Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Two telescopes. One observatory new [Re: kenrenard]
      #5641781 - 01/25/13 12:15 AM

Quote:

Carol,
Your Observatory is pretty neat. Do you have any more pictures of it? I like the hinged wall. Just curious how it all is put together. Thanks

Ken

Yes I do; however, I'll post some soon.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Two telescopes. One observatory new [Re: Madratter]
      #5641784 - 01/25/13 12:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You know, it seems to me that with a big dob, you don't want an observatory. By the very essential needs of a Dob, you will want walls so low that they aren't much of walls any more when the observatory is "Open." And you won't want a "dome" over it. With a big dob, you want free, unobstructed space to crank that sucker around anytime and anyplace you want.

Sorry, I disagree. My dobservatory has 3' high walls, with one fold-down wall, and gives me excellent views; not to mention a clean, dry place in which to observe. No setting up time required, except hitting the button to open the roof. I would never have been able to have a 16" dob, without an observatory.

Hmm. Your fold down wall folds in rather than out. I need to think about that! The people who built your observatory are Pros and I can already think of a few good reasons to do it that way. I have to admit I was thinking about folding out.

Folding in, is much easier for me to lower/raise it. It takes up very little room when folded down. Folding out, I would think you'd need a pully, chains attached, etc., in order to lower & raise it.

Starman27
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/29/06

Loc: Illinois, Iowa
Re: Two telescopes. One observatory new [Re: StarWrangler]
      #5642225 - 01/25/13 09:53 AM Attachment (23 downloads)

My observatory is a 10X15 foot split roof ROR with two piers. One holding a Meade 14inch LX200GPS and the second holding a Tax 128FS NSV. The split roof design allows me to use each side alone or open the roof as much as I need to manage wind conditions.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Two telescopes. One observatory new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5642277 - 01/25/13 10:23 AM Attachment (25 downloads)

Quote:

Quote:

Carol,
Your Observatory is pretty neat. Do you have any more pictures of it? I like the hinged wall. Just curious how it all is put together. Thanks

Ken

Yes I do; however, I'll post some soon.

Here's another, as BYO is building it. No, the building is not tilting, rather the operator behind the camera It is however, residing on a slope.

DGB

Reged: 05/12/08

Loc: Reva, Virginia USA
      #5648472 - 01/28/13 03:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You know, it seems to me that with a big dob, you don't want an observatory. By the very essential needs of a Dob, you will want walls so low that they aren't much of walls any more when the observatory is "Open." And you won't want a "dome" over it. With a big dob, you want free, unobstructed space to crank that sucker around anytime and anyplace you want.

Sorry, I disagree. My dobservatory has 3' high walls, with one fold-down wall, and gives me excellent views; not to mention a clean, dry place in which to observe. No setting up time required, except hitting the button to open the roof. I would never have been able to have a 16" dob, without an observatory.

Hmm. Your fold down wall folds in rather than out. I need to think about that! The people who built your observatory are Pros and I can already think of a few good reasons to do it that way. I have to admit I was thinking about folding out.

Folding in, is much easier for me to lower/raise it. It takes up very little room when folded down. Folding out, I would think you'd need a pully, chains attached, etc., in order to lower & raise it.

I designed my southern windows (on farm gate hardware) to swing in rather than out for all of the above reasons, plus everyone I know of (unfortunately) is only getting older... If NOT given a choice as I age enjoying my observatory, I would rather fall inside trying to push the windows closed than possibly fall outside by leaning out of the observatory pulling heavy windows/walls to their closed position. I'm a dozen feet off the ground at the southern window sill height. Simple matter of K.I.S.S. design with some heavy consequences!

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
      #5651732 - 01/30/13 07:51 AM

Carol,
That is pretty neat. Looks like you get nice dark skies. I am in a hilly section of the country as well, nothing is flat the house I grew up in is on such a steep incline the first floor is street level in the back and ten feet off the ground in the front.

Ken

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Two telescopes. One observatory new [Re: kenrenard]
      #5652130 - 01/30/13 11:45 AM

I'm very fortunate, have great dark skies, and only one neighbor that lives here year around!

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
      #5652916 - 01/30/13 06:14 PM

Carol you can do so much with your set up. A nice table outside under a picnic shelter like roof. Mike

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Two telescopes. One observatory new [Re: mikey cee]
      #5652949 - 01/30/13 06:22 PM

Mike, I simply use my deck which is 40' long, where I have my BBQ.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2078

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics