't want to see you surprised.

My house is built on a concrete slab. I can put a cup of water on the table by my chair and arrange a light so I can watch the light's reflection in the water, and then watch the vibrations from footfalls going down the hall.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3781580 - 05/02/10 03:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Vibration isn't a real issue for me anyway...I generally view alone and am not worried.

The other vibration consideration is that wind will vibrate the building, which will get transferred through your floor supports and thus into the pier. It doesn't sound like much, but at high magnification ... well, I just don't want to see you surprised.

My house is built on a concrete slab. I can put a cup of water on the table by my chair and arrange a light so I can watch the light's reflection in the water, and then watch the vibrations from footfalls going down the hall.

I used to set up my 6"f/15 on a 6in thick concrete slab and still when you walked on it you got vibration. On a windy day the scope would act more like a sail, and that was more troublesome then any building/floor vibrations.

I don't view in windy weather anyway. It messes up the view regardless of any vibration at high mag.

Todays further mods will be done and the floor will go down.....

Thanks for everyones suggestions.

Rob

mikey cee
Postmaster

#3781808 - 05/02/10 05:04 PM

Rob....Will the pier go up after the floor is laid? Who needs the hassle of muscling that animal through a door way. You'll have plenty of room to frame up the walls which will lay out on the decking. Mike

Steve Fisher

Reged: 08/12/06

Loc: Utah
      #3782388 - 05/02/10 09:33 PM

During my High School days my teacher tried to teach me the Pathagorean Theorem. He tried in vain.

It was at this juncture on my first framing session where I learned how to put this principle to work. If A squared plus B squared equals C squared then the building is square.

It is looking good.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3782510 - 05/02/10 10:37 PM Attachment (65 downloads)

Quote:

Rob....Will the pier go up after the floor is laid? Who needs the hassle of muscling that animal through a door way. You'll have plenty of room to frame up the walls which will lay out on the decking. Mike

Man I'm tired...I'm building this thing by myself...so huffing lumber around is tiring. Yes I will build 3 walls first...then bring in the pier and bolt it down. Today I did all the mods I wanted to do and had to lay some blocking to support butting ends of sheeting...It was also drizzling..to make things real fun. I will have to go get another 10ft 2x10 to add another joist. I made a modification to my subfloor and it caused the joist to be moved...so Now I have to support the floor seam with anothr joist. I'll be ordering the wall materials...ie.. 2x4s and siding tomorrow.

I needed to get the scope disassembled so I had my daughter and the nieghbour help....OH DEAR LORD! That tube is freeking heaving with the spotters mounted and the lens in. Befoe I remount it I'll again remove everything and then mount it...way much easier.

Here is the scope just before we broke our backs getting it f down. I daughter got on the roof...I was on the ladder(to open the tube rings) and James was on the ground taking the weight....

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3782518 - 05/02/10 10:41 PM Attachment (56 downloads)

And now some pics of the floor being layed.
Here I'm beginning to lay some floor.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3782538 - 05/02/10 10:56 PM

As you can see..I added the additional blocking for all the center suports...bolted them to the 2x10's at all locations and added additional floor blocking. The floor is exactly level with the top of the concrete pier. Kinda like I planned it.. I'll add some more blocking by where the steps will be bolted to the outer 2x10 on the North side(shallowest side) After all the sheeting is layed I will snap lines where the joist are and nail away. I put a leading nail at the edge of each sheet on a joist..so I can simply snap a line from it. I'll snap lines on the first sheets layed first...then nail. (easier I think)

I'm beat!

Rob

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

Reged: 11/07/04

Loc: Loc: Loc:
      #3782576 - 05/02/10 11:15 PM

Thats incredible Rob! Nice job.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: Sky Captain]
      #3782609 - 05/02/10 11:30 PM

Quote:

Thats incredible Rob! Nice job.

Thanks bro..I hope to have 3 walls up by next week...then I'll borrow my daughers friends to help take the Cave head off the pier...so we can relocate it to the OB pier base.

Thanks again.

Rob

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

#3783076 - 05/03/10 07:43 AM

My back hurts just looking at the OTA of your refractor.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3783415 - 05/03/10 11:26 AM

Quote:

My back hurts just looking at the OTA of your refractor.

Well I'm feeling super today.... ...I'm guessing the tube weighs about 250lbish. Taking it down was waaay harder then putting it up..since I added everything after the tube was cradled. We got'er down and now I'll finish some touchups and tinker on the dew cap before it is once again completely disassembled so it can be again reassembled in the OB. The tube weighs about 120 by itself(including spotter brackets and baffle system, and back plate/lens cell adapter)

Lumber for the walls and roofs external support arrives on Tuesday...giving me today to finish up the floor.

Rob

Aircrftr
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/29/06

Loc: Claremore OK
      #3785312 - 05/04/10 09:09 AM

WOW!! that is one big honkin scope!!! Just.... Wow

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: Aircrftr]
      #3785349 - 05/04/10 09:31 AM

Quote:

WOW!! that is one big honkin scope!!! Just.... Wow

Thanks...and it NEEDS a nice big ROR OB......I disassembled it and removed the OTA to the scope garage..so I can dismount the Cave head and get the 8ft pier in the OB.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3786779 - 05/04/10 09:29 PM

Amidts the rain and wind I finished the floor of my OB today.

Yesterday my sweety wanted to go shoping at the mall instead.... of let me work on the floor.

I know when to tow the line.....

The lumber for the walls and roof support arrived today...so I'll begin tomorrow building walls...

I'm gonna need help for that I'm sure.

Next...3 walls.

Rob

RobVG
scholastic sledgehammer

#3788709 - 05/05/10 09:19 PM

I have Saturday morning/afternoon free. I you need an extra mule PM me.

Rob(VG)

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3788880 - 05/05/10 11:17 PM Attachment (41 downloads)

Quote:

I have Saturday morning/afternoon free. I you need an extra mule PM me.

Rob(VG)

Rob..my sweety says I will be available after 12:30....

She has Friday off and so she said she'd help me too....

Just let me know if you still want to make it for an afternoon gig. I can use you to help take the head of the pier...so we can move the pier into the OB.... so we can finish the South wall...

I put up the framing for the North wall...all by myself today. The walls will be 2.5" shorter then the siding so there is room for the rollers to be hidden behind the siding.

Here are some first pics.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3788890 - 05/05/10 11:21 PM Attachment (51 downloads)

And one from the North side. I'm going to recess the 4x6x18 beam 2ft into the wall. I didn't set the door header..yest cuz I'm not sure what hight I want the door yet. No problem to hang the header later.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3788907 - 05/05/10 11:28 PM Attachment (51 downloads)

And one with the lumber pile. I have everything in there for the walls and the support frame for the roof..just not the roof material. That will be next after the walls are finished...

Fun fun fun. Those are 8ft walls..same hight at the steel pier.

Rob

mikey cee
Postmaster

#3789078 - 05/06/10 02:36 AM

Give or take a few inches that's just what I did. Ya' gots to have high walls when ya' has a refractor....no two ways about it. Mike

Galaxyhunter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/02/06

Loc: Northern Illinois
      #3789194 - 05/06/10 06:58 AM

Nice job Rob, Looks like your coming right along.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3789309 - 05/06/10 08:48 AM

Quote:

Give or take a few inches that's just what I did. Ya' gots to have high walls when ya' has a refractor....no two ways about it. Mike

Hey Mike....Exactly how big is your OB?

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: Galaxyhunter]
      #3789321 - 05/06/10 09:00 AM

Quote:

Nice job Rob, Looks like your coming right along.

Thanks....I'm building the South wall today.

I was talking to my wife about the build and I mentioned I will be putting in a small window on the East side so I can see to the house....then while saying it it dawned on me....wait! A window means any light she may want to turn on will quickly and easily shine into the OB. I don't want that..I want as much darkness as possible. What am I thinking....it isn't just a warm room...its the inside of the OB....

Neadless to say...I'm nixin the window.

Rob

mikey cee
Postmaster

#3789423 - 05/06/10 10:00 AM

Rob....My ceiling height is 8'-10-1/2". My wall heights are 8'-4". My inside dimensions are 14' x 12'. My footprint is just the ticket for a 106" FL scope. At the zenith my binoviewers are about 52" above the carpet. Mike

mikey cee
Postmaster

#3789427 - 05/06/10 10:04 AM

Rob....Have you ever heard of window shades? Keep the window in there. I'd want to keep an eye on things up at the house. I'm just nosey by nature. Mike

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3789648 - 05/06/10 12:00 PM

Quote:

Rob....My ceiling height is 8'-10-1/2". My wall heights are 8'-4". My inside dimensions are 14' x 12'. My footprint is just the ticket for a 106" FL scope. At the zenith my binoviewers are about 52" above the carpet. Mike

Perfect OB Mike.

I could have sqeeked by with a 16x16...but I hate the thought of being cramped in a wooden box..if several people are in there with me. The extra 2 ft all the way around is nice.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3789655 - 05/06/10 12:03 PM

Quote:

Rob....Have you ever heard of window shades? Keep the window in there. I'd want to keep an eye on things up at the house. I'm just nosey by nature. Mike

Yeah..giving it more thought I figured having the window is a nice extra...which as you pointed out..can have blinds on it. It does make peeking out nicer.

It won't cost more or require any more work to add it.

Rob

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

#3789682 - 05/06/10 12:19 PM

Hey Rob, looks like some nice weather is back...more building planned?

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3789893 - 05/06/10 01:50 PM

Quote:

Hey Rob, looks like some nice weather is back...more building planned?

Is there *More building planned*... You bet bro....

I hope to build the South wall today after work....and on Friday.....I've employed my wife to help with stuff.
I have a Systic Fibrosis Walk to go to on Saturday morning...but by 12:30..I'll be back at it. RobV from Seattle might come out and help too. He's another OB builder from CN. While he's here..I'll have him help me remove the Cave head from the pier...so we can lift the pier into the OB and bolt it down.
Then I'll begin to build the East wall.

Rob

RobVG
scholastic sledgehammer

#3790551 - 05/06/10 08:08 PM

PM sent

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3790999 - 05/07/10 12:18 AM

I got your PM Rob and I'm scheduling the day. I'll PM you back soon with the info you need.

Well today I got the South wall up..but it looks like I'll only get the Westerly wall set up and cut but probably not up by Friday..cuz My sweetheart and I are going to a play.
I'll be back at it Saturday afternoon..after my Systic Fybrosis walk-a-thon gig.

I'm hoping to employ whom ever comes to help me remove the head from the pier..... Oh boy..

Rob

Spoonsize
DURHAM 157494

Reged: 08/27/04

Loc: Stuck in a Time Warp.
      #3791234 - 05/07/10 07:41 AM

It's been some time since I posted, still following your saga, just the same. The scope looks and sounds great! That's some build. The observatory? How about the door header at a standard door height for a prehung exterior door? Windows? Blinds on the inside are good, and you could add an awning on the outside. With the overhang set just right you should be able to block the sun duing the winter as well. Wrap it with white steel roofing, top and sides.

I really like the idea this will all be complete before I ever get a chance to visit!

Steve

csa/montana
Den Mama

#3791488 - 05/07/10 10:29 AM

Rob; been following your thread; hats off to you!

I have one thing to say about your scope:

That is unbelievable; what a beauty!

Thanks for sharing your building with us; it's very enjoyable, plus filled with great information.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: Spoonsize]
      #3791695 - 05/07/10 11:57 AM

Quote:

It's been some time since I posted, still following your saga, just the same. The scope looks and sounds great! That's some build. The observatory? How about the door header at a standard door height for a prehung exterior door? Windows? Blinds on the inside are good, and you could add an awning on the outside. With the overhang set just right you should be able to block the sun duing the winter as well. Wrap it with white steel roofing, top and sides.

I really like the idea this will all be complete before I ever get a chance to visit!

Steve

HI Spoon..thanks for posting. Yes I will be using the kind of roofing you suggested and it will be clad on all sies too. I left the door header off cuz I could lift the wall by myself with it nailed in...... (I ain't super man)

I've had no help thus far so I procede daily with a wall.

Saturday..it looks like I will have some help to remove the head from the pier...place the pier in the OB and finish up the East wall.

These are my hopes any way.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3791729 - 05/07/10 12:14 PM Attachment (41 downloads)

Quote:

Rob; been following your thread; hats off to you!

I have one thing to say about your scope:

That is unbelievable; what a beauty!

Thanks for sharing your building with us; it's very enjoyable, plus filled with great information.

Thanks Carol...

Just one obsessed guys fun. I build the South wall last night before we went shopping...here is a pic.

Probably won't do much tonight..since I have a play to attend and some CN friends are coming over to do some imaging later as well. Maybe I'll get the lumber cut and layed out.

Rob

csa/montana
Den Mama

#3791757 - 05/07/10 12:27 PM

Looking great; you have a beautiful site there!

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3791925 - 05/07/10 01:34 PM

Quote:

Looking great; you have a beautiful site there!

Thanks Carol....we are tucked nicely in a big bowel of trees...and Gold Mtn..which act like a great light shield. We get no light from Bremerton, and very little from Port Orchard. Even though our Eastern horizon is the lowest.

I'm thinking that this 18x18 building is looking pretty BIG. I'm gonna have so much room inside I can't wait.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3792194 - 05/07/10 03:38 PM Attachment (46 downloads)

Here's a picture looking up from the horseshoe pits.

Nice dark blue sky.....

Rob

seryddwr
Innocent Bystander

#3792385 - 05/07/10 05:12 PM

Nice woods, hope Sasquatch stays away.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3792457 - 05/07/10 05:47 PM

Quote:

Oh he lives in my flower bed.

We Smell him often......

Rob

astrotrf
Not at all Mundane

#3792768 - 05/07/10 08:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Oh he lives in my flower bed.

We Smell him often......

Rob

I hope he stays out of the horseshoe pits ...

Steve Fisher

#3792805 - 05/07/10 09:10 PM

I liked Robs picture so much that I went out to see what my house looks like from the horseshoe pits.

I'm having a problem finding my horseshoe pits.

Great work Rob. I wish I were nearer so I could stop by and help.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: Steve Fisher]
      #3792913 - 05/07/10 10:27 PM Attachment (39 downloads)

Quote:

I liked Robs picture so much that I went out to see what my house looks like from the horseshoe pits.

I'm having a problem finding my horseshoe pits.

Great work Rob. I wish I were nearer so I could stop by and help.

I wish you were here to......

Guess what...A CN friend has this Cronos mount and 16"RC he wants to leave set up in my OB with my 10"f/15. So he can come out when he can and not have to set the thing up every time he goes out. Its a beast..but extremely precision and extremely expensive.

I'm considering it. I can use if all I want in my OB.

What do you think?

Rob

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

#3792973 - 05/07/10 11:04 PM

Quote:

Nice dark blue sky.....

Rob

...and target area too.

Digital Don
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/20/04

Loc: Manteno, IL
      #3793092 - 05/08/10 12:50 AM Attachment (48 downloads)

"Nice woods, hope Sasquatch stays away..."

"Oh he lives in my flower bed..."

Hi Rob,

That's going to be a really nice observatory once you're finished!

Hope you don't mind, but I thought I saw something odd in your site picture so I enlarged a section of it...

Don

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3793099 - 05/08/10 01:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Nice dark blue sky.....

Rob

...and target area too.

Just the air soft gun targets.....

I think I might let John keep his awesome Cronos powerd 16"RC in my OB on rollers so it can be moved around.and put in a good observing place when needed.....Not sure though.

He really wants to get it in an OB..at least temporarily..so he can simply come out and observe/image. It took him/me from 4:00 to dark to set it up. It is a beast for sure...but extremely precise equipement.

The 16"RC is amazing....

Rob

EricJD
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/24/07

Loc: Chesapeake VA
Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: Digital Don]
      #3793373 - 05/08/10 08:44 AM

Quote:

Hi Rob,

Hope you don't mind, but I thought I saw something odd in your site picture so I enlarged a section of it...

Don

OMG, lol

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: Digital Don]
      #3793431 - 05/08/10 09:31 AM

Quote:

Hi Rob,

Don

Yeah..there he is.......poopy ole thing..

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3793447 - 05/08/10 09:38 AM Attachment (57 downloads)

John set up and was imaging..or well aligning and calibrating his very awesome 16"RC on a very impressive Cronos mount.

He and I ae going to work out some kind of arrangment for him to keep it here in my OB. It's far to computerized for me currently...I'll need a year of classes to bring me up to speed on it.

He has all the bells and whistles...Awesome SBIG camera electric camera rotator..and freeky cool filter wheel.
TAK spotter and this scope can do everything.....I'm floored. He said it is well worth more then 120K....

And he wants to keep it here.....

Rob

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

#3793531 - 05/08/10 10:26 AM

I can see why he wants to keeps it set up all of the time. That must take quite a bit of to set up and tear down. Impressive though

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3793570 - 05/08/10 10:49 AM

Quote:

I can see why he wants to keeps it set up all of the time. That must take quite a bit of to set up and tear down. Impressive though

Yeah it took us 5 hours to set up...it's pretty intriquate.

A true professional instrument.

He said he wants it in a permanent location so he can just come out and use it.
I would make some casters for it so I can roll it around then lock it down when it is in use.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3794451 - 05/08/10 07:01 PM Attachment (48 downloads)

Well had my Systic fybrosis walk and I'm home...I visited for a bit with John..then RobVG showed up from Seattle.

He came by to help me with the West wall of my OB and while he was here I employed him to help me remove my Cave mount from the 8ft pier....BOY was that fun Rob....

Ok OK..I thought it was about 120lb..but maybe it was more like 175lb.... We did good and your muscley help was very much appreciated. Thanks so very much again.

I'm sorry we didn;t have more time to talk and I forgot(through all my gabbering) to show you my mirror making area...

Guess we were too busy framing walls and *huffin* heads(Cave GEM heads) to get to any of that.

Well maybe next time you can come out for some viewing and some less rushed chatter.

You were a life saver today Bro.

Here are some pics of the work we did.

Rob(the other Rob)

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3794468 - 05/08/10 07:09 PM Attachment (50 downloads)

Here is one with my office and in the distance is the headless pier(with my green 6"f/15).

Thanks so much Rob for helping me.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3794492 - 05/08/10 07:22 PM Attachment (58 downloads)

Now Kerry (Sky Captain) and his lovely wife Cindy will be coming over for a few this evening to marvel at John's amazing 16" RC and mount.....and to do some viewing with Kerry's 12" Lightbridge...I can't wait. Earlier Rob met John for the first time and they chatted about scopes and stuff...here is an image of them in John's camp.

We had a grate time visiting.

Rob(dig that scope)

wormstar
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/09

Loc: Central Ct
      #3794633 - 05/08/10 08:49 PM

That's a sweet rig, I could easily swing the 120k$ for a similar setup.
Of course I would be living in the boxes it shipped in

RobVG
scholastic sledgehammer

#3794788 - 05/08/10 10:51 PM

It was really nice meating you Rob. That's quite a compound you have there

I had a good time working with you.

I think you should weigh that head before you hoist it up- just out of curiosity. I't may be 125lbs but as soon as we picked it up off the pier it felt like 500. I'm sooo glad we didn't drop it...

Clear skies,
RobVG

Scott Horstman
Vendor - Backyard Observatories

Reged: 03/11/04

Loc: Here, There and Everywhere
      #3794842 - 05/08/10 11:33 PM

I'm not sure what your better half will think about this idea Rob but if John wanted to set up permanent at my place I'd go ahead and pour a 12x12 (at least) slab and build a "guest" observatory for him. The one your working on is sized to fit the new scope just right but you aint putting the RC in there too.

God I love offering up ideas to help you spend your money!

mikey cee
Postmaster

#3794876 - 05/08/10 11:56 PM

Rob....The easy part is getting the 16" RC in the observatory. The hard part could be getting it out....if you get my drift. Mike

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3795309 - 05/09/10 10:44 AM

Quote:

It was really nice meating you Rob. That's quite a compound you have there

I had a good time working with you.

I think you should weigh that head before you hoist it up- just out of curiosity. I't may be 125lbs but as soon as we picked it up off the pier it felt like 500. I'm sooo glad we didn't drop it...

Clear skies,
RobVG

Rob your help was so appreciated...and meeting you was great too. You're a great guy...and CN buddy

Hope to see you at a party soon.

You were my hero with that EQ head.......

Rob

GShaffer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/28/09

Loc: Bogart, Ga USA
      #3795405 - 05/09/10 11:37 AM

Both you guys know this is a family oriented forum.....You have to stop all this "meating" and just "meet" like regular folks

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3795411 - 05/09/10 11:40 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure what your better half will think about this idea Rob but if John wanted to set up permanent at my place I'd go ahead and pour a 12x12 (at least) slab and build a "guest" observatory for him. The one your working on is sized to fit the new scope just right but you aint putting the RC in there too.

God I love offering up ideas to help you spend your money!

I appreciate that very much. One thing I'm considering is permitting him to pay for a small 8x8 building with pad. So he can keep it permanently set up......If he likes that idea then that might work too.

The more I think about it..I'm not sure I want it to share my OB..cus I'd be limited to were I can go inside.

Plus I would have to either cut up the floor and add a concrete footer or reinforce the floor some how.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3804410 - 05/13/10 11:11 PM Attachment (49 downloads)

Well things have been a bit slow here getting my OB finished..far to much family drama...to let that happen....

Well it was clear today so I jumped on it and through up the East wall with its window. I leveled the walls and placed external bracing. I will now make internal corner bracing and then begin to side it in the next few days....Since it is suposed to be clear till the weekend then it's suposed to rain again..

After I power nail it down and finish the siding..I'll work on the roof suport system. Sometime in all that I'll get some help to relocate the steel pier to its new home....

Here are some new pics.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3804422 - 05/13/10 11:15 PM Attachment (37 downloads)

Here is one of the concrete pier base. I'm so happy it is so level and flush to the floor...just like I planned.

No tripping over the edge in the dark.

That hole in the floor is for electrical conduit for the pier.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3804478 - 05/13/10 11:36 PM Attachment (56 downloads)

And lastly one kinda elevated looking across the way from the scope garage.

Fun fun fun.

Siding next.

Steve Fisher

#3804564 - 05/14/10 12:29 AM

Quote:

Since it is suposed to be clear till the weekend then it's suposed to rain again..
Rob

Reminds me of the summer we lived in Issaquah. (sorry Kerry) Then we moved to the Lakewood/Tacoma area for the next three years so we could enjoy the waterskiing season on American lake. July 4th through July 28th.

Looking good Rob.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3805340 - 05/14/10 12:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Since it is suposed to be clear till the weekend then it's suposed to rain again..
Rob

Reminds me of the summer we lived in Issaquah. (sorry Kerry) Then we moved to the Lakewood/Tacoma area for the next three years so we could enjoy the waterskiing season on American lake. July 4th through July 28th.

Looking good Rob.

Oh..Kerry gets more rain then I do for sure....we're in a rain shadow area.....Thank the Lord.

Another sunny day....and we'll be siding.

Onyone want to come by and help me move the pier into the OB

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3807985 - 05/15/10 11:13 PM

Well I finished the siding today and added the step suport to the frame under the doorway. Had some CN friends from Bend Oregon stop by so we visited for a spell.

Now I need to work on the roof support beams.

No pics at this time...my camera is not allowing them to be downloaded to my computer.....

I was gone for most of the day doing arrands.....Man why is it always on nice free days I have to be about *OTHER* things. OH well...I'll get it done. I have 3 people on the crew now...Me..myself..and I.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3809011 - 05/16/10 03:59 PM Attachment (48 downloads)

Got some pics of the siding of the OB.

Here is one of the West side and finishing the south wall.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3809018 - 05/16/10 04:03 PM Attachment (42 downloads)

Siding around the window.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3809026 - 05/16/10 04:07 PM Attachment (40 downloads)

And an elevated view of the nearly completed siding.

Now I'll clean up a bit and then prepare to set the support beams for the roof roll off portion.

Rob(thanks for peekin in)

astrotrf
Not at all Mundane

#3809157 - 05/16/10 05:27 PM

The three of you are making great progress!

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3809457 - 05/16/10 08:38 PM Attachment (46 downloads)

Yeah *we* can get things done when need be..but I don't think my two *buddies* are gonna be enough when it comes to setting 2 2ft 4x6 treated beams....10ft off the ground.

Nope..these guys are lazy when real work is called to do.

Here are more pics of the completed *shell*.

This was taken from my office second floor window.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3809462 - 05/16/10 08:41 PM Attachment (40 downloads)

and one of the completed door step..looking inside at the pier base.

Now I have to find a door for cheap. I'll be siding the interior with peg board..so I can hang shelves and pictures very easily.

Rob

John Wunderlin
Vendor - Spike-a Focusing Mask

Reged: 10/01/04

Loc: Mineral Point, Wi
      #3809493 - 05/16/10 09:01 PM

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: John Wunderlin]
      #3809569 - 05/16/10 09:58 PM Attachment (43 downloads)

The horses are wondering,....*what the heck have you done*...?

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3809573 - 05/16/10 10:01 PM Attachment (41 downloads)

A West wall view showing the cut outs for the 4x6 suport beams to pass though.

I'v got some great ideas for the roof build and my method.....so stay tuned. Just wating for a helper to arrive to help me move the wood to the West side.

What a beautiful day it has been.

Rob

Steve Fisher

#3809613 - 05/16/10 10:22 PM

Rob:

Great work. You guys are awesome.

Find the local Door shop where the builders buy or use to buy steel entry doors. They will have some "fall down's" I can guarantee it. I'll bet you can find a door that looks good on the outside that has a gash or dent on the inside. Paint er' up and cover the inside with some nice Hubble prints and you will NEVER notice the dent on the inside.

Two years ago I bought twenty of them for $20.00 each, prehung. They are out there.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3809633 - 05/16/10 10:36 PM

That is a super idea..and one I'll look into for sure.

Thanks.

Rob

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #3809643 - 05/16/10 10:40 PM

You've done some really nice work! I'll bet you're dying for first light.

David

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #3810202 - 05/17/10 09:31 AM

Nice work there Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #3810329 - 05/17/10 10:48 AM

Quote:

David

Indeed.....but I've so much more to do I need to stay focused. I'm still looking for descendants of the Greek gods to help me put the 8ft..3/16" steel walled...200+lb monster obolisk in the OB.....

Rob(thanks)

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3810356 - 05/17/10 11:02 AM

Quote:

Nice work there Rob

Thanks Chris....My wife was a bit suprised herself. After noticing I actually made it square and plumb.....she said, *I didn't even know you new how to use a hammer*...? *Let alone build this big 18x18 wooden structure..using only penciled plans*

Well what does one say to that......?

Wait till I have the opportunity to screw up the roof..then you might have a good case for my inability. I mumbled.....

I'm really at a 2 man stage now..I need help lifting and supporting the main support beams while I measure and mount them
I need to find help.

Rob

hm insulators
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/07

#3810684 - 05/17/10 01:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

David

Indeed.....but I've so much more to do I need to stay focused.

No pun intended, I'm sure.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: hm insulators]
      #3811091 - 05/17/10 05:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

David

Indeed.....but I've so much more to do I need to stay focused.

No pun intended, I'm sure.

Pun.....my life is a pun....

I figured out how I can build the roof by myself....

I'll amaze my wife fer sure.

I'll simply build 2 suports for either end of the roof to hold the roof cap 3x6. They will be leveled/plumb and only raise the roof cap 7ft. Once the roof cap is in place..I can simply cut each roof joist/rafter for each side and work my way down the roof till it is finished. Then..I'll finish off both gable ends and then remove the support braces.

Each one will be cut out to hold the 2x6..craddled tightly.

A second set of hands for sure..and since the roof cap 2x6 is a 20fter I have lots of room for the bracing and then for the gable overhang.

Rob

andyschlei
professor emeritus

#3811167 - 05/17/10 06:19 PM

Rob,

The observatory looks great! Lots of good, hard work there.

--Andy

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: andyschlei]
      #3811272 - 05/17/10 07:17 PM

Quote:

Rob,

The observatory looks great! Lots of good, hard work there.

--Andy

Thanks Andy. I checked for square continually. I'm mostly concerned with the North and Southern walls..since they are the ones supporting the rollers. Some others have experienced binding with the *V* groove rollers on angle iron. One reason I bailed on that idea. If my OB was smaller...like 10x10..I might have used that system.

I'll still have steel on steel...which gives nice smooth rolling. But the wooden guide rails will prevent the rollers from leaving their rails.

Rob(smarter folks have gone on before)

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

#3818746 - 05/20/10 11:57 PM

Looking good Rob!!!!!

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3819531 - 05/21/10 12:28 PM

Quote:

Looking good Rob!!!!!

Thanks Kerry.....However the heavy rain this last week has prevented me from doing anything further.

I have my steel rail material and everything to get the roof support system installed. Just need some helper and clear weather.

You wouldn't happen to know of anyone who might be able to throw a few hours my may.....say....on Saturday? When it's clear?

Rob

RS67Man
Tinker King

Reged: 11/10/07

Loc: Spanaway, WA USA!
      #3820966 - 05/22/10 01:07 AM

Help is on the way Rob, see ya Saturday!

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

#3821023 - 05/22/10 01:56 AM

Sorry I can't Rob, gotta help Cindys mom & dad this weekend, but it looks like Walt and Tom are heading your way.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: RS67Man]
      #3821936 - 05/22/10 02:29 PM

Thanks dude.

Rob

Doug76
Long Achro Junkie

Reged: 12/05/07

Loc: Refractor Heaven
      #3822145 - 05/22/10 04:48 PM

Well Rob, I like waiting to read these observatory threads after they go along a while. Keeps my interest up, and this one surely is doing that!
About the attaching your floor supports to the pier: Yes, it could cause vibration, but if your like me. you're not moving while viewing, so no vibration.
For similar reasons as yours, my roof rolls off to the east, not north. Beaucoup trees on the east side.
The build looks good so far, the scope is awesome, and I have no doubt you will really enjoy it. I know having mine maximizes my viewing time, no more set up to do, just get right to it.
As for your friend with the RC, absolutely, a separate and smaller obs for him. It will seem like building a toy after this 18x18!

Looking forward to "the rest of the story" (thank you Paul Harvey)

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: Doug76]
      #3822603 - 05/22/10 09:26 PM

Quote:

Well Rob, I like waiting to read these observatory threads after they go along a while. Keeps my interest up, and this one surely is doing that!
About the attaching your floor supports to the pier: Yes, it could cause vibration, but if your like me. you're not moving while viewing, so no vibration.
For similar reasons as yours, my roof rolls off to the east, not north. Beaucoup trees on the east side.
The build looks good so far, the scope is awesome, and I have no doubt you will really enjoy it. I know having mine maximizes my viewing time, no more set up to do, just get right to it.
As for your friend with the RC, absolutely, a separate and smaller obs for him. It will seem like building a toy after this 18x18!

Looking forward to "the rest of the story" (thank you Paul Harvey)

Thanks a lot Doug....WE actually got lots done today before the rain set in. I will post bunches of pics soon. We built the support structure for the ROR and we set the pier onto the base. The 8ft pier dropped rite onto its mounting bolts with no problem...exact fit and after I checked for level(spot on) I bolted it down. Pics of that coming too.

What a day..thanx so much Tom(Pegster) and Walt(RS67man) my CN buddies who live close by.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3822698 - 05/22/10 10:24 PM Attachment (35 downloads)

Here are those pics I promised.

First Tom checking out the beams for crowns......I guess I bought good lumber...it was nice.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3822704 - 05/22/10 10:27 PM Attachment (43 downloads)

First support in. North side.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3822708 - 05/22/10 10:29 PM Attachment (31 downloads)

Tom handing the beam up to Walt and he to me...

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3822738 - 05/22/10 10:46 PM Attachment (33 downloads)

Tom Measuring the support before he cut it.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3822743 - 05/22/10 10:48 PM Attachment (41 downloads)

One side all framed up.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3822749 - 05/22/10 10:51 PM Attachment (29 downloads)

Walt picking up after we're all done.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3822766 - 05/22/10 10:57 PM Attachment (36 downloads)

View North as the rain clouds come in.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3822786 - 05/22/10 11:06 PM Attachment (36 downloads)

Tom huffin the pier on a dolly.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3822791 - 05/22/10 11:08 PM Attachment (35 downloads)

Tom and Walt setting it in place.

What good buddies.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3822794 - 05/22/10 11:10 PM Attachment (37 downloads)

It's in. and Tomand Walt say, *what's the problem..perfect fit*.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3822801 - 05/22/10 11:12 PM Attachment (58 downloads)

And my final pic of the pier in after all was done.

I'm pretty pumped with todays work...thanks Tom and Walt.

Next is the roof...............

square_peg
Postmaster

Reged: 03/26/04

Loc: Maple Valley, WA
      #3822858 - 05/22/10 11:42 PM

Thanks for your hospitality today, Rob. Had a great time!

RS67Man
Tinker King

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: square_peg]
      #3822901 - 05/23/10 12:03 AM

Definitely a guys day, and the burgers at the end were great! Really enjoyed helping out, this was what I needed to get my mind off of things.

Walt (wait till Pegs posts his pics)

square_peg
Postmaster

#3822979 - 05/23/10 01:04 AM Attachment (49 downloads)

Quote:

Walt (wait till Pegs posts his pics)

Thanks for hosting us for a fun work party today, Rob.

It's quite an ambitious project you have going out there (which is just what we've learned to expect from you).

Today we set the exterior beams for the roll off roof. There's still some more bracing to put up but at least we have the structure stabilized. Those beams are about 12' in the air at the far end.

square_peg
Postmaster

#3822980 - 05/23/10 01:05 AM Attachment (40 downloads)

We carefully aligned the beams to the main structure and plumbed up the posts. The work went very well, just according to plan. Rob and Walt and I worked together well.

square_peg
Postmaster

#3822981 - 05/23/10 01:06 AM Attachment (46 downloads)

Walt couldn't resist having a little fun when we moved the obelisk into the observatory.

I'm calling this photo "The Dawn of Man."

square_peg
Postmaster

#3822982 - 05/23/10 01:07 AM Attachment (47 downloads)

After we finished working for the day we had a few cold ones and Rob grilled us up some burgers. It was a great time and it brought us one day closer to the many great times we'll all have out there once this place is completed.

djallar
sage

Reged: 09/23/07

Loc: Fogelsville, PA - 40.59'N 75.6...
      #3823224 - 05/23/10 06:37 AM

Great job! It's about time you three (me, myself & I) got some help!

Really coming together now, toughest part to go, though. Looks like you & the crew will handle it easily.

djallar
sage

#3823225 - 05/23/10 06:39 AM

Quote:

Walt couldn't resist having a little fun when we moved the obelisk into the observatory.

That's funny! A little warning next time so I don't have a mouth full of coffee, OK?

csa/montana
Den Mama

#3823447 - 05/23/10 09:58 AM

Congratulations guys; that's going to be a fantastic observatory! It's really nice that friends can get together to lend a hand!

Beautiful photos, Pegster!

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: djallar]
      #3824030 - 05/23/10 02:54 PM

Quote:

Great job! It's about time you three (me, myself & I) got some help!

Really coming together now, toughest part to go, though. Looks like you & the crew will handle it easily.

Pegster(aka Tom) Is one of those real smart contractor thingy guys. His words and advice are greatly appreciated....I'm gonna take full advantage of his skills when the roof goes up.

Now..will it be pre-made trusses or on site made trusses?

I'll lay the steel rail and then build the roller/caster plate next..to make sure the roof rolls good...long before trusses are nailed on.

Rob(I'm so excited)

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3824035 - 05/23/10 02:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's funny! A little warning next time so I don't have a mouth full of coffee, OK?

Yeah and when I returned they were all laughin and I asked what was up...but everyone was tongue tide.

Jokesters.

Rob

andyschlei
professor emeritus

#3824048 - 05/23/10 03:05 PM

Wow, that's some pier. Great progress!

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3824055 - 05/23/10 03:08 PM

Quote:

Congratulations guys; that's going to be a fantastic observatory! It's really nice that friends can get together to lend a hand!

Beautiful photos, Pegster!

Thanks Carol. It keeps getting bigger and bigger.....18ft is a lot of room.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3824085 - 05/23/10 03:27 PM

Quote:

Wow, that's some pier. Great progress!

Thanks...when I designed it....I wanted to keep it as light as possible...but strong.

It has to hold a lot of weight.

Rob

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

#3824088 - 05/23/10 03:31 PM

Looking real good Rob, that is one massive pier.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3824216 - 05/23/10 04:42 PM

Quote:

Looking real good Rob, that is one massive pier.

Thanks...it has to hold a maassive scope.

Rob

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

#3825245 - 05/24/10 08:05 AM

That is does, I've seen it posted many time in Refractors, still makes me drool

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3826433 - 05/24/10 06:02 PM

Quote:

That is does, I've seen it posted many time in Refractors, still makes me drool

Thanks Chris....

I just ordered the lumber for the roof trusses. After falling out of my chair when I received my quote for prefabbed trusses and DANG!

$759 for 10 *C* type trusses(vaulted) Forget that.

I then ordered all the wood(even some treated bracing) for $321 from my lumber yard that will be delivered on Wednesday. I'll use the engineered truss plan as a guide...but will make my own trusses in place.

The galvanized metal roof will still be an additional $410 by itself. That comes later. Once piece at a time.

Rob

astrotrf
Not at all Mundane

#3827144 - 05/25/10 12:48 AM

Quote:

Hmmm ... I dunno that that's so out of line. I paid $800 for fourteen 22-foot trusses for my place, but that was 8 years ago. (Already! Still seems like just a few months ago I was watchin' the boom truck hoist 'em up!)

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3827896 - 05/25/10 12:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm ... I dunno that that's so out of line. I paid $800 for fourteen 22-foot trusses for my place, but that was 8 years ago. (Already! Still seems like just a few months ago I was watchin' the boom truck hoist 'em up!)

Well that number might not be out of line but it isn't coming from me. The lumber for the trusses and plus many more pieced for other items was only $310. I can site build 10 trusses for that kind of savings. The $400 saved will go toward the metal roof pannels.

I'm just not paying someone that kind of money when I can build them myself.

I cut the steel rail material and placed it on each wall. I also cut on the table saw the guide rail pieces as well.

Now I need to snap a straight line and then nail the guide rails to follow it..then screw down the metal rail against that.

Measure the exact distances along the way and duplicate it on the other wall. 17' 8.5" across. Then I'll build the roller plates for each side then teporarily secure the East wall with a 2x4, and secure the West side with a 2x4. I can then test roll the system all the way down the rails...and make adjustments as necessary. When good..begin building the trusses. I'll make a scafold as well.

Rob

hm insulators
Post Laureate

#3830268 - 05/26/10 04:27 PM

Quote:

Actually reminds me of the "object" on the cover of Led Zeppelin's Presence album.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3830318 - 05/26/10 04:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Actually reminds me of the "object" on the cover of Led Zeppelin's Presence album.

Walt has created a *cult* following for my telescope pier.....

The lumber for the ROR has arrived and I hope(if it ever stops raining) to begin putting the pieces together. It will begin with putting the ridge beam into its temporary end supports first.

Rob

Doug76
Long Achro Junkie

Reged: 12/05/07

Loc: Refractor Heaven
      #3830432 - 05/26/10 06:11 PM

Quote:

It will begin with putting the ridge beam into its temporary end supports first.

Rob

Just how we built mine.

square_peg
Postmaster

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: Doug76]
      #3830475 - 05/26/10 06:35 PM

If he's fabricating trusses on the ground then he may not need or want a ridge beam. I only set a ridge beam if I'm stick framing a roof.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3830913 - 05/27/10 12:03 AM

Quote:

If he's fabricating trusses on the ground then he may not need or want a ridge beam. I only set a ridge beam if I'm stick framing a roof.

Tom..I'm stick building the roof in place. I'm not going to build the trusses on the ground then attemp to hoist them up...no way.

Set the ridge beam(supported by end supports)..then lay each truss side against it and nail them in place then move on to the next.

Rob

RS67Man
Tinker King

#3830968 - 05/27/10 12:29 AM

Quote:

Glad I could help.......
I could not resist, I had wanted to do that ever since I first saw the picture of that "Megalithic" pier........

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3831602 - 05/27/10 12:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Glad I could help.......
I could not resist, I had wanted to do that ever since I first saw the picture of that "Megalithic" pier........

That's funny Walt. I knew you two were up to something....

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3832486 - 05/27/10 09:35 PM Attachment (39 downloads)

Ok a break in the rain..got me motivated.

So I built the ridge beam supports for each end and nailed them to the outter walls and then set the beam.

Here is a pic of the lumber and the ridge beam high up in the air...waiting for rafters to be nailed to it.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3832490 - 05/27/10 09:39 PM Attachment (41 downloads)

And to get that beam up there 7ft above the walls I first had to build a scafold inside the OB...I ussed the 8ft peir as a point of secured contact. So I bolted a 4x4 to the top plate and then layed cross 4x4's to the wall. On this I built a walk that I can stand on while building each truss.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3832499 - 05/27/10 09:42 PM Attachment (33 downloads)

Another view.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3832504 - 05/27/10 09:44 PM Attachment (41 downloads)

One from the outside showing the support for the ridge beam...West side.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3832510 - 05/27/10 09:46 PM Attachment (36 downloads)

Now before any rafters can be built I had to first make each top plate with rollers. Placed on their steel rail.

Here is an image of the South wall.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3832516 - 05/27/10 09:51 PM Attachment (42 downloads)

And a close up of the rollers on thier rail on the North wall. the rollers on thier cap board are just sitting there...I still have to finish making the guide boards that will sit on the inside of each roller..preventing them from rolling off.

I'll finish cutting the guides on the table saw..then I'll make my measurements to keep them alinged.

Once I get all these small issues out of the way..and the rollers are all aligned...I'll then begin laying in the truss beams. I'll measure one and then cut them all and then have a nailing fest.

Fun fun fun.

Rob

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

#3833125 - 05/28/10 08:25 AM

You making good progress Ron

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3833599 - 05/28/10 12:48 PM Attachment (44 downloads)

Quote:

You making good progress Ron

Being that this part of the project is up very high..15ft...I really needed some kind of scafold. A ladder just wasn't going to help. I can climb the ladder to the scafold level..oh about 9ft and work comfortably from the West side East. Once I arrive at the center...I'll simply disassemble the scafold and reverse it..then work the rest of the way. 5 trusses each side at 24" OC.

I'm using this engineered design as my blueprint. I'll be making some amendments to suit my needs.

Most likely I'll cut plywood bracing fascetts all at the same time and then take the ones needed up when building the truss.

It's raining like a pig dog again today...so hopefully it will let up enough for me to secure down the roller beams and mark out the 24"OC on each one for the truss placement.

Rob(It may take longer but I'll save loads of money)

Lorence
scholastic sledgehammer

#3834498 - 05/28/10 09:06 PM

Quote:

Being that this part of the project is up very high..15ft...I really needed some kind of scafold. A ladder just wasn't going to help. I can climb the ladder to the scafold level..oh about 9ft and work comfortably from the West side East. Once I arrive at the center...I'll simply disassemble the scafold and reverse it..then work the rest of the way. 5 trusses each side at 24" OC.

I'm using this engineered design as my blueprint. I'll be making some amendments to suit my needs.

Most likely I'll cut plywood bracing fascetts all at the same time and then take the ones needed up when building the truss.

Have you been following the thread on observatory cooling?

You might be doing yourself a favor if you put 6 inch raised heels on those trusses. They will allow you to put in a good layer of insulation and a space for ventilation should you find it necessary in the future.

http://www.1750canyondrive.com/Benefits_of_raised_trussing_for_energy_efficiency.html

Lorence

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3834564 - 05/28/10 10:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Have you been following the thread on observatory cooling?

You might be doing yourself a favor if you put 6 inch raised heels on those trusses. They will allow you to put in a good layer of insulation and a space for ventilation should you find it necessary in the future.

http://www.1750canyondrive.com/Benefits_of_raised_trussing_for_energy_efficiency.html

Lorence

Yes I've been following it. But my OB's roof rolls off to the West and I can open the roof and roll it to block any sun. It rarely gets over 85deg here during the summer...so heating issue are rarely a problem. My roof material will also be shiny galvanized metal.

My roof is very tall as well.

Rob

RobVG
scholastic sledgehammer

#3834762 - 05/29/10 12:22 AM

Hi Rob

Look into renting some scaffolding. You might be surprised at how little it costs. You'll notice a big increase in production as well as huge increase in safety.

Looking good.

Rob

Lorence
scholastic sledgehammer

#3835578 - 05/29/10 03:12 PM

Quote:

Yes I've been following it. But my OB's roof rolls off to the West and I can open the roof and roll it to block any sun. It rarely gets over 85deg here during the summer...so heating issue are rarely a problem. My roof material will also be shiny galvanized metal.

Rob

Rob I don't know where you live but you may be fooling yourself. I'm at over 50 deg north latitude and it gets over 95 deg here in the summer. Maybe your at a higher altitude than I am, that will certainly affect air temp but not solar radiation.

If I'm thinking right one side of your roof will be tilted south down toward the sun getting the max solar radiation. The shinny new roof will dull in a few months. I wouldn't be surprised if you would be able to fry an egg on that roof some days.

I know how much work your putting into the observatory. It would be a shame if you found out you had a problem after the place was finished. Now's the time to do the research. Saving a few hours in time or a few dollars in expenses now could cost you big time down the road. It doesn't take a lot of searching to find storys about solar ovens with telescopes mounted inside them.

Whatever, it's only my $0.02 worth and I won't be sending you a bill.

Good Luck and I hope you get many years of use out the observatory.

Lorence

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3835605 - 05/29/10 03:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Rob

Rob I don't know where you live but you may be fooling yourself. I'm at over 50 deg north latitude and it gets over 95 deg here in the summer. Maybe your at a higher altitude than I am, that will certainly affect air temp but not solar radiation.

If I'm thinking right one side of your roof will be tilted south down toward the sun getting the max solar radiation. The shinny new roof will dull in a few months. I wouldn't be surprised if you would be able to fry an egg on that roof some days.

I know how much work your putting into the observatory. It would be a shame if you found out you had a problem after the place was finished. Now's the time to do the research. Saving a few hours in time or a few dollars in expenses now could cost you big time down the road. It doesn't take a lot of searching to find storys about solar ovens with telescopes mounted inside them.

Whatever, it's only my $0.02 worth and I won't be sending you a bill.

Good Luck and I hope you get many years of use out the observatory.

Lorence

Lorence...I appreciate all your input and I will be addressing heat issues. I'm installing a cross venting fan and heat exchange bafolds between the trusses.

Lots to think about for sure..thanks so much for looking out for me.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3836984 - 05/30/10 12:57 PM Attachment (44 downloads)

Yesterday was a good day...it didn't rain(drizzled a bit)..and I had a goal of putting up 5 trusses.

First I layed the first one out in the drive and measured and cutt all the sections. I then cut 1/4" plywood for the joint bracings for all joints. I wanted to have all the pieces premade before I began.

I cut the 2x4' for only the first five trusses..keeping the *Masters* so I can make the second 5 today.

My scaffolding worked very well...and it put me right up into the job site......

Here are yesterdays pics.

First three trusses in place.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3836987 - 05/30/10 12:58 PM Attachment (39 downloads)

First 3 trusses from inside OB.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3836993 - 05/30/10 01:02 PM Attachment (38 downloads)

Truss contact point with the roller top plate. I will place hurricane straps when finished.

The roof rolles so well I had to nail a piece of plywood to it to keep it secure from rolling while I was building the trusses.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3836999 - 05/30/10 01:06 PM Attachment (49 downloads)

It took me about 7 hours to design, cut, and build the first 5 trusses. I will build supports and braketing and a steel runner for aa lift that I am building into the center 2 trusses to lift the head and scope onto the pier.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3837008 - 05/30/10 01:13 PM Attachment (35 downloads)

I'm half way there...when I'm done I will nail the backer boards on and some internal secure braces.

I had to first finish the roller track before I did any truss building...this I finished off by using galvanized angle flanging that slid under the steel rail and over the wood rail guide. this formed the smooth metal to metal ruid and rail system for the rollers. Smooth and easy. I could roll the whole thing with one simple push.

Today will be quite busy..cutting the remainder truss pieces and building the trusses. I will stop for a bit to *flip* the scaffolding to the other wall.....then finish up.

I'll take more pics when that is all done. It was getting dark so I tool this last pic to cap off a great day working on my OB. I'm amazed how much work I got done working all by myself...cutting...climbing...nailing and lots of it 9ft in the air.....

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3837014 - 05/30/10 01:17 PM Attachment (37 downloads)

One showing the vaulted *C* truss. I need the room for the scope.

Fun fun fun. Man I'm tired.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3837482 - 05/30/10 05:33 PM

And now it's begun to rain like a pig dog......

I ain't getting up on that scaffolding being distracted by rain....it's tough enough as it is. Very slow going..but steady. I have everything cut and I flipped the scaffolding to the East side....I built and put up one truss before the torent.

Hopefully it will pass.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3837512 - 05/30/10 05:47 PM Attachment (41 downloads)

Taking a break from the torents of rain..I'll post a few more pics....

Here is one inside showing all them rafters.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3837516 - 05/30/10 05:50 PM Attachment (33 downloads)

More outside..this is from the south side.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3837520 - 05/30/10 05:52 PM Attachment (37 downloads)

And from the East side...it's begining to look like ship ribs....(Rain please stop)

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3837529 - 05/30/10 05:55 PM Attachment (35 downloads)

And lastly one from my office second froor window.

Once the trusses are done..I'll secure things by running internal bracing across the central span. Then I'll set up to place the 6(per side) backer boards for the roof material.

THAT job is going to be tricky.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3837894 - 05/30/10 10:18 PM Attachment (37 downloads)

Well I finished the trusses....Yippy.

I added some internal bracing but lots more to follow.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3837913 - 05/30/10 10:31 PM Attachment (36 downloads)

And another from the West side.

Some more bracing and some cross bracing. It rolls slick...real smooth......

Well I'm done for the day...it's raining.

Thanks.

Rob

mikey cee
Postmaster

#3837932 - 05/30/10 10:45 PM

So let me get this straight. You're actually a part time denturist...right? A full time ATMer and carpenter? Now I got your number. Pretty slick set up goin' there. Mike

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3837975 - 05/30/10 11:13 PM

Quote:

So let me get this straight. You're actually a part time denturist...right? A full time ATMer and carpenter? Now I got your number. Pretty slick set up goin' there. Mike

Sometimes I wonder.

I'm a do-it-yourselfer. I always have been. It started when My father told me, *If anyone can do it..you can do it*. I have held to this for my whole life. I make my own telescopes..mirrors...and now my own ROR OB.

My body is as sore as it can get...but I don't quite or stop. It has to be done and I'm not paying anyone to do what I can do. I'm sore for it...and my wife is always asking me, *How/when did you learn to do that?*

I keep her on her toes.

Now some down time is in store.

Rob

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

#3838121 - 05/31/10 01:10 AM

Great work Rob!!!!!!!!!!

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3838159 - 05/31/10 01:54 AM

Quote:

Great work Rob!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Kerry. Being up on that scaffolding was real nerve wrecking. I felt like I was falling off many a time.

I think I'll add second plywood backings to all the central joints and then build in the Western wall to hold the siding. It needs a footer bord and some vertical 2x4's to nail the siding to. I'm developing my plan on how to tackle the backing boards for the roofing. I'll use the tall ladder for the first 3 and the scaffolding for the upper most 2. Man..I'm not looking forward to this next step.

Rob

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

#3838365 - 05/31/10 08:40 AM

Good looking truses Rob.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3839537 - 05/31/10 08:13 PM

Quote:

Good looking truses Rob.

Thanks.....

andyschlei
professor emeritus

#3839550 - 05/31/10 08:19 PM

Wonderful progress. I concur with your do-it-yourself approach. It is very satisfying. It just takes time.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3840462 - 06/01/10 09:34 AM

Quote:

Wonderful progress. I concur with your do-it-yourself approach. It is very satisfying. It just takes time.

Andy....thanks It's not only rewarding to build it myself...it's rewarding to know how much money I'm saving.

Apart from some super friends helping to erect the support beams for the ROR.....and RobV helping to build the framing for the West wall.....I'v built this all by my lonesome.

I wasn't sure I could do it...but with pleanty of planning and prep..it is possible.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3844496 - 06/03/10 11:38 AM Attachment (54 downloads)

It doesn't appear much traffic is passing this way lately...so I'll post a pic of what I was doing yesterday...while it cleared a bit. I needed to make the block-n-tackle lift and build it into the trusses. The trusses are just off center from the steel pier(super)..so this means I can use a block arrangement to lift heavy pieces to the pier top...namely the Cave head and the OTA.

The lift is built to roll on bearings so I can lift objects and then roll them into place..without having to roll the roof as a gantry.

The steel bar is a discarded heavy weight chromed pull up bar. If was exactly what I was looking for. I built the rolling mechanizm the block attaches too.

It easily held me and I tested it with 300lbs as well. ample lift. Now on to more scary ladder adventures.

Here is a pic of the system freshly installed. I cut the support 2x4 to slide over the central ridge beam and then nail to the tops of either truss on the sides. It is extremely secure and very rigid.

Now some more internal lateral bracing and then to the roof backer boards(perlins). Once these are all in place..I'll unscrew the roof locking plates and roll the roof open a bit and then finish off the outter guide rails on the 4X6 external roof supports.

Rob

hm insulators
Post Laureate

#3844870 - 06/03/10 02:13 PM

You're a braver man than I am, climbing up and down all those ladders and scaffolding!

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3844953 - 06/03/10 03:09 PM Attachment (39 downloads)

Quote:

You're a braver man than I am, climbing up and down all those ladders and scaffolding!

Yeah..well I'm dripping wet from sweat.. from anxiety. I finished putting the first 4 perlins on the North side....I'll need to use the scaffold to finish off the top 2.
I made spacers from scrap cedar and I place them between each new perlin and then place the new one on them. This makes it easy to place them all by myself without a helper.

Still a lot of ladder climbing.

Rob

djallar
sage

#3844965 - 06/03/10 03:15 PM

Rob...that thing is HUGE Looks like there's enough room to live in there

Looking good!

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3844994 - 06/03/10 03:27 PM

Quote:

Looking good!

Thanks Dave.....

Yeah it is larger then your average OB. It has to house a larger then average refractor too. I was walking round inside yesterday with my father-in-law..and he also commented on how big it is inside. I want pleanty of room behind me when viewing at lower angles. I have plans for a nice built in desk over by the window....red and white lights, electrical plugs on all walls, and eventually an electric roof opening system. I also plan on storing lots of my astro gear in there as well..so I can clean out my mirror making shop. I have a lot of mirrors to get to as well...so this project needs to get finished.

Rob

dymy24
sage

Reged: 07/28/08

Loc: Fayetteville, NC
      #3845010 - 06/03/10 03:31 PM

[quote ... and eventually an electric roof opening system.
Rob

You plan to move that roof by hand?

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: dymy24]
      #3845020 - 06/03/10 03:37 PM

Quote:

[quote ... and eventually an electric roof opening system.
Rob

You plan to move that roof by hand?

Nope..I have a cable system designed for that..even though it does easily roll by hand. My cable pulley system will initially be driven by a ships wheel(cuz I'm knotical) but may possibly be converted to electric..when I get old.....

Maybe I'm a bit more nautical then knotheadical.....
who knows....

Rob

RS67Man
Tinker King

#3845512 - 06/03/10 08:16 PM

Anyone who can conceive a 10" f15 refractor, and then have the desire and knowledge to follow though and complete it is not knotheadical.........

droid
rocketman

#3845654 - 06/03/10 09:51 PM

Room for a cot ...for those nights when your in the dog house?

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3845765 - 06/03/10 11:09 PM

Quote:

Anyone who can conceive a 10" f15 refractor, and then have the desire and knowledge to follow though and complete it is not knotheadical.........

Well that is soley subjective.......

But thanks for the vote of confidence Walt...

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3845781 - 06/03/10 11:18 PM Attachment (39 downloads)

Quote:

Room for a cot ...for those nights when your in the dog house?

My wife walked out there today with her parents and she was commenting on the sheer size......she said, *A romper room*...Oh boy.

Actually she did agree that I needed the room for the big scope....and she would like to see me finish it.

So do I cuz I want to clear the optics shop out of all my scopes..move all that furniture that is stored in there and get back to making mirrors...namely yours.

I Have finished the purlins and here are some pics.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3845784 - 06/03/10 11:19 PM Attachment (35 downloads)

From the south side.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3845792 - 06/03/10 11:22 PM Attachment (33 downloads)

And a bit from the 'West.

I worked hard today and finished up all of them..by myself.

Now some steel roof pannels and some hurricane straps..finish off the gable ends and then move the Cave mount in. I put the door on after the scope is in.

Rob

mikey cee
Postmaster

#3845804 - 06/03/10 11:29 PM

Rob...Looks very well built. By the way just curious about how your mother-in-law is fairing? Mike

dymy24
sage

Reged: 07/28/08

Loc: Fayetteville, NC
      #3846376 - 06/04/10 10:06 AM

Ah...makes sense. It's an impressive build, and I envy the space.

I am curious - your footers appear to be spaced a bit further apart than most. Do you get floor hop when you walk on it?

Avi
professor emeritus

#3846411 - 06/04/10 10:26 AM

Yeah, I thought my 10x20 was a monster, but you've got me beat by a long shot. NICE BUILD!

Quote:

Looking good!

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

#3846555 - 06/04/10 11:53 AM

Quote:

Rob...Looks very well built. By the way just curious about how your mother-in-law is fairing? Mike

Thanks Mikester.....I figure over build is better then under built...

My mother-n-law is doing better..she still has chest discomfort..and is very weak. She did come out yesterday..but didn't stay long. Thanks for asking bro.

Rob

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: dymy24]
      #3846617 - 06/04/10 12:27 PM

Quote:

Ah...makes sense. It's an impressive build, and I envy the space.

I am curious - your footers appear to be spaced a bit further apart than most. Do you get floor hop when you walk on it?

Thanks so much...I wanted the roof opening system to be as fun as the opening itself...so I designed a *Mad* inventor cable system...kinda ship..pirate fealing.

The concrete footers are placed 9ft apart...suppor