Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
tulit

Reged: 07/04/10

Loc: ON
Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: tulit]
      #4722432 - 07/31/11 09:40 AM Attachment (253 downloads)

The upper wood frame is screwed to the same L beams at the top of the shed walls that the roof normally attaches to.

I'm definitely going to need to make ample use of caulking between the top of the wall and the frame. With the warp of the wood and the panels of the shed not being perfect (as expected), there are points where there is a bit of a gap.

One thing I'm still debating is whether I need to reinforce the structure of the shed at all. It feels surprisingly sturdy the way it is already. I may add some 4x4's into all the corners to help support things a bit better, but I'll see how it goes first.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tulit

#4722437 - 07/31/11 09:45 AM Attachment (234 downloads)

And a top view of the shed so far. I've had to stop work for now as there is a storm coming through. I've quickly tried to anchor the shed down as best as I could

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #4722494 - 07/31/11 10:22 AM

I suggest getting the top woodwork painted before continuing construction.

-Rich

sleepy
9/11 Medic

Reged: 07/10/10

Loc: The Columbia Gorge/ OR
Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: Starhawk]
      #4722563 - 07/31/11 10:55 AM

Looking good.!

MikeCMP

Reged: 07/12/11

Loc: Chardon OH
Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: sleepy]
      #4723440 - 07/31/11 07:40 PM

Having just assembled one of the 8X10 versions of this building a few weeks ago, I thought at first there was no way this would work - my building wobbled a bit, up until the roof was screwed down. Seeing your plan with the wood frames for the top changed my mind, what a clever idea.

You will not want to see a sheet metal screw for a while I bet.

I like it - gives me some ideas, definitely a good idea.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: MikeCMP]
      #4724359 - 08/01/11 10:09 AM

This is looking like it could be a major breakthrough in home observatory construction. The price is right, and the big open horizon it affords is ideal.

Steel won't be destroyed by sunlight very quickly- the main issue is installing internal insulation.

-Rich

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: MikeCMP]
      #4724420 - 08/01/11 10:39 AM

Quote:

Having just assembled one of the 8X10 versions of this building a few weeks ago, I thought at first there was no way this would work - my building wobbled a bit, up until the roof was screwed down. Seeing your plan with the wood frames for the top changed my mind, what a clever idea.

My wife and I built a 10x8 Arrow shed a couple of months ago for our lawn tractor etc. To this day if I ever see a sheet metal screw and plastic washer again it will be way too soon!! Mike

Jimmy2K63
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/26/09

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: mikey cee]
      #4724440 - 08/01/11 10:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

My wife and I built a 10x8 Arrow shed a couple of months ago for our lawn tractor etc. To this day if I ever see a sheet metal screw and plastic washer again it will be way too soon!! Mike

Did one once and felt the same way. Even so I am still very intrigued by this idea. The roof design is very simple. Plus it would be very lightweight and would roll quite easy. One could always use a spray insulation and spray it black afterwards, we did that with our club's dome and it worked well. Plus it tightended up the whole structure and sound deadened it at the same time.

James

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: Jimmy2K63]
      #4724931 - 08/01/11 03:09 PM

What brand foam did you use?

-Rich

gapalp
sage

Reged: 02/16/10

Loc: Georgia
      #4724995 - 08/01/11 03:37 PM

Quote:

This is looking like it could be a major breakthrough in home observatory construction. The price is right, and the big open horizon it affords is ideal.

Indeed! I have wondered with all the pre-fab sheds out there why there hasn't been a "standard" ROR made from one of these by the astro community with some detailed howto. With my imaging setup, I have wanted one of these but never could figure out adapting the roof.

tulit

Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: gapalp]
      #4725176 - 08/01/11 05:19 PM

haha. Yes the sheds are definitely more work than the resin/plastic counterparts.

All you need is a good electric driver and you'll be fine

tulit

#4725192 - 08/01/11 05:26 PM Attachment (237 downloads)

Day 3--

Today was a semi-productive day. I was hoping to complete EVERYTHING but when I opened the second skid of 2x4's I received most of them were essentially garbage. Having straight boards is important for building the frame. They are coming tomorrow to replace them. I suppose this is the risk of getting lumber delivery -- you rely on them to pick the best pieces.

Anyways, with the few good pieces in the batch, I finished the roof frame itself. It's the same as the frame that was mounted on-top of the shed, but I made it 1/4" narrower to allow for some clearance as it rolls along the top of the shed and the rails.

I installed eight 1-1/4" castors along each side of the rail. I kept them small to minimize the gap between the roof and the top of the shed (which I'll have to weatherproof somehow still). The whole assembly rolls very nicely/easily.

tulit

#4725195 - 08/01/11 05:28 PM Attachment (183 downloads)

Here you can see the frame as it would be resting along the top of the shed/rails. There will be guilds mounted all the way on the outside perimeter to keep the roof on the rails.

tulit

#4725205 - 08/01/11 05:32 PM Attachment (200 downloads)

Last night under clear skies, I spent some time polar aligning my setup and measuring how high the scope should be. Once I had the position of the tripod figured out, I marked where the feet touched the wooden floor.

This afternoon, I then drilled some 2-1/2" holes in the floor to allow the tripod legs to pass through.

I've elected to use the 8" pier extension for the EQ6 as along with my C6 gets me to a good height to clear the roof and also get reasonably close to the visible horizon from my backyard in all directions. The extension is nice as you need to remember that longer you make the tripod legs, the more floor space they will consume.

Jimmy2K63
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/26/09

Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #4725208 - 08/01/11 05:34 PM

Quote:

What brand foam did you use?

-Rich

I have no idea. That was 25 years ago. But it swelled on impact if that helps you any. We had it commercially sprayed on the walls and the dome.

James

tulit

#4725209 - 08/01/11 05:34 PM Attachment (199 downloads)

The holes could use a bit of cleaning up, but they match pretty close.

I want to get some VSPs on the ends of the tripod legs, but am not sure yet how I will position them properly It's a bit cumbersome getting the legs into the holes as it is.

Shannon s
sage

Reged: 06/21/09

Loc: Bartow FL.
      #4725254 - 08/01/11 05:58 PM

Sweet. I love my little Observatory. Looks a little cramped with the tripod. Ever think about a pier?

tulit

Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: Shannon s]
      #4725367 - 08/01/11 07:07 PM

Quote:

Sweet. I love my little Observatory. Looks a little cramped with the tripod. Ever think about a pier?

Yup. The tripod is temporary until I move the shed back about 8 feet (a hot tub is in the way right now).

vsteblina
sage

Reged: 11/05/07

Loc: Wenatchee, Washington
      #4725401 - 08/01/11 07:36 PM

Great observatory.

I built something similar. I had problems with water seeping between the floor and building. I did not think it was going to be an issue living in a desert. But those 8 inches of precip found their way into the observatory.

ZeroID
sage

Reged: 04/21/10

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
      #4725452 - 08/01/11 08:04 PM

Nice project, I am already following a similar path with a 2.7 meter by 1.8 meter shed. I like your roof rail idea and the need to strengthen the frame to suuport the shed structure. My pier will be an 870mm high 280 mm diameter concrete sewer pipe ( Unused !! ) on end with a 1 meter length of M12 threaded rod secured to a masonry anchor on the concrete base and locked through a top plate. Should stay put.
I just wonder why no one has come up with this idea before either. Must all be traditionalists or something.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Joe C, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14799

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics