Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
MikeCMP

Reged: 07/12/11

Loc: Chardon OH
Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: vsteblina]
      #4725816 - 08/02/11 12:01 AM

Quote:

Great observatory.

I built something similar. I had problems with water seeping between the floor and building. I did not think it was going to be an issue living in a desert. But those 8 inches of precip found their way into the observatory.

I was going to mention this as well, water seeps under my walls on my shed too. I used pressure treated wood, if I had known it would be such a problem I would have put something under the walls to keep the water out.

Definitely going to keep this in mind, I bought my 8X10 for $250 bucks last year, just waited a year to put it up, they are super cheap structures and plenty sturdy.

Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeCatfin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/12/04

Loc: NJ, USA
Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: MikeCMP]
      #4726361 - 08/02/11 10:53 AM

Great project.. this may be the route I go when I'm ready.

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: MikeCMP]
      #4726373 - 08/02/11 11:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Great observatory.

I built something similar. I had problems with water seeping between the floor and building. I did not think it was going to be an issue living in a desert. But those 8 inches of precip found their way into the observatory.

I was going to mention this as well, water seeps under my walls on my shed too. I used pressure treated wood, if I had known it would be such a problem I would have put something under the walls to keep the water out.Mike

Yep - that was something that I was going to mention eg the base [or upstand] should match the size of the building WITHOUT overlap - need only to look at your own house

No amount of sealant will permanently keep rainwater at bay in these circumstances

tulit

Reged: 07/04/10

Loc: ON
Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: nytecam]
      #4726938 - 08/02/11 04:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Great observatory.

I was going to mention this as well, water seeps under my walls on my shed too. I used pressure treated wood, if I had known it would be such a problem I would have put something under the walls to keep the water out.Mike

Yep - that was something that I was going to mention eg the base [or upstand] should match the size of the building WITHOUT overlap - need only to look at your own house

No amount of sealant will permanently keep rainwater at bay in these circumstances

Good point about the drainage. Maybe some angled flashing around the perimeter is in order? I didn't want to cut the base to exactly the size of the base for future expansion...

ZeroID
sage

Reged: 04/21/10

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: tulit]
      #4729099 - 08/03/11 11:14 PM

Over here in NZ there are some roofing sealants based on bitumen that you can paint on, thick and gooey that will do the job. Mine will go with a good thick layer beneath the base frame and then a 'flashing' type application around the bottom edge after. I don't have a choice about my site, it's justa large 4 x 4 meter slab of concrete already down. The stuff is called Bitumastic, you may have something similar in your part of the world.
Alternatively silicon sealer should work in a similar fashion.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: ZeroID]
      #4731326 - 08/05/11 09:25 AM

Here it's called "Roofing tar" or sealer it's kind of a mess in the summers here since it melts down.

Some sort of flashing is probably the best answer in this case. I'm still concerned about the unpainted wood- the last two environments I have lived in (New Orleans and Tucson) just destroy unprotected wood in no time. Of course, this shed is far away.

-Rich

tulit

Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: Starhawk]
      #4731491 - 08/05/11 11:10 AM

Quote:

Here it's called "Roofing tar" or sealer it's kind of a mess in the summers here since it melts down.

Some sort of flashing is probably the best answer in this case. I'm still concerned about the unpainted wood- the last two environments I have lived in (New Orleans and Tucson) just destroy unprotected wood in no time. Of course, this shed is far away.

-Rich

Hi Rich.

Agreed. I'll have to play with flashing a bit to see what works best.

All the wood is pressure treated so it has a bit of protection. The biggest problems here is usually boards splitting as they freeze/thaw. Something different I'm sure than what you would have had to deal with in your environments

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#4731937 - 08/05/11 03:18 PM

I expect if you get it right, this could last indefinitely.

Here there are radical swings in humidity from 4% and hot to soaking in water to split wood, and we actually do get freezes.

I'm thinking I'd probably want a metal version of the frame just because of the environment, here.

-Rich

Shannon s
sage

Reged: 06/21/09

Loc: Bartow FL.
      #4732296 - 08/05/11 07:02 PM

MASTIC........fibrous mastic. It is sold at HVAC supply houses. I don't know if it is sold at hardware stores. It is white- I mixed in a little house paint to change the color to green but my observatory is all plywood. One thick coat of this stuff waterproofed the outside.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: Shannon s]
      #4737479 - 08/08/11 07:05 PM

I want to know what happened next!

-Rich

tulit

#4737713 - 08/08/11 09:01 PM

haha. sorry. It's been a busy week so haven't had much time to work on it the last few days. All the major components have been made now, so it will just be a matter of putting the frame portion onto the side of the shed plus putting the roof on.

I did pick up some adjustable deck supports that I will be using to support the frame portion of the structure and allow me to easily level it. They are similar to these:
http://www.rona.ca/shop/~adjustable-deck-support-spytek-226822_building-materials-accessories_shop

I really like the SkyShed versions, but can't justify the $200 price tag.

I also got lots of red rope light that I plan run around the perimeter on the interior of the shed.

Edited by tulit (08/08/11 09:03 PM)

tulit

#4739420 - 08/09/11 08:13 PM Attachment (199 downloads)

I had a few hours tonight to get things together.

Most is done now except

a) Attaching the roof and assembling it on top of its frame
b) Weather proofing the gap between the rails and the roof. I'm not quite sure what I'll use here yet. Garage door weather stripping might be appropriate.

tulit

#4739424 - 08/09/11 08:16 PM Attachment (161 downloads)

The adjustable supports are a definite plus. It would have been a pain to measure accurately especially with the grading of the ground. I've temporarily anchored them down with some interlock. I'm thinking of building a sandbox under here.

Total cost of these were only $20 for the pair. I think I'll come in at my $500 total project budget pretty closely.

tulit

#4739428 - 08/09/11 08:17 PM Attachment (156 downloads)

The support column. Still need some leveling/adjusting.

Edited by tulit (08/09/11 08:18 PM)

tulit

#4739433 - 08/09/11 08:20 PM Attachment (155 downloads)

The whole roof rolls pretty smoothly (easy with just a single hand). I was a little worried about clearance/being straight enough but it turned out pretty good.

I still need to add a few of the guides to the other half.

tulit

#4739435 - 08/09/11 08:21 PM Attachment (182 downloads)

Closed

tjay
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/03/07

Loc: just outside of Toronto
      #4739496 - 08/09/11 08:53 PM

Quote:

haha. sorry. It's been a busy week so haven't had much time to work on it the last few days. All the major components have been made now, so it will just be a matter of putting the frame portion onto the side of the shed plus putting the roof on.

I did pick up some adjustable deck supports that I will be using to support the frame portion of the structure and allow me to easily level it. They are similar to these:
http://www.rona.ca/shop/~adjustable-deck-support-spytek-226822_building-materials-accessories_shop

I really like the SkyShed versions, but can't justify the $200 price tag.

I also got lots of red rope light that I plan run around the perimeter on the interior of the shed.

I just noticed your location! You are just the other side of the big TO from me.

I definitely would have went with those Rona deck levelers if I decided to build my own... Now I'm just waiting to get a more firm date than "Mid August" for my build.

I love your ingenious approach to building a ROR.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #4739765 - 08/09/11 11:38 PM

It's coming along very nicely! Great job!

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: csa/montana]
      #4740367 - 08/10/11 12:19 PM

I was wondering, do the RORs need to be anchored in the case of high winds or storms? Carabiners and eye hooks are cheap anyways.

BTW, great job so far with the build.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #4740704 - 08/10/11 03:58 PM

One thing- your boards on the extension track are going to bow and droop with time in that orientation. You need to reinforce them with vertically oriented boards to keep them straight, also with the extension to the vertical braces.

-Rich

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13900

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics