Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Distant Skies Observatory at Granite Gap, NM new [Re: helmswatch]
      #5618983 - 01/12/13 12:29 PM

Ted,

Is your observatory finished yet?

I just spent an hour on the phone with Gene, the developer. After our discussion, my wife and I signed on for two 6-month RV leases, giving us a year round RV site and two 1/4 acre observatory sites.

Since there are a couple of us that bought year-round access, Gene is thinking of eventually moving all the year-rounders to separate area and opening up the possibility of allowing permanent living structures. That would be nice, but our decision wasn't based on that.

The educational emphasis of this development is one of the reasons we signed on. They have programs in development with several universities across the country to take advantage of the local riches in astronomy, geology and archeology.

We're pretty excited about this. We may not get out there until we return to Flagstaff in mid-2014, but we know it's waiting for us. It's a nice 7 hour drive from Flagstaff, so until retirement, it will be great for 1-2 week get-a ways.

Edited by rockethead26 (01/12/13 02:35 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jmasin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Murphy, TX (DFW)
Re: Distant Skies Observatory at Granite Gap, NM new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5629958 - 01/18/13 01:35 PM

Awesome and congrats. Jim, welcome!

I bought in early last year, and like you probably won't build anything for a while... like dark skies in my pocket for when I'm ready!

My sand is in G8...

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Distant Skies Observatory at Granite Gap, NM new [Re: jmasin]
      #5630018 - 01/18/13 02:15 PM

Hi Jon! We shouldn't de-rail Ted's thread, but our observatories will be neighbors. I'm on H8 and H9.

Back to Ted's observatory...

helmswatch

Reged: 10/09/11

Loc: Granite Gap, New Mexico
Re: Distant Skies Observatory at Granite Gap, NM new [Re: helmswatch]
      #6370717 - 02/11/14 04:06 PM

I am Duke and I and my wife, Kim are the caretakers of Granite Gap. We live on site in the farmhouse/clubhouse. We are working hard to make anyone's visit a pleasant one and look forward to meeting everyone. Feel free to call us anytime at 321-987-4001 or email us at helmswatch@gmail.com. Our two RVs are parked next to the farmhouse and anyone is welcome to use them. Activity at RH is picking up and will pick up here very soon. Gene is preparing crews at RH and once they he is satisfied with their skills, he will be sending them up here where Kim and I will monitor progress.

This is a huge project and has had it's ups and downs, but I have never met harder working people nor more dedicated people than Gene and Loy.

Come on out and visit.

Sincerely,
Duke & Kim

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Joe C, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5623

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics