Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Footbag
Postmaster

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: Footbag]
      #5902664 - 06/04/13 09:14 PM

Big time progress! All the walls are framed out and half are sheathed including the door and window wall. My next steps will require tall ladder. And i hate ladders!

I hope to post some pics in the morning.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Footbag
Postmaster

#5903737 - 06/05/13 11:46 AM

Here's a photo update. I'm moving along nicely and just arranged for some scaffolding. This will make the part I was worried about go very smoothly.

2 1/2 walls are framed.

Door and window are in, but just for fit.

Edited by Footbag (06/05/13 11:47 AM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
      #5903827 - 06/05/13 12:32 PM

Looking pretty good! Keep it up.

dmdouglass
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/23/07

Loc: Tempe, AZ
Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: tim57064]
      #5904032 - 06/05/13 02:07 PM

Looking quite excellant in my humble opinion...

I think you should plan and construct a "Rooster Feeding and Sleeping Area" under the obs....

And when you are doing an "all nighter....", he can let you know when the sun is coming up....

shawnhar
Postmaster

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: dmdouglass]
      #5904853 - 06/05/13 10:19 PM

Coming along nicely!

Footbag
Postmaster

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: shawnhar]
      #5905712 - 06/06/13 10:51 AM

Thanks for the comments. I got so much done last Mon and Tues that I'm kind of amazed by my progress. The OSB is only going to take another hour or so. Then it's time to measure for, cut and install the 6x6 and 4x4 roof supports. That could either take a long time or not. I do have a scaffold, now. But I'm having trouble leveling it over my uneven ground.

OK. Someone just offered me scaffold levelers. Problem solved.

Time to really start thinking about the roof. I will be using V-groove wheels and angle iron. The pitch will be 4/12. I will likely use a ridge beam, but I'm still unsure of the final lumber size.

Footbag
Postmaster

#5912628 - 06/10/13 09:11 AM

Well, the observatory is wrapped with tyvek. I need to hammer in about 300 cap head nails, but its raining.

Also getting my roof lumber delivered today. My friend was going to come over to help, but we'll see with the rain.

Footbag
Postmaster

#5916832 - 06/12/13 12:08 PM

Two more rainy days off of work. The observatory is wrapped, nailed and the windows and door are flashed and installed.

I also got my wife to help me raise the 12' roof support posts. I told her it would be a nice 30m workout. Sure enough, we raised the first post in a matter of minutes. The second one was tougher, but not too tough. The wood was a bit swollen and didn't fit perfectly into the bracket. It took no longer then 15m (including two drink breaks), and this was one of my biggest concerns. Glad it's done. For now I have a short 4x4 as a mockup on there, but I should be picking up the 4x4x16' some time this week.

Next up is roof supports, roof hardware and roof framing. Since it involves angles and other tough cuts, I don't want to start until I can commit some time to it. Maybe not until next Monday. We'll see.

EDIT: Just got some bad news. The observatory's namesake, The Loose Rooster, is no longer. He got into a fight with a bird dog, and lost. I haven't got many of the details, but I guess a few of our neighbors are upset. I guess the loose rooster grew on all of us. We will be raising our glasses to the rooster at the observatory opening party.

Edited by Footbag (06/12/13 01:39 PM)

audioaficionado
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/24/12

Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA
      #5917092 - 06/12/13 02:22 PM

How is the loose dog going to fare?

The weather must be aggravating. Usually the astronomer's curse happens just before you try to observe or use your equipment. Hopefully you will have paid all your dues by the time you are ready to roll off the roof for first light.

Footbag
Postmaster

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: audioaficionado]
      #5917132 - 06/12/13 02:41 PM

Quote:

How is the loose dog going to fare?

The weather must be aggravating. Usually the astronomer's curse happens just before you try to observe or use your equipment. Hopefully you will have paid all your dues by the time you are ready to roll off the roof for first light.

Loose dog... Doesn't have the same ring to it.

I told the guy who delivers my lumber about the curse. We've joked about it (in the rain) every time he's made a delivery.

Footbag
Postmaster

#5917660 - 06/12/13 08:25 PM

Got the top beam up! My wife couldn't help me this time. So I had to work smart!

Footbag
Postmaster

#5926118 - 06/17/13 06:42 PM

Got my rear roof supports up and braced. I'm kind of stuck because I'm waiting for my roof track to be fabricated. I think that will take about a week. My casters should be here around then.

I'm going to get started on the siding in the meantime.

I'm still intimidated by the roof, but since I'm waiting for the track and casters, there will be a lot less that can go wrong.

hm insulators
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/07

#5929260 - 06/19/13 01:34 PM

I'm sorry you lost your rooster; he was a lot of fun!

Footbag
Postmaster

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: hm insulators]
      #5929625 - 06/19/13 04:24 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry you lost your rooster; he was a lot of fun!

Yeah. It is too bad. I'm trying to get word to the neighbors that if they want another rooster, I can provide one. Or at least a fertilized egg if they prefer. Of course it could easily be a chicken in that case.

So, I sent my wife to check out siding and get some estimates. They range from $400-$1500. Which one do you think she prefers? Yup, the $1500 one. Even worse, I think I prefer that one as well.

It's better quality siding and is a much thicker gauge, things I don't really need for an observatory. But, it gives me a way to accent my house and garage without matching it. I don't think I can justify it; this will raise the budget of the observatory well above the $3k I wanted to stick to. But, we will see. I have a hard time turning down "upgrades".

Footbag
Postmaster

#5933366 - 06/21/13 05:14 PM

We're compromising on the siding. We're doing vinyl cedar shakes, but not the premium ones. Northwoods is the brand. It's going to be slightly over $800 which breaks my overall budget of $3000 before the roof is payed for. Either way, I'm happy with how everything has gone so far.

I just received my casters and welded angle iron. I'm going to pick up my last few parts tomorrow after work and then hopefully get the roof done Monday and Tuesday. At least that is the plan.

All that's left is to finish framing the roof, the siding, the roofing, pour the final pier and the electrical. Wow, that sounds like a lot when I list it. And that's without the interior. Well, a summer project it is turning out to be.

audioaficionado
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/24/12

Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA
      #5933376 - 06/21/13 05:18 PM

Once you get the exterior all wrapped, you can work on the interior at your leisure rain or shine.

Footbag
Postmaster

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: audioaficionado]
      #5936280 - 06/23/13 12:07 PM

I'm ahead of schedule...

The angle iron showed up early...

I've been mentioning to my friends that I was going to need to pull a favor. I would love to have them show up Monday to give me a lift. That was about my time frame for having the rolling roof base finished. Well, I got out of work early yesterday and banged them out before it got dark.

After it got dark, I began convincing my wife and our friend that the three of us could manage it in the morning. They didn't think so. I told them I had a plan, but they wouldn't listen. Then at 11pm, I told them nevermind. I had an idea. I put in an hour or so of work and look what is on top of the observatory.

It rolls very smoothly. I do need to add some bracing to it. That should help keep it square while I'm building the roof.

I'm going with a stick built roof with a ridge beam. I've got my angles calculated, I just have to get the beam up there. That could be tough or easy. We will see.

Footbag
Postmaster

#5941629 - 06/26/13 03:34 PM

Between thunderstorms, I made some progress on the roof...

Got all of the framing done in 4 hours of work. Then it took me at least as long to sheath it. I don't mind cutting 2x's, but I hate cutting plywood and OSB.

Since I haven't ordered the roofing yet, I put felt up. I think my roofing will take a week and a half to come in. My siding will be delivered tomorrow, but I'm taking a building break until next Monday.

My Dan's pier plate also shipped. That means I'll be doing the final concrete soon too.

My feeling is all of the tough stuff is done. I've lifted my heaviest boards, cut my toughest cuts; now I'm just waiting till I can say I have an observatory. I'm really looking forward to doing some observing and imaging.

Footbag
Postmaster

#5945276 - 06/28/13 05:45 PM

We had heavy rains and flash flood warnings through the night. My observatory isn't sided or roofed yet. I stopped home to see how much water got in and where.

Nothing. Not a drop. Where I was a bit concerned before, I'm feeling good about this.

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #5945358 - 06/28/13 06:44 PM

Rain inside isn't that big of a deal. Contractors do it all the time and you just use a paint to seal the wood... I'm assuming your floor is already sealed since you have the walls up.

A little water ain't gonna kill it.

Looks great.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Joe C, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8133

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics