Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: POD - A HOLE in the DOME new [Re: carastro]
      #5835727 - 05/02/13 07:29 AM

Hi Carole:

The usual advice is to center the scope mount about 8" towards the south to allow a better view of the zenith. Do you have your scope on a tripod or a permanent pier? If its on a pier, is there any way you could move the whole pod about 8" to the North?

-Dan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #5836000 - 05/02/13 10:48 AM

Carole,

Have you had the opportunity to have a look at and perhaps try out a POD with the PZT? I was also somewhat concerned about "manhandling" the dome on the table, I'm a big guy but have a bad back so I have to be fairly careful about lifting things ... especially when leaning out with my arms outstretched.

In actual use I was pleasantly surprised about how easy the dome moves on the table and how well the small synthetic ramps work in terms of lifting the dome up onto the wall. I find that it's more of a few short pushes and pulls rather than any real lifting to get the dome back onto the wall. Once it's roughly positioned back onto the wall it's another short pull towards you and then a bit of a spin to get it all onto the wheels. I simply reach over and pull on the rounded nuts on ends of the pivot bolts. It takes just a few back and forth movements to get everything lined up and positioned so the brackets can be re attached, but nothing is really tough or heavy.

I think I use more strength to control the closing of the dome than to bring the dome back off of the table. If you are handling the closing part every night then the moving the dome on/off of the PZT should actually be less demanding.

I have side by side scopes on my mount so I really need the table ... even with some pier offset my zenith access was really a problem. The PZT has made a world of difference in my use of my POD.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: POD - A HOLE in the DOME new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5837173 - 05/02/13 08:23 PM

In any case, if you can't get happy with a stock POD kit, I suggest it would be better to not do a one off mod, but replace it with some setup more precisely to your liking.

-Rich

carastro

Reged: 05/01/13

Loc: England
Re: POD - A HOLE in the DOME new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5837616 - 05/03/13 03:16 AM

Thanks for the replies. I do have the pier offset towards the South West, but that just makes stuff on the opposite side less accessible.

No I haven't tried a PZT, they don't even sell them you have to make them yourself, and just supply brackets. I just find the whole idea scarey, and wonder whether I'll tip the whole thing off when trying to move it. Wpuld be great if I could find some-one who has one that I could try out. Might put a post on the UK POD forum.

Thanks

Carole

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #5837817 - 05/03/13 08:42 AM

Hi Carole and welcome to the forum.

I find viewing objects at the Zenith to be very uncomfortable and tend to view them when they are either side of. Is it possible that you can do the same. I know it depends on the amount of sky you can see from your location and being able to view them at a different time of the year.
Althou I do not have a PZT, most report that they are quite easy to use.

Good luck.

Regards. Peter.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5837958 - 05/03/13 10:02 AM

Carole, Welcome to Cloudy Nights! Glad to have you join us. Hopefully, with the thread renewed, you will get some ideas to help you.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2800

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics