Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
Re: Materials for ROR design new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5362244 - 08/10/12 07:07 PM

picture updates. footings are poured. six footings for a 12x20 shed. we carved out a piece of the hill.

the concrete pier is 12 inches in diameter. i'm using a backyard observatory Omega II pier.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HunterofPhotons
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

Loc: Rhode Island, USA
      #5363401 - 08/11/12 02:08 PM

Why did you pour the footings level with the ground rather than having them stand proud of the ground?

dan k.

roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: Materials for ROR design new [Re: HunterofPhotons]
      #5363439 - 08/11/12 02:40 PM

Mine are also at ground level (actually, about an inch below), with long threaded rods sticking up, and 6x6 PT blocks on them to get up to deck height, so if the obs ever goes away, I will only have to jackhammer one lump of concrete, not 5...... also, it looks a bit nicer with wood posts than with concrete.
Russ
R

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Materials for ROR design new [Re: roscoe]
      #5364121 - 08/12/12 12:04 AM

A matter of taste I guess, Dan. My thinking is along Russ's. The overall building would be too imposing if I hoisted it on tall footings. The shed will sit on a gravel covered plastic sheet. The cut in to the slope will be faced with those retaining wall bricks. Had a lot of progress this week, the picture is a bit dated. I'll post more ASAP.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

#5372979 - 08/17/12 11:16 AM

Next, gravel bed and retaining wall; the cement Pier base will extend up into the shed now. I'll redetermine the length of the Omega II Pier once all the walls are up. Not going to try to estimate this one again!

I've re-scoped the size of the roll off; out of the total 20 ft length, 15 ft will roll off over the top of the 5x12 ft warm/cold room. This allows me have a complete weather proof roof, and seal up the warm/cold room as much as possible.

I'm still debating where to stow the Dob. I considered building out the base of the shed to accommodate a deck level with the floor of the shed to place the dob outside the shed, but there isn't enough room to swing it about to make it worth it. Using it inside the shed also has it's share of complications.

This weeks picture.

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #5374697 - 08/18/12 01:17 PM

Looks awesome John

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
Re: Materials for ROR design new [Re: Raginar]
      #5375957 - 08/19/12 01:26 PM

Nice work Picture gives good impression of the size of the project.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Materials for ROR design new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5392730 - 08/29/12 07:13 AM

Thanks for the encouragement folks! :-)

The BYO roof rollers came this week. What is a good source for the angle stock? I have homedepot, and a lot of plumbing and HVAC supply houses around, but no experience with this material.

Framing should start next week I hope. I'll post a rough picture of my design ASAP.

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
      #5392748 - 08/29/12 07:35 AM

The local metals supply house in my city is where I purchase stuff like that at the best price. They have mostly steel, but also other metals.

HunterofPhotons
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

Loc: Rhode Island, USA
      #5393195 - 08/29/12 01:12 PM

Quote:

..... What is a good source for the angle stock?.....

Yes, go to a metalworking shop. If they don't have it in stock, they can order it.
Get something suitable for exterior conditions like galvanized.
When I got mine I had them weld two sections together to make it a one piece track. They also welded cross pieces to make fastening easier.
They didn't even charge for delivery.

dan k.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Materials for ROR design new [Re: HunterofPhotons]
      #5424170 - 09/16/12 06:06 PM

two more photos from last weeks progress. decking one; start the framing the walls. hopefully the Angle Iron will keep the walls from sagging.

Here's from the four season porch vantage point. You can start to see that I will be using the existing shed as the support for the roof off :-)

decking detail.

BTW, I was on Cape Cod last night at, the Seeing was awesome! I was up until 4am; half my time was split between Orion Nebula with the wide angle XW's, and Jupiter with my latest Siebert Mono's + Barlows; Beautiful sights and instruments *sigh*

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

#5425748 - 09/17/12 04:02 PM

more progress below. I called and got a quote on Angle Iron today. 31 ft x 2 sides of 2x2 inch angle Iron @ 1/4 inch think $170.00 plus $30 delivery.

Edited by MRNUTTY (09/17/12 04:54 PM)

roscoe
curmudgeon

#5426093 - 09/17/12 07:43 PM

John,

Looking real nice, there! a question: I believe I saw that you are planning to use your existing shed as support for your roof......is it on footings, or just blocks on the ground? my concern is that if it's just on blocks, if the ground freezes very deep, the shed will move up and down an inch or more each winter/spring, which will somewhat affect your roof travel. If you're using a power winch,. probably you'll be OK, but something to consider.......
Russ

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Materials for ROR design new [Re: roscoe]
      #5426252 - 09/17/12 09:04 PM

Russ, that's exactly what my contractor and I were talking about today :-) The shed is indeed on blocks. It was built there ten years ago, so its settled as much as it's going to. But, we know that's not the same thing! We figured if it does become a problem we can always wait until spring and put footings in. I'm plannig to put I the winch motor that Byo sells. I'll give them a call and see if it can handle the extra load if the shed moves.

Thanks for the brain cycles!

It looks a little weird withou any windows... Does anyone out them in or at least fake ones for the neighbors? :-)

Edited by MRNUTTY (09/17/12 09:06 PM)

roscoe
curmudgeon

#5426395 - 09/17/12 10:27 PM

You might consider a window or two - particularly one in the warm room - because you will likely be in there sometimes during the day, and it'll be really dark in there with no window..... If security is an issue, you could make plywood inner panels that are held in with turn-buttons or slide bolts, but easily removable when you want the light or fresh air.
If you're not too choosy about size, lumber yards and the big-boxes usually have a bargain bin, where you often find windows returned for some reason, at bargain prices.
R

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5426551 - 09/18/12 12:20 AM Attachment (20 downloads)

John, your observatory is really coming along nicely! Yes, I would recommend a window(s). I love mine; as sometimes I do go in during the day, & it's nice to be able to have light, without opening the roof, or turning the lights on. I put a self-cling sheet on my window; it allows the light to come thru, but one cannot see in. The window film goes on the wet glass & adheres, but can be removed easily.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Materials for ROR design new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5426814 - 09/18/12 07:16 AM

You two convinced me! Russ with unassailable logic, and Carol with an excellent aesthetic. I was planning on horizontal casement window between the warm room and the 'hanger deck'; that only suffices when the roof is open. I could put one in both rooms on the south side. Hmm, more thinking to do!

Thanks folks!

wormstar
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/09

Loc: Central Ct
      #5426990 - 09/18/12 09:46 AM

Is it possible to move the shed? I have moved small sheds on 4" PVC rollers, works pretty easy.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Materials for ROR design new [Re: wormstar]
      #5427497 - 09/18/12 01:58 PM

Now, that is an interesting piece of info! I would love to push it back four feet. I just mace been whacked when I planned it out; I woke up at 3:30 this morning and came to the realization I had made a mistake; Instead of 15 ft. roll off, I've only got 11 ft.

Tell me more about how you did it! Did you jack the shed up? What was the process?

roscoe
curmudgeon

#5427540 - 09/18/12 02:27 PM

John,
Your shed's on a hill, which will complicate things a bit, but..... if you can jack it up a little in place, and temporarily block it up a little in from the corners, you can get some 2x12's under the ends, and use some foot-long sections of plastic sewer pipe (the thick-wall stuff) - 3 on each side, with another one to stick under as it moves forward, (and it'll squirt one out the back in a minute), between the planks and the frame of the shed, and use a come-along to pull it forward. Because of your slant situation, you'll probably want another sturdy come-along or chain-fall aimed up at your obs, to keep it from rolling down the hill......
Then, when it's in place, jack it up level, and put new foundation blocks under it - or dig some small footings with a posthole digger if you're feeling ambitious. Ask your contractor, he has likely moved stuff before, and would likely think the project an enjoyable one....

I've moved/helped to move several sheds and buildings this way, it's pretty easy. We once moved an entire house 40 feet back from the road, onto a new foundation, using two sets of I-beams, one under the rollers, one over, (holding the house up), and steel pipe rollers, and we didn't even crack the drywall! It took three or four days to set it up, and 15 minutes to tow it with a small bulldozer.....The I-beams ended up in cleverly placed basement window openings, we only had to lower the house about an inch to set it in place.
Good luck!
Russ

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Joe C, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7764

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics