Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)
Tom and Beth
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: johne]
      #5588603 - 12/25/12 03:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I came across one of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110748400290?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p39...

Granted this one is color, but I'm wondering if one of these units with the B&W sensor could be put to work. Mount this facing up, already in a weather enclosure...just hook up power and a BNC connection?

I have a TV-tuner in my HTPC that has the proper connector.
This tuner would facilitate images being available for a server.

A quick glance at the product description doesn't indicate whether it's heated to prevent dew or frost formation. That may be an issue (it would be in my neck of the woods.)

Yep, you get a bit colder than we do in Tucson, where dew and ice are rare events. I believe the only heat would be from the camera itself.

I did confirm that the camera is water resistant in any mounting orientation, but have had no luck in confirming remote on screen display. There's a connector for it though.

EDIT: I was just digging around on the manufacturer's website. Apparently heating and cooling are options that can be procured.

Edited by Tom and Beth (12/26/12 12:16 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
johne
sage

Reged: 11/10/06

Loc: Prescott, AZ.
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: Tom and Beth]
      #5589243 - 12/26/12 06:24 AM

With the vendor-offered heat options, it sounds like you have your bases covered. 😊

James_826

Reged: 02/09/12

Loc: Beggs, Ok
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: johne]
      #5592405 - 12/28/12 10:28 AM

I have noticed there has been talk about Windows apps, but what about linux? I have a Raspberry Pi sitting on my desk and thought it would be a great tool to use for a All Sky Webcam. I almost have everything for Radio Jove running on it for remote listening. Anyone else trying to use linux? If so is motion the only app out there people are using? Anything else?

Tom and Beth
Post Laureate

Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: James_826]
      #5605959 - 01/05/13 02:40 AM

Quote:

I have noticed there has been talk about Windows apps, but what about linux? I have a Raspberry Pi sitting on my desk and thought it would be a great tool to use for a All Sky Webcam. I almost have everything for Radio Jove running on it for remote listening. Anyone else trying to use linux? If so is motion the only app out there people are using? Anything else?

I'm not a Linux user, but the possibilities of using that remotely with a USB web cam seems interesting.

Tom and Beth
Post Laureate

#5605965 - 01/05/13 02:46 AM Attachment (29 downloads)

First light, if you will, with a lower cost Dome Camera.
At a cost point of $135 delivered, it seems to have the sensitivity...It's too bad I can't acess the camera controls remotely, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

I'm porting the signal to a TV Tuner in the Observatory Computer, which then acts as a video server.

Edited by Tom and Beth (01/06/13 09:25 PM)

Tom and Beth
Post Laureate

#5609263 - 01/06/13 09:26 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

While I can get a better picture I'm not getting the FoV I wanted.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24991

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics