Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: My Dome Observatory - Construction Log new [Re: Canada_LX10]
      #5711102 - 03/03/13 05:51 PM

A lot of cutting; but you certainly managed to get it done, and the ring looks great!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Canada_LX10

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: Portage la Prairie, Manitoba, ...
      #5719009 - 03/07/13 06:28 PM

Hi everyone. I have not been working on the observatory build as of late but I am starting again.

We had a huge dump of snow and I spent hours on the tractor snow blowing it. The wife got stuck on the rural roads the next day so she ended up staying home that day after I towed her out with the truck. The snow was drifted up so high and thick. They took 3 days to plow our roads because of the amount and slow progress. So that was a bit of distraction to building.

No photos today but I did sand the inside of the base ring so that the roller wheels will roll nice. Tonight I am going to cut and glue the second base ring. After that I should have more photos to share.

Keep checking back as this project is not stalled.

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
      #5719871 - 03/08/13 05:40 AM

Quote:

Cutting out the rough ribs. Used the jig saw to rough cut, then a router will trim them up to the final shape.

Interesting - your base ring and ribs from the same cut. Just for others considering such a project I find structurally the ribs [in vertical position] can be about half your size relative to the base ring, and whilst neat, it isn't essential to make the second cut to the inside edge within the dome. This saves by halving the total number of cuts. Hope you didn't mind the suggestion here

averen
Vendor Main Sequence Software

Reged: 01/20/09

Loc: Austin TX
Re: My Dome Observatory - Construction Log new [Re: nytecam]
      #5720387 - 03/08/13 12:03 PM

Quote:

I find structurally the ribs [in vertical position] can be about half your size relative to the base ring, and whilst neat, it isn't essential to make the second cut to the inside edge within the dome. This saves by halving the total number of cuts. Hope you didn't mind the suggestion here

I agree with the above. Doing the extra cut does make them look nicer, but it's faster to just trim the top to size. That's what I ended up doing on my dome. Here you can see the rib on the left with the 2 cuts, and the ribs on the right each with a single cut. The inside cut of one rib forms the outside cut of the next.

Jared

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
Re: My Dome Observatory - Construction Log new [Re: averen]
      #5720838 - 03/08/13 04:56 PM

I need a laser cutter with a 12 foot bed.... could cut ribs that way

Canada_LX10

Re: My Dome Observatory - Construction Log new [Re: Mary B]
      #5721009 - 03/08/13 06:42 PM

If you wanted to pay the setup fee...most water jet places would probably cut it. They don't care what material they cut... wood or metal...doesn't matter.

roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
      #5721755 - 03/09/13 08:17 AM

A trick worth trying is to cut the rings with a radius arm on either a jigsaw or a router with a panel cutting bit in it - the set-up would be the same as the 'compass' you used to draw the pattern piece. If you want the edges smoother, you can sandwich the completed cuts of ply and belt-sand them.
And, as suggested above, most urban areas offer both water-jet and laser cutting services, you can usually have the stock delivered directly to the shop, so no need to haul a dozen sheets of ply on the roof of the car.......
Russ

Canada_LX10

#5726196 - 03/11/13 03:58 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

Base ring completed. It does come apart into 2 halves so I can get it out of the basement.

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
      #5726615 - 03/11/13 07:01 PM

I still would spend another 10 bucks or less and put an additional spacer between the ones you already have... Overkill .. well maybe...maybe not ... especially over time

Bob G.

Canada_LX10

#5739122 - 03/17/13 05:01 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Today's work...

The base ring with the extra spacer blocks (doubled the number). I just have to fasten them on this side as the battery in the cordless pooped out.

Canada_LX10

#5739127 - 03/17/13 05:03 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

More...

The main inner slit arcs are rough cut and ready for the router table. Once these are done there are two inner and much thinner slit arcs to make. Then the focus will turn the the arcs for the sides.

So far the plywood sheet tally is at two sheets. The left over piece is that curved piece (upper right) in the second photo which should make a couple of the thinner arcs. I am pleased with the wood use and scraps. The waste is very little. Spacers were made from little scrap bits I had floating around but if you had to buy a 2x4...one piece would do them all. I am keeping a cost tally and spreadsheet of materials bought/used. I will post a final tally of cost and materials when completed.

Now the construction is going to take a more vertical approach. Should start looking like dome soon!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Joe C, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2593

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics