Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Footbag
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
Loose Rooster Observatory
      #5828174 - 04/28/13 11:51 AM

Well, the name is tentative, but it's growing on me. The day I began construction, I spent an hour trying to rescue a neighbors rooster. Well, it turns out it wasn't the neighbors rooster.

I'm going against the grain and building this observatory well within a red zone. Being close to home, I should get a lot of time with it and won't be worried about remote access. OF course, I'll still be dealing with LP, but I do plan on going CCD and NB before long.

It will also give me a nice view of the Sun throughout the day. So it qwill make a great solar observatory as well.

The site...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Footbag
Post Laureate

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: Footbag]
      #5828181 - 04/28/13 11:53 AM

As you've seen in other posts, this is the basic structure of the pier, footers, posts and joists. There will be some changes, but this is a good rough start.

I will be adding two additional supports for the roll off roof. The roof will roll left in the picture. I changed this from my original plan so I don't have to get rid of two massive stumps.

JAT Observatory
NOT a Wimp

Reged: 02/20/05

Loc: In the Primordial Soup
      #5828185 - 04/28/13 11:55 AM

I like the name. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
      #5828186 - 04/28/13 11:56 AM

Hey I absolutely, positively LOVE the tentative name....

Bob G.

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5828194 - 04/28/13 12:00 PM

The first problem was that my entire property is on bedrock. For the low-side footers and pier, I only have 6-12" before hitting it. This means I've been drilling 5/8" holes for rebar. I've been using a hammer drill and it is tedious.

So far I have about 20" of 75" done. This took about 2 hrs of drilling. I'm considering renting a rotary hammer, but we'll see. Depends on how tomorrow goes.

I have a mason who will do the pour for me. I just have to get all of my holes dug and forms set. Hopefully, I'm only about two weeks off.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5828214 - 04/28/13 12:08 PM

From the size of those rocks, you really are in rock!

I'm curious why you're considering the wood support for the floor on one side, while concrete on the other "tall" sides; rather than concrete for all the supports? Not that it matters, I'm just wondering.

Footbag
Post Laureate

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5828220 - 04/28/13 12:15 PM

Quote:

I'm curious why you're considering the wood support for the floor on one side, while concrete on the other "tall" sides?

If you look at the first picture, the entire area is sloped to the left. The entrance to the observatory will be off the driveway. The tall concrete supports actually drop into the ground within the retaining wall and drop to below the frostline. There will be backfill around them and the retaining wall will be rebult after the pour.

From what I've read, you would want the sonotube forms to finish 12" above grade. The tall concrete footers achieve this.

Yes. Big, hard rocks. And there is something about 5" down that takes forever to drill. I don't know if the bedrock just gets harder as you drill, but the last inch goes very slowly.

Edited by Footbag (04/28/13 12:18 PM)

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
      #5828704 - 04/28/13 04:35 PM

Sounds like a layer of granite, worst stuff on earth to drill anchor holes in. Ran into it installing a tower down in the river valley for a TV antenna.

csa/montana
Den Mama

#5828711 - 04/28/13 04:38 PM

Quote:

I don't know if the bedrock just gets harder as you drill, but the last inch goes very slowly.

Probably because you're aging very quickly as the drilling continues.

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5828721 - 04/28/13 04:43 PM

It actually seems like it's a layer of the rock. The left side of the rock is almost impossible to drill. The tool just stops drilling and no dust is coming out.

I was planning on renting a rotary hammer, but it looks like rain tomorrow. Maybe I'll go out shopping for my post anchors and mounting hardware.

Edited by Footbag (04/28/13 04:44 PM)

powerstroke01
sage

Reged: 06/19/07

Loc: Western Sierra Nevada Foothill...
      #5828889 - 04/28/13 06:37 PM

Cant wait to see this finished!

Footbag
Post Laureate

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: powerstroke01]
      #5830097 - 04/29/13 12:41 PM

Well, it's raining today, but the rooster is still out there...

I bit the bullet and purchased a rotary hammer. It was $69.99 at Harbor Freight. I could've rented a better one for about the same price, but then I'd only have a day with it. As it is, I'm getting the work done when I can. I cannot wait to give the new tool a try when the rain stops.

I also picked up some 6 Simpson Strong-Tie 6x6 post bases and ordered my anchor bolts.

I also ordered the Dan's Pier Plate Bolts and will also order the 12" pier plate. I'm wondering if the 12" pier means I will have more of a clearance issue, when going past the meridian. I think that's a possibility. Hopefully, any software I use will fix that with an auto meridian flip.

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5831810 - 04/30/13 09:04 AM

I couldn't help it and I went outside last night to give the new tool a try. It works very well. The holes should go quickly and since it's so easy, I may build my rebar form for the pier coming out of the bedrock. It will help me keep it clean looking and level.

I actually saw a picture of someone pouring a pier and his rebar looked like a piece of art. Perfectly spaced and welded. I don't know if it matters, but mine is pretty ugly.

I am also SERIOUSLY STRUGGLING determining my desired PIER HEIGHT! I'm all over the place from 36" to 50". I'm a 99% imager, but would love to be able to look through a piggybacked solar scope without a ladder. What are some average pier heights?

Edited by Footbag (04/30/13 09:10 AM)

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5844340 - 05/06/13 08:01 PM

Concrete is coming saturday!

Yay!

roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
      #5844599 - 05/06/13 10:39 PM

Quote:

I actually saw a picture of someone pouring a pier and his rebar looked like a piece of art. Perfectly spaced and welded. I don't know if it matters, but mine is pretty ugly.

The average amateur astro pier is built with enough rebar and concrete in it to anchor one end of the golden gate bridge, so don't be worried....a couple hunks will do you fine! The only thing important is to be sure the rebar is an inch minimum from the outside surface of the concrete. Other than that, bent scraps you found along the roadside will work just as good as perfect artwork measured to the thousandth of an inch...... one piece of 1/2" rebar in an 8" diameter post will make it strong enough that you can't break the top off with a backhoe (I know this because I've tried....) so anything beyond that, you're pretty darn safe.....
Russ

shawnhar
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
      #5845088 - 05/07/13 08:27 AM

Quote:

I am also SERIOUSLY STRUGGLING determining my desired PIER HEIGHT! I'm all over the place from 36" to 50". I'm a 99% imager, but would love to be able to look through a piggybacked solar scope without a ladder. What are some average pier heights?

LOL, who is ever going to bust the concreet open and say "Hmm...that rebar could have looked better".

Footbag
Post Laureate

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: roscoe]
      #5845106 - 05/07/13 08:38 AM

Yeah. I didn't think the cleanliness of the rebar would matter.

After conversing with the mason, he is going to use thicker rebar and clean it up a bit. He doesn't think we are going to be able to do the base and pier in one pour due to the height of the pier. Hopefully this won't matter much. It will make the job a lot easier.

Now, I only have to confirm my footings and set the sonotube heights. Then comes the concrete.

I'm going to order a 12" Dans Pier Plate and the lumber as soon as the pour is done.

rlandsboro

Reged: 02/23/12

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ. USA
      #5849185 - 05/09/13 01:42 AM

For pier height - start with the main scope OTA. Be sure the view through this scope will clear the wall of your obs when it is pointed up at about a 30-degree angle. The angle is really whatever you are comfortable with based on how you observe - do you ever look for targets less than 30 degrees above the horizon? If so, adjust that angle to your preference. This will tell you where the bottom of the OTA is in relation to your obs wall. Measure the distance to the floor, subtract the height of your mount and pier top plate, and the result is your desired pier height relative to your floor and obs wall.

The figures you determine above will also tell you the top height of the OTA.

Next determine the height of the piggy back mount and add half the aperture of your solar scope to that height. Add all that to the top of your OTA and you get the location of the eyepiece for the solar scope, with a diagonal turned sideways. If you view the sun early or late near the horizon be sure your view still clears the obs wall based on the characteristics of your mount.

Is this a height at which you can comfortably view? If yes, you are good to pour the pier.

You get the idea. Play around with it - draw some simple diagrams that include you and you will get comfortable.

And you can always pour a little short and try it out. You can put couplers on the mounting bolts later and extend them upward and add more concrete - or have a short steel pier made to your spec.

Good for you for going for it!

Footbag
Post Laureate

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: rlandsboro]
      #5849837 - 05/09/13 11:24 AM

Well, I'm back and forth. Normally, I'd just say go higher, who cares if I can see through the tube. But I'm thinking of setting it around 38" with the pier plate.

This should clear the walls and the horizon, which isn't as generous as I'd like. I think my polar alignment scope will have most of it's field visible, but not all. I'm trying not to concern myself with that as I'll probably only use it once.

So the weather is calling for rain on Saturday. I hope this doesn't delay my project.

corpusse
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/11/10

Loc: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
      #5849885 - 05/09/13 11:55 AM

I love the name, and the rocks scare me. I will start digging my pier this weekend and I have no idea what lays under the ground

Hopefully I will have a creative moment and think up a name for mine that is as interesting as yours.

Edited by corpusse (05/09/13 11:56 AM)

Starman27
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/29/06

Loc: Illinois, Iowa
Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: corpusse]
      #5849893 - 05/09/13 12:00 PM

Enjoy your build. Can't wait to see your progress.

stmguy
sage

Reged: 10/11/12

Loc: Western NH
      #5849944 - 05/09/13 12:36 PM

I'm kind of partial to topping off the cement pier with a metal pier, that way you can make it shorter or longer pretty easily ..also it will give you more clearance for your tube if your mount is a GEM when near the meridian

Norm

mikertx
sage

Reged: 09/29/05

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: stmguy]
      #5851109 - 05/09/13 10:56 PM

Quote:

I'm kind of partial to topping off the cement pier with a metal pier, that way you can make it shorter or longer pretty easily ..also it will give you more clearance for your tube if your mount is a GEM when near the meridian

Norm

Bingo! I have had my observatory for over 8 years and I have modified the pier twice in that time. The first modification was to shorten the pier when I moved from an MI-250 to an AP-900 mount and to beef it up. That is documented here,
http://www.mikesastro.com/equipment/pier2/

Since then I have upgraded to an AP-1200 and I needed to shorten again by almost 6 inches. This time all I had to do was take the metal pier part down and saw off 6", re-drill the holes to mount the top plate and I was done.

Good luck,
Mike

Footbag
Post Laureate

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: mikertx]
      #5851592 - 05/10/13 09:04 AM

Well. The curse applies to observatories. It looks like rain tonight and tomorrow. I have a feeling my concrete will be delayed.

EDIT: Just got the text. Delayed.

Edited by Footbag (05/10/13 09:32 AM)

stmguy
sage

#5853302 - 05/11/13 06:23 AM

I would say that 9 out of 10 times when I've poured concrete it's been raining
Norm

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5853416 - 05/11/13 09:15 AM

Yes. But we still have to build the form for the pier and set the rebar. Honestly, I'd rather not rush that.

EDIT: Rescheduled... Hopefully it won't rain next Saturday. I don't know if I can handle another week wait, at least it's raining.

Edited by Footbag (05/11/13 09:39 AM)

stmguy
sage

#5855092 - 05/12/13 09:34 AM

You can set up a temp shelter with a tarp or plastic and work under that if it comes to that. I had a volunteer group of about 15 people lined up to dig the holes for the sonatubes for a playground we were installing for our school and it rained all day...we worked under the tarps and that saved the day for us
Norm

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5859383 - 05/14/13 08:54 AM

The weather for Saturday is looking good. Today it's freezing.

I'm planning on setting the pier at 36" above where the floor should be. The pier plate will add about 4". I made the template for the bolt pattern. I will order the 12" Dans Pier Plate soon.

The wait is killing me. And sure enough, my back is acting up. Hopefully, once the observatory is done, that wont hinder my imaging.

I'm starting to think about what's going to happen after the concrete. Framing, etc... I'm thinking it could go quickly once the concrete sets.

I'll need a power plan including power for the pier, the PC workstation and lighting. I'm planning both normal lighting and red lighting. I don't know whether I should get 12v to the pier or just 110 and then use an regulated power supply. I'd like to keep it clean, but I'm not sure what the normal configuration is.

Edited by Footbag (05/14/13 09:53 AM)

dmdouglass
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/23/07

Loc: Tempe, AZ
      #5860308 - 05/14/13 04:20 PM

Sometimes as i read through the various forums, and threads, my wife will come up and ask what it is that i am reading about. Hmmmmmm.

Today, it was the "Loose Rooster Observatory" thread. She got very curious. It truly is a GREAT name, and a GREAT story. Certainly deserving of a SPECIAL LOGO for the obs... and certainly, there MUST be some pictures around of this elusive creature.

But alas... for all the "picture demanding CN'ers" out here, there has been no picture of the Loose Rooster. Now, i ask you, how is this possible.

We Need Pictures... (and not just of the obs....) !!

Footbag
Post Laureate

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: dmdouglass]
      #5860371 - 05/14/13 04:52 PM

Ask and you shall receive...

Agatha
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/04/12

Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin
      #5861930 - 05/15/13 11:28 AM

That is a really beautiful loose rooster.

dmdouglass
professor emeritus

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: Agatha]
      #5863765 - 05/16/13 05:29 AM

Yes it is....
Thanks for the pic !!

Now you need to design a really neat logo,and make a plaque for the obs.....

Your choosen obs name is too good to not take advantage of. It is simply fantastic !!

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5863897 - 05/16/13 08:32 AM

I'm planning a logo for a wood plaque. Trying to come up with other uses for the logo.

I'm also thinking about throwing a party for the opening.

Now, I'm just counting the seconds until my concrete arrives. 160,428...

csa/montana
Den Mama

#5863976 - 05/16/13 09:19 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

You need a nice concrete rooster for your observatory!

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
      #5864261 - 05/16/13 11:36 AM

Quote:

You need a nice concrete rooster for your observatory!

Yes,I agree! Only don't bolt or glue it down. Leave it "loose."

Calypte
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/20/07

Loc: Anza, California
Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: tim53]
      #5864620 - 05/16/13 01:51 PM

What's the rooster made of? It'd probably blow away here in Anza.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: Calypte]
      #5865383 - 05/16/13 06:02 PM

Quote:

What's the rooster made of? It'd probably blow away here in Anza.

Kind of doubt it; solid concrete.

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
      #5865791 - 05/16/13 08:28 PM

Depends on how windy it gets. In Milford, Utah, we use an anvil hanging from a chain as a wind sock.

Footbag
Post Laureate

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: tim53]
      #5866931 - 05/17/13 11:38 AM

I'm pretty mad! My concrete guy just cancelled for tomorrow. This is after stringing me along for 3 weeks.

I'm just going to find someone else.

OK. I think I've found a new guy. Unfortunately the last guy told me to stop setting the forms as he was confident that he could do it all in a couple of hours. Now, I need to build the form, set the sonotube, level and backfill before he shows up on Tuesday.

And it's suppose to rain on Tuesday. I do have one more building question.

Do I have to worry about the backfilled sonotube holes collapsing in the rain? Even if tarped over?

Edited by Footbag (05/17/13 12:52 PM)

roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
      #5868018 - 05/17/13 07:46 PM

Adam,

If you're tarped over, you should be OK, but make it into sort of a tent, so it sheds the water a few feet from the tubes. A sawhorse, upside-down wheelbarrow, or whatever's on hand holding the tarp up in the middle and rocks or something holding the edges down will do the trick. You could also pull a trash bag over the top of each sonotube for more security. As long as they are buried, the pressure of the dirt will hold them in place.
Russ

Footbag
Post Laureate

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: roscoe]
      #5870920 - 05/19/13 08:59 AM

Update: I built the form, bent, drilled, built and set the rebar cage, set the form around it, leveled, pinned, set and backfilled all but two sonotubes.

I'll get the sonotubes done tonight or tomorrow, I need to add some rebar to the cage and I'm pretty much ready for concrete. If I'm lucky, I'll get it Tuesday.

Right now, everything it tarped over. My body is sore. I'm not sure what the hardest thing was to do, but I think bending the rebar made me sore. Probably would've made a funny video.

It also looks like I'll be finishing the pier top myself. 6 or 7 80LB bags of concrete. I'm both looking forward to that and fearing it.

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5873881 - 05/20/13 02:36 PM

I'm 99% setup. Forms, footers, rebar, etc...

The new concrete guy came over and said no problem. We're setup for a Wednesday pour. He seemed a lot more approachable then the last guy and we seemed to speak the same language. Plus, he's a lot cheaper.

Hopefully all goes well.

EricP
sage

Reged: 11/09/07

Loc: Dallas, Texas
      #5874280 - 05/20/13 05:26 PM

Quote:

Depends on how windy it gets. In Milford, Utah, we use an anvil hanging from a chain as a wind sock.

Footbag
Post Laureate

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: EricP]
      #5875647 - 05/21/13 11:43 AM

LOL! The rooster wondered over to see my work. We're on better terms now that I'm not trying to catch him.

Concrete tomorrow morning. Many pictures of concrete curing to follow.

hm insulators
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/07

#5875716 - 05/21/13 12:13 PM

A plant nursery I used to work at years ago for a while had a rooster that looked like the one in the picture; we had named it Roy. It all started when somebody as a New Year's Eve prank dropped off a bunch of chickens at the nursery. Some people who owned chickens came and were able to catch most of the chickens, but Roy utterly refused to be captured and in time he became the nursery mascot. Sadly, he was later captured by a coyote.

Footbag
Post Laureate

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: hm insulators]
      #5877944 - 05/22/13 12:40 PM

The concrete came at 7:30am. And everything was going perfect. Too perfect!

Then just as we got the form filled, the bottom burst.

Fortunately the rope(Thanks Alex)and the other supports held and we were able to recover nicely. But not before a tense moment.

So the job is done, I'm happy, and it cost 1/3 of what I was quoted by the guy who stood me up three times.

zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
      #5879270 - 05/22/13 11:09 PM

Congrats!

Yes, it gets kinda tense when a blow out occurs...

Footbag
Post Laureate

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: zerro1]
      #5881798 - 05/24/13 09:00 AM

The logo...

Well, the form won't be nearly as ugly as it could've been. I cleaned up a lot of the spillage and if anyone looks under the obseratory at the pier base, I'll have a nice story to tell them.

I did order a Dan's pier plate.

I'm about to order my lumber. I don't know whetther to buy the floor and supports first, or all of the lumber all at once. I'm starting to get pressure from the boss to move up to my summer home. And the lumber will fill up my garage. At least I'll have everything though.

I also need to begin seriously looking at my roof design. It will likely determine my wall design.

Edited by Footbag (05/24/13 09:03 AM)

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5888666 - 05/28/13 10:39 AM

The forms are off and the blowout doesn't look so bad...

Overall site picture...

...and I just unloaded most (joists were out of stock)of my lumber in the rain. It looks like it's going to rain for a while as well. It figures.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
      #5888690 - 05/28/13 10:52 AM

Wow, thats a huge footing and pier. what do you hope to put on there in the future, a 24" Sct Or larger?

Norm Meyer
sage

Reged: 02/08/09

Loc: Warren, ME 04864
Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: tim57064]
      #5888737 - 05/28/13 11:25 AM

Adam,
Nice looking pier. It ought to be rugged enough
to hold whatever you want to put on it. What I did,
because I'm lazy, after I poured my footing, is started
building my pier with cement blocks (cause I already had them). When I was approaching ground level I looked at the
blocks and was afraid there was too many places for frost to
grab hold and start lifting or shifting the pier. I had and
old 55 gal drum with one end open. I looked at it and measured the diagonal of the pier which was 16 x 16 inches.
Voila! It was just under 24" so I cut out the other end of the barrel and slipped it down over the blocks and filled the surrounding area with cement.It saved me from having to
build a form and mixing as much cement. Ihe pier has been
there for 17 years and has never been affected by frost.
Norm

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5888750 - 05/28/13 11:29 AM

Quote:

Wow, thats a huge footing and pier. what do you hope to put on there in the future, a 24" Sct Or larger?

I don't know what may go on there in the future, probably a combination of OTA's. But now, I don't need to worry about it.:) Only 6" below it was bedrock, so I figured over pour it above ground. The price is pretty much the same for a cu yard or two cu yards after delivery as well.

Edited by Footbag (05/28/13 11:44 AM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#5888808 - 05/28/13 12:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't know what may go on there in the future, probably a combination of OTA's. But now, I don't need to worry about it.:) Only 6" below it was bedrock, so I figured over pour it above ground. The price is pretty much the same for a cu yard or two cu yards after delivery as well.

Well it will be extremely solid for what ever you want to put on it.Will be following your posts.

dmdouglass
professor emeritus

#5888857 - 05/28/13 12:19 PM

Love the logo !!!
And the cement job seems to have been saved quite well.

I look forward to watching your project grow.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/24/12

Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA
      #5889036 - 05/28/13 02:01 PM

That thing ain't goin' anywhere until the next ice age scrapes it off .

hm insulators
Post Laureate

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: audioaficionado]
      #5889404 - 05/28/13 05:30 PM

Great logo!

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5889416 - 05/28/13 05:37 PM

Well. The rain stopped for two hours and I notched three of the four 6x6's. These are my first and toughest cuts, butt hey went very well. I'll spare you the pictures, well at least until I get some good ones.

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5892121 - 05/30/13 10:42 AM

So, I unloaded my lumber in the rain on Tuesday. It turns out the lumber company gave me their last 2x8's and were out of 2x6's and 3/4" plywood. That's kind of surprising to me. They seem like common materials.

Even worse, since I got the end of their stock, I don't think my lumber was the best. Two of my 2x8's had bad warps to them. I didn't realize it and I took my square off a warped board and built the floor slightly out of square. I could barely sleep last night thinking about it, so I woke up early this morning and fixed it.

It's both a good thing and a bad thing that I was shorted lumber. If I had it all, I likely would've kept building not realizing it was out of square. Well, after dreaming about it all night, it was a 10m fix. Can't wait to get back to work.

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5895696 - 06/01/13 09:33 AM

Update: Last night it was clear and I was standing on the floor of my new observatory. I'm a lot less concerned about wall height. I should have a nice view of the sky right down to the treeline.

As for construction, I got my 'shorted' lumber yesterday. The joists are in as well as the additional bracing around the pier. My next plan is to plane a few of the warped braces before fastening the plywood floor down.

I have one thing that's beginning to bother me. My rear roof supports will be 12' high. They will be anchored with post bases and braced off each other, but I didn't have a good plan for bracing in line with the observatory. I should've extended my beams, but I wanted to keep the area open behind it. Now I'm rethinking it. It's possible that the horizontal roof supports will brace them sufficiently, but I'm not confident yet. I may have to add bracing below the building off the post.

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5897676 - 06/02/13 11:43 AM

Update: The floor is down. Doing the floor in 90F weather was the toughest thing I've done so far. Not only was it very heavy, I was moving slowly and the heat was playing tricks on me. I must have lost my safety glasses and tape measure 20 times. It's funny because I've moved 3/4" ply by myself before, but never pressure treated. I was kind of surprised by the weight.

My lumber delivery was very intimidating. I ordered 6x6x16's for the rear roof supports. I just figured they would be unmanageable for a skinny astronomer. Well, it turns out they will only weigh 125lbs when cut down. I've raised basketball hoops heavier then that, so I'm not so worried. I think I can manage it with a friend. Now, getting up the the top of it to mount the horizontal ROR support is going to be tough.

Framing the exterior walls is next. The only stumbling block I have is getting the horizontal support 4x4 sufficiently built into the top of the observatory frame. It needs to be perfectly flush, but seems like it will prevent me from overlapping my top plates. I may need a creative solution for that.

Side View

click for larger image

Front View

click for larger image

Big wood!

click for larger image

Edited by Footbag (06/02/13 12:02 PM)

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5902664 - 06/04/13 09:14 PM

Big time progress! All the walls are framed out and half are sheathed including the door and window wall. My next steps will require tall ladder. And i hate ladders!

I hope to post some pics in the morning.

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5903737 - 06/05/13 11:46 AM

Here's a photo update. I'm moving along nicely and just arranged for some scaffolding. This will make the part I was worried about go very smoothly.

2 1/2 walls are framed.

Door and window are in, but just for fit.

Edited by Footbag (06/05/13 11:47 AM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#5903827 - 06/05/13 12:32 PM

Looking pretty good! Keep it up.

dmdouglass
professor emeritus

#5904032 - 06/05/13 02:07 PM

Looking quite excellant in my humble opinion...

I think you should plan and construct a "Rooster Feeding and Sleeping Area" under the obs....

And when you are doing an "all nighter....", he can let you know when the sun is coming up....

shawnhar
Post Laureate

#5904853 - 06/05/13 10:19 PM

Coming along nicely!

Footbag
Post Laureate

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: shawnhar]
      #5905712 - 06/06/13 10:51 AM

Thanks for the comments. I got so much done last Mon and Tues that I'm kind of amazed by my progress. The OSB is only going to take another hour or so. Then it's time to measure for, cut and install the 6x6 and 4x4 roof supports. That could either take a long time or not. I do have a scaffold, now. But I'm having trouble leveling it over my uneven ground.

OK. Someone just offered me scaffold levelers. Problem solved.

Time to really start thinking about the roof. I will be using V-groove wheels and angle iron. The pitch will be 4/12. I will likely use a ridge beam, but I'm still unsure of the final lumber size.

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5912628 - 06/10/13 09:11 AM

Well, the observatory is wrapped with tyvek. I need to hammer in about 300 cap head nails, but its raining.

Also getting my roof lumber delivered today. My friend was going to come over to help, but we'll see with the rain.

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5916832 - 06/12/13 12:08 PM

Two more rainy days off of work. The observatory is wrapped, nailed and the windows and door are flashed and installed.

I also got my wife to help me raise the 12' roof support posts. I told her it would be a nice 30m workout. Sure enough, we raised the first post in a matter of minutes. The second one was tougher, but not too tough. The wood was a bit swollen and didn't fit perfectly into the bracket. It took no longer then 15m (including two drink breaks), and this was one of my biggest concerns. Glad it's done. For now I have a short 4x4 as a mockup on there, but I should be picking up the 4x4x16' some time this week.

Next up is roof supports, roof hardware and roof framing. Since it involves angles and other tough cuts, I don't want to start until I can commit some time to it. Maybe not until next Monday. We'll see.

EDIT: Just got some bad news. The observatory's namesake, The Loose Rooster, is no longer. He got into a fight with a bird dog, and lost. I haven't got many of the details, but I guess a few of our neighbors are upset. I guess the loose rooster grew on all of us. We will be raising our glasses to the rooster at the observatory opening party.

Edited by Footbag (06/12/13 01:39 PM)

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

#5917092 - 06/12/13 02:22 PM

How is the loose dog going to fare?

The weather must be aggravating. Usually the astronomer's curse happens just before you try to observe or use your equipment. Hopefully you will have paid all your dues by the time you are ready to roll off the roof for first light.

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5917132 - 06/12/13 02:41 PM

Quote:

How is the loose dog going to fare?

The weather must be aggravating. Usually the astronomer's curse happens just before you try to observe or use your equipment. Hopefully you will have paid all your dues by the time you are ready to roll off the roof for first light.

Loose dog... Doesn't have the same ring to it.

I told the guy who delivers my lumber about the curse. We've joked about it (in the rain) every time he's made a delivery.

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5917660 - 06/12/13 08:25 PM

Got the top beam up! My wife couldn't help me this time. So I had to work smart!

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5926118 - 06/17/13 06:42 PM

Got my rear roof supports up and braced. I'm kind of stuck because I'm waiting for my roof track to be fabricated. I think that will take about a week. My casters should be here around then.

I'm going to get started on the siding in the meantime.

I'm still intimidated by the roof, but since I'm waiting for the track and casters, there will be a lot less that can go wrong.

hm insulators
Post Laureate

#5929260 - 06/19/13 01:34 PM

I'm sorry you lost your rooster; he was a lot of fun!

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5929625 - 06/19/13 04:24 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry you lost your rooster; he was a lot of fun!

Yeah. It is too bad. I'm trying to get word to the neighbors that if they want another rooster, I can provide one. Or at least a fertilized egg if they prefer. Of course it could easily be a chicken in that case.

So, I sent my wife to check out siding and get some estimates. They range from $400-$1500. Which one do you think she prefers? Yup, the $1500 one. Even worse, I think I prefer that one as well.

It's better quality siding and is a much thicker gauge, things I don't really need for an observatory. But, it gives me a way to accent my house and garage without matching it. I don't think I can justify it; this will raise the budget of the observatory well above the $3k I wanted to stick to. But, we will see. I have a hard time turning down "upgrades".

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5933366 - 06/21/13 05:14 PM

We're compromising on the siding. We're doing vinyl cedar shakes, but not the premium ones. Northwoods is the brand. It's going to be slightly over $800 which breaks my overall budget of $3000 before the roof is payed for. Either way, I'm happy with how everything has gone so far.

I just received my casters and welded angle iron. I'm going to pick up my last few parts tomorrow after work and then hopefully get the roof done Monday and Tuesday. At least that is the plan.

All that's left is to finish framing the roof, the siding, the roofing, pour the final pier and the electrical. Wow, that sounds like a lot when I list it. And that's without the interior. Well, a summer project it is turning out to be.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

#5933376 - 06/21/13 05:18 PM

Once you get the exterior all wrapped, you can work on the interior at your leisure rain or shine.

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5936280 - 06/23/13 12:07 PM

I'm ahead of schedule...

The angle iron showed up early...

I've been mentioning to my friends that I was going to need to pull a favor. I would love to have them show up Monday to give me a lift. That was about my time frame for having the rolling roof base finished. Well, I got out of work early yesterday and banged them out before it got dark.

After it got dark, I began convincing my wife and our friend that the three of us could manage it in the morning. They didn't think so. I told them I had a plan, but they wouldn't listen. Then at 11pm, I told them nevermind. I had an idea. I put in an hour or so of work and look what is on top of the observatory.

It rolls very smoothly. I do need to add some bracing to it. That should help keep it square while I'm building the roof.

I'm going with a stick built roof with a ridge beam. I've got my angles calculated, I just have to get the beam up there. That could be tough or easy. We will see.

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5941629 - 06/26/13 03:34 PM

Between thunderstorms, I made some progress on the roof...

Got all of the framing done in 4 hours of work. Then it took me at least as long to sheath it. I don't mind cutting 2x's, but I hate cutting plywood and OSB.

Since I haven't ordered the roofing yet, I put felt up. I think my roofing will take a week and a half to come in. My siding will be delivered tomorrow, but I'm taking a building break until next Monday.

My Dan's pier plate also shipped. That means I'll be doing the final concrete soon too.

My feeling is all of the tough stuff is done. I've lifted my heaviest boards, cut my toughest cuts; now I'm just waiting till I can say I have an observatory. I'm really looking forward to doing some observing and imaging.

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5945276 - 06/28/13 05:45 PM

We had heavy rains and flash flood warnings through the night. My observatory isn't sided or roofed yet. I stopped home to see how much water got in and where.

Nothing. Not a drop. Where I was a bit concerned before, I'm feeling good about this.

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #5945358 - 06/28/13 06:44 PM

Rain inside isn't that big of a deal. Contractors do it all the time and you just use a paint to seal the wood... I'm assuming your floor is already sealed since you have the walls up.

A little water ain't gonna kill it.

Looks great.

Footbag
Post Laureate

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: Raginar]
      #5946240 - 06/29/13 09:58 AM

Quote:

Rain inside isn't that big of a deal. Contractors do it all the time and you just use a paint to seal the wood... I'm assuming your floor is already sealed since you have the walls up.

A little water ain't gonna kill it.

Looks great.

I've already been there. I couldn't prevent the framing from getting rained on. Fortunately, I used PT for the flooring. I did use OSB for the walls and roof, I don't believe it is advisable to let that get wet. So I wrapped the walls and put the tar paper on the roof. Ironically, roofing felt was originally designed not as a waterproof layer, but as a protection for the roof during construction. At some point, they integrated it into the building process, slightly changed the material, and suggested leaving it on as an added protection layer.

My roof is up and felted and my walls are on and wrapped. So I'm really just assessing the water resistance of the structure without the vinyl siding and metal roofing.

Since it keeps all the moisture out without the final coverings, I think that means it is well waterproofed. I had concerns about my eaves which currently don't have an overhang, but will have a 2" one when I'm done.

Raginar
Post Laureate

#5946255 - 06/29/13 10:09 AM

You made a deck for your flooring right? How are you keeping the bugs and crawlies from getting into your shed? Did you put down screen material?

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5946286 - 06/29/13 10:27 AM

Quote:

You made a deck for your flooring right? How are you keeping the bugs and crawlies from getting into your shed? Did you put down screen material?

Actually the PT plywood is the subfloor. I am going to put something like luan over it and then use some leftover flooring I have from another project.

I'm moving away from carpet as I'm hoping to be able to wipe the whole interior down with a rag. So the interior wall and flooring must be waterproof. I may use PVC panels for the walls.

As for the bugs, I'm going to use a pesticide.

Raginar
Post Laureate

#5947347 - 06/29/13 11:45 PM

Pesticides are my favorite answer.

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5955783 - 07/05/13 10:00 AM

I finished all but a 15m worth of siding(the opposite peak). I had to paint the fascia first and am about to order my roofing.

I also poured the top of the pier. It has a generous amount of conduit in there. I'm wondering whether I can bring AC and DC through the same conduit.

I love it when you get twice as much done as you expected.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#5955806 - 07/05/13 10:12 AM

Wow, the shake style siding you chose looks great,love that look. Great job. Thanks for keeping us up to date. I check out the observatory posts,as they are my favorite, every day and seems as though the number of posts are slowing. Keep up the good work!

corpusse
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/11/10

Loc: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
      #5955873 - 07/05/13 10:51 AM

Building looks great! Sorry to hear about the Rooster.

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5955960 - 07/05/13 11:37 AM

Thanks for the comments. I haven't posted much because the weather wasn't cooperating. Fortunately I got twice as much done as I expected in the last two days.

I will keep updating it as posts like this were my best reference when I was planning and building my observatory. To be honest, 75% of my building knowledge came from forum posts. Hopefully this helps others in the future.

It looks like I may be using the observatory in a week or so. I have plans for the interior, but haven't done any observing or imaging in over a month.

shawnhar
Post Laureate

#5961476 - 07/08/13 11:53 PM

Coming along very nicely!

Footbag
Post Laureate

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: shawnhar]
      #5964147 - 07/10/13 02:24 PM

Well, my observatory has AC power! My friend came over to help me get an electrical plan and parts list. He offered to come back the next day to help me out. By the time he called, I had it all setup and the breakers were on.

There's no DC yet, but that should be the easy part. At least now, I can switch on the light and work in the dark.

I'm planning on getting the conduit to the pier setup for DC, Ethernet and USB and then taking a building break. I think I'm going to mount the telescope tomorrow. Or maybe tonight. But then I'll break it down.

I still don't have my roofing, but it should be here Friday or so.

My plans for the interior are to use moisture resistant sheetrock and some basic trim. I'm considering buying some white plexiglass and fabricating a glowing chair rail. This would glow red or white or whatever color I chose. I may also make it double as a flatpanel if possible.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

#5964359 - 07/10/13 04:32 PM

Make sure that sheetrock is mold proof. I have black mold all over my house that comes out of the old style paper backed gypsum sheetrock.

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5964373 - 07/10/13 04:38 PM

Yup. This will be the green stuff.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

#5964394 - 07/10/13 04:50 PM

Make sure it's mold proof. That product has been around for decades and is great for mastic glue on ceramic tile as it doesn't crumble, but it has to have nothing for the mold to eat or strong inhibitors to prevent its growth. Perhaps the new versions already have these properties since black mold health issue are so widely published.

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5964411 - 07/10/13 05:00 PM

Quote:

Make sure it's mold proof. That product has been around for decades and is great for mastic glue on ceramic tile as it doesn't crumble, but it has to have nothing for the mold to eat or strong inhibitors to prevent its growth. Perhaps the new versions already have these properties since black mold health issue are so widely published.

Yes. They say something like mold resistant right on the side. I'll look further into it to make sure, but I know it has something about mold on the side.

audioaficionado
professor emeritus

#5964432 - 07/10/13 05:10 PM

Then your paint will be the final mold barrier.

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5965639 - 07/11/13 12:40 PM

I was debating whether or not to put the telescope on the pier. I figured that as soon as I put it on, I'd want to polar align and start using it. It may just kill my motivation to put some of the finishing touches on the observatory.

Well, I couldn't resist...

But as soon as it was up, the clouds moved in. I guess I will have some time to do the finishing touches. I really hope to be using it next week. I just need to find or build a desk and run my DC. I'm going to hold off on sheetrock until the end of the summer.

I don't want to cover up the walls to have to rip them out to add something.

Raginar
Post Laureate

#5966635 - 07/12/13 12:17 AM

Looks great. Nothing wrong with leaving it studs, bro.

JJK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/28/08

#5966925 - 07/12/13 07:58 AM

The observatory looks great and you got it built rather quickly.

Footbag
Post Laureate

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: JJK]
      #5967060 - 07/12/13 09:46 AM

Thanks for the comments.

Right before I started construction, I bought a new finderscope and sold my old one. I completely forgot about it, but when I tried to use it, I found it didn't quite let me hit the alignment point. It turns out the diagonal was rubbing the bottom of the finder bracket. I did some grinding a few months ago and though I had ground enough. Turns out it wasn't enough.

So I couldn't use really the observatory last night, and I'm away for the weekend. But, I think the finder is sufficiently ground and I should be using it Monday.

The roofing still isn't on, but the building is keeping the water out well. Roofing should be here next week. That should go quickly, as with DC, USB and Cat5e wiring.

I'm still just coming to grips with the fact that I have an observatory. It was cloudy last night, but between the clouds I had the roof opened up a few times(trying to align the finder). Normally, when I break down, I regret it. Now, there is no breakdown. Just an occasional switching of the solar scope for the refractor.

Edited by Footbag (07/12/13 09:53 AM)

csa/montana
Den Mama

#5967068 - 07/12/13 09:50 AM

Adam, you will wonder how you did without an observatory! So many times I lugged my dob, access. case, chair out on the deck for it to cool down, only to have clouds move it as it got dark.

Now, just a few seconds & I'm observing!

Congratulations on your new observatory!

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5967079 - 07/12/13 09:55 AM

Quote:

Adam, you will wonder how you did without an observatory! So many times I lugged my dob, access. case, chair out on the deck for it to cool down, only to have clouds move it as it got dark.

Now, just a few seconds & I'm observing!

Congratulations on your new observatory!

Thanks again, and thanks to everyone here who gave advice or posted build threads that I most likely referred to. Your pictures and advice was extremely helpful.

If any newbies have any questions about building an observatory, let me know.

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5974616 - 07/16/13 05:00 PM

The roofing is on! The hard work is done! I got to use it the last two nights. First for some visual with friends, and then last night some imaging. Got the Blinking planetary!

This morning, my roofing showed up and I got it done by 1:30. Any longer and I wouldn't have been able to take the heat. At first I was afraid I'd slip on my sweat drops. Then I was afraid my shoes were going to melt. Fortunately it's done.

My last exterior pic...

I'm hoping to use it tonight, I've got everything setup and aligned. I just upgraded to the new BackyardEOS. I'd love to get astrotortilla working before it gets too late.

LoveChina61
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/09

#5975029 - 07/16/13 09:12 PM

Beautiful first shot of the Blinking Nebula. The proof is in the pudding. Tight round stars and a clear view of the Nebula itself. Awesome!

Raginar
Post Laureate

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: LoveChina61]
      #5975041 - 07/16/13 09:20 PM

Wow, Flickr added ads to links? I'm not using that hosting anymore. Do you have a better link like astrobin?

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5975141 - 07/16/13 10:22 PM

I have an astrobin account. Just never got to uploading my library of files. I'm about to create a website for the observatory. No ads on that one!

hm insulators
Post Laureate

#5976192 - 07/17/13 03:19 PM

Man, you guys back east have been having some real heat that you're just not used to! I've never spent a summer back east, but I understand the humidity is just dreadful.

Here in Arizona, we complain if the humidity gets much above 20%.

Raginar
Post Laureate

#5976947 - 07/17/13 10:45 PM

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
      #5977512 - 07/18/13 09:33 AM

Nice shot of the blinking planetary! It's tough to get it between blinks!

-Dan

Footbag
Post Laureate

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5977580 - 07/18/13 10:08 AM

Thanks for the comments.

Last night I opened up the observatory and was imaging within 5m. Then I saw some lighting, and I shut it all down. I'm really liking this. I would've been struggling to break it all down. Those days are gone!

csa/montana
Den Mama

#5977713 - 07/18/13 11:24 AM

Nice, isn't it?

EddWen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

#5977896 - 07/18/13 01:04 PM

Just do one more thing when you button up. Disconnect your cables and power plugs. I lost my obs laptop to a lightning strike quite a ways distant.

Footbag
Post Laureate

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: EddWen]
      #5977906 - 07/18/13 01:08 PM

Yup. I've been unplugging everything.

It takes 10s. Breakdown used to take me 20m, so 10s isn't going to bother me. I'm still on cloud 9 with the new observatory. Now I just need to wait for the dark cycle to return.

Raginar
Post Laureate

#5983702 - 07/21/13 09:44 PM

Funny, there are ads to your photos on my phone but not on my desktop... Great build!

Footbag
Post Laureate

#6287650 - 01/02/14 01:37 PM

I'm pretty happy with this. I got a Foscam monitoring the telescope. I can now confirm that my slews are going where I want them to. I can also keep an eye on my pier.

I have a focuser on order. Once I get that, I will be able to run my observatory from anywhere. That is, if I can get someone to open the roof. Garage door opener is coming in the spring.

I am going to break this link shortly, so enjoy it for now.

http://xxxxxx.myfoscam.org:88/

df2989 - insert this into link where x's are.

L:Loose
P:Rooster

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory *DELETED* new [Re: Footbag]
      #6287730 - 01/02/14 02:15 PM

Post deleted by tim57064

Edited by tim57064 (01/02/14 02:27 PM)

Footbag
Post Laureate

#6287738 - 01/02/14 02:20 PM

Quote:

Adam,Link does not work even when replacing with what you suggested.You get something that asks for a password.

L:Loose
P:Rooster

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6287748 - 01/02/14 02:25 PM

Wow,guess I need new glasses,or a new brain. sorry

Footbag
Post Laureate

#6287750 - 01/02/14 02:27 PM

Quote:

Wow,guess I need new glasses,or a new brain. sorry

No problem. Glasses would be cheaper and less risky.

HunterofPhotons
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

Loc: Rhode Island, USA
      #6287952 - 01/02/14 03:50 PM

It works!
What a useful piece of kit.

dan k.

Footbag
Post Laureate

Re: Loose Rooster Observatory new [Re: HunterofPhotons]
      #6287965 - 01/02/14 03:56 PM

Quote:

It works!
What a useful piece of kit.

dan k.

Yeah. It's pretty cool. Besides the fact that I can look at my telescope from work, it has a security alarm.

It's also a 2-way pager.

It's mostly so I can make sure the telescope doesn't hit the pier, but I've come up with a bunch of other uses. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't want me to scare my 3-year old anymore.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7899

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics