Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Aethyr

Reged: 06/17/08

Loc: Northern Indiana
Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: tulit]
      #4834213 - 09/29/11 01:18 PM

This is great! I have a metal shed very similar in my backyard, and have stared at it for uite a while trying to figure out how to modify it into a ROR. This gives me hope.

Now if i could just get rid of the trees in my yard so i could have more than 20% of the sky available...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Chris Boar
sage

Reged: 02/23/09

Loc: Vancouver Island, Canada
Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: Aethyr]
      #4834243 - 09/29/11 01:31 PM

Silly question....I presume you can lock the door?

tulit

Reged: 07/04/10

Loc: ON
Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: Chris Boar]
      #4837669 - 10/01/11 02:00 PM

Quote:

Silly question....I presume you can lock the door?

Yup, there are provisions on the stock door handles for a padlock.
I significantly beefed this up though.

Taylor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/10/05

Loc: Owasso, OK
      #4842040 - 10/03/11 06:45 PM

Thanks for sharing this.
I think I'm going to base my obs design off something like this when I graduate in Dec 2012 and buy a house.
Probably gonna build from scratch though, I love tinkering, got that trait from my dad.
This is a perfect low budget, well executed design.

DanB
No Capos Allowed

Reged: 12/05/07

Loc: Central Oregon High Desert
      #4843884 - 10/04/11 05:01 PM

One last, somewhat experienced note. Be careful constructing these light sheds in windy areas. All sides must be anchored as you go and its almost impossible to handle these panels alone on a windy day.
I built a 500.00 version of one just like this (I believe it was also an Arrow) about 10 years ago, slightly larger and had it just about entirely constructed (3 days into it)when it lifted off the ground and was destroyed in a freak gust of wind. My daughter and ex were just pulling into the driveway and saw the whole thing unfold. The whole shed lifted off the ground 15 to 20 feet, twisted into a ball and slammed back to the ground in a heaping pile of scrap metal as if a small tornado picked it up (we dont have tornados). This 'freak wind' was only about 15 or 20 mph as far as we could tell, not exactly a tornado heheh... But it sure messed up my week pretty good.
Be warned:-) Be careful! And by the way, great job on this obs project, I may construct something similar.
Regards, Dan

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: GraySkies]
      #4844661 - 10/05/11 05:52 AM

Quote:

Your observatory has turned out really nice! This should encourage others to build their observatory based on yours. Many feel because of the pricing of observatories, that they are out of their reach; you just proved them wrong! I would also guess that now, most places will discount their sheds, so as not to have to hold them over till next year; so even better pricing.

Valid points Carol - obs don't need to *cost-the-earth* [unless you're 'bostin'] and buy that shed at autumn discount if you can

tulit

Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: DanB]
      #4844996 - 10/05/11 11:09 AM

Quote:

One last, somewhat experienced note. Be careful constructing these light sheds in windy areas. All sides must be anchored as you go and its almost impossible to handle these panels alone on a windy day.
I built a 500.00 version of one just like this (I believe it was also an Arrow) about 10 years ago, slightly larger and had it just about entirely constructed (3 days into it)when it lifted off the ground and was destroyed in a freak gust of wind. My daughter and ex were just pulling into the driveway and saw the whole thing unfold. The whole shed lifted off the ground 15 to 20 feet, twisted into a ball and slammed back to the ground in a heaping pile of scrap metal as if a small tornado picked it up (we dont have tornados). This 'freak wind' was only about 15 or 20 mph as far as we could tell, not exactly a tornado heheh... But it sure messed up my week pretty good.
Be warned:-) Be careful! And by the way, great job on this obs project, I may construct something similar.
Regards, Dan

Yes building it in the wind is a very bad idea. The structure is pretty flimsy/unstable until all the panels are in place. The manual even states that you should really finish building it in a single session and check the weather before hand

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/05/11

Loc: East Bernard, TX
      #4848911 - 10/07/11 12:35 PM

This thread is AWESOME!!! Congrats on the OBS!!

groz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/14/07

Loc: Campbell River, BC
      #4860149 - 10/14/11 12:26 AM

Quote:

An excellent option for a low cost observatory. After showing the 'CFO' this thead, I've now got business case sign off to build my own (shamelessly copying yours)

Where are you on the island ? I'd love to head over and take a peek if/when you get that built. Showing this thread to my CFO will get the response 'oh goodie, lets build two', cuz there is no way I'll be allowed to build one for my scope, and not build one for hers.

Chris Boar
sage

Reged: 02/23/09

Loc: Vancouver Island, Canada
Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: groz]
      #4861532 - 10/14/11 09:31 PM

I'm in Nanaimo, not too far from you! Took delivery of my 6x8 shed from Sears today actually. I'll start a separate thread on it's build, but you are welcome to come visit when it goes 'live'!

dandabson

Reged: 10/15/08

Loc: Dover, DE
      #5081750 - 02/20/12 10:37 AM

Just wondering how your observatory is holding up. I am thinking of something similar this summer.

tulit

Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: Aethyr]
      #5082547 - 02/20/12 06:56 PM

Holding up pretty good.
Only maint this winter so far has been to sweep the snow off the roof and rails once and a while.

We've had some decent winds as well and things stood strong.

Stargaz18
sage

Reged: 01/04/11

Loc: Wichita Falls, TX
      #5086492 - 02/22/12 10:42 PM

Just checked the Home Depot website and found the Arrow 10x14 is only $499! That would allow for a 4' wide warm room and a 10x10 observatory. Your design and photos have inspired me and alot of others!! Thank you for being so creative! And for sharing it with us.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: DanB]
      #5088135 - 02/23/12 10:31 PM

Re:wind.

One fall day many years ago a sudden gust of wind from a clear blue sky unfolded the small pole framed and metal roofing sided calf shed on my father's farm,laying it out flat upon the ground. The posts were a foot or more into the earth BEFORE the wind gust.

I have one of those Arrow metal sheds still stored because it is just too much for one person to safely assemble. Wood frame and T-11 panels are easier to work with in my opinion(and sturdier).

tulit

Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: BigC]
      #5137751 - 03/23/12 07:53 PM

I think if a wind gust is strong enough to pull any post burried a foot down, no shed is going to survive... The steel building are lighter than wood and so need to be anchored/weighed down appropriately.

I think the 8x6' version of the shed is most definitely manageable with a single person building. Obviously its helpful to have a good helper

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: Stargaz18]
      #5137918 - 03/23/12 09:58 PM

Quote:

Just checked the Home Depot website and found the Arrow 10x14 is only $499!

Careful there! You probably do not want the plain metal one. It leaks like a sieve and corrodes just as quickly. Get the premium vinyl coated metal one.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: frolinmod]
      #5138752 - 03/24/12 11:42 AM

You know, we need a permanent resource area where an excerpt from a thread like this one can be placed. The metal shed observatory is clearly going to be one of the classic designs.

-Rich

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5139724 - 03/24/12 11:14 PM

Congrats!!!....awesome job!!! I gotta get me one now!!!!

dynamo15

Reged: 02/14/12

Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: RobertED]
      #5151224 - 04/01/12 07:01 AM

Excellent, nothing like "home-made" to really appreciate the starry night skies!
Thanks for sharing, tulit!

AB9MS

Reged: 10/19/12

Re: My $500 Roll off Roof Observatory Build new [Re: dynamo15]
      #5564025 - 12/10/12 11:52 AM

After looking at hundreds of designs I am going to build this one. The 10'x8' Arrow. This is the first one I've seen that meets all three requirements. Fits in budget. Fits in size (has to also store a garden tractor) and (according to my wife) doesn't look like something odd from the road. Its just a run of the mill garden shed....
By the fall of 2013 I WILL have this. Due to property line setbacks etc my roof will have to roll of the front of it instead. Other than that everything is good.
THANKS for posting all this info.
Lewis
AB9MS

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13897

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics