Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
avarakin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/09

Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA
Sandy
      #5491104 - 10/27/12 12:48 AM Attachment (85 downloads)

Everyone on Eastern seaboard, stay safe the following few days. Hopefully this storm will not be as bad as Irene.
Too many storms are hitting NJ recently, I guess because I built an observatory last year. As soon as I did, we had Irene. Now Sandy. They say we have so many storms because of global warming, I have another theory
Here is picture of my Observatory. Guess what is the name of it? Irene. Last time it stood test of storm.
After storm was gone, I was imaging North America and Pelican. The skies were darker than usual because of power loss in nearby areas. While imaging I was hearing sirens and voices around but did not pay much attention. Next morning I came to know that my neighbors just few hundred feet were flooded and had to evacuate.

Alex

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FrankenCub

Reged: 08/26/11

Loc: Whitney Point, NY
Re: Sandy new [Re: avarakin]
      #5491163 - 10/27/12 02:05 AM

SO what are ya sayin, when you open the roof you also open the clouds ??? lol
I can subscribe to that. Recently bought a sexy C8, two weeks ago bought an iPad 2 so I could use Sky Safari. Two days ago I bought Sky Safari Pro, today my 7 day forecast shows 7 days of rain !! Global warming my butt ....

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: Sandy new [Re: FrankenCub]
      #5491323 - 10/27/12 08:32 AM

I'm looking at next weekend as possibly having some light-pollution free viewing. Moonrise on Sunday night is around 10:00 EST.

JimC

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5492019 - 10/27/12 06:04 PM

Be safe everyone. This could be a nightmare situation.

Glen A W
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/04/08

Loc: USA
Re: Sandy new [Re: GeneT]
      #5492031 - 10/27/12 06:13 PM

My observatory got blown down last year in a tornado. I though about putting it back up, but I did not. This year, we had the direcho! I am fairly certain I'd have been damaged again. Until I move into a more sheltered area - right now I am in a big clear valley - I have to do without a permanent installation!

Good luck everyone! If you are in a target area, I'd at least think about bringing the OTAs inside. GW

Edited by Glen A W (10/27/12 06:14 PM)

bluestar
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/05

Loc: Maryland Eastern Shore
Re: Sandy new [Re: Glen A W]
      #5492097 - 10/27/12 07:01 PM Attachment (46 downloads)

I've been having some problems with rainwater seeping behind the vinyl siding and today was a good prompter to get that problem solved toot sweet with some garage door flashing installed before Sandy comes through. I'm here on Delmarva, supposedly right in the hurricane/storms path. Roof hurricane hooks are engaged...it's gonna be an interesting couple days.

BTW...in the pic...at the very point of the arrow might as well be a sign saying "BlueStar Observatory...You are HERE".

Bob Moore
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/07/06

Loc: New York
Re: Sandy new [Re: bluestar]
      #5494788 - 10/29/12 02:56 PM

I am sitting here in our new observatory, temp in the done 53.2 humidity 89% in the warm room 71.4 & 49.7%. the wind outside is steady at 32 mph with gusts up to 63 mph. and we have NO water getting into the domwe at all not even wind driven mist as far as I can tell. Here is a link to the project " http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0... "

Starman27
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/29/06

Loc: Illinois, Iowa
Re: Sandy new [Re: Bob Moore]
      #5495008 - 10/29/12 05:16 PM

Take care all who are in the path of Sandy.

Bob Moore
Pooh-Bah

Re: Sandy new [Re: Starman27]
      #5495077 - 10/29/12 05:56 PM

Barometer down in the last hour from 28.23 to 28.10 winds are steady at 41 gusting to 70.4 and we are high and dry

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #5495095 - 10/29/12 06:12 PM

Glad everyone seems to be doing OK!

FrankenCub

Reged: 08/26/11

Loc: Whitney Point, NY
      #5495345 - 10/29/12 09:32 PM

Good idea to take advantage of the weather Bob, make something good from this hurricane. That is one Outstanding observatory by the way !!
Getting pretty good wind and gusts with driving rain here, even being as far away from the coast as I am.

Glen A W
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/04/08

Loc: USA
Re: Sandy new [Re: FrankenCub]
      #5495365 - 10/29/12 09:41 PM

Blizzard with wet snow here in WVa. GW

avarakin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/09

Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA
Re: Sandy new [Re: Glen A W]
      #5495425 - 10/29/12 10:18 PM

Not so good here.
Just received email from the town:

State of Emergency within the Township of Parsippany-Troy Hills. Effective immediately no vehicles are permitted to drive on any roadway throughout the Township of Parsippany until further notice as a result of the devastating effects of Hurricane Sandy. A major portion of the township has no power. Traffic signals throughout the township have ceased to function. Street lights along roadways are no longer operational. We have live power lines across streets, utility poles and trees across roads as well as some that have fallen into homes and businesses.

My losses so far are minor: one ridge cap out of two on observatory roof was blown away. Not a big deal - it needed some work anyways. Also a fir went down. Thankfully it just fallen onto the middle of lawn without making any damage.
According to forecast wind speeds should start reducing soon.

Alex

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #5495439 - 10/29/12 10:32 PM

Good luck everyone! My obs has survived three hurricanes so far and it's just a home made 8X8 rolloff.

David

David81
sage

Reged: 05/17/10

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Sandy new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5495909 - 10/30/12 09:18 AM

As of this morning, my nearly finished ROR obs still has a roof on it . I just finished the metal roofing on Thursday and finished the 300' trench for electric just before the rain started on Friday.

Thankfully, the only water infiltration seems to be the main door which is on the north side of the building with little to no shelter. I see a storm door in my future. Normally nothing would be coming in, but with the powerful wind and driving rain, it just can't keep it all out.

hm insulators
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/07

Re: Sandy new [Re: David81]
      #5496179 - 10/30/12 01:21 PM

Hope everybody is safe!

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
Re: Sandy new [Re: hm insulators]
      #5497385 - 10/31/12 07:45 AM

Power came back on during the night.... (34 hours after it went out...
Have my internet back BUT the land line telephones are still non functional..
Neighbors tree is laying on the roof of one of my garages ..but not a lot of damage..(at least that I can see ..
Observatory held up like a champ..not a drop of water got inside..
Still have some water in the basement.but now that the sump pump is back in operation we should have that problem taken care of this morning...

Bob G.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Sandy new [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #5497573 - 10/31/12 10:51 AM

Glad everyone here suffered little or no damage! Something of this calibur certainly makes us stop & be appreciative of what we have.

Lenbo

Reged: 04/08/09

Loc: Cochranville, Pa.
Re: Sandy new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5498269 - 10/31/12 06:59 PM

The eye of the storm passed a little south of us here in SE Pa. Lots of rain (8 inches)and some pretty intense wind. A few trees down around us but ours were OK. Lost a couple last year in a storm. I have some precut strips of plywood and I screw them to the roof and top plateboards to reinforce the normal tie downs. Covered up the computer, monitor, mount and scopes with plastic just in case. Brought the cameras inside. I screwed a strip of plywood across the top of the double doors to keep blowing rain out. Worked pretty good. The pad was wet just inside the door but that was it. Really weird thing is we never lost power. Couldn't believe it but I'm not complaining. We often lose power during thunderstorms. Hope everyone got though safely. Len

Bob Moore
Pooh-Bah

Re: Sandy new [Re: Lenbo]
      #5498350 - 10/31/12 07:49 PM

all fine here. we just got power back. The new observatory is 100% fine

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
      #5498526 - 10/31/12 09:51 PM

Had a fair amount of snow blow in under the ROR--I have to work on a fix for that_but everything had covers on so no problems. We have 12" of snow so I cleared the roof off so I can open it next clear night. Power never went off (major miracle) but many others not so lucky. Things are still bad in many parts of WV.

Mr_T
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/06/08

Loc: NJ
Re: Sandy new [Re: Special Ed]
      #5519097 - 11/14/12 06:09 AM

Well My Obs survived actually 2 of them That I built using the the Backyard Obs plans my own and the clubs that we just built. The Winds reached to 80miles and blew the roof of one of the local buildings and hundreds of trees fell after a week we got our power back thanks to the many hundreds of power Guys working there Butts off. Scary how much we depend on Power and Gasoline

Les

Gargoyle
sage

Reged: 03/13/08

Loc: Long Island, New York
      #5529856 - 11/20/12 11:14 AM

Just want to say that my BYO built ROR came through Sandy without a scratch or a leak. I just got off of National Guard Duty here and had my first opportunity to check for damage. We had substantial tree damage all around our area which would be indicative of the wind force. That observatory is built like a tank.

Jerry

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2299

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics